Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I am going crazy thinking about all the weird ways mutate can be used. I love it.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Lutri, the Spellchaser has been banned in Commander.

First time ever that a card has been banned when it was spoiled.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Lutri, the Spellchaser has been banned in Commander.

First time ever that a card has been banned when it was spoiled.

i mean, in this case it makes sense since it's literally a must-play in any deck that can run it.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I am going crazy thinking about all the weird ways mutate can be used. I love it.

Seems a lot like an unset mechanic, really.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    eh unsummon would just return all the creatures mutated together back to their hand, that is potentially worse because then they could play them all as separate creatures.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    eh unsummon would just return all the creatures mutated together back to their hand, that is potentially worse because then they could play them all as separate creatures.

There has to be a play where you cast something with mutate, bounce the mutation target while its on the stack, and get the creature for its way cheaper mutate cost.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Would it? Or would it just return the top card of the creature to the hand (and then the underlying card is still a creature and still valid so remains on the battlefield)

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Would it? Or would it just return the top card of the creature to the hand (and then the underlying card is still a creature and still valid so remains on the battlefield)

Mutate is not quite bestow, sadly.
    If a mutated creature leaves the battlefield, all of its components go to the appropriate zone. So if it dies, each card ends up in the graveyard. Any ability that triggers "whenever a creature you control dies" or similar will trigger only once. Same with exile, your hand, or your library. If it's put into a specific position in your library, such as on the bottom or third from the top, you choose the relative order of the cards.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

There has to be a play where you cast something with mutate, bounce the mutation target while its on the stack, and get the creature for its way cheaper mutate cost.

Im not really sure mutate is cheaper on anything but there is always fblthp or the spirit things that sac when they are targeted.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Im not really sure mutate is cheaper on anything but there is always fblthp or the spirit things that sac when they are targeted.

Mutate is cheaper on quite a few cards so far, like the white Anthem card

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I realise it was stupid of me to think that anyone else entering this "make any standard deck you want" thing would try to create their own.

But boy, the amount of depressingly sweaty clone meta decks. I can smell cheetos.

Edit: Fine. If they're not going to be any fun, I will ensure they have no fun either. RDW it is.

dporowski on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    ms0xp43m8sva.jpg

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    This isn't as good as the last few movies but ehh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhj7mx1wfGM

It should have had the 2nd bigger ally monster show up, but then the enemy is bigger! And then ends on a third whistle and shadow. We're doing Godzilla levels of corny here, run with it!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I realise it was stupid of me to think that anyone else entering this "make any standard deck you want" thing would try to create their own.

But boy, the amount of depressingly sweaty clone meta decks. I can smell cheetos.

Edit: Fine. If they're not going to be any fun, I will ensure they have no fun either. RDW it is.

I get that you're frustrated, but could you fuckin' not? We don't need your 90s-ass nerd insults in a 2020 digital Magic the Gathering thread.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Fwiw, I'm enjoying the FNM event. Yeah, there are some clones of the top meta decks, but I'm also seeing plenty of folks with decks that are all about using some big old creatures you never see otherwise or building a deck around making some interesting but impractical card work. I also can't begrudge anyone who's taking this opportunity to play a deck they're curious about but couldn't piece together otherwise, even if I do prefer originality.

I started off by trying some variations on my favorite deck so that I could test them out without needing to burn wildcards. Then I moved on to, "Well, how can I have fun with this Kykar, Wind's Fury card that I just got as a reward?" And now I'm playing a deck in which almost every card is devoted to making tokens other than a little removal and Bishop of Wings and Divine Visitation. Outlaws' Merriment, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer and so on. Would this deck work in ranked play? Absolutely not. But it's amusing when it works and you win a game with like 60 life and a fleet of angels swinging in. Or even just when someone attacks and 4 surprise 4/4 angels spring up from out of nowhere and demolish their forces.

