As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »

This is pure madness. The entire Scots language version of Wikipedia is a fake, created by some rando racist in the US.

Well you know, he was no true Scotsman

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That is some major dedication.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Look at Chip cards and readers for an excellent example of banking being pulled kicking and screaming into the next level. The US government had to delay the "must be ready to go by" date like four times because vendors and banks decided they didn't want to.

It's not a government thing, it's Visa and Mastercard. They control the adoption of EMV and other techs by changing their transaction fees based on swipe vs chip vs whatever.

Not trying to pick a fight but it is a government thing. If the federal government said adapt this technology, with no additional fees from the companies doing the transaction, or else we will fine you 50% of your profits every year until you comply, they would get on that shit. It is in the interest of the people, and therefore the government to be able to easily, quickly, and freely access and move their own money. The companies trying to make record profits each year by denying that can fuck off.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Whatsapp web (the web version of whatsapp, so like a browser chat messenger) has dark theme now.

Or it's always been there and I've just discovered it.

Yesssssss. Dark theme everywhere.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Look at Chip cards and readers for an excellent example of banking being pulled kicking and screaming into the next level. The US government had to delay the "must be ready to go by" date like four times because vendors and banks decided they didn't want to.

It's not a government thing, it's Visa and Mastercard. They control the adoption of EMV and other techs by changing their transaction fees based on swipe vs chip vs whatever.

Not trying to pick a fight but it is a government thing. If the federal government said adapt this technology, with no additional fees from the companies doing the transaction, or else we will fine you 50% of your profits every year until you comply, they would get on that shit. It is in the interest of the people, and therefore the government to be able to easily, quickly, and freely access and move their own money. The companies trying to make record profits each year by denying that can fuck off.

This isn't legal in the US, but OK.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I think I need a new wireless router

I doubt speedtest.net is at all accurate, but I'm getting 1mbps on my phone 10' from the router, and 100mbps from a wired PC

This is over 2.4GHz. I'm actually able to get decent speeds over 5GHz, but that signal doesn't make its way from one side of the house to the other

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote:
    Jedoc wrote:
    About a hundred years ago near the end of March, I ordered a replacement bracket for the wrist rest on my keyboard. Since they're a UK company, they gave me the part for free but charged about ten dollars for shipping. Reasonable, and this wobbly wrist rest has been bothering me ever since it broke.

It seems like it should be here by now, but I kind of feel like a dick emailing them about it. "Hey, I ordered a non-essential overseas plastic widget during a global pandemic and it isn't here. Is that...is that because of the global pandemic? I just want to make sure it's because of the global pandemic and not because someone forgot to click a button. Not you, probably. Someone else."

But, you know. I did give them ten bucks.

I suppose it's possible it arrived and someone in this neighborhood is the most disappointed package thief in history.

I emailed them again and it turns out they don't have any tracking information on my bracket, and they're all out of brackets.

So they're going to send me a whole replacement wrist rest.

This is theoretically a good outcome, but I've been hurt before.

Day 108. After waiting a month, I emailed them back to let them know I never received any tracking information. Apparently my order got screwed up again, but they're pretty confident they'll be able to ship it out in a couple of weeks once they finish moving warehouses.

I think we're both just grimly interested in how long we'll keep pretending this is ever going to happen at this point.

Day 152. The latest 4-6 week estimate has come and gone. I have checked for an update, and they have promised that this time it is super for real coming.

The ritual is satisfied for now.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote:
    Jedoc wrote:
    About a hundred years ago near the end of March, I ordered a replacement bracket for the wrist rest on my keyboard. Since they're a UK company, they gave me the part for free but charged about ten dollars for shipping. Reasonable, and this wobbly wrist rest has been bothering me ever since it broke.

It seems like it should be here by now, but I kind of feel like a dick emailing them about it. "Hey, I ordered a non-essential overseas plastic widget during a global pandemic and it isn't here. Is that...is that because of the global pandemic? I just want to make sure it's because of the global pandemic and not because someone forgot to click a button. Not you, probably. Someone else."

I suppose it's possible it arrived and someone in this neighborhood is the most disappointed package thief in history.

I emailed them again and it turns out they don't have any tracking information on my bracket, and they're all out of brackets.

Day 108. After waiting a month, I emailed them back to let them know I never received any tracking information. Apparently my order got screwed up again, but they're pretty confident they'll be able to ship it out in a couple of weeks once they finish moving warehouses.

I think we're both just grimly interested in how long we'll keep pretending this is ever going to happen at this point.

Day 152. The latest 4-6 week estimate has come and gone. I have checked for an update, and they have promised that this time it is super for real coming.

Thank you for your service. If somebody did not make perform the sacrificial rituals needed to keep the Old Ones asleep we would surely all perish and go insane.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    is there still a website around that does good reviews of PC monitors

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Sure, rtings.com goes super in-depth.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Tom's Hardware does really in-depth reviews of monitors, while also providing a quick pros/cons summary right up front.

• Options

https://displaylag.com/

they don't update with full reviews that often but they do measure input lag and response rates

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Tom's Hardware does really in-depth reviews of monitors, while also providing a quick pros/cons summary right up front.

I picked up a monitor from Dell that I'm super happy with, that I probably never would have if I hadn't read the Tom's Hardware review. Main reason being that I have an nvidia card, and the monitor is Freesync and not listed as being officially g-sync compatible. Their review mentioned that they were able to get g-sync working with it perfectly though, and included a link to a guide on exactly how to do it.

