Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    So I'd already decided not to go for a recently posted supervisor role for the team I'm currently on. I'd likely get the minimum for the position if I got it, but it's still at least a $12k/yr raise. I'd have to give up my usual summer camp work as the work calendar includes the summer but it's still $12k/yr more even factoring in a second job.

Difficulty: It's people management. I hate people management. I mean, I had some very minor people management duties when I worked at a camp, but it was not the majority of my job, I didn't do reviews, and any actual discipline got handled by the Director. Training people for stuff, helping them out, while taking care of my department equipment and being a goto person? That's my jam. This would be primarily all those things I hate though.

Plus, at camp, if somebody sucked you could have some conversations with them and then just not renew their position for the next season in a couple months if it came to that. You had to really really really fuck up to be fired midseason. And nobody was relying on that job for their long term livelihood. Fuck it all, I don't want this job.

But, there's a chance 5 or 6 positions will open up with a district hardware team. Mostly chromebook warranty repairs and some other stuff. There'd be a lot less variety to my day, no student interaction and I wouldn't be based in a school. I like my building and the variety of work and staff and I feel super appreciated and supported here, but if the rumor that the starting pay is still 12-15k/yr more for that position too turns out true, that's going to be really hard to walk away from.

Couple things I forgot: it's not like summer camp work is coming back in quantity anytime soon. I mean, this is the first year in 20-some years I haven't been involved in a summer camp either as a camper or staff, so it's not like I couldn't get one of the few positions that existed, but I find it highly and hugely unlikely I feel comfortable returning to it in 2021 and possibly not even 2022. And really I'm at the point that I'd like a full time permanent camp position, which are rare and competitive and will only become moreso for a while.

I did come on as a temporary extra hand to this team over this last summer, so no surprises.

I think it comes down to that it's just really hard to walk away from a position that I do like and they really like me when I've only been at this school for a year and change. But barely hitting $40k/yr with two jobs to making at least $51k/yr with just one job is very attractive.

The summer camp I went to as a kid, that my mom worked at so I could go to it, that was around for just one year short a century, closed permanently just this past month. It was a cash cow of a business but they couldn't see there being a 2021 season. Two missed seasons in a row just made everything financially impossible.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So I'd already decided not to go for a recently posted supervisor role for the team I'm currently on. I'd likely get the minimum for the position if I got it, but it's still at least a $12k/yr raise. I'd have to give up my usual summer camp work as the work calendar includes the summer but it's still $12k/yr more even factoring in a second job.

Difficulty: It's people management. I hate people management. I mean, I had some very minor people management duties when I worked at a camp, but it was not the majority of my job, I didn't do reviews, and any actual discipline got handled by the Director. Training people for stuff, helping them out, while taking care of my department equipment and being a goto person? That's my jam. This would be primarily all those things I hate though.

Plus, at camp, if somebody sucked you could have some conversations with them and then just not renew their position for the next season in a couple months if it came to that. You had to really really really fuck up to be fired midseason. And nobody was relying on that job for their long term livelihood. Fuck it all, I don't want this job.

But, there's a chance 5 or 6 positions will open up with a district hardware team. Mostly chromebook warranty repairs and some other stuff. There'd be a lot less variety to my day, no student interaction and I wouldn't be based in a school. I like my building and the variety of work and staff and I feel super appreciated and supported here, but if the rumor that the starting pay is still 12-15k/yr more for that position too turns out true, that's going to be really hard to walk away from.

Couple things I forgot: it's not like summer camp work is coming back in quantity anytime soon. I mean, this is the first year in 20-some years I haven't been involved in a summer camp either as a camper or staff, so it's not like I couldn't get one of the few positions that existed, but I find it highly and hugely unlikely I feel comfortable returning to it in 2021 and possibly not even 2022. And really I'm at the point that I'd like a full time permanent camp position, which are rare and competitive and will only become moreso for a while.

I did come on as a temporary extra hand to this team over this last summer, so no surprises.

I think it comes down to that it's just really hard to walk away from a position that I do like and they really like me when I've only been at this school for a year and change. But barely hitting $40k/yr with two jobs to making at least $51k/yr with just one job is very attractive.

The summer camp I went to as a kid, that my mom worked at so I could go to it, that was around for just one year short a century, closed permanently just this past month. It was a cash cow of a business but they couldn't see there being a 2021 season. Two missed seasons in a row just made everything financially impossible.

That's just awful and sadly quite common these days. Camp is so good for so many kids in so many ways that it honestly makes me cry every time I think about it. Camps overall had finally JUST crawled out of the hole from 2008. The industry being ONLY decimated would be a miracle.

