As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    So the Smash community has a deep rot within it, and a lot of people are getting outed:

-Girthquake (Dedede Main): accused of beating ex-girlfriend.
    -Jtails (Pro Player): Chat logs of grooming and sexting a minor 15 years younger than he.
    -Nairo (Pro Player): Committed statutory rape on CaptainZack when the latter was 15.
    -D1 (Commentator): Accused of rape.
    -Keitaro: Let a minor drink and have sex with him.
    -Cinnpie (Commentator): Statutory rape against Puppeh, when the latter was 14.

This is heartrending.

This might be something better off in another thread. But reading this has brought up one of the issues I've sort of had with the whole e-sport thing, and is being exasperated with the metoo talk.

It is incredibly hard to take most of this seriously when everyone is still using their made-up names. Even more so if you have no idea who any of these people are. I've no doubt that "Cinnpie" raping "Puppeh" is extremely serious. But when said like that... I can't take is seriously. Or at least as serious as it should be treated. But then we get into a real nebulous area, where it's still highly important for some people not to have to use their real name. And the fact that having your real name out there in no way stops you from potentially being a fuckwad. But... it's just like I said. It is very hard to give this the gravitas it deserves when the names sound like My Little Pony background characters.

I think at the very least, the one being accused should be called by the name that'll be written in the court docket.

I'm not sure why hearing one name you've never heard before is that much more impactful than another name you've never heard before, in that case

and if you have heard of them before, surely you want to hear them by the name you know them by?

this feels like a weird thing to ask for

edit: unless you're saying you have trouble connecting an online handle to a human being, in which case... that's probably not a good thing on your part

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It's not overly odd, I think, to find that a goofie internet handle clashes with the seriousness of the situation.

Like if the Nazi's Bismarck had been named instead Boaty von Boatface.

One sympathises.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently we're up to over 50 sexual misconduct accusations in the Smash scene, with the article implying that things in Smash are even more fucked up than the general level of fucked-uppedness in fighting game scenes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

The online adjustments are mainly tweaking matchmaking for preferred rules, adjusting global smash power and letting more people into elite Smash.

Which is all nifty, but this is the kind of thing that typically gets attached to an update that adds a character. Does this mean this update is essentially keeping the seat warm while we have to wait longer for a new character?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    They have already said that remote work has delayed most of their projects.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    They have already said that remote work has delayed most of their projects.

True, though most of us were hoping it would just be a slight delay. Looks like it's going to be a little longer.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I wanna play Battlefield - Small Edition.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hello smash thread.

Richter vs Pikachu is bullshit. I effectively don't have a ftilt. I'm so bad at this game that usually I don't care about losing because I'm just having toddler slap fights with other bads but this got to me.

Edit: after training I realise I was more off than I thought. Still think some of my attacks should have connected thought. Damn rat is too small and too fast to be so strong.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kind of appropriate. The most dangerous thing in Castlevania was always those damned fleamen.:lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Latest patch made Falcon and Pikachu nearly insufferable to play against.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Implying that Pikachu was at any point sufferable is a questionable statement.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

This is fair.

I do play a character with a ranged grab, which de-sufferables the little rat bastard a bit.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

This is fair.

I do play a character with a ranged grab, which de-sufferables the little rat bastard a bit.

Mmm, I think maybe that has more to do with playing a top tier who has the joint-best movement and recovery in the game with the rat :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

This is fair.

Mmm, I think maybe that has more to do with playing a top tier who has the joint-best movement and recovery in the game with the rat :P

ZSS?

Yeah she aight.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    its Doom Slayer
    Or Crash Bandicoot
    Or the Nintendo Badge Arcade rabbit

• Options
    Since the pandemic is making communication with third parties tough, I wonder if we'll get the inevitable Pokemon to pad things out.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Nah, it’s Hyrule Warriors Soldier Link, with shield-surfing side-b, remote bomb barrage up-b, cryonis block down-b, magnesis tether-grab/item thief, chargeable sword-spin neutral-b, and mega-charged sword slash final smash. Maybe the rapid-fire crossbow as mid-air neutral b.
    Because then we can finally have four-swords-Smash!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Since the presentation is so short, I'm not holding out hope for anyone too interesting. But I'd love to be wrong.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The presentation is just long enough for the intro trailer, so it could still be someone interesting, even if they save the full explanation for later.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The presentation is just long enough for the intro trailer, so it could still be someone interesting, even if they save the full explanation for later.

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling like it's a CG trailer plus Sakurai saying "Due to COVID-19, this is taking us longer than expected, so we can't do our usual deep-dive yet, please wait for further news and thank you for your patience."

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It’s three Fire Emblems in a trench coat.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    If we're going "old school gaming icons" I'd guess Ryu Hayabusa. If we're going with what I want, gimme Toad. If we're going with a safe bet, it's a Pokemon rep.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I still reckon it’s a LoZ rep, to go with the new game; either Link 4, Zelda 2.5, or maybe Impa.

If not, then something totally out of left field like a Metal Slug rep.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    If it's a Zelda rep I'd really want Vaati, but that's super unlikely. I'd love Impa.

• Options
    Is Urbosa already in there as a spirit?

Because if not, Urbosa should be in there as a fighter

• Options
    There have been more than enough Yakuza games to justify Kazuma Kiryu. And who better to incorporate the crazy crap from the series into his moves than Sakurai?

89kwnges9re6.png

He then makes Nugget into a business manager. I'm not kidding.

• Options

Urbosa is part of a Spirit battle, yes; the Champions fight has you fight characters representing the four Champions, then Link, and then Zelda. However, Min Min was a Spirit first, so that pattern got broken. Urbosa is possible, regardless of being a Spirit fight.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Urbosa is part of a Spirit battle, yes; the Champions fight has you fight characters representing the four Champions, then Link, and then Zelda. However, Min Min was a Spirit first, so that pattern got broken. Urbosa is possible, regardless of being a Spirit fight.

I'd like another grappler like Incineroar but not shitty like Incineroar

• Options
    Pointed out over at Resetera: October 1, 2019 will mark the 20th anniversary of Monolith Software.

Rex? Advercharacter for their new IP?

• Options
    Crash 4 also releases in 2 days from now.

But it could be anything at all, regardless of current relevance, guh-huh.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Pointed out over at Resetera: October 1, 2019 will mark the 20th anniversary of Monolith Software.

Pyra, on her own. Or throw a curveball with Nia for maximum sass.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Would they really wait an entire year after the anniversary to announce it?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    For the hell of it I looked to see what the rumor du jour is, and it's currently:
    Tracer from Overwatch.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Would they really wait an entire year after the anniversary to announce it?

2020 has been a hell of a year, y'all.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    For the hell of it I looked to see what the rumor du jour is, and it's currently:
    Tracer from Overwatch.

That would probably be the one character I would outright not want to see, and would not buy.
    I'm done interacting with Blizzard's stuff or giving them money, after the Hong Kong thing.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tracer from Overwatch.

Bleh

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I think it's going to be something from Pokemon Sword/Shield, probably Rillaboom.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    I think it's going to be something from Pokemon Sword/Shield, probably Rillaboom.

Rillaboom would be cool, as would Urshifu from the first DLC. Both could potentially have great unique movesets. Rillaboom could be able to place his drum and play around that as a mechanic, and Urshifu could switch between his forms to switch between a fast combo attacker and a slower bruiser type.

• Options
    Question

Has the rumor mill ever been right WRT new fighters?

Because I feel like they've come from out of absolutely nowhere this entire time.