Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Remember the rumours around the negotiations prior to the US election? Namely that johnson was holding off and waiting in the hope that trump got in. If that was the case, he was going to drive for a full no deal brexit. Likewise, the Biden administration are reported to view trump and johnson as one in the same, with jonson as an early and eager advocate of trump. They certainly haven't forgotten johnson's racist comments either.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I can't imagine what kind of trade deal Trump would offer us that would be any better than the meager morsels we got from the EU. Except maybe the headline of "we got a deal!"

Hell, in an alternate timeline I doubt Clinton would be throwing us a bone either.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome
    hey they published their negotiating objectives

if theres one thing the us is consistent about its negotiating brutal trade deals, no matter who is in charge

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    I can't imagine what kind of trade deal Trump would offer us that would be any better than the meager morsels we got from the EU. Except maybe the headline of "we got a deal!"

Hell, in an alternate timeline I doubt Clinton would be throwing us a bone either.

No American administration of any stripe would offer us anything that wouldn't involve a bonfire of regulations, safety standards and probably workers rights. It's not worth it at any price. American factory farming needs to be nuked from orbit for the good of the planet not exported and expanded.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Haven't we already done that for chlorinated chicken?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So awesome
    more attention being paid to the tariffs in the tariff-free deal question...

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-07/debenhams-closes-online-business-in-ireland-as-50-major-uk-retailers-face-eu-tariffs
    Under the terms of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, trade in goods between the UK and the EU remains tariff-free.

But it has since become clear that goods which are imported into the UK and then exported on to the EU are, in many cases, not tariff-exempt because they don’t originate in the EU or the UK.

For instance, if Tesco imports a pair of pyjamas from China into the UK and then sends them to the Republic of Ireland - which is in the European Union - for sale in its 151 stores there, henceforth they could be hit by an 12% tariff...

"I’m surprised that retailers are surprised by this," Lowe says.

"This was not a deal dependent issue, there was never going to be a solution to this. Rules of Origin were always unlikely to accommodate the re-export of goods from China".

Retailers have asked the government to try to amend the Rules of Origin covering countries that are not part of the Customs Union set out in the trade deal.

“It is appears that the UK government did not realise what they had negotiated,” one retail executive told me.

Steve Rowe, CEO at Marks & Spencer said: “Tariff free does not feel like tariff free when you read the fine print. For big businesses there will be time consuming workarounds but for a lot of others this means paying tariffs or rebasing into the EU.”

In a statement Tesco said: "We are in discussions with the HMRC and Irish Revenue about this issue and are working to find a satisfactory resolution as quickly as possible."

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm sure I read somewhere that that is an issue which is theoretically amenable to a workaround, but that the EU is not inclined to grant the necessary waivers

Their understandable reasoning being that companies will have to adjust to a situation where they can't site their supply chain hubs in the UK as a cost of brexit

I think it's Ireland that gets the brunt of it, since the UK is used as a land bridge, but there are some surprising logistics chains that loop through the UK at some point

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    “It appears that the UK government did not realise what they had negotiated,”

That should be the epitaph for this fucking clown car of a cabinet.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So awesome
    for those looking for a helpful point of visual reference for wrangling difficult family members who are using various covid / lockdown sceptical arguments that are commonly seen in the rw press this is a good series of images/posts (from the ft stats guy - its a thread)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The new clap on a Thursday at 8pm campaign elicited the participation of not one person in my neighbourhood. Possibly they were unaware, possibly it’s just too frigging cold, possibly people have decided we’re well past that stage now.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The clapping or banging of pots in some part of the world during this always gave me more the vibes of old traditions of noisemaking to keep evil ghosts away.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    The new clap on a Thursday at 8pm campaign elicited the participation of not one person in my neighbourhood. Possibly they were unaware, possibly it’s just too frigging cold, possibly people have decided we’re well past that stage now.

Apparently the lady who started the whole thing has been receiving threats and abuse. I'll hold my hands up and admit to being an utter cynic who saw it as tiresome slacktivisim from the start, but for fucks sakes what is wrong with some people? Whether you think it's a waste of time or not there's really no need to doubt the sincerity of the woman who started it or the people who did it, I can totally understand the need to feel like you're doing something, anything to fix this situation right now. Anyone who thinks it's justified to go after her or her family needs to sit down and re-evaluate their life choices that they think abusing someone trying to do something good in a bleak time is cool.

As for how to do something useful, it might feel good to try and do flashy gestures but the ones actually helping the NHS are the people wearing masks, washing their hands and obeying the lockdown. It sucks, it's soul grindingly boring, it doesn't provide any instant gratification whatsoever and no one is going to praise you or tell you you're super cool, but that's the case with pretty much anything truly worthwhile.

• Options
    So awesome
    its all fairly naked really isnt it

the tweeter is a pol editor at the liverpool echo but the tweets quoted are those of popular conservative idiot julia hartley-brewer, shown here performing some truly heroic backtracking

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I wish I could be surprised at the mealy mouthed bullshit. You'd think a planetary pandemic would be enough to get people on board the notstupid train for like 5 minutes.

