As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That sure is some kind of giveaway.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    1eox1zr0ahmy.png

that is not jaap stam

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    This is not my beautiful wife!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The Athletic had an article today about a really interesting series of videos from Monchi, sporting director at Sevilla FC. Monchi 13 Masterclass:

He basically goes through the entire setup at Sevilla when it comes to the job of a sporting director, how they do their scouting, how they sign players, the importance of trusting the people around you and putting in the work ("the only place succes comes before work is the dictionary"), incredibly open and just fascinating.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So he getsto stay but is going to have to change his name to Goaly McGoalyface.

More seriously: Fuck off who ever thought that was a good idea.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ugh. So for the first time I'm not my 7yo's coach, as it conflicts with Mr 4yo just starting first kicks football.

Went to 7yo first practice tonight and about 40 minutes in the coach asked "who wants to do headers?".

We still haven't banned headers for kids here yet, but my position is that there's no point or value to teaching headers until kids necks are stronger, in their teens. Kids are uncoordinated, and I certainly didn't get anything out of heading or master it until I was bigger and actually had muscle and command over my body, and could understand and engage with the proper technique in a meaningful way. I remember all those people trying to teach me when I was 7, 9, 11, and sure, I guess I could wave my head at a ball and connect or whatever... but it never 'clicked' until I was 15, 17, 19. I mean, I also get the argument the other way, that learning and practicing early might be beneficial and the science is uncertain, but I think it's just a low value waste of time that isn't worth the investment over things like dribbling, turning, controlling, passing and positional play, all of which are far more important fundamentals without any risk, so why bother?

Any way, because of this, my kid shouts back "no, it's dangerous", because we've talked about this... and the coach went ahead and did it any way.

And all he did was lob it up so kids could crack it with their crown. No technique, no teaching, just "hit it with your head".

So I'm fucking frustrated. This guy didn't respect my wishes, what the kid in his care said, or teach them anything like the correct way to head a ball.

So now I have to decide what to do about that.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Alright, I wrote the coach an email, politely outlining my position and preference.

A bit uncomfortable as I haven't actually even said hello to the guy. But better to have the dialogue and engage with him than work around him.

• Options

now this right here is the good stuff

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Fishman I think you're totally in the right here.

I only played rec until freshman year and then gave up on the sport for 20 years. I've picked it back up in my mid to late 30s to in adult rec leagues, so I missed out on most of the more advanced training one would pick up in their teens. It's pretty clear which people played through high school college and which didn't, and quite frankly even at our age and level I wouldn't really recommend headers. I've fucked up one and took it in the top of the head and, yeah, not great even now.

Was it cool when one of our players with competitive college experience swooped in behind the defense on a corner to scoop a header up and over the keeper to win a game. Hell yeah! Would I recommend even trying that to the majority of my team with our varying levels of degrading athleticism and coordination? Hell no!

7 years old is like barely progressing past bunch ball. No need to risk the still developing noggin.

• Options

this is my local team if anyone is interested in adding to their collection. We usually donate 10% of the proceeds but for the next week, it'll be 100%

• Options
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Well, I'm never sleeping again.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    David luiz unaffected by long break, already in midseason form

• Options
    Local indoor arena planning to reopen and complete seasons in progress when lockdown hit.

Like, indoor during the summer sucks hard enough, here please boil on this rubber turf in a metal warehouse while running nonstop on a shorter field.

But in a pandemic? Yes let's crowd all the subs into those 10 foot wide boxes off the field, definitely not a prime target for spread.

They claim masks are required as soon as you sub out, like you won't be breathing all over one another on the pitch?

I want to get back to team sports as much as anyone but, uh, I don't think this is it.

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Local indoor arena planning to reopen and complete seasons in progress when lockdown hit.

Like, indoor during the summer sucks hard enough, here please boil on this rubber turf in a metal warehouse while running nonstop on a shorter field.

But in a pandemic? Yes let's crowd all the subs into those 10 foot wide boxes off the field, definitely not a prime target for spread.

They claim masks are required as soon as you sub out, like you won't be breathing all over one another on the pitch?

I want to get back to team sports as much as anyone but, uh, I don't think this is it.

nooooope.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm still angry about that missed goal against villa

• Options
    Well, I guess one point is better than none.

Though I was watching the united game via DAZN and they've added generic crowd noises what seems like almost directly from a FIFA game. It's fuckin' weird.
    But the actual sound from the pitch itself is much louder than the fake crowd, so you can really hear every punt of the ball and, of course, the entire United team screaming at De Gea.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

Though I was watching the united game via DAZN and they've added generic crowd noises what seems like almost directly from a FIFA game. It's fuckin' weird.
    But the actual sound from the pitch itself is much louder than the fake crowd, so you can really hear every punt of the ball and, of course, the entire United team screaming at De Gea.

yeah they literally teamed up with EA for the crowd noises

its real uncanny valley for me because i'm used to hearing the noises from the game

• Options
    Enjoying Roy’s not even partially concealed outrage and disgust at De Gea, especially with Roy’s new lockdown hair.

• Options
    giving ddg a bumper new contract at the beginning of last season was.... ill advised

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Yeah, so glad we've eliminated it from the community here (NZ). We're 2 games into our winter outdoor season and while my kids are all elbow bumps, the Masters league I'm playing in keeps going for handshakes and I'm like, really?

Fishman on
  • Options
    I mean, it's a good enough substitute in the winter since they don't run outdoor stuff here, but I wouldn't be playing in the summer here anyway, let alone this year

There's talk of starting up outdoor again sometime soon, that's my usual jam from spring to fall, but I'm not even sure I'm comfortable with that. Don't really see distancing as an option on the pitch, even if outdoors

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

yeah they literally teamed up with EA for the crowd noises

its real uncanny valley for me because i'm used to hearing the noises from the game

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me when I heard the crowd noises, because I've also been mainlining FIFA of late and I thought they were very familiar.
    I was half expecting Martin Tyler to pipe up with "Don't know who the lad saw there. Passing to someone in the crowd, maybe"

sig.gif
  • Options
    imagine being an arsenal fan

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Tragic

Funny for everyone else though

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

I firmly believe that my brother became a father because he knew his children could never disappoint him the way Arsenal have.

sig.gif
  • Options

I firmly believe that my brother became a father because he knew his children could never disappoint him the way Arsenal have.

They could become Arsenal fans.

• Options
    you do not stop those

• Options
  • Options
    7t0dj2w8oefh.png

thank u neto

• Options

someone needs to come collect their da

• Options

Imagine signing David Luiz to a one year extension.

• Options
    FIFTY MILLION DOWN THE DRAIN

This discussion has been closed.