Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Viskod wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Uh, counterpoint: When facing a deadly and highly contagious virus, maybe don't make people think all's well, and they can go out socializing like normal.

No, you see it is like when the hero of Jaws, the mayor, made sure to keep the beaches open.

Wait when did Ron DeSantis get involved with this?

*Glares in Jimmy Buffett*

The whole time, Viskod.

The whole, god damned, time. :(

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So, the local college is doing great. And by great, I mean they already have over a 1000 confirmed cases since telling the students "Come on back to class and live inside these concrete tombs we call dorms."

Edit: ECU, Greenville, NC for reference.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    [/quote]
    zagdrob wrote: »

Edit whoops meant to link this tweet from the same thread:

Zeynep is a professor / writer who writes lots of articles including one back in March about how telling ppl not to wear masks backfired

The tapes point to the fact that trump and others across the political spectrum knew it could spread in the air way way long ago (early February) and

Do any of you remember guidelines from health officials about ventilation and masking and etc back in February or even March?

The main guidelines were that there weren't enough masks for health care workers and the general public should focus on isolation / distancing instead of buying up N95 and surgical masks healthcare workers needed.

I mean in hindsight, yeah, there should have been a lot of focus on masks - even makeshift ones - but I feel like that one was a rock and a hard place.

The bigger failing is that the administration knew this and didn't implement the Defense Production Act back in January / February to ensure there was an adequate supply of PPE for both healthcare and the general public.

The thing about Public Health is that while it requires medical knowledge it's in many ways much more of a PR position. It's less about the facts and more about getting the public to react the way you want them to. Which means sometimes you can have all the facts but still not know wtf to do and then you fuck it all up.

shryke on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    hm sitting on those tapes till now is cool huh

TBF the only thing that would've happened if they dropped in Feb is Americans would have forgotten it even happened.

I doubt it would've changed a single policy, they would've lied and the news media would have let them get away with it.

I'm still not convinced a single thing will happen past the initial outrage.

No one could claim that Trump was too stupid to understand the risks or dangers.

We would know he was bring deliberately and knowingly malicious in spreading these lies.

And yet people still claim he did the right thing and was 100% justified.

There is no information that will effect Trumls decisions.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fuck Woodward for holding back those tapes when they’re the president’s own fucking words- we’re worse off because too many dipshits only listen to Trump and are killing the rest of us with their irresponsibility

Put that shit put immediately to save lives!!!!!

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The virus isn't what was insurmountable.
    What was insurmountable was Trump having a good response to it, projecting 'positivity'(ie: lieing about the severity) was to make people feel better about Trump's response. They could give two fucks about anyone dieing from it or over 180k as the case may be.

• Options
    Re: the thought that Woodward couldn’t have changed our trajectory with COVID-

Trump gets by with his base for being able to say everyone else saying stuff he doesn’t like is fake, he can’t do that with himself on tape

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fuck Woodward for holding back those tapes when they’re the president’s own fucking words- we’re worse off because too many dipshits only listen to Trump and are killing the rest of us with their irresponsibility

Yeah we don't know what the overall effect would have been, but what would have happened is Trump at least would have had to explain himself and possibly admitted "yes the virus could be bad" I mean it feels like we're in a worst case scenario, this could have only helped, but you know selling books.

Fuck Woodward.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I’m going to a funeral tomorrow for a 43 year old friend with a high school senior daughter who died of COVID because of this shit

Fucking fire Bob Woodward into the sun

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Re: the thought that Woodward couldn’t have changed our trajectory with COVID-

Trump gets by with his base for being able to say everyone else saying stuff he doesn’t like is fake, he can’t do that with himself on tape

Yes he absolutely can. Does it quite often.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

Yes I'm totally sure that proof that Trump did something naughty would have made a difference this time.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    You take the chance anyway!

Woodward has no fucking soul, this is vile

• Options
    Like we're in worst case scenario. There is no worse than our current idiotic ham handed fucking moron response to this virus. Woodward not being a craven asshole could have saved lives perhaps thousands. But no he's Burke and this is our hell.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm really wondering where people get the idea that him releasing this tape does anything

At the very least doing it now means theres that slight of a chance of a tiny portion of the notoriously fickle American public remembers it at the polls.

He releases it in Feb when it hits then nothing changes AND nobody will give a shit.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    None if this is new information. We knew at the time that Trump was downplaying it / not taking it seriously, and that it was a deliberate decision he was making. People who don't like Trump knew it, people who do like Trump didn't believe it, and Bob Woodward wasn't going to be the one to change anyone's mind on it in March. Or now, really.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    None if this is new information. We knew at the time that Trump was downplaying it / not taking it seriously, and that it was a deliberate decision he was making. People who don't like Trump knew it, people who do like Trump didn't believe it, and Bob Woodward wasn't going to be the one to change anyone's mind on it in March. Or now, really.

Yeah, this is just confirmation that he's malevolent as opposed to incompetent for the people who have absolutely not been paying attention.

My first reaction to the story was "well no fucking shit, didn't everyone know this?"

• Options
    I'm really wondering where people get the idea that him releasing this tape does anything

At the very least doing it now means theres that slight of a chance of a tiny portion of the notoriously fickle American public remembers it at the polls.

He releases it in Feb when it hits then nothing changes AND nobody will give a shit.

More masks!!!!

Stop thinking of Trump’s response

• Options
    Woodward clearly believes it means something

• Options

More masks!!!!

Stop thinking of Trump’s response

Trumps response is why we're here.

He ACTIVELY sabotaged state efforts. HE IS the reason other places could not respond how they wanted.

Pretending this changes the calculus is absurd.

