Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I just played 3 hours of standard and only played against DH. 3 hours. Only DH as opponents.

Was gonna stop playing when a non-DH showed up but nope.

Are you still playing then?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just played 3 hours of standard and only played against DH. 3 hours. Only DH as opponents.

Yes. Against another DH.

Edit: FINALLY A PRIEST

sanstodo on
  • Options
    I managed to eke out a 45% winrate against the same fucking aggro DH lists with deck of lunacy mage.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Yes. Against another DH.

Edit: FINALLY A PRIEST

The first time ever someone was excited to play against a priest.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    i feel pretty confident in saying that demon hunter was just a mistake at this point

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    i feel pretty confident in saying that demon hunter was just a mistake at this point

Cool idea to add another class, just poor implementation. Way too powerful and far too slow with the nerf hammer. Who'd of thought that an aggressive class with fuel for days would be so strong?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Cool idea to add another class, just poor implementation. Way too powerful and far too slow with the nerf hammer. Who'd of thought that an aggressive class with fuel for days would be so strong?

I think the problem is that it's impossible to set up a control deck to deal with all of the variants of aggro. They require specific answers that are terrible against the other aggro decks, making the dominant strategy simply running another aggro deck.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

Like for real, probably the best aggro class, maybe hunter is close, and you give them (by far) the best card draw in the game? I don't understand how anybody thought that was a good idea.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

monk when

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I kept running into Big Priest. It got annoying. So, I decided to take a Shudderwock Shaman for a spin, teched against Big Priest. The plan was to just concede against any non-Big Priests.

I dropped to the point where I was playing people in Platinum 9, and no Big Priests.

OMGTHISMATCHMAKING.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Update: I have found and defeated a Big Priest.

Winning has increased my rank from 1045 to 1049.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

monk when

fucking excuse you death knight first come the fuck on

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

monk when

they're very clearly adding them in reverse WoW release order

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020

monk when

monk when

Hero power costs zero and deals lethal dmg to any target. Blizz swears it’s balanced because the class has a 50% win rate.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The last time I remember seeing a meta so saturated with a single class was probably shamanstone in MSoG

Or mech mage in GvG

Both intensely unfun and if you remember Team 5 did nothing about their sheer dominance for months

e: honorable mention to undertaker hunter in Naxx but that got nerfed fairly quickly because 'we printed a 1 mana chillwind yeti' was a fairly big mistake in retrospect

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Undertaker went live on 7/22/14 and didn't get nerfed until 1/27/15. That's 191 days or 6 months and 7 days! That shit should have been squashed by the 4-6 week point. But for reasons, Team 5 didn't want to touch any cards back then. Ugh.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    the real tragedy was that they didn't just make undertaker a priest card

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Ben Brode haaaated altering cards after they were released

I kind of get it but that's one of the perks of a digital card game honestly

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    forty wrote: »
    Most people I've seen report playing C'Thun decks say they actually get to play him in maybe 10-20% of their games. The vast majority of games are over one way or the other before you finally draw him. Which is fine. The payoff is ridiculously powerful, so it should be difficult to get to that point. But just something people should be aware of before crafting it.

So after this post and conversation, I went out to make a deck that could reliably get C'thun played. First order of business is to survive early game against aggro. Second order of business is to be able to draw into your pieces reliably so you can play C'thun as much as possible. I tried a bunch of different classes and eventually came up with this deck, that actually works! And it wins! Its got a ~55% winrate at Diamond 8 right now.

### Stealth C'thun
    # Class: Rogue
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (0) Backstab
    # 2x (0) Preparation
    # 2x (0) Shadowstep
    # 2x (1) Blackjack Stunner
    # 2x (1) Secret Passage
    # 2x (1) Spymistress
    # 2x (2) Betrayal
    # 2x (2) Foxy Fraud
    # 2x (2) Shadow Clone
    # 2x (2) Skyvateer
    # 2x (2) Sneaky Delinquent
    # 2x (2) Swindle
    # 2x (3) Greyheart Sage
    # 1x (5) Malevolent Strike
    # 2x (5) Stowaway
    # 1x (10) C'Thun, the Shattered
    #
    AAECAaIHAvHdA7/gAw60AZoC7QKGCb6uA5u2A7m4A8+5A9C5A6rLA4rUA9/dA+TdA+fdAwA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Plan is to use stealth cards early to survive against aggro and to draw against control. Prep allows early play of any C'thun cards you draw into. Stowaway grabs C'thun parts and even C'thun itself. Shadowstep is a good target for Stowaway/Sage/Stunner. But the ideal play (against control) is to keep a shadowstep (or two) for when you play C'thun. Playing C'thun in back to back turns is, well, backbreaking.

