Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Are they going to tighten up the graphics on level 3?

I can't help but see these alert ratings along the lines of the little chilli hotness ratings on a jar of sauce, we're down to a medium balti but it's probably not great until we hit korma levels

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I can't help but see these alert ratings along the lines of the little chilli hotness ratings on a jar of sauce, we're down to a medium balti but it's probably not great until we hit korma levels

What are the poppadums in this analogy?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Newspapers reporting on the outbreak in China, something to start off with whilst you decide what to go with, but aren't going to last the whole meal. Which is why you get a track and trace naan, even though you know this means it's all going to be too much and you'll never finish it all.

The Cobra represents all the extra everyone is drinking at home, and the restaurant is probably in Barnard Castle. Might be in London instead. We should know on the way back , if the eye wateringly hot curry we went for has also cleared up those vision problems we were having.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

What are the poppadums in this analogy?

they are probably the ads about protecting the NHS that are on all the time, a key part of the meal but somehow disappointingly bland and someone always ordered too many

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Katie Hopkins has been perma banned from twitter.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I feel like it's a matter of time until right wing shitheads go make their own twitter platform where they can be as bigoted as they like. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out, it's tempting to think it would at least give the rest of us some peace but I'm not sure we'd be that lucky. Things I can pretty confidently predict in such a scenario,
    • It'll make the bubble problem even worse
    • It'll make people on it even more extreme when they're in a total circle jerk
    • It'll end up being used as a base to stage attacks on other platforms (no one is going to stop "owning the libs" just because they don't share a space with them any more)
    • Future conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic will be taking note of how Trumps info war with non-conservative platforms goes, whether he's successful or not the fact he's able to stage the attempt without consequence is going to encourage them
    • There will quickly be a huge free speech bust up when someone gets charged with hate speech on fascist-twitter because the law steps in to moderate where the platform won't, doubly so if the platform gets held accountable

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ism't that Gab, or Mammoth, or whatever

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    They've tried it, and it turns out explicitly courting bigots isn't a great way to get a bunch of ad revenue.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are a few conservative social media alternatives and they're pretty much all racism and internecine conflict that no one outside of the platform pays attention to.

Deplatforming works.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Plus when you base your platform on "free speech above all else", invariably, the nonces turn up, and you get kicked off whatever hosting company you're using.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Sorry to clarify yeah of course such places exist but how long until there is a mass migration of mainstream conservative figures over to them.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Sorry to clarify yeah of course such places exist but how long until there is a mass migration of mainstream conservative figures over to them.

Probably never as they have nowhere near the reach of the major platforms and normal people won't joint them because of, you know, the cesspool.

They are very much platforms of last resort and will likely stay that way.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm going to be unpopular and say that I'm glad the government has reduced us to Defcon 3 or whatever

It means we're on track towards opening up more in July

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Considering the importance right now isn't conservative dogma, but loyalty to Trump(see: Trumps utter whining at Fox at the moment), not sure.

• Options
    Well that makes me feel a bit better.

Off you fuck Katie Hopkins. Back to the obscurity you should have faded into five minutes after you were kicked off the apprentice.

• Options
    "Fuckity bye", as the saying goes. :+1:

• Options
    The only thing that annoys me about this is just the timing and the fact they won't specify what exactly got her banned. Those two things just make it feel less like Twitter fairly and impartially implementing its own rules and more like a shot in the ongoing spat with Trump. Hopkins should have been banned years ago and I'm pretty sure if she hadn't been a Conservative infosphere affiliated person with a newspaper column and had just been some random nobody, any one of a hundred vile things she's said would have gotten a ban without a seconds thought. She should have been deplatfomed because she's a fascist and it's the right thing to do, not because it annoys Donald Trump.

I hope I'm wrong and it was just a coincidence.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    She has a newspaper column as well?

Maybe she'll elaborate there, and somebody I follow on Twitter will post a screencap because I'm sure as hell not going to bother looking it up

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I don’t think she’s had a column for a while.

• Options

Maybe she'll elaborate there, and somebody I follow on Twitter will post a screencap because I'm sure as hell not going to bother looking it up

Had. She was punted off it a while back. I think Twitter was her last way to reach large numbers of people.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Oh well

Guess I'll just have to forget she ever existed

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Honestly I struggle to see it as a win just because it's awful she had any kind of platform at all

Any newspaper or social media site which allowed her to spread her poison needs to be fucking crucified

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm going to be unpopular and say that I'm glad the government has reduced us to Defcon 3 or whatever

Or more likely that you're off track and everyone driving has closed their eyes and is repeating "this is fine this is fine this is fine"

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Or more likely that you're off track and everyone driving has closed their eyes and is repeating "this is fine this is fine this is fine"

Quite possibly but you know what? Fuck it

I'm sick of staying inside by myself all the time. If I'm allowed out I'm going out.