Camp has a major role in making me who I am today, and it's been significant and powerful force in every stage of my life. I'm still in touch with somebody I made friends with my first year of camp. She was also my first kiss. Easily 80% of the non-family people that have major roles in my life are camp people. I'm 35 years old and camp is still my happy place.

And now instead of simply not having the resources to get every kid that wants to go to camp into camp, we're looking at going back to the old ways of only the well off and rich get to go and it's heart wrenching to me.

I'm just going to go cry at work for a bit now.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    By that CEO chart, most americans' work weeks are like 70 hours. Bare minimum 55 since you'd have to include their travel and lunches now too.

Better get cracking CEOs, you're barely working.

How many of us have ever had to travel for work and had to fight tooth and nail to get them to pay anything and they still fought with the "well you're not working until you've arrived on the job site" for when they want you to travel to a different place and it takes like several minutes to several hours more travel time. Looks like CEO count it, as well as lunch, as part of their work time and probably are compensated with it outside of their salary, why aren't you?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well I no longer commute, but I use to do 45 each way, so 7.5 hours a week, and I did work outs for 1 hour a day twice a week, to thats another 2, and I had to eat lunch, one hour a day so thats another 5, so really I was working a 54.5 hour week.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's buck wild that 9-5 is still a common idiom. I've never met anyone who didn't work 8-5 with an unpaid lunch in the middle, and that's just the degreed professionals. Otherwise it was all 12-9 or 10-7 or 5:30-2:30 for the lucky bastards who could actually scrape together an eight-hour day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Lol 5 hours a week on business meals?

Bullshit. Business meals for CEO types take 2-3 hours. They’re hitting up a fancy steakhouse and going appetizer - main course - dessert plus socializing every day.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I work 7-330, with an unpaid 20-30 minute lunch, but I don't often get to take it

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's buck wild that 9-5 is still a common idiom. I've never met anyone who didn't work 8-5 with an unpaid lunch in the middle, and that's just the degreed professionals. Otherwise it was all 12-9 or 10-7 or 5:30-2:30 for the lucky bastards who could actually scrape together an eight-hour day.

My last job was this, 8-5 with an hour unpaid lunch. Before that I was on midnights, 4 10's, with an hour paid lunch because my boss gave 0 fucks (though I'm told since she retired this has changed).

Now I'm 9-5 salaried with a half hour, technically unpaid lunch but its salary so eh. Also working from home so its been great, I usually don't have time to make and eat lunch so I've been doing working lunches but I'm at home so if things slow down I just go over to my comfy chair and take a 15.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

That's just awful and sadly quite common these days. Camp is so good for so many kids in so many ways that it honestly makes me cry every time I think about it. Camps overall had finally JUST crawled out of the hole from 2008. The industry being ONLY decimated would be a miracle.

Camp has a major role in making me who I am today, and it's been significant and powerful force in every stage of my life. I'm still in touch with somebody I made friends with my first year of camp. She was also my first kiss. Easily 80% of the non-family people that have major roles in my life are camp people. I'm 35 years old and camp is still my happy place.

And now instead of simply not having the resources to get every kid that wants to go to camp into camp, we're looking at going back to the old ways of only the well off and rich get to go and it's heart wrenching to me.

I'm just going to go cry at work for a bit now.

I mean it definitely sucks as a trend, but if it makes you feel any better this was a rich kid's camp for sure. Like even the day camp cost a bunch, let alone the resident side. This place is the major reason I understand fuck off rich society and its trappings. So like it wasn't a super good opportunity for everyone living around it, very much a place where the rich and well off got to go, but it feels indicative of how the industry is going cause if this place couldn't hold up with its frankly ridiculous tuition rates on a property I'm pretty sure it owned outright, I can't imagine what more reasonably priced summer camps are dealing with.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I went to camp once! The local volunteer fire department paid for me to go to forestry camp. I learned how to medevac someone from on top of a mountain with one of those off-road backboard stretchers and shocked some fish with a fish-shocking device for...science? I think we tagged them while they were paralyzed. Also, our team came in second in the forestry skills olympics because it turns out I had a heretofore undiscovered knack for splitting matchsticks with an axe and throwing hatchets at a target. Our team name was the Pleasing Blue Fungus Beetles, because that's an actual bug we learned about.

There was a three-legged cat who lived in the nurse's station along with a de-scented tame skunk named Pepe No Pew.

Great times, made some great MSN Messenger friends and one long-distance girlfriend who road tripped all the way from Albuquerque to go to my weird small-town prom with me.

