As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quarantimes 2: Quarantine Harder

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fuckin

Why do Americans love corn so much??

Corn rules everything around me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    it tastes good in nearly every form

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not much of a fan of corn.
    ... polenta is ok, in small amounts. That's about my limit for corn-based food.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I do not like corn. It is already in practically everything else I consume, I don't need to actually try to eat more.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

So, a polenta pit is more your speed than the corn barn is what I'm hearing

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I love fresh picked corn on the cob, boiled with some butter and pepper.

• Options
    polenta, elotes, and stuffed cornbread are my favorite corn foods

corn chowdah is good too

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cello wrote: »

So, a polenta pit is more your speed than the corn barn is what I'm hearing

I'd at least dip a toe.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's low-maintenance and they put corn syrup into everything

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Here are the three most Jedocesque things I have ever written on this website:
    1. I spent quite a bit of time as a kid in grain silos with a rope around my waist knocking corn encrustations off the walls with a monkey wrench. So I know that field corn is great ball pit material. Very smooth and slithery and pleasant to touch, would love to roll around in some right now.
    2. I spent a much smaller but even more memorable amount of time at the bottom of mostly-empty grain silos with a rope around my waist scooping years-old rotted corn out of the bit of the cone-shaped floor where the auger couldn't reach. I used a coffee can, and it took so many trips from the bottom of the silo to the door. The smell is the worst thing I have ever experienced by an extremely wide margin, and I have mucked out chicken coops and rabbit hutches and unloaded hay in feedlots and installed panels in pig barns and worked in a public library for almost a decade. So I know how a corn room could break bad without proper moisture control.
    3. I spent a still smaller but incredibly memorable amount of time as a teen volunteer at the county extension office's farm safety day camp, which included a little model grain bin that would suck a Beanie Baby bear to its horrible death at the flick of a switch. So I know precisely why it is important to keep your head above the corn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhIq87HPkT0

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    the corn took my pa nigh on 23 years now

been awful hard on the farm with only big john and emmy lou

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I tried to find a scottish wave livestream but no luck. With all the beach cams around you'd think there'd be a market for a moody windy crag cam.

Their webcam technology is ancient, but

https://forkswa.com/first-beach-webcam/

That is precisely the mood I was looking for

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjYa2kmOvM

1:20 is what death in a grain bin looks like

• Options
    A common First job for farm kids in Australia is working the grain silos/depots during harvest.

It’s dangerous as fuck but they didn’t want to pay, like, a reasonable wage to do it. They would’ve just employed all backpackers (they do it to small extent) but it requires training because it’s a dangerous job. Better to train up the local kids so they can work 5-6 seasons before they find something better

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I can't believe you internet freaks are talking seriously about grain entrapment, this has been my running gag about how weird my childhood was with city folk for the past twenty years. I feel oddly exposed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    There was a corn barn at the strawberry picking farm my family went to in NJ last year. Not even an hour's drive from NYC. The kids had fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Corn is so subsidized that it is used to fill a barn for people to roll around in it. Sounds about right.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I tried to find a scottish wave livestream but no luck. With all the beach cams around you'd think there'd be a market for a moody windy crag cam.

Their webcam technology is ancient, but

https://forkswa.com/first-beach-webcam/

That is precisely the mood I was looking for

From my personal collection-

https://youtu.be/5YvZ6KKME8s

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm drinking mead on the bar I helped build and I'm happy to have gotten to help make a thing that I hope people will enjoy for a long time.

Thats really all I've ever wanted to do.

Well, we've finally figured out your perfect career.

Construction team of your local government. Building parks etc.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Fuckin

it's easy to cultivate and extremely versatile

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stopping corn from growing is harder than growing it and you can use it for a lot of shit.

• Options
    Considering how we just had the wildfire smoke problem, and Fall weather is approaching, I thought I'd share another couple videos from last year.

https://youtu.be/inMPN63wfa0
    https://youtu.be/GfQ-KXich8w

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fuckin

Why don’t you just marry it then huh, Pip?

Ya fukin corn lovin, loud talkin son of a bitch!!!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean, I wouldn’t say corn is that easy to cultivate, if that was the case, we’d see other countries grow corn on the scale of America. It’s just due to the money farmers get from the subsidies that the corn lobbies make.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Corn grows like an absolute weed in North America, dude. The subsidies started and persist in large part because it is so easy to grow here.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I walked through some cornfields for the first time ever recently because there are some close to my new house. Thanks to movies I spent the whole time expecting to be jumped and murdered by a hick with some rusty farm hook.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well look I am sorry I really tried to find you but those cornfields are really easy to get lost in, they're so confusing

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Growing up in West Germany, most of the local fields were corn.
    edit: Outside of Großen-Buseck

Weaver on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Well look I am sorry I really tried to find you but those cornfields are really easy to get lost in, they're so confusing

Corn is tall it's true. We could try barley next time if it's easier?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Corn is tall it's true. We could try barley next time if it's easier?

That'd be great, thanks a lot. Tuesday is the best day for me.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    help me out here. Why, exactly, is this so unsettling?

xmwx8nb6pcpr.jpg

I feel like my parents took me to something like this when I was a kid and I also feel like the corn had some weird dirty texture I didn't like? Maybe we visited a farm, feels pretty likely

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    Corn grows like an absolute weed in North America, dude. The subsidies started and persist in large part because it is so easy to grow here.

You wouldn’t need a subsidy if it was that easy to grow. That’s the point of a subsidy.

The subsidy allows them to use correct fertilisers and invest in high quality irrigation and water, so much so you end up sticking it in stuff where it doesn’t belong, such as cows, bread and lollies. So yes. I guess if you want you can say it grows like a weed.

Blake T on
  • Options
    The vast majority of corn grown in the US is genetically modified to be resistant to glyphosate which kills other plants

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

You wouldn’t need a subsidy if it was that easy to grow. That’s the point of a subsidy.

The subsidy allows them to use correct fertilisers and invest in high quality irrigation and water, so much so you end up sticking it in stuff where it doesn’t belong, such as cows, bread and lollies. So yes. I guess if you want you can say it grows like a weed.

Uh, no shit. The corn subsidy is the biggest waste of money the United States commits to agriculture.

Subsidies for food are primarily a means of stabilizing food prices as a safety net for farmers. After shit like the dust bowl and the Great Depression, not having enough food to feed the country was an actual problem the US was staring in the face of for a while.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fuckin

Why don’t you just marry it then huh, Pip?

Ya fukin corn lovin, loud talkin son of a bitch!!!

corn's taken

she's married to the sea

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean, I wouldn’t say corn is that easy to cultivate, if that was the case, we’d see other countries grow corn on the scale of America. It’s just due to the money farmers get from the subsidies that the corn lobbies make.

corn was cultivated as the primary cereal grain in pre-columbian america for literal millennia throughout the entire super-continent at pretty much every altitude

corn subsidies exist as a relic of the dust bowl when we predominately had small family-owned farms to keep them solvent and feeding america during the depression, they continue because the corn lobby is absolutely monolithic and they want free money

• Options
    Listen, we don’t need your FACTS and your LOGIC when we’re rippin’ on Americans

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    DO NOT ANGER THE CORN GOD WITH YOUR BLASPHEMY ALL HAIL THE CORN GOD

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ALL HAIL THE CORN GOD

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.