Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If they are rich, they will probably make money from it even if it isn't as much money as they would have made otherwise simply because they are rich and it is hard for them to fail.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Trade negotiations over the last couple months involved the British side getting ever more bizarre in their demands and effectively demanding extraterritoriality for British nationals and companies in the EU

Stupid shit like making British freight companies exempt from national traffic safety regulations

Platy on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's almost as if they're binning the negotiations on purpose.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

Look.
    Now even australia is laughing at us.
    australia!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Then no trade deal for them, that'll teach 'em!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Considering the current messaging is for an "Australia-style deal" (that is, regular WTO regulations)....

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Considering the current messaging is for an "Australia-style deal" (that is, regular WTO regulations)....

Thinking behind the use of the term "Australia-style deal"...

Typical Brexit Voter: "Australia? They're just like us! Yeah, let's trade with them. Not those foreigners in Europe..."

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

ul4nvchf212r.jpg

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Thinking behind the use of the term "Australia-style deal"...

Typical Brexit Voter: "Australia? They're just like us! Yeah, let's trade with them. Not those foreigners in Europe..."

The great thing is that we can have an Australia-style trade deal with everyone! We won't even have to work for it, they'll just give us that because it's the default state of affairs when you can't agree on anythingthat's how great we are!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Of course. I think it's pretty clear that the Tories have decided that negotiating and agreeing to any sort of a deal with the EU means that they'll be on the hook for the fallout, both the concessions (sovereignty!) granted and the economic hit taken. OTOH, if they make maximal demands, refuse to concede anything, and end up with a no deal situation, then they might have a shot of blaming everything on the EU being unreasonable and/or malicious.

They've told everyone that Brexit will be a good thing, but Brexit will actually be a bad thing, so they've decided to focus their efforts on not being blamed for the bad thing instead of trying to make the bad thing less bad.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Kay Burley continues to have a different minister on each morning, now that Abbott has been confirmed their strategy seems to be feigning ignorance ala "what tanks? I don't see any tanks".

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    From the FT - another high level civil servant is off
    The head of the UK’s government legal department, has quit over suggestions that Boris Johnson is trying to row back on parts of last year’s Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland.

Jonathan Jones is the sixth senior Whitehall civil servant to resign this year, amid growing tensions between the prime minister and officials at the top of the civil service.

Two Whitehall officials with knowledge of the situation told the Financial Times that the Treasury solicitor and permanent secretary of the Government Legal Department was leaving his position due to a dispute with Downing Street over its plans to challenge parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

Those close to Sir Jonathan said he was “very unhappy” about the decision to overwrite parts of the Northern Ireland protocol, part of the 2019 withdrawal agreement, with new powers in the UK internal market bill.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My 18 month old nephew has a cold and went to urgent care last night because he was wheezy. They gave him an inhaler thing but also said he has to have a covid test, and until he gets a negative result everyone in this house has to isolate.

His parents have spent all morning trying to get a test appointment and the website kept erroring out. Now my brother finally gets through to be told the soonest walk-in appointment they can get is in 5 days. In Scotland. We live by Stroud.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    My 18 month old nephew has a cold and went to urgent care last night because he was wheezy. They gave him an inhaler thing but also said he has to have a covid test, and until he gets a negative result everyone in this house has to isolate.

His parents have spent all morning trying to get a test appointment and the website kept erroring out. Now my brother finally gets through to be told the soonest walk-in appointment they can get is in 5 days. In Scotland. We live by Stroud.

With English schools going back the system will be absolutely smashed.

In the week ending 30th of August the UK did a million tests. 3% of those tests were SCottish school children.

PRo-rata that to the UK as a whoel with English schools going back and it's all a bit erk

vw8ihtvbvf3d.png

That the raw number of tests of Scottish school children week by week.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It's hugely frustrating that the government absolutely fucked the response, and everyone said "schools and universities opening will cause big problems" and they were like oh nooo and of course, here we are, and their answer is "young people are just so irresponsible! Terrible behaviour!"

Eat shit you bunch of incompetent bastards

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's hugely frustrating that the government absolutely fucked the response, and everyone said "schools and universities opening will cause big problems" and they were like oh nooo and of course, here we are, and their answer is "young people are just so irresponsible! Terrible behaviour!"

Eat shit you bunch of incompetent bastards

Universities haven't even opened up yet, for the most part. We're going to be looking at a real clusterfuck when they do.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Walk in centres appear to be fictional as far as I can tell

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    He does somehow seem to have gotten an appointment in Gloucester for 15:30 today now. Not sure who he had to bribe for that.

Poor nephew is not going to enjoy being swabbed.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Matthew is a member of the legislative assembly for Northern Ireland.