Camp rules, let's keep sending kids to camp.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I went to camp once! The local volunteer fire department paid for me to go to forestry camp. I learned how to medevac someone from on top of a mountain with one of those off-road backboard stretchers and shocked some fish with a fish-shocking device for...science? I think we tagged them while they were paralyzed. Also, our team came in second in the forestry skills olympics because it turns out I had a heretofore undiscovered knack for splitting matchsticks with an axe and throwing hatchets at a target. Our team name was the Pleasing Blue Fungus Beetles, because that's an actual bug we learned about.

There was a three-legged cat who lived in the nurse's station along with a de-scented tame skunk named Pepe No Pew.

Great times, made some great MSN Messenger friends and one long-distance girlfriend who road tripped all the way from Albuquerque to go to my weird small-town prom with me.

that sounds like the best camp ever

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Man the only camp I got to go to was Kamp Krusty.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

that sounds like the best camp ever

My older sister went a couple of years before me and learned how to knap flint spearheads and throw atlatl darts from this rad old Ute dude who retired by the time I got there. She got scarily good with the atlatl, which it turns out is a translatable enough skill to surprise the hell out of the tour guide trying to show her how to use a woomera when we visited Australia.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I went to Gay Men's Singing camp and it was pretty much constantly walking in on fuckpiles and people getting taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

would recommend

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I mentioned this in the other thread where it came up, but there's plenty of jobs - even minimum wage jobs - where travel time is absolutely a perfectly reasaonable and accepted on-the-clock work-relevant duty that can and should be included, and that chart isn't necessarily including 'commute' at all.

I mean, it might be, but without disecting the definition of how they selected 'travel' as a time function of the day, I wouldn't necessarily castigate it as not a work relevant measure of bullshit.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My most vivid summer camp memory was when I went to a Boy Scout camp at age 10, oh and this was before I ever had a cell phone, and my dad was one of the adult chaperones for the troop. At one point I went to the toilet, no not indoor plumbing, and there was no toilet paper. So my dad said he'd go to the camp store and buy some.

He returned three hours later, toilet paper in hand along with a soda as he sheepishly admitted he'd actually forgotten I was there the entire time.

Later found out from my mom that he'd done the same thing ten years prior when he'd brought her home from the hospital after she'd given birth to me. Not in the toilet, but she'd been in the back of the van on account of C-section and woke up to find the van back in the driveway and dad nowhere in sight.

And that's when I learned that if my dad develops memory problems from aging I will never be able to tell.

• Options
    Secret Camp thread:

I went to Space Camp for 3 summers. Not the one in Alabama that was all over Nickelodeon, a different one attached to one of the best space museums in the country, if not the world. Got to do missions in a shuttle simulator on hydraulics, did EVA type training in a scuba setting, got sick in a centrifuge, all the good stuff. One year we went to Houston and got a super behind the scenes tour for 3 or 4 days at Johnson Space Center in Houston. My scout troop covered two years of it in lieu of me going to Scouts summer camp (which is fun, but it's just not the same) and my first year I got a scholarship from Gene Cernan to go. I've also got a signed copy of his book and letter from him (it's framed and hanging on my wall).

Then I did it all again but for 4 years as a counselor while in college. During that time we added more stuff like a trip to Kennedy Space Center in Florida and a two week camp at a lake picking up scuba certs, and pilot/aviation centric stuff too where kids logged actual flight hours. I handed Barbara Morgan her purse as she was coming out of a shuttle simulator once while training for STS-118.

My post graduation plans fell apart and I ended up as an instructor at an Outdoor Ed camp. School groups during the school year doing programs with a focus on Physics and Astronomy and outdoor stuff like ropes courses and hikes, and a more traditional science and nerd camp during the summer with people paid to run D&D programs, rock climbing, mountain biking, blacksmithing, welding, skits, archery, etc, space mission simulators (no hydraulics, sadly). It's geek paradise honestly. I was an instructor for 2 years, then an Assistant Program Director for 5. My summer title was actually "Science, Technology, and Fantasy Coordinator" and it was the best because I could spend the morning running the archery range, assist with a huge camp-wide LARP around lunch, run some RPG sessions for kids around dinner, and wrap it up with astronomy or astrophotography in the evening. All with kids who were super excited and happy to have a place where they could indulge their passions to the fullest extent with other kids (and adults, honestly) who were geeking out just as much as they were. So many of the kids would talk about how they just didn't feel like they could be themselves and belong at school or home and so spent all year just looking forward to the week or two weeks or 4 weeks or however long they were going to be at camp.

I miss that job still. Constantly. And I don't think I'll ever find another environment like it. When I left at the very end of 2015 the summer staff had 2 mountain biking instructors, two or three rock climbing/bouldering folks, two each for welding and blacksmithing, and 6-8 people for D&D stuff.