Some games (all at Diamond rank):
    https://hsreplay.net/replay/Hr4L8tqmFsubnkpSNbSRa9 (played C'thun twice here v Priest)
    https://hsreplay.net/replay/TYG3hN5eRRARdkJPtNoENH (Spell Mage, could've played C'thun three times this game, played it once)
    https://hsreplay.net/replay/9L3p9VCcecKikDjN38qDQn (Warrior had 26 armor at one point, played C'thun twice)
    https://hsreplay.net/replay/rCx5cJCM3BHMGkvgJYfUu4 (beating a Paladin without C'thun)

ObiFett on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    How well does Stunner work with only 2 secrets in the deck?

• Options
    Speaking of Hearthstone grandmasters, Bloodyface has decided to come out as trans

Wow, I feel extra bad since I had picked her as my champion, thus dooming her to immediate elimination. :(
    Called it.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The deck draws so much and the secret doesnt usually get triggered that I can't remember a time I had a stunner I wanted to play and didn't have a secret down.

The deck could definitely be optimized or tweaked. I'm thinking the "give your hero stealth" card might be a good include since it would help against soul DH. And possibly the card that gives a stealth minion immune and +attack for the aggro matchup. Think I might try adding those in place of the secret+stunner.

I've got a few things I could sub out and in as I optimize this further, excited to see if it goes anywhere.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Well, I'm back up to the point where I'm playing against people in dumpster Legend and rank 5 Diamond again, so that's nice.

If there's one thing that my occasional sojourns into lower ranked play tell me, it's that for all of the "lolrandom" memes there really is a huge skill/knowledge gap in this game. One of the first games of my climb back up displayed the point succinctly. I was playing Raza Priest, and came up against a person playing Big Druid at Platinum 9. On turn 4, I dropped Polkelt. On T7, they dropped big minions, using Lightning Bloom to power stuff out, setting up lethal on board, and then BM emoted me with "At least your tried!" a few times while roping. During my turn, they ended up conceding, for reasons that are probably obvious for anyone who knows anything about Raza Priest. Setting aside that their path to victory was narrow to begin with, what they did pretty much ensured that they were going to lose, in a situation where a more knowledgeable/skilled player would have been like "oh, hell no, don't go all in with big minions on a Priest who has Anduin and Scream in hand on turn 8."

In a relatively small sample size over the past few days, I've seen multiple missed lethals, over-trading, a ton of sequencing problems, etc. I just played a game against Odd Paladin, where they eagerly filled their board with 1/1 dudes with divine shield. Pretty, good, right? Except that that meant that they couldn't play anything else. It meant that all the extra damage that I needed to account for was basically Blessing of Might, Eye for an Eye if they put up a secret, Light's Justice is they just wanted a 1 attack weapon, and Rallying Blade. Basically, as long as I was over 20 life, I was very likely to be safe, and played accordingly. It bought me all the time I needed to set up a lethal turn.

Don't get me wrong, people at Legend make mistakes too. Hell, my road to Legend is cluttered with me losing winnable games due to mistakes and winning despite terrible mistakes. But you don't have to drop too far to see a lot more subtle and not-so-subtle "what are you doing? No, stop, that is definitely NOT the play" moments.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I didn’t realize they had an hour counter for battlegrounds.
    ibl5ueq86muk.jpeg

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Supposedly some BG changes and stuff coming on the 15th along with an MMR reset.

I'll probably reinstall just for BGs since those are fun, still, and require no investment.

But fuck Constructed tho.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Wild VS #24

Not much other than the stuff Shadowhope and I talked about the other day. I'm surprised Darkglare is only T2 though.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    A World Championship game was just decided on turn 4 by Nozdormu the Timeless. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Wild VS #24

Not much other than the stuff Shadowhope and I talked about the other day. I'm surprised Darkglare is only T2 though.
    So in Secret Mage, Aluneth was replaced by Sayge, and Mad Scientist wasn't replaced by Inconspicuous Rider?