Lewis is the minister for Northern Ireland.

Simply unfucking believable

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Guardian liveblog doesn't have any details that mean anything to me (might for others though), but I'm pretty sure that NI and the GFA are being introduced to the underside of a bus.
    I would say to my honourable friend that, yes, this does break international law in a very specific and limited way. We’re taking the power to disapply the EU law concept of direct effect required by article 4 in certain very tightly defined circumstances.

- Brandon Lewis

From the liveblog.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I only stabbed someone in a very specific way, that's totally legal your honour.....

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    After work I am going to break several laws in specific and limited ways now that I know it's OK.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    After work I am going to break several laws in specific and limited ways now that I know it's OK.

As long as you say it's part of a vision test I think you can get away with it.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Could we please have adults in charge of the country again? This lot of entitled 5 year olds don't cut it.

Worth noting that the Brandon Lewis response is in reply to this question from Theresa May:
    Edit: Misread, wasn't actually in reply to this, was actually a reply to Sir Bob Neill, also a tory.
    The United Kingdom government signed the withdrawal agreement with the Northern Ireland protocol. This parliament voted that withdrawal agreement into UK legislation. The government is now changing the operation of that agreement. Given that, how can the government reassure future international partners that the UK can be trusted to abide by the legal obligations of the agreements it signs?

Somehow they've managed to make Theresa May look like a better PM by comparison.

altid on
  • Options
    You can break the law if you feel like it

Fucking hell guys

• Options
    Might go to a Coronavirus rave tonight

You know, break the law, in a specific way, l feel like it you know?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    You can break the law if you feel like it

Fucking hell guys

For these feckless wasters it's been true all their privilege soaked lives, so why shouldn't they chance it on a country level?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    It probably plays into some of the values Johnson's voter base actually likes: doing whatever they like, damn the consequences, because they know it's right. Ignoring Johnny Foreigner, breaking rules because they're for other people, etc. There are few sane Conservative MPs left, but I imagine those that do exist are aghast.

Privately, of course. Never in public.

• Options

..weren't you the chap violating letter boxes in the last thread?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Could we please have adults in charge of the country again? This lot of entitled 5 year olds don't cut it.

Worth noting that the Brandon Lewis response is in reply to this question from Theresa May:
    Edit: Misread, wasn't actually in reply to this, was actually a reply to Sir Bob Neill, also a tory.
    The United Kingdom government signed the withdrawal agreement with the Northern Ireland protocol. This parliament voted that withdrawal agreement into UK legislation. The government is now changing the operation of that agreement. Given that, how can the government reassure future international partners that the UK can be trusted to abide by the legal obligations of the agreements it signs?

Somehow they've managed to make Theresa May look like a better PM by comparison.

"The government is now changing the operation of that agreement."

When you're cribbing notes from Darth Fucking Vader, maybe you need to reconsider shit.

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »

..weren't you the chap violating letter boxes in the last thread?

This thread too

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    How exactly do we go out and get all these glorious post-Brexit trade deals when our reputation for upholding international agreements is utterly shattered?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    How exactly do we go out and get all these glorious post-Brexit trade deals when our reputation for upholding international agreements is utterly shattered?

By recruiting former heads of state who are the best at doing bigly trade deals! Might be another candidate along soon.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They're going to sell put everything to the US

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

International deals don't have severable clauses you utter plonker. You can't break one bit and declare the rest still stands.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

International deals don't have severable clauses you utter plonker. You can't break one bit and declare the rest still stands.

Since that's the core of Brexit none of this is surprising.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

This is just like how unfair it is that the US can't get everyone to sanction Iran for violating the nuclear deal, just because we unilaterally pulled out of the nuclear deal and then also assassinated someone.

Unfair!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Wheeeee

(Jim Pickard is at the FT)

The story is basically that the government is rumoured to be planning to unilaterally rewrite the Northern Ireland protocol, which ... isn't how this works

Why would anybody trust a treaty with the UK if they just go back and rewrite stuff like this after you had already agreed to this stuff.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Wheeeee

(Jim Pickard is at the FT)

The story is basically that the government is rumoured to be planning to unilaterally rewrite the Northern Ireland protocol, which ... isn't how this works

Why would anybody trust a treaty with the UK if they just go back and rewrite stuff like this after you had already agreed to this stuff.

This is basic statecraft! It may work internally but you can't pull this off against other countries unless you have a bigger gun and are prepared to use it.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

Since that's the core of Brexit none of this is surprising.

Having their cake and eating it too has been the only real constant in the UK’s Brexit negotiations.

This discussion has been closed.