Steam
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    "Oh yeah guys I do a 50 hour work week, if you include time spent at the gym, going to the bathroom or jerking off, which obviously I do"

Every business guy desperately wants to be Matthew McConaughey's character from Wolf of Wall Street.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My camp experience is being a volunteer camp counselor for a one-week outdoor residence camp for eight summers in a row.

I have a lot of friends for life through the experience!

A few years ago a group of younger camp counselors rebelled against the senior staff and started up their own similar camp experience.

Let me tell y'all, its wild to witness a completely passive civil war regarding an outdoor summer camp.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I would love nothing more than to be able to have a job that let me work from home. Being stuck working in the healthcare industry when you had no intent to do so is almost as bad as thinking working at your local supermarket would be a good job to take to save up for college and then 2020 happened.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    rant for today: sick of bleeding heart liberals that ask for money for a thing that is Good but won't provide data or info I need to understand how Good thing will work and get done appropriately and then complain that I won't give them money for Good thing because I don't like Good things

end rant

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've been getting lots of texts recently from work about processes that the people asking should know, and questions at work from people in other departments that have department heads who they should be going to for that answer and I'm starting to feel like Dr. McKay from Stargate Atlantis and that's not a character that I identify with at all!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My new work shoes arrived. They look just like normal trainers but they have steel toe caps. I probably shouldn't be so wowed by this but I am, I still thought all steel toe footwear was just boots and stuff. You can get shoes that look like fancy formal office shoes but with steel toes! Amazing! The future!

• Options
    Aww yeah time to assemble my “James Bond but he’s a top secret CNC machinist for Her Majesty’s Government” persona

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I am apparently going to learn Fusion 360 for my job. Fun! ...?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My new work shoes arrived. They look just like normal trainers but they have steel toe caps. I probably shouldn't be so wowed by this but I am, I still thought all steel toe footwear was just boots and stuff. You can get shoes that look like fancy formal office shoes but with steel toes! Amazing! The future!

Totally! Before I started wearing cowboy boots to work I wore aluminum toed anti-conductive sneakers.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can get steel toe slippers.

Just gonna clad my feet in armour all day every day. Never suffer a stubbed toe again. Imagine that life!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    The title of this page of the process document I'm looking at reads "During the Decision: Decide" and I think my brain just melted.

tynic on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can get steel toe slippers.

Just gonna clad my feet in armour all day every day. Never suffer a stubbed toe again. Imagine that life!

You never trip over your own slippers when not wearing them?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm irrationally concerned because I haven't heard back the day after the interview. The only reason this tracks at all is because after my technical interview I heard back same day. Even though I was pretty confident about cultural fit, now I worry I fucked it up somehow.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The title of this page of the process document I'm looking at reads "During the Decision: Decide" and I think my brain just melted.

ironic

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm irrationally concerned because I haven't heard back the day after the interview. The only reason this tracks at all is because after my technical interview I heard back same day. Even though I was pretty confident about cultural fit, now I worry I fucked it up somehow.

You coulda been one of or the last interviews in the first round and the schedule didn't work out as nicely on the second round and they couldn't get all the interviews in a clump and/or you were among the first.

Steam
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    on the one hand: ow my brain

on the other: i have definitely heard people talk through a decision and try to indicate through tone and phrasing that they've provided a definitive answer, but just said nothing.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yay medical insurance. Now to build up urge to pee

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

if it makes you feel any better, the job i just took was a month-long wait to interview after I was submitted, followed by a week long wait until I heard that they wanted to hire me, and another week of back and forth before we agreed on the details.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    You always want all the interviews back to back, but likely they're interviewing others or people are starting to be out for the holiday break. I wouldn't sweat it until after Thanksgiving.
    Preparing an offer is usually 3 people - hiring manager, their boss and HR. At least one is probably on vacation starting on Monday or tomorrow.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yes I imagine a lot of large businesses are going to screw the pooch on the hiring process until the new year

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    You always want all the interviews back to back, but likely they're interviewing others or people are starting to be out for the holiday break. I wouldn't sweat it until after Thanksgiving.
    Preparing an offer is usually 3 people - hiring manager, their boss and HR. At least one is probably on vacation starting on Monday or tomorrow.

There's still one more interview, so no offer yet, all I'm waiting for is to schedule the next (final) interview.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Cambiata I interviewed for my current job around this time of year (just after Thanksgiving), and didn't get the offer until like right after Xmas. Even then it was yet another month before I actually started (buncha higher ups were on vacation and not available to sign off on hiring paperwork).

hope this is some consolation

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.