As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Hoping the interview went well. Didn't ask too much about how they were handling things in the Covid era since it's laid out on their website (I asked about financial concerns rather than customer service), which... not sure if that shot me in the foot or not. I think I'll find out before the end of May if I have a second interview or not.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I really don't want to go to work tomorrow.

I assume I'm the first person to ever feel like this.

This implies people want to go to work sometimes?

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Janson wrote: »

I want to work, but I get a nauseous/anxious reaction every time I try to do so beyond just the basic effort, and sometimes not even then!

It's like I twisted my ankle, but instead of my ankle, it's something inside my mind.

Apropos of nothing, I think I failed a class I was taking for my CS degree.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Jokes aside, I’m definitely finding it harder to get any positive motivation happening. I’m basically working out of a combination of not wanting to get fired (and not having been here long enough to know how much I could skate), plus a bunch of internalized self-loathing/anxiety if I go to bed without making headway on a problem. Whereas normally I have at least some positive desire to move forward on a task or project.

I had to get up early for a project kickoff meeting today and I’m putting in some serious thought about just spending the rest of the afternoon napping.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "They called him Jedoc Cottonwoodstump," they'll say. "He walked the length and breadth of this great country with a chainsaw in one hand and an asthma inhaler in the other, and he stone cold murdered every single one of those vile trees."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I gave a thoughtful response to a query about teaching laboratories this coming Fall earlier today and just got volunteered as the departmental representative to a college-level task force.

Whoops!

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I hate that if just one person writes a check, that's a whole separate deposit I have to prepare.

I work at a Target store and recently our guy who handles receiving has been needing some time off for a LOA and such due to him being asthmatic and the whole covid thing, so I got tapped to fill in for him. We mail out our checks weekly to the nearby corporate campus, and being a store in a area with a lot of retirees we get a fair amount of physical checks still. It amounts to maybe a pound a week, but man I can only imagine what it would have been like before debit cards were a common thing.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Jokes aside, I’m definitely finding it harder to get any positive motivation happening. I’m basically working out of a combination of not wanting to get fired (and not having been here long enough to know how much I could skate), plus a bunch of internalized self-loathing/anxiety if I go to bed without making headway on a problem. Whereas normally I have at least some positive desire to move forward on a task or project.

I had to get up early for a project kickoff meeting today and I’m putting in some serious thought about just spending the rest of the afternoon napping.

Yeah, I understand people do sometimes like work but that’s essentially how I feel 100% of the time, except thankfully I don’t always carry projects over to the next day.

But it’s absolutely been tougher lately, too. Working from home is definitely a double edged sword (it might be better if the owners were fine with it).

My job’s about as good as it’s going to get for me, though. The only ideal life is one in which I don’t have to work, and that’s not feasible for the vast majority of people.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Moving somebody into a new position, against their will, that they are not trained for, and not training them for, seems like some really terrible management and a great way to lose good employees for no raisin at all.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Moving somebody into a new position, against their will, that they are not trained for, and not training them for, seems like some really terrible management and a great way to lose good employees for no raisin at all.

Shitface managers do it to flex on good workers to "put them in their place" and establish their authority

Mostly as a show to the bad workers who's boss, because if they do that to a good worker, what will they do to you?

The funny part is those good employees tend to self manage as long as you're not a dick about yelling or time off to the point where you can basically do nothing as a manager and delgate the important shit to them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Yeah, I understand people do sometimes like work but that’s essentially how I feel 100% of the time, except thankfully I don’t always carry projects over to the next day.

But it’s absolutely been tougher lately, too. Working from home is definitely a double edged sword (it might be better if the owners were fine with it).

My job’s about as good as it’s going to get for me, though. The only ideal life is one in which I don’t have to work, and that’s not feasible for the vast majority of people.

yeah sometimes the job is just what gets you a paycheck.
    I'm lucky enough that most of the time my job aligns somewhat with things I would do on my own time anyway, or at least stuff I enjoy doing, but these last few months have been a slog - not least because for infrastructure reasons right now I can only do the parts of my job that involve software dev and as I've bitched about previously, I hate that shit.

Also I hate having to be anywhere (even my own living room) before 10am and am very resentful of externally imposed working hours.

edit: as problems go, though, this is the most middle-class suck-it-up-Sally bullshit imaginable "oh no you no longer feel INSPIRED boohoo" so, under the circs, I really cannot complain.
    Just, fuck 8am meetings right in the earhole.

tynic on
  • Options
    8 am meetings?! Hell no!

And yeah, that really sucks (the only being able to do the worst parts of a job). :(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    8am meetings in general and any meeting after lunch on a Friday can fuck right off.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife, as a publically elected official, has been having live streamed pre-9am and post-6pm public meetings mulitple times a week for the last few weeks.

I don't think she's had 2 consecutive days off since March.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    My wife, as a publically elected official, has been having live streamed pre-9am and post-6pm public meetings mulitple times a week for the last few weeks.

