As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've been holding off this week because I'm hoping my CSA box has a bunch of apples in it this weekened.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My favourite apples to use are golden delicious, granny smith, and honeycrisp! I love me some tart

edit: I updated the OP and while putting last week's recipe in the archive, totally tried to write [ /shrimp ] in lieu of the spoiler tag

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    One of the best pastry chefs I've ever known swore by Braeburn as the best apples to bake with. I've mostly used them ever since and been happy with the results.

I just made a German apple pancake last week and promised the kids I'd do another one soon, so I'll try to take some pictures and call that close enough.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I have made the Serious Eats pie listed above and it turned out "fine" but was nothing special.

• Options
    If you have another pie recipe rec, do let me know! :D

As mentioned a couple of comments up, I sous vide my apples for optimal texture first. Add all the spices/sugars in the bag and immerse for an hour at 155 F. After taking it out, you can reduce the liquid mixture a bit on the stove before pouring it over the apples.

signature.png
  • Options
    I went with Sally's Apple Crumble from the op:

AOcwMxJl.jpg

The crumble top came out great. My only mistake was that I bought honeycrisps and frankly that's too good an apple for pie.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm I do love pie....

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh we’re doing crumble? Cool
    I have a friend with celiacs, and I generally darent attempt gluten free baking but I’m probably gonna try a gf crumble some time this month, because I figure gluten plays pretty much no part in a good crumble.
    Maybe with pluots. Pluot crumble is always good news

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I need to get on with the pie making soon.

I did go back to the start and made shashuka. It didn't turn out well. I think my garbage skillet was partly to blame. It's old and warped, so doesn't heat evenly. I'm going to take another crack at it later, after I've made the crusty bread. I'm slowly taking over the kitchen because of this. I've already claimed and organized one cabinet, and there are two drawers that are next.

I also have everything I need for the dumplings, so I'll hopefully do that tomorrow or Friday. The last of our dogs died this morning, so my plans all got shunted about. I already had one of those moments where I had some excess cheese and thought about giving it to Kirby, and then remembered. He nearly made it to his 16th birthday, so it's not like it was shocking when it happened, and he acted like he was still a puppy, right up until the end, so I don't think he was suffering from anything. But, yeah, was going to tackle bread and such today, but instead I made some mozzarella meatballs, since they were nice and easy.

Anyway, hopefully I'll report back with pie soon!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    5bccHdQh.jpg

Baked apples and pumpkin (fall guy) pie!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's spring here!

Although you wouldn't know it with the weather outside.

I think this calls for an apple pie this weekend.

All for me.

• Options
    Hmm this next one recipe seems like it might be difficult to find the stuff for?

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I messed up and made a pumpkin pie! ...Though I have enough pie crusts to make an apple one... maybe tomorrow.

Depending on locale, some people may have difficulty locating ackee / saltfish. Though canned ackee is available even in the generic/mainstream supermarkets here. Saltfish is found in the frozen seafood section, though you could potentially substitute with fresh cod and add salt later (or, there seem to be a lot of vegan alternatives floating around, done with jackfruit).

Work has been crazy busy lately; sorry for being behind on recipes! D:

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I bought granny smiths and gala apples today.

and an Envy apple for myself to try because I don't think i've had that variety before.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am consistently amazed that you have time to put so much quality into these OPs, Silverwind. You’re not on the clock, get to it only if you can and you wants to.

• Options
    New recipes are up! In lieu of saltfish you could sub regular cod, or even use the vegan alternatives (e.g. jackfruit). ... I wasn't able to find any recipe with a substitute for the ackee! Though you may be surprised if you browse the canned vegetable / "ethnic" aisles of your local grocery stores?

Perhaps the best thing is to set the "deadline" for next week. Though the week after, I'm posting my recipe for Twilight Princess Yeto's soup! :lol:

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh, and my contribution for baked apple thing week. I used honeycrisp, which I love eating raw, but it really is stellar in baking too.

yol8j5mxqyoz.png

2275u132l9hx.png

jrl10e9hpvqn.png

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That's a fine looking pie!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I did not make the pie. I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with, and I've got a library aide who works at the best pie shop in town and brings whatever doesn't sell on Saturday to the library on Sunday. So I am ridiculously spoiled for pie.

I'm 100% on board for the ackee and salt fish, though! There appears to be a surprisingly robust Caribbean grocer in town which I'm excited to check out. Any treats I should keep an eye out for while I'm there?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I did not make the pie. I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with, and I've got a library aide who works at the best pie shop in town and brings whatever doesn't sell on Saturday to the library on Sunday. So I am ridiculously spoiled for pie.

I'm 100% on board for the ackee and salt fish, though! There appears to be a surprisingly robust Caribbean grocer in town which I'm excited to check out. Any treats I should keep an eye out for while I'm there?

Get some Ting if they have it. Grapefruit soda from Jamaica that I liked a lot.

• Options
    I have an apple cobbler in the oven at the moment.

I have no idea if it will come out or not, the batter looked super thin from following along with the recipe posted.

I used 4 granny smith and 3 gala apples. which is... probably a lot of apples, but don't care. I want it.

• Options
    I made a LOT of Shepard’s pie today.

I made it with thin sliced lamb instead of ground, but I chopped it up smallish and it worked just fine.

Now we got food for like 2 weeks.

• Options
    I made apple cobbler.

I wanted to make a pie. My kid wanted an apple cake, so we compromised.