I'll probably tool around with that a little bit more and then make some fun jank deck using a color I almost never play with. Maybe red and based around Purphoros and huge fliers, I dunno. Or a deck based on High Alert and Huatli, the Sun's Heart. Or something else altogether. I'll try 'em all by the time the event is through, and it's been plenty of fun doing so thus far.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I also can't begrudge anyone who's taking this opportunity to play a deck they're curious about but couldn't piece together otherwise, even if I do prefer originality.

That's me. I got pitted up against a blue discard deck that got out 3 Drowned Secrets against me early on and then just spammed spells until I ran out of cards. It really annoyed me and I'm curious to see if that deck actually works well, or is just a 1 trick pony.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I also can't begrudge anyone who's taking this opportunity to play a deck they're curious about but couldn't piece together otherwise, even if I do prefer originality.

That's me. I got pitted up against a blue discard deck that got out 3 Drowned Secrets against me early on and then just spammed spells until I ran out of cards. It really annoyed me and I'm curious to see if that deck actually works well, or is just a 1 trick pony.

You can make a pretty solid blue/black mill/discard deck for sure. I've seen people do it monoblue using Thassa, but that didn't seem nearly as effective against most decks.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

You can make a pretty solid blue/black mill/discard deck for sure. I've seen people do it monoblue using Thassa, but that didn't seem nearly as effective against most decks.

I went ahead and tested it out since I was wrapping up my lunch. I'm still new to MTG so I didn't realize that "casting a spell" is a function of taking the card out of your hand, paying it's cost, and putting on the battlefield. I thought cards that blocked "spells" only blocked things like instants and such. I played it though, and mostly just felt bad, it's a brutal deck when it fires.

I just stole this dude's deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drowning-pool-2/

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »

I went ahead and tested it out since I was wrapping up my lunch. I'm still new to MTG so I didn't realize that "casting a spell" is a function of taking the card out of your hand, paying it's cost, and putting on the battlefield. I thought cards that blocked "spells" only blocked things like instants and such. I played it though, and mostly just felt bad, it's a brutal deck when it fires.

I just stole this dude's deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drowning-pool-2/

That's similar to a deck I used for a while, but I prefer it with black mixed in for more utility. I haven't played it in a while and would probably make some changes now, but the last version I used was:

4xMerfolk Secretkeeper
    4xVantress Gargoyle
    2xTymaret, Chosen from Death
    1xLochmere Serpent

2xNegate
    4xDrown in the Loch
    3xDidn't Say Please
    3xThought Collapse
    3xPharika's Libation
    3xEat to Extinction

2xSweet Oblivion
    2xBond of Insight
    3xRitual of Soot

9xIsland
    4xMystic Sanctuary
    4xTemple of Deceit
    4xWatery Grave

It had Drowned Secrets in there originally, and for quite a while, but over time I found that while they're great when they come out early or in good-to-neutral situations they are horrible to draw when you're in a bad position.

Tymaret and Lochmere Serpent were the most recent additions, and probably an overreaction to coming up against a number of decks that actually enjoyed being milled because they wanted stuff in their graveyard. The life gain from Tymaret was a solid addition regardless though, so I'd probably keep him in. Ritual of Soot gives you a way to come back when you're too far behind for bouncing creatures to matter and also helps with decks based around cheap hexproof creatures. Pharika's Libation went in more recently to deal with Dream Trawlers and any really potent enchantments that didn't get countered.

There's plenty that could be changed and improved, but it's a fun deck that was effective enough to play quite a bit. It's less effective at milling than what I started with, but far more survivable and ended up winning more as a result.

• Options
    I just played against a deck based on Enigmatic Incarnation, Kenrith, and Happily Ever After. Archon of Sun's Grace, tons of pegasus tokens being generated by all the enchantment cycling (well, not cycling, but you know) going on. They were one card away from winning with Happily Ever After and I honestly would have been thrilled if I had seen it happen. Oh shit, I need to win via Happily Ever After sometime today.