Solar on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Had. She was punted off it a while back. I think Twitter was her last way to reach large numbers of people.

she has working Instagram apparently, because the Zuck dgaf...

manji on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

https://local.theonion.com/city-enters-phase-4-of-pretending-coronavirus-over-1844037065

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Oh well

Guess I'll just have to forget she ever existed

I had forgotten til this popped up! It was a wonderful time, a time of not knowing she existed...Now hopefully this will be the last I hear of her for even longer.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    manji wrote: »

Only a matter of time before she gets a gig writing for Quilette.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the datapraxis analysis smells a bit of "employing a consultancy to say what we want to hear" the moment it strays off the demographic figures

*snip*

why yes I, the Labour Party Member, was just about to advocate not attracting a coalition of voters broad enough to return Labour to government. Or to advocate a strategy that does not build greater public support. Or to advocate an incredible and morally unnecessary agenda. Now the party is saved from this grievous error. Thank you very much for your insightful comments.

i thought this was pretty funny as well

"what if we uh, just did all the good things, and none of the bad things. also maybe our leaders should be good instead of bad"

thanks dude. that is definitely what strategic thought looks like

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

I'm sick of staying inside by myself all the time. If I'm allowed out I'm going out.

You are allowed out, and have been told by the government that you should do so for the last few months.

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

You are allowed out, and have been told by the government that you should do so for the last few months.

Which is more than some of us have had.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    oldmanken wrote: »
    manji wrote: »

Only a matter of time before she gets a gig writing for Quilette.

She doesn't get to be that classy, she works for Rebel Media.

Remember Quilette written have to pretend they aren't racist.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the datapraxis analysis smells a bit of "employing a consultancy to say what we want to hear" the moment it strays off the demographic figures

*snip*

why yes I, the Labour Party Member, was just about to advocate not attracting a coalition of voters broad enough to return Labour to government. Or to advocate a strategy that does not build greater public support. Or to advocate an incredible and morally unnecessary agenda. Now the party is saved from this grievous error. Thank you very much for your insightful comments.

i thought this was pretty funny as well

"what if we uh, just did all the good things, and none of the bad things. also maybe our leaders should be good instead of bad"

thanks dude. that is definitely what strategic thought looks like

datapraxis's actual non-vendor-relationship assessment is also known, since, er, they published it: https://www.dataprax.is/tory-landslide-progressives-split

"shit's tough, yo, I don't envy you" wouldn't make for a very rousing rallying cry, one concedes

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in Scotland

(The Sunday National is a Scottish Sunday newspaper, the poll was run by Panelbase)

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Sorry scotland, 52 is the magic number. Any higher and your poll was overrun by activists, or some bollocks.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    This in the context of starmer saying he wants Scottish Labour to be the "voice of the Union".

The issue with this being that it is not at all clear that it is a vote winner. Being vocally unionist in Scotland has a similar image problem to being an "English patriot" of the flag waving type does down south. Most voters don't feel that strongly about it, and Labour explicitly positioning itself as pro union means that by definition it's chasing voters who are either solidly Tory or the kind of fringe that makes people nervous (e.g. the lodges, Rangers supporters, etc).

In the abstract I would guess that most Scottish voters (whatever their indy stance) have become comfortable with the idea of Westminster elections in Scotland being run on Scottish issues, so it's hard to see why Starmer thinks that subsuming those for rUK issues is likely to attract people back to Labour.

• Options
    It'll be interesting to see how Starmer attempts to thread that needle and will be the first really telling test of him as a leader. The issue is as Japan points out the most enthusiastic unionists don't actually care about the union it's always a veneer for something else, sectarianism, ethnic nationalism ect. It will be just as disappointing if he goes for the burying your head in the sand approach that Labour figures have been using in the absence of trying to come up with a well thought out, positive case for the union.

Ultimately I'm not convinced anyone can come up with a left wing argument for the union, and Labour trying to poach right wing voters from the Tories is such an obvious non starter it's stupid to even try. As usual I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong on this but I seriously doubt that'll happen.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I still lived in NE England during the last indyref, and at the time my opinion was that Scotland should stay part of the Union, based largely on membership of the EU and some lingering worries about how the country would disentangle itself from the various UK economic institutions.

Since spending 5 of the last 6 years in Scotland, the EU issue has flipped on its head and the other I've come to realise cannot be resolved smoothly, whoever's in charge. I believe wholeheartedly independence is in Scotland's best interest, and judging by the cumulative opinions of those I meet, inevitable.

I have never knowingly met a Scottish Labour supporter. If they are left, centre left or a centrist, they support either the SNP or the lib dems, and the Conservatives get the rest. I've lived on the west coast and now the far north, which were never labour strongholds (as far as I know), but it is telling nonetheless.

If the SNP were doing poorly (which they aren't), and the Conservatives were demonstrating the value of the union by dynamic leadership at home and scintillating deal-making abroad (which they aren't), there might be some ground for a Labour-led unionist movement (but there isn't).

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The prospect of moving to an independent, member of the EU Scotland is mightily tempting (if not many many years away).

This discussion has been closed.