As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 3: not really about Minneapolis at this point

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    E: fake, I took the bait

Sorry for cluttering the thread

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    kanye kidnapped my wife and took her away to a palace under the sea and i can't figure out how to get through his damn labyrinth of riddles. i've been trying for fifty years and now i am a wizened old man with a long white beard while my wife remains eternal and ageless in her prison of crystal

that's rough, buddy

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Eat the rich.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Eat the rich.

So we're back to cannibalism...

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Eating the rich is the only ethical consumption under capitalism.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Under capitalism, the rich are the only truly renewable resource.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    When plant based meat substitutes become commonplace the rich will be the only ethical meat to consume.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Please don't eat the rich. That's how you get prions.

Instead, please dispose of your rich by burying them in farmlands.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you can't convince me to eat people as long as I know that kuru is out there

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

desperate times call for desperate measures

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Typically, it manifests most often from eating the brain (which has the highest concentration of prions) followed by various other neurologically rich tissue; as long as you avoid brains and spinal columns, stick to the fleshy bits, and eat your green vegetables, you should be okay for the most part.

How I know this is obviously Wikipedia.

Why I know this is ... well, I have an fondness for random, weird, grotesque and generally esoteric knowledge. Also, weird shit makes great backstory and set dressing when you play/plan some D&D.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I mean, it's extra steps, but what if we feed the rich to pigs, and then eat the pigs? That get us around the disease vectors (Y'know, provided the Dragon Sickness doesn't carry/catch?)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I mean, it's extra steps, but what if we feed the rich to pigs, and then eat the pigs? That get us around the disease vectors (Y'know, provided the Dragon Sickness doesn't carry/catch?)

I don't want to eat cops.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Cops are good eating, but they’re a bastard to clean

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Under capitalism, the rich are the only truly renewable resource.

Wait, is this what people meant by 'you are what you eat'?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I wish I understood what was going on in Ted Wheeler's mind.

Is it as simple as he has effectively zero control of Portland police? Cause what the fuck.

Edit: Also, Greg Doucette's list is at almost 700 entries now, though some are different angles of the same incident. So.

Label on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »

Is it as simple as he has effectively zero control of Portland police? Cause what the fuck.

Edit: Also, Greg Doucette's list is at almost 700 entries now, though some are different angles of the same incident. So.

Part of me thinks it's a case of if people hold police accountable, they're going to also hold politicians accountable. And we can't have that, now can we?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Label wrote: »

No mayor or city manager truly controls their police force. Even the higher ups in police forces don't control the police force. Police control themselves... if they feel like it.

We are seeing what happens when they don't feel like it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A great number of people I work with claim it is wrong for Hong Kong to ask for independence or at the start the rights they asked for in the hand back treaty.
    I have asked them when was Hong Kong founded? Who founded it and why? When it was given back to China? and many other questions
    One person figured out I am trying to force them to get their news elsewhere than facebook and at least look up things before blindly jumping into a conversation

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    No mayor or city manager truly controls their police force. Even the higher ups in police forces don't control the police force. Police control themselves... if they feel like it.

We live in a police state. The police are the true rulers of the municipalities, with effective control of budget and law. They are the ones who decide who is protected by the law and those who are merely bound by the law.

BTW the Golden State Killer was a cop. He had to be captured by efforts of civilian sleuths because the cops pretended total incompetence. They protected their own, and it makes me wonder how many uncaught serial killers are just straight out police.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

We live in a police state. The police are the true rulers of the municipalities, with effective control of budget and law. They are the ones who decide who is protected by the law and those who are merely bound by the law.

BTW the Golden State Killer was a cop. He had to be captured by efforts of civilian sleuths because the cops pretended total incompetence. They protected their own, and it makes me wonder how many uncaught serial killers are just straight out police.

Not the first time it turns out the serial killer was a cop, and a bunch of people knew it before he was finally "caught", iirc.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

Not to mention all those unprocessed rape kits.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I seriously wonder how many women have gotten away with being serial killers because they lived in a community that was incapable of conceiving that they could commit acts of violence

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I seriously wonder how many women have gotten away with being serial killers because they lived in a community that was incapable of conceiving that they could commit acts of violence

If you were wondering, this is one of those times where this would have been better off inside your head

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh you didnt enjoy that either huh

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Dogg

Is this at all relevant to what's going on with the cops aiding the golden state killer, who was a cop?

• Options

Dogg

Is this at all relevant to what's going on with the cops aiding the golden state killer, who was a cop?

Emmit Til

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Dogg

Emmit Til

"Emmett Louis Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was a 14-year-old African American who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955, after being accused of offending a white woman in her family's grocery store. The brutality of his murder and the fact that his killers were acquitted drew attention to the long history of violent persecution of African Americans in the United States. Till posthumously became an icon of the civil rights movement.[1]"

Emmett Till was lynched by two white men, Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam after Bryant's wife, Carolyn Bryant, lied about Emmett flirting with her.

Carolyn Bryant was a horrible racist and an accessory to lynching,, not a serial killer

• Options

Dogg

Emmit Til

"Emmett Louis Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was a 14-year-old African American who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955, after being accused of offending a white woman in her family's grocery store. The brutality of his murder and the fact that his killers were acquitted drew attention to the long history of violent persecution of African Americans in the United States. Till posthumously became an icon of the civil rights movement.[1]"

Emmett Till was lynched by two white men, Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam after Bryant's wife, Carolyn Bryant, lied about Emmett flirting with her.

Carolyn Bryant was a horrible racist and an accessory to lynching,, not a serial killer

Yes, and she got a boy killed with just a few words.

So the question is, how many times could she get a boy killed with those same words before people stop believing her or any other person?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That is an entirely different question than the question you initially asked, which was in turn different from the conversation people were having about police covering for serial killer cops

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That seems like a wild hypothetical to be comparing to the GSK

But even if we do entertain it for a moment, that wouldn't really make her a serial killer, in the traditional definitions of the term

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    To equate the death of emmett till to a serial killing in fact trivializes how rampant the type of discrimination white people can get away with is

It is dangerous because it is systemic and those complicit in it are often not aware of the fact, unlike literal serial killers

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    They were talking about that a bit on behind the bastards podcast. About how white women were weaponized against black men, in a way.

Worth noting that women were and are also a marginalized voice in America, not even getting the vote until 1920. Looking at it from that perspective it's also another consciously crafted tool to uphold the the devide between working class white and black people in this country.

Not to say that these women are blameless but I think there is a lot of complicated social pressure on them too.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Dogg

Emmit Til

Yes, and she got a boy killed with just a few words.

So the question is, how many times could she get a boy killed with those same words before people stop believing her or any other person?

That seems like it's partly exonerating the men who actually killed Emmett Till, Carolyn Bryant gave justification for the crime after it happened by tapping into a common racist narrative

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

I don’t know why it took until now to think the thought that the rape kit backlog is at least partly to help cops commit rapes

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Butler wrote: »

I don’t know why it took until now to think the thought that the rape kit backlog is at least partly to help cops commit rapes

Well you hear about all the unprocessed kits and you think "rape culture and misogyny," and that's awful and plausible enough. There's no immediate impulse to then go: "No, it can't be just that, there must be an additional reason that's even more horrific."

Butler on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It's complicated and doesn't break down into an Internet post easily

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.