No action shots of the making though, as there were some incidents with exploding butter and crying child.

She's fine, just didn't want to clean the microwave.

I used the recipe from the OP, but ended up adding more milk to the batter. And extra ginger to the spice mix. Because I thought my ginger was a bit faded from age.

No. It is not.

But even with extra ginger taste, the kid has declared this good.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Apple pie is in the works. Dough is in fridge, apples are seasoning. While I wait to put it together, I'm going to try the pork dumplings. If all goes close enough to plan, it'll be dumplings and apple pie for dinner!

• Options
    My first attempt at buying ackee was a failure, but I know it's possible.

I like to ART
  • Options
    This week’s recipe just really made me want to find plantains.

• Options
    Okay, reporting back from last night. Dumplings were....completed. I don't know if I'd call it a complete success, but they were tasty. It just took so long to make and put everything together. I also learned my brain has a weird issue with my hands being covered in dry dough and flour. Like, that feeling and thinking about rubbing my hands together just breaks my brain in a way I wasn't expecting.

Anyway, dumplings took super long to make, but we're good. They ended up looking like sad little packets, but they cooked well enough.

The pie was completed, but it was well after midnight, so I had to just wrap it up and go to bed. I did get a taste of the syrup that the apple mixture made as I wrapped it up. It was very yummy and warm and only now do I understand putting ice cream on apple pie. We're finally going to try it after dinner.

The only downside of my pie is I am bad at rolling out dough. So, question, what type of surface do you use to roll it out? Do you just use your counter? I was using my biggest cutting board, but it wasn't quite big enough and it kept sliding around. In the end, my pie technically has a bottom and a top, but they are only barely connected. It's more like I put a dough throw on the apples, just barely covering them up.

• Options
    Get a giant wooden cutting board for dough makin’.

It’s a private little fantasy of mine to find a cutting board with little legs that is like, a meter square.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Get a giant wooden cutting board for dough makin’.

It’s a private little fantasy of mine to find a cutting board with little legs that is like, a meter square.

Thanks! I'll have to find something next time I'm out. I'm taking over my kitchen and making it like an actual food preparation area, all because of this thread.

• Options
    I roll just on my counter, which isn't marble or granite or anything fancy—just some sort of cheapo wood/particleboard(?) material. Just make sure to dust the surface with flour.

In my gluten free baking days, I used to use some parchment paper (both on the bottom and on top). I find that with gluten it isn't really necessary. You just have to occasionally chill the dough if it starts getting a bit soft/melty (such as right after rolling out the dough / pressing it to the pie dish, before trimming the sides or crimping the edges).

Good job in making the dumplings too! :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    SilverWind I am a massive crust/pastry snob and I must tell you that your pie crust looks beautiful. A+ crust based on appearance.

SOMEDAY my meal planning/dietary stuff will coincide with what's on the docket here and I'll actually participate, haha.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Thank you! The recipe I used was the one I linked in the apple pie recipe; it's my second time making it, and I think it was quite successful this time as a) I added an extra fold, and b) I finally did use pastry flour instead of regular all purpose

Oh and LS if you have any requests for a specific food that'll align with your meal planning/dietary stuff, let me know because I'm sure everyone will want to join in :D

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ackee and saltfish! This was really, really good. The ackee kinda reminds me of... sea urchin? Though frankly I like it better than uni.

I used the recipe with bacon. The only substitution was that I saw the Scoville chart and replaced the scotch bonnet with like six Thai chilies.

09zly6l1ctia.png

I didn't have to soak the saltfish overnight; about half an afternoon was enough. My former coworker (who is of Jamaican background) and her mom gave the seal of approval. :biggrin:

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Recipes are up for pumpkin soup! ... including one that doesn't involve pumpkins at all, but I digress >_>

I'd never made a pumpkin soup until last year, at Wyborn's behest because it kept coming up in Zelda games. Pumpkins + goat cheese + what is definitely salmon fish is a REALLY weird combo but somehow it works really, really well. I serve it with some properly pan-seared salmon on the side, but we're also prone to crumbling up some salmon and mixing it into the soup itself. ...I totally get that that may not be for everyone, though. :P

signature.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    We actually have an abundance of pumpkin puree but I might try and get my hands on some eating pumpkin....

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Last year was the first time I used fresh pumpkin ever, and this year I used it for my pumpkin pie!

It's got a more delicate, milder flavour, I think

Also, I was quite surprised at how quickly fish stock cooks. Less than an hour and the result jellies like the best of the poultry ones

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ackee and Saltfish!

v0sadof1snuv.png

Note: despite my best efforts, I was unable to locate any actual saltfish. Therefore, the role of saltfish will be played by baked cod.

hq53dg4fp03y.png

It was always going to be hard to go wrong with this much onion, garlic and bacon, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the ackee went with the rest of the flavors. It really does taste like perfectly soft-scrambled eggs. Probably the only thing I'd do different next time is cook the onions low and slow for a while before starting the rest of the ingredients, as they came out a bit underdone to my taste.

Think I'm gonna have the leftovers on some buttered toast.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    we made the pumpkin soup from Twilight Princess!

it's phenomenal

o7b6iiiwnzl3.jpg

• Options
    Pumpkins and goat cheese is suuuuch a nice combo!

...As is fish and pumpkins, which seriously is a strange mixture to me. But looking at the African pumpkin/squash soup recipes, it seems like a common combo there too? Learning more every day!

signature.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh we didn't do the fish part