• Options
    yeah i used to use displaylag but that site frankly appears to be dead... everything that came out 9 months ago is pretty much phased out of inventories as far as I can tell

but Toms was great, needed to add another 27 incher to my desk

• Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    I've been happy with using this website for monitor reviews: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mobile firefox seems to have finally released it's big overhaul.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wonder if that will fix my issue with user search on the forums

• Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

You will. ...after

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would love an implant in my skull that helped manage my depression

i trust no one in a position to make one in the modern world

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, manipulate my brain meats! Press a button and trigger a dopamine rush on command, my only limitation being the durability of the device, I sure can't see that potentially going catastrophically wrong!

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Your subscription to positive emotions will expire in 30 days. If your positive emotions are enrolled in our automatic renewal service, we will charge your credit card and initiate a one-year renewal...

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Elon musk is a man who threw a rock at a window to prove how tough it is and it broke.

I would not trust him on this.

Blake T on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I was working for a bank processor and debit company at the time. We kept getting notice from the Federal Government about how "October 10th is the day all businesses need working chip card readers!" then on October 9th "January 13th of next year will be the day all businesses need work chip card readers" I asked why this happens and was told this was the third time. It happened once more before everyone had them. Maybe it was Visa/Mastercard leading the charge and pressuring the government to delay the changes, but they definitely caved on it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

This isn't legal in the US, but OK.

The government isn't allowed to pass laws and then fine companies who refuse to comply with those laws by the deadline? That's news to me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    i would love an implant in my skull that helped manage my depression

i trust no one in a position to make one in the modern world

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Like...maybe if I was sure it had 0% chance to every connect to a network or a widget or my phone, and its been thoroughly tested, but there is no way I wold trust Elon "Loses interest in projects a third of the way through" Musk to touch my skull.

I could be like one of those people who bought into the solar roofs and will soon have no replacement parts or support because they decided the project wasn't making enough money, except with my brain.

• Options
    apparently this brain chip is confirmed to run on bluetooth, so... fucking lol to that

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Your subscription to positive emotions will expire in 30 days. If your positive emotions are enrolled in our automatic renewal service, we will charge your credit card and initiate a one-year renewal...

FAQ:
    Q: I often notice erroneous positive emotions when I see certain products or logos in public.
    A: In order to insure a quality Positive Emotion Experience for all of our customers, our product is subsidized by multiple corporations that automatically trigger the Positive Emotion protocol in your implant when viewed. To cancel this service, upgrade to Positive Emotions Plus Premium for only $24.99 a month, or upgrade to our exclusive VIP Plus Ultra package for $34.99 a month instead, and get exclusive access to an app that will allow you to manually trigger your Positive Emotion Experience, or set up automated prompts to trigger your Positive Emotion Experience to enhance your enjoyment of circumstances that you would otherwise not feel sufficiently positive about (for example: exercising, visiting relatives or eating a nutritious and healthy meal).

Positive Emotions Experience: Let Us PEE in your brain.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

FAQ:
    Q: I often notice erroneous positive emotions when I see certain products or logos in public.
    A: In order to insure a quality Positive Emotion Experience for all of our customers, our product is subsidized by multiple corporations that automatically trigger the Positive Emotion protocol in your implant when viewed. To cancel this service, upgrade to Positive Emotions Plus Premium for only $24.99 a month, or upgrade to our exclusive VIP Plus Ultra package for $34.99 a month instead, and get exclusive access to an app that will allow you to manually trigger your Positive Emotion Experience, or set up automated prompts to trigger your Positive Emotion Experience to enhance your enjoyment of circumstances that you would otherwise not feel sufficiently positive about (for example: exercising, visiting relatives or eating a nutritious and healthy meal).

Positive Emotions Experience: Let Us PEE in your brain.

That Plus Ultra tier would get so many customers. $35/month to make [school/work/other thing you hate but have to do all the time] an enjoyable experience is an unparalleled bargain.

Also it gives you quirky superpowers, or something.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    apparently this brain chip is confirmed to run on bluetooth, so... fucking lol to that

I see no problems with embedding a chip in a squishy fatty water-heavy blob that is the perfect medium to block signals and thus require more power to compensate, thus generating more heat.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am feeling tremendously sorry for the pig. (Not Elon, the nice pig).

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Oh, hello, do you hear that? The sticky sound, as clear as day. Slip, slop... Drip, drop, slip, slop... How extraordinary.

• Options
    If only Elon was half as cool as lady maria

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Building an invisible PC 27:06
    https://youtu.be/Perqf0dOGLk
    Timestamps:
    00:00 - Introduction
    01:44 - Outer Shell
    04:46 - Component Prep
    09:01 - Hardwood Illusion
    16:04 - Final Component Mounting
    17:31 - Cooling System
    19:32 - Bottom Panel
    22:17 - Thermals and Sound Tests

Peas on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote:
    Jedoc wrote:

BREAKING NEWS

I actually got an email with a tracking number. As of today, the package is in a sorting center in the Netherlands. I'm sure this will turn out to be a very swift and straightforward delivery from here on out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I admire your positive attitude about it obviously taking the long way around the world.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So with Google Music going the way of the dinosaur I'm thinking I may as well finally go ahead and buy some cloud storage somewhere to keep a backup of my music collection (and the rest of my backups, why not). Any strong recommendations for those that have used any of the services out there?

I did a rough price comparison the other day between Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive and I think OneDrive was the most affordable in terms of storage/price, and it does have the Windows 10 syncing stuff I guess but I'm not too worried about always on backups, this is really more for upload it and not worry about it (or being able to pull down music a la cart to my phone/tablet).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I am feeling tremendously sorry for the pig. (Not Elon, the nice pig).

I’m very curious what the USDA and AAALAC have to say about this pig. I worked with research animals in graduate school. There are very large regulatory hammers hanging over the head of anyone who does research on animals, and pigs are way up there on the list.

This discussion has been closed.