As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm in a DOODLIN' Mood

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    cdc4bwfvxvua.png

edit:
    xi4djzowv2ar.png
    I don't know how my lines are getting worse the more I draw lol

Peas on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    0cuckwnheugh.gif

GOOBOT

• Options
    Dang @Endless_Serpents you should make a thread at the artist forums man
    I really like your aesthetics and colors

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Honestly when I have more time I want to get back into art, so look out for it one day during the next millennium celebration!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    s882kxg3bjj2.png
    This is not a doodle despite looking like one lol, used layers and stuff

• Options
    edited May 2020
    qt6ty8oes07b.png

My attempt at trying to do the sailormoon redraw event going on despite not having a twitter account

edit:
    0ryvpijxnnnf.png

Peas on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    doin one a them redraws

xj9u1tkxvkzd.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    s882kxg3bjj2.png

Is that how we determine what a doodle is? I always figured it was a "what can you do in a single sitting" thing.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    OFaG0To.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    r4vaLUH.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Peas wrote: »
    s882kxg3bjj2.png

Is that how we determine what a doodle is? I always figured it was a "what can you do in a single sitting" thing.

I guess for me a doodle is like more free flow and organic instead of being too constructed
    a7nmsandlzau.png

edit:
    Attempt at coloring
    osxgha51s56a.png

Peas on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    r4vaLUH.jpg

I've been wondering why my villagers constantly seem to have doughnuts, and more importantly, why they don't seem interested in sharing.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    redraw drawn

v637aewpef7y.png

bonus:

c4czm5twbp34.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
  • Options
    Jn1ZZ21.gif

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Also, you ever notice how humans see faces in things just as basic pattern recognition?

WOdTdN2.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    that's some baki the grappler shit

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    self explanatory:

gohe9tyoj8iu.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that's some baki the grappler shit

It literally is. Yujiros back muscles are mutant and look like an oni

• Options
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    3nc29ebq9rj5.png

It's my crested gecko, Bauble! She shits in her food dish all the time! She needs to stop that!!!

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Aang/Momo sketch in Procreate.

156ekhkcz2zh.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to give up on digital drawing

I cannot for the life of me make a straight line but maybe one in three tries. It's frustrating. It feels like trying to learn to draw all over again (not that I'm very good at traditional drawing either... The best piece I've ever done is a portrait of my ex that turned out pretty decent...) except with the disconnect between my arm moving and the cursor on the screen.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Take this with a grain of salt because I DID just switch over to a screen tablet, but one thing that helped me adjust to a non-screen tablet was using it instead of a mouse for all my computer related activities for around a week or two.

Saw that advice from a Youtuber (Brad Colbow, I think), and it really did help me start to get over the disconnect between tablet and monitor.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think I'm going to give up on digital drawing

I cannot for the life of me make a straight line but maybe one in three tries. It's frustrating. It feels like trying to learn to draw all over again (not that I'm very good at traditional drawing either... The best piece I've ever done is a portrait of my ex that turned out pretty decent...) except with the disconnect between my arm moving and the cursor on the screen.

here's a fun secret, I usually end up drawing a single line 4 or 5 times before I'm happy with it.

Line, undo, line, undo, line, undo, okay that one looks nice, next line plz.

Don't be discouraged because your lines aren't coming out just the way you like yet.

• Options
    I have been struggling with lines since forever, it's gonna be a really slow burn so just keep drawing mate
    If you don't mind can you tell us what your digital setup is and show us your lines? I have not been diligent with drawing for a while but I will also try to post what my lines look like

• Options
    Also don't be afraid to spin your canvas around to get a good angle at the line you're tackling, you don't have to draw everything with your canvas/paper/whatever pointing right side up

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I do finally have a good cushion on my pc chair so I won't hurt my tailbone as bad so I can theoretically practice more.