Maybe I should be the one called Sayge... :cool:

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Wild VS #24

I agree with their top five/tier 1, but I'd order is differently. Raza Priest > Secret Mage = Odd Paladin > Big Priest = Aggro Druid is how I'd order it. I really don't think that Darkglare makes the cut for T1. It loses badly to Secret Mage, it can struggle with Aggro Druid and Odd Paladin (though this is somewhat build dependent), and Raza and Big Priests are both pretty good at slowing down and blowing up big boards. Of course, there are Chinese meta reports that have Darkglare way on top.

I'm a little shocked that they had trouble finding Even Shaman. They feel like they're still pretty common to me.

With regards to DH, I think that people have started experimenting. There were Soul Shard Demon Hunters on ladder last night, and people playing a more midrange Odd DH that goes back to using Hench-Clan Thugs and Flappy Bird (Vicious Fledgling).

VS questions why people aren't playing Kingsbane, and I'll note that a Kingsbane list hit #1 Wild Legend the other day. But IMO, it's not a very good climbing deck. It has bad matchups against Aggro Druid and Big Priest, and Odd Paladin is also very challenging. People at the top of the ladder are not likely to play those decks, so Kingsbane can do its thing and stab faces for massive damage. Togwaggle Druid is in a similar position. It's gained Solar Eclipse, helping it mill people faster via Naturalize. But again, it's the sort of deck that people at the top of the ladder are playing to try to counter-queue a meta that can get very, very specific.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    VS questions why people aren't playing Kingsbane, and I'll note that a Kingsbane list hit #1 Wild Legend the other day.
    Jesus, almost drew his entire deck by turn 8.

• Options
    I checked my email and I noticed I got a Blizzard survey about Hearthstone, mainly dealing with the new expansion and the rewards track. So I threw out my impotent complaints to the Blizzard shred bin.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    At this point I consider Demon Hunter to be an unmitigated mistake. Team 5 resisted adding a class for a long time and now I understand why.

Obviously that cat’s out of the bag now, no putting it back. But they are going to have to take some pretty aggressive action if they want to bring it in line, not the least of which is aggressive removal of busted cards to HOF (cough SKULL).

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Had some strange occurrences with Yogg saying it was ready when I had not played 10 spells yet.

And Tickatus not triggering when I played a 7 Mana card.

Weird. Is Blizzard trying out nerfs and did something leak?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V0nh_4vMV8

Hmmm watching this now gonna update with my thoughts after

Edit: Yeah okay so every 4 turns everyone in the game discovers one of these Darkmoon Prizes*, so turns 4/8/12/16 capping at 16 (lmao what game goes til turn 16)

They seem busted strong. Fuckin' what.

*Darkmoon Prizes, btw, are a "limited time event" :rotate:

dubs edit: Granted! This is without patch notes. We don't know what other changes may or may not be going in. They might be introducing the Hero-Specific Health Scaling that they talked about, for example. Or the Damage Flattening. Need more context! I think this is cool, I just hope they aren't SUPER BUSTED and completely break the game.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Another Monday, another guaranteed "play 10 old gods" weekly quest appearance. And of course this time it rerolled into the arena quest. FFS.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Another Monday, another guaranteed "play 10 old gods" weekly quest appearance. And of course this time it rerolled into the arena quest. FFS.

That was me last week. When are these changes coming again?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    I now have a positive win rate with deck of lunacy c’thun mage. I either win via an early deck of lunacy + fun or a standard c’thun strat.

I lose if my rng sucks or the other player gets a good draw and knows how to play.

It’s not a good deck but it finds interesting ways to win/lose.

• Options
    I see basically 4 decks. Aggro DH, evolve shaman, buff paladin, and midrange hunter.

Is there anything else in the meta at all? Am I the only one playing weird shit?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I see basically 4 decks. Aggro DH, evolve shaman, buff paladin, and midrange hunter.

Is there anything else in the meta at all? Am I the only one playing weird shit?

There seems to be plenty to me. OTK Warrior, but it might be limited to high ranks. Some Soul DH. A couple Clown Druid. Lots of Secret Rogue and Combo Rogue. Plenty of Ticket Warlock. Mages and Priests seem few and far between though.

Shadowhope on