Before that I played against an elemental deck that couldn't manage a win condition against all my precious angels and decked itself trying to get a solution.

Lovin this event.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I decided to try out RDW for the event.

And yea... that deck is really dumb.

You can legit just throw cards out with 0 thought and still be successful way too easily.

• Options
    Wow that's some good removal:
    http://www.mythicspoiler.com/iko/cards/barrierbreach.html

<Insert NGE_AT_filed_break.gif>

• Options
    I got the win via Happily Ever After on my first try! I love these dumb events. Funnily enough, it was against someone playing a Divine Visitation deck.

Ok, so I've done that now. I've won by self-milling with Jace/Thassa's Oracle. I've milled people plenty. I've won when opponents have decked themselves. What's another weird win type I can go for?

• Options
    1j1aafcd60a2.jpg
    Sharknado!

• Options
    That was a pretty fun event, I got to build some ridiculous decks that I never would have otherwise.

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    hm interesting the arena cube is starting soon looks tempting

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I am so ready for some cube

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    UR sharknado burn is something that I will build

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get a bunch of common and uncommon wildcards besides taking the same cards in a draft to get excess dupes? I'm trying to build some beginner decks I found and I need a bunch of them.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Buy packs?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get a bunch of common and uncommon wildcards besides taking the same cards in a draft to get excess dupes? I'm trying to build some beginner decks I found and I need a bunch of them.

the main way to get more wildcards, and in fact the only reliable way, is to buy packs, as every pack moves you towards getting another uncommon, rare or mythic rare wildcard.

• Options
    Give me a sanity check on this. I'm currently Mastery level 38 with just over 21k gold. I'm planning on using up the gold to play more ranked Theros drafts until the next set gets here. I'm considering dropping the money/gems for Mastery Pass, so that I can pick up the packs and mythic wildcards I've unlocked already. Making some sweeping assumptions, I can probably get to mid 40s before the next set shows up. If I have enough gold, I can maybe stretch to 50 but I guess we'll see.

I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to flesh out my Arena card collection a bit, and there are a few Mythic rares I'm chasing for some decks I'm toying around with.

I believe earlier in the thread, someone said the math pointed to the Pass being worth it if you're ~mid-70s level???

Please give me your thoughts.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Give me a sanity check on this. I'm currently Mastery level 38 with just over 21k gold. I'm planning on using up the gold to play more ranked Theros drafts until the next set gets here. I'm considering dropping the money/gems for Mastery Pass, so that I can pick up the packs and mythic wildcards I've unlocked already. Making some sweeping assumptions, I can probably get to mid 40s before the next set shows up. If I have enough gold, I can maybe stretch to 50 but I guess we'll see.

I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to flesh out my Arena card collection a bit, and there are a few Mythic rares I'm chasing for some decks I'm toying around with.

I believe earlier in the thread, someone said the math pointed to the Pass being worth it if you're ~mid-70s level???

Please give me your thoughts.

I thought it was worth it at 40 plus. But what do I know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I actually have no idea.

• Options
    Unfortunately the mythics aren't wildcards, found that out the hard way

• Options
    edited April 2020
    orly. They're preselected?

ah, looks like they are random. Does that mean they are random any mythic rare, or random Theros mythic rare?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Don't remember sorry, I'd guess they were any standard mythic like the other card rewards

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think they’re equivalent to ICRs (Individual Card Rewards) so they’re guaranteed to be from standard-legal sets, but don’t get duplicate protection.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

the main way to get more wildcards, and in fact the only reliable way, is to buy packs, as every pack moves you towards getting another uncommon, rare or mythic rare wildcard.

Crap, read that common/uncommon don't get wild cards if you have 4 already. Guess I should buy packs instead of Bo1 drafting?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Honestly just play and open packs. Wildcards (and/or uncommon ICRs) will come. Maybe limit the number of decks you're focusing on at once?