• Options
    Some semblance of hope Jungle. We are approaching 200k dead and big news today a reporter knew the president was lying and didn't tell anyone, that feels pretty fucking bad. Like if you knew someone was going to murder someone and didn't say anything you can't go "well what I knew wouldn't have changed that murder"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You’re missing the point

Woodward believes it’s notable, which is why it’s the lead for his book’s marketing

And that’s the problem

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Some semblance of hope Jungle. We are approaching 200k dead and big news today a reporter knew the president was lying and didn't tell anyone, that feels pretty fucking bad. Like if you knew someone was going to murder someone and didn't say anything you can't go "well what I knew wouldn't have changed that murder"

Like was previously said, this is not new info.

We knew he was sabotaging efforts and taking PPE from states that didn't vote for him and giving it to states that did.

We knew he sent PPE to China at our own expense, and was told multiple times of the disease and how bad it was.

The only thing the Woodward interview shows is the cliffnotes of the past 9 months of shit anyone that's been paying attention already figured out, and already he's being proclaimed as a hero for saving the US from panic and infection despite reality screaming directly into their face.

Hope is dead to me with this man, and has been for at least a year.

• Options
    He had him on tape lying, its one thing to know its another thing to be flat out told "yeah I'm underselling this shit." Again this could have saved lives, but Woodward wanted to make money, that's all he cared about not the dead, but how much money he can make in what's left of his existence.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You’re missing the point

Woodward believes it’s notable, which is why it’s the lead for his book’s marketing

And that’s the problem

And again, if he released in feb then zero changes and nobody remembers it come November.

He will not be brought up on charges as he runs the Justice Department.

He will not be impeached because it's utterly hopeless that will do anything.

He will not be decried by his own party because lol

He will not lose his core supporters

The only hope that this changes anything at all is that it comes out with just enough time before the election for it to stick, but if the quarter billion other horrific things he's done haven't stuck then why the hell would this?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Woodward’s only risking money he doesn’t need by releasing for a chance to save lives

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    He had him on tape lying, its one thing to know its another thing to be flat out told "yeah I'm underselling this shit." Again this could have saved lives, but Woodward wanted to make money, that's all he cared about not the dead, but how much money he can make in what's left of his existence.

I wish I could express through text that this has been (time and time again) proven to not mean shit to about 43% of the country.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Anyone that isn't a shit head knew the president has been lying, all these tapes do is clarify that it wasn't pure uninformed stupidity and narcissism fueling those lies. It was informed stupidity and narcissism fueling those lies. He wasn't leading a bad response and lying because he was too dumb to know how bad the virus was, he was lying because he was so dumb he thought a pleasant lie would be better than the horrific truth.

• Options
    Woodward’s only risking money he doesn’t need by releasing for a chance to save lives

• Options
    The cynical Trump take doesn’t really work here given Woodward’s circumstances and actions

• Options
    The cynical Trump take doesn’t really work here given Woodward’s circumstances and actions

You can call it cynical if you want, I call it paying attention.

Trump killed well over 100,000 people due to his inaction. Woodward release his tape would change nothing, and there is nothing from the last 3 years and 9 months of this waking nightmare that show that it would have.

However, we've got a ton of evidence of presidents losing their race 3 months before election.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Woodward is squeaky clean, but maybe you should save the majority of your wrath for the man actually responsible for the nation's catastrophic response to the virus. "Maybe if Woodward had done this or that, it would have changed the narrative"? I doubt it, but I'm willing to accept there was a small chance of moving the needle.

But you know who had absolute agency and ability to change the narrative at any time? Trump. It was always Trump.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Having a hard time squaring “Trump’s own words on tape wouldn’t make a difference” in March or May or with “Trump’s own words on tape might make a difference in November”

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Having a hard time squaring “Trump’s own words on tape wouldn’t make a difference” in March or May or with “Trump’s own words on tape might make a difference in November”

It's about moderates actually remembering it happening, and in this case 6 months can make a big difference.

Just as a quick memory exercise, nobody in here probably remembers Vindman without googling.

That happened in February.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I have enough rage for both thanks

I brought this to the COVID thread specifically because fuck the politics of this

Like, you don’t think it’ll make a difference, you release it anyway, even if the chance is basically zero because the risk-reward is clearly in the “try to save lives vs personal enrichment” column. And your audience is the public, not playing a “gotcha” with Trump.

If you think it’ll be noteworthy, which we know Woodward does, you really have no excuse

My *new* rage is 72% at Woodward and 28% at the way our media plays this stuff for drama and money instead of fulfilling their role of giving people information they need when they need it

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

No one was voting to make a difference in March, unless you think this information would have cause Trump to change his rhetoric or get impeached.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

No one was voting to make a difference in March, unless you think this information would have cause Trump to change his rhetoric or get impeached.

Stop thinking about Trump!

It might have changed tens of thousands or more of people’s behavior earlier!

• Options

If thousands of doctors from around the world didn't already, why would this?

The people in this case most likely to listen to Trumps words are the exact same people going on anti-mask tirades, large country concerts, parties on the beach, and shooting store security guards for trying to make them wear it.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    We were also getting new instructions daily back in march, some of which were in conflict with others.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited September 2020

The people in this case most likely to listen to Trumps words are the exact same people going on anti-mask tirades, large country concerts, parties on the beach, and shooting store security guards for trying to make them wear it.

You only need to save 1 life to make releasing the tapes when he made them worth it

Also it’s a tape

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

You only need to save 1 life to make releasing the tapes when he made them worth it

Also it’s a tape

Nah.
    How many lives has Trump extinguished?
    How many then would Trump being reelected take?

It's probably not the calculus being used by the author, but releasing closer to the election probably saves more lives.

This discussion has been closed.