I don't think she's had 2 consecutive days off since March.

blurrrgh to that

• Options
    meetings should be scheduled T-Th between the hours of 11am to 3pm and that's it

if they take place between noon and 2, lunch should be provided

change my mind

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I had stretches for a few months with multiple 9pm meetings per week, so I'm getting a kick yaddah yaddah

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    meetings should be scheduled T-Th between the hours of 11am to 3pm and that's it

change my mind

I have a project kicking off with a bunch of people in Perth, so there is literally zero way to make those meetings within office hours for both ends of the call.

(which is frankly completely fine, I don't mind doing these things at 8pm or whatever. Previously on international collabs I've had meetings at 1am or 4am, so honestly anything after midday is a comparative delight).

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I enjoy WFH and embracing technology because you know, it's the 21st century, but one downside to everyone discovering how convenient video meetings are is now my meetings have doubled in number and length. My last meeting yesterday ran until 7:15pm or so - I don't know exactly because around 7pm I just left the room and hoped nobody called on me.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I found out my company made cuts across the board, so I'm relieved and a lot less sad now that I don't fear my laying off was performance-based.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    my favourite long distance recurring meeting was when I was working remotely from the beach in australia, with no internet and not even any phone reception inside the house, so I would go sit in the sand dunes at 5am with my laptop tethered to my phone while the sun rose, then go for a nice swim before getting back to take the dogs for a run.
    As long as I can somehow stay jetlagged permanently, that would be a schedule I could get used to.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »
    I hate that if just one person writes a check, that's a whole separate deposit I have to prepare.

I work at a Target store and recently our guy who handles receiving has been needing some time off for a LOA and such due to him being asthmatic and the whole covid thing, so I got tapped to fill in for him. We mail out our checks weekly to the nearby corporate campus, and being a store in a area with a lot of retirees we get a fair amount of physical checks still. It amounts to maybe a pound a week, but man I can only imagine what it would have been like before debit cards were a common thing.

All of my deposits go out daily directly to either the bank or the check processor, via armored car pickup. I'm fine if I have to assemble & log tens of thousands in cash deposits. It's when there's just one check, than some relic wrote for say $11, causing me to have to put together a whole different deposit for $11 or whatever the one check is for, that bugs me. And I'm not frustrated with the person who wrote the check, I'm frustrated that we just haven't completely done away with checks yet. I have to write checks once a month, because it's the easiest way I have to make payments on my auto loan and a line of credit through the same credit union. It's easier to write a check and take pictures of the check to deposit it, than any other method of paying that bill. We shouldn't have checks at all anymore! I should be able to make direct payments between two different financial institutions using account information and a robust verification system!

• Options
    Mercade wrote: »
    I enjoy WFH and embracing technology because you know, it's the 21st century, but one downside to everyone discovering how convenient video meetings are is now my meetings have doubled in number and length. My last meeting yesterday ran until 7:15pm or so - I don't know exactly because around 7pm I just left the room and hoped nobody called on me.

Work from home should still totally adhere to standard office hours. There are totally bosses/managers/leads out there who will try to keep people in meetings all night because "Well it's not like you have anywhere else to go/we've all gotta pull together/come on be flexible" when really they just don't have anyone else to talk to and don't want to be alone.

• Options

change my mind

I have a project kicking off with a bunch of people in Perth, so there is literally zero way to make those meetings within office hours for both ends of the call.

(which is frankly completely fine, I don't mind doing these things at 8pm or whatever. Previously on international collabs I've had meetings at 1am or 4am, so honestly anything after midday is a comparative delight).

Yeah meetings with people across the world should either have them flown in for a week, or be done handled via email and with project managers for big deal things. Maybe... maybe after hours for lots of overtime or big salaries.

• Options
    my favourite long distance recurring meeting was when I was working remotely from the beach in australia, with no internet and not even any phone reception inside the house, so I would go sit in the sand dunes at 5am with my laptop tethered to my phone while the sun rose, then go for a nice swim before getting back to take the dogs for a run.
    As long as I can somehow stay jetlagged permanently, that would be a schedule I could get used to.

work hates when I go off grid for camping and hiking and stuff on my vacations, they do the whole "just be available within a few hours if it's an emergency" lol nope sorry, nothing is that business critical you're not amazon.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

change my mind

My problem with that is if lunch is provided, it's going to be bad, and it means more time allotted for the meeting, to spend it with people I don't want to be around. I've got work to do, let me go do it

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Pre quarantine I did WFH about 50% of the time, so switching to 100% wasn't too bad aside from having to figure out new ways of doing what were always face to face meetings.

But the kids being home has meant my hours working are fractured and in order to give them extra time I'm both waking up early to get work done as well as working into the evening to finish. There have been a few weeks where I realized I barely had any time to decompress and it, along with general coronavirus stress, was really putting me into a rough emotional state.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

change my mind

My problem with that is if lunch is provided, it's going to be bad, and it means more time allotted for the meeting, to spend it with people I don't want to be around. I've got work to do, let me go do it

Nothing feels better than purposefully picking meeting times to avoid having a meeting with someone you dislike when you know their schedule and waiting for the other people to relent on including them.