Charge your phone!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So today the company I work for had to send an urgent memo out to our team telling us to limit how much supplies we can give to clients at any one time, because we can't get them in from the EU fast enough to replace our expenditure of them. Taking back control, or losing all hope of it?...

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Wait what's prompted Julia HB to descend back to reality

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Julia Hartley-Brewer is a nutcase and that she was once on shows like HIGNFY alongside such luminaries as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg does beg the question of how much responsibility the BBC has had in normalising the more nutty strains of conservatism over the years

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

the tweeter is a pol editor at the liverpool echo but the tweets quoted are those of popular conservative idiot julia hartley-brewer, shown here performing some truly heroic backtracking

Toby Young has been scrubbing some of his more egregious Covid denial from his twitter account over the last 24 hours.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Julia Hartley-Brewer is a nutcase and that she was once on shows like HIGNFY alongside such luminaries as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg does beg the question of how much responsibility the BBC has had in normalising the more nutty strains of conservatism over the years

Huge responsibility.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Toby Young has been scrubbing some of his more egregious Covid denial from his twitter account over the last 24 hours.

This is bad news, because stuff like this just means that it's becoming abundantly clear that we're about to be experiencing an absolutely horrific January and February.

Which we knew already, but it's just another sign on the wall.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Stay vulnerable to a pandemic to own the remoaners.

• Options
    Funny, it's the one I'm most suspect of

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The AstraZeneca vaccin has worse numbers in the high age range, and it's the only one that doesn't have full approval, but only an emergency allowance on the UK market. It's a more traditional vaccin, so the odds of it being a problem is very small, but if I got to chose I'd chose one of the mrna ones.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

the pfizer vaccine looks like one of the best of the bunch to me, too

more for europe, I guess..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

I feel like it was less a conscious choice to give these people a platform and more someone at HIGNFY made the catastrophic error of thinking that everyone else would look at clowns like JRM and Bojo and find them hilarious, like any reasonable person would.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I have no idea what their intention was, but one of the first episodes of HIGNFY I watched when we first came to the UK was one with Rees-Mogg and, to someone who at that point knew nothing about him, he came off as amiable, if a bit foppish.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

the pfizer vaccine looks like one of the best of the bunch to me, too

more for europe, I guess..

The moderna vaccine has pretty much the same efficiency and seems to be more easily handled, only needs -20°C instead of -70 and can be stored in a normal fridge for longer periods. I don't know how its side effects compare to the Pfizer one though, only that a dose contains like 3 times as much active ingredient.

Both cost almost 10 times as much as the astrazeneca vaccine apparently

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    The Oxford vaccine trial was botched pretty badly so I have my doubts about its final efficacy. Not that it doesn't work but one can't really tell because they fucked it up.

• Options
    I have pretty much full confidence in the regulator so I'll take either, happily, and I think that Britain is ahead of the curve in vaccine distribution although we really need to ramp up and iron out the problems

People who refuse the vaccine "for the British one" are insane but fair play, off you go and die then. I personally would say vaccination should be mandatory but apparently there isn't the political guts for us to do that

• Options
    On its front page today the Daily Star has dubbed President Donald Trump a "massive bellend".

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    On its front page today the Daily Star has dubbed President Donald Trump a "massive bellend".

BBC news editor who is quick on the ball with newspaper covers the evening before.

• Options
    Good Thought for the Day there

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The thing is the date on the second tweet. While people were still fucking wrong about the denials in April and May, there was still enough unanswered that people being misinformed at that point had some level of plausible deniability about it.

Still being a denialist on October 21st? Yeah, fuck off with your latest change of mind.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-fish-trade-uk-eu-lorries-exports-b1784312.html

Choice quotes
    Seafood is highly perishable and relies on a seamless flow across borders, but small test consignments sent to France and Spain that would normally take one day are now taking three or more days, if they get through at all.

It is also taking five hours for firms to secure a health certificate from authorities, a document required to apply for other customs paperwork.
    David Noble, another exporter who buys from Scottish fleets to export to Europe, told the same agency that the new Brexit bureaucracy was costing between £500-£600 pounds a day and wiping out most of the profit.

So looks like the fishing industry wasn't saved after all.

On the plus side this is good for sealife.

I haven't noticed any issues with food coming into the UK, which is an extremely pleasant surprise.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Another record high for COVID deaths today, and Sadiq Khan has officially declared a major incident in London over the virus.

• Options
    Access to food won't be a problem, but the British food industry exports are probably pretty fucked

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Do we have any Londoners here? Our best friends live there, and I have to say that I'm starting to worry about them, even though they're not in any of the risk groups and their behaviour has been exemplary.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Do we have any Londoners here? Our best friends live there, and I have to say that I'm starting to worry about them, even though they're not in any of the risk groups and their behaviour has been exemplary.

I have a bit of a cold at the moment and this has me a little nervous. I'm sure we'll all be fine.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    My brother lives in london and his partner is a doctor so its a mite concerning, but they don't seem too worried at the moment. She got hit with an isolate order over christmas but was fine and will have had her first shot by now so could be worse I guess.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.