And yeah I've got a huion tablet and I use krita, I'm sure I might be able to tweak the settings more somehow. It might also help to change the angle of the tablet as it relates to my body. It sits flat on the desk infront of my moniter above the keyboard tray where I have to reach up slightly to use it with my arms kinda out at a 90 degree angle from my spine which feels less natural that the slight tilt I use on my little drawing table in the opposite corner working with pencils.

And I don't get frustrated as easy with pencils even though my lines are far from prefect there also (I often rely on kinda feath edging them in rough first and going over them more solid after that) probably because it feels more intuitive whereas I don't actually know all the features of krita or honestly the tablet yet not to mention the aforementioned comfort issue.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    In Krita, Shift + Middle Mouse Button rotates the canvas. 5 on the Numpad resets it.

I am the same as Knob in that if I'm doing clean line work I have my hand on the undo and I am constantly redrawing lines. It's a very common compensation for the oddities of tablet drawing.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    And I don't get frustrated as easy with pencils even though my lines are far from prefect there also (I often rely on kinda feath edging them in rough first and going over them more solid after that) probably because it feels more intuitive whereas I don't actually know all the features of krita or honestly the tablet yet not to mention the aforementioned comfort issue.

This is a totally normal way to work, and even Professional Artists do it! If I'm working in traditional mediums, I'll do a really loose and scribbly drawing that looks like shit, then I'll go over it a bit darker and tighten it up until I'm happy, then I'll go over it with a sharpie, then I'll put it on the light table and trace it lightly with pencil, then I'll finally start working on the actual piece of art. The first lines you put down aren't meant to be final ones, it's totally cool to search and experiment and scribble until it starts to look right. You can do the same thing digitally even easier. Do your messy, gestural, searching drawing, then whack a new layer over top. Do a tighter drawing and turn off the original layer. Tighten it up some more. Keep repeating until you're happy and only really worry about nice, confident, flowing lines once you're down to your final pass.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Spoilered for being just boring lines
    u11a56ofurho.png
    rdp4ut0xh20l.png

I did two line practice, one with ctrl z, as you can see one of them is less crappier than the other and even then I took more than 3 strokes on average per line for that. The folks you see with amazing lines are usually the ones with years and years of drawing experience or really intensive training or the combination of both. It's kinda like looking at a speed runner and thinking that everyone else is supposed to be that good at the game. Also it's nice to have beautiful lines but no one is really going to remember an artist just by their line quality alone. I need to follow my own advice but just get something out first and then refine or clean it up on another layer. Lastly you don't need to sacrifice one for another, just alternate between both, you have the tools, it will be a waste not to use them.

I am using a screen-less wacom tablet with clip paint studio.

Peas on
  • Options
    0w21i92yuqt5.png
    Been a while since I drew something so I tried to sketch from photo references

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    One important thing I learned when all I wanted to draw was comic books was from an Erik Larsen interview in Wizard magazine, waaaaaaay back when Image first started. They had some pictures of a Savage Dragon page in process, and it blew my 15 year old mind. If you look at his finished pencils, they're pretty clean, but when he's roughing stuff out everything is an unreadable mess. Super gestural just blocking things out in blue line pencil, but there are lines literally everywhere. You could barely make out where the focus was and even if Savage Dragon was even on the page. It really opened my eyes to how a drawing can start and where it can end up, and let me relax when I was drawing my own shit. Like, if fucking Erik Larsen can turn that gobbledygook in to a finished page, I don't need to continually fret over every single mark I put down on a piece of paper.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I drew a henry rollins because i like henry rollins

1pd6esit91ys.jpeg

• Options
    I diddled up a picture of my favorite Fox News correspondent
    4awgt1bj7lbs.jpg

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Doodle thread, I once again come to you with my hat in my hands and ask for two of your kind to assist in the EPYC.

There has been a tragic split in the timelines and the only way to maintain thread symmetry is with more art. Are there any 1 of you that would like to join?

Perrsun on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    69uvogdobeku.jpg

Metatron