I may or may not do this for coworkers and external contractors who are perpetual meeting extenders and tangent generators (asking stupid questions that aren't relevant).

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »

Work from home should still totally adhere to standard office hours. There are totally bosses/managers/leads out there who will try to keep people in meetings all night because "Well it's not like you have anywhere else to go/we've all gotta pull together/come on be flexible" when really they just don't have anyone else to talk to and don't want to be alone.

Totally agree, however we have meetings with teams around the world so it's a give and take. I'd rather have a meeting run until 7pm than have one start at 8am, that's for sure

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options

change my mind

Yeah meetings with people across the world should either have them flown in for a week, or be done handled via email and with project managers for big deal things. Maybe... maybe after hours for lots of overtime or big salaries.

uh
    ok well utterly bonkers carbon footprint aside (and cost!) how exactly do you handle that for 3/6/12 month projects? five year projects? These kind of things ain't one-and-done, they are ongoing and evolving. When you say "with project managers" do you mean only the project managers get to speak to each other face to face? Cause I'll say right now, for research that's a big wet fart in terms of both idea generation and analysis/critiques. Discussions between team members need to happen, and a lot of the time they are simply not going to be as effective over email or chat services.

Like, I get your pushback here against having work meetings push into non-work time, and yes absolutely this stuff should be kept to a minimum for multiple reasons, but my fix would be to first find meeting times that people can actually make and then eg. allow people to take time off in lieu if they're not within the standard 9-5 (on top of that fixing the work day at 9-5 is already arbitrary and bullshit anyway, I personally work better with a 10-7 schedule, and I know we've had this discussion).

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Left to my druthers I honest to god work a noon-4 pm, 10 pm-2 am schedule for optimal productivity, but turns out that shit doesn't fly outside of grad school.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Left to my druthers I honest to god work a noon-4 pm, 10 pm-2 am schedule for optimal productivity, but turns out that shit doesn't fly outside of grad school.

And you're just now letting me know??

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

oh yeah, no, this is the high point as far as scheduling goes. After grad school it's all downhill until retirement.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

change my mind

uh
    ok well utterly bonkers carbon footprint aside (and cost!) how exactly do you handle that for 3/6/12 month projects? five year projects?

Pre-COVID-19: One-ish-week (minimum 5 days in the lab) technical sync-up and hands-on lab work with 2-7 people traveling to destination office roughly every 3-6 months. Every 12 months is a big sync-up with program management and a shit load of free food. Get 3 years in and then cancel that project. Shake with ice. Pour into a martini glass.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah sorry dog once they slap you on the ass and release you into the wild you're going to lose the amazing scheduling benefits that you don't even appreciate yet.

• Options
    edited May 2020

change my mind

uh
    ok well utterly bonkers carbon footprint aside (and cost!) how exactly do you handle that for 3/6/12 month projects? five year projects?

Pre-COVID-19: One-ish-week (minimum 5 days in the lab) technical sync-up and hands-on lab work with 2-7 people traveling to destination office roughly every 3-6 months. Every 12 months is a big sync-up with program management and a shit load of free food. Get 3 years in and then cancel that project. Shake with ice. Pour into a martini glass.

Carbon footprint problem still stands, and this is highly discipline and project specific. For my field (fields? tbh I never work with other engineers), usually for anything long term we'll try and meet up in person at some point (at conferences if not direct institutional visits), but it's pricey and we really have to justify the latter if it's intercontinental. (Lab-work-specific visits are different, but if resources are that localised and someone at another institute needs access that badly we'll try and embed them for at least 6-10 weeks).

tynic on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    This is exactly what salary is for. Sure you worked till 8pm on Thursday. that SHOULD mean that you get off early on Friday or make up the time somewhere else, not just that you ended up working a 50 hour week. *here, we'll pay you for 40 hours, figure out when you need to work them*

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah sometimes you need to work silly hours because people insist on living in silly places (California). We could fly everybody about for every meeting but then we'd just live on planes and need to find a way to do la work during flights.

The good news is that Cv19 looks like it'll kill off lots of our business travel long term as people realise that sometimes you can make it work, so I'll probably only be going places a few times a year.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

It can happen. Have I ever mentioned the time when my job was to drive around in the wilderness and look for cheetahs and elephants?

• Options
    I write my own work schedule. I also pretty much come & go as I please. I write myself a 40 hour work week, but I usually end up somewhere in the mid-30s because after about 34 or so hours, I hit a different tax bracket or something and my net pay barely budges. So yeah, I leave early a lot. All of my work gets completed, I'm just not wasting extra time pretending to work or looking for busy-body stuff.

Which leads to odd observations like two days ago, as I was leaving work, I looked at my watch, and said to myself, "Shit, I accidentally worked a full shift.".

This discussion has been closed.