As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's been stable for me since patch 1.04 + updated GeForce drivers. Still the occasional graphical glitch, but it's finally in the state it should have been at launch. I'd say it's quite playable now.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    HFW coming to PS4 as well has given me some more breathing room on a PS5, which is nice.

It's coming out on PS4?

Yup.

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-09-16-playstation-5-games-spider-man-miles-morales-sackboy-and-horizon-forbidden-west-will-all-launch-on-ps4

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Patch 1.05 dropped on Steam. I haven't seen much mention of performance improvements in the patch notes. It was pretty stuttery for me at launch. Has it improved much for anyone?

Path notes:
    Hi everyone,

Patch 1.05 for Horizon Zero Dawn on PC is now available to download on Steam! If your game does not update automatically, please restart your client.

This patch addresses additional crashes, as well as a couple of community-reported bugs such as Aloy’s hair not displaying correctly when playing with the game running above 30 FPS, controller rumble toggle and adds the option to display black side bars in cinematics when playing in ultrawide resolutions. We are continuing to investigate open issues and will update you when we have more news available.

You can find the Known Issues and full patch notes below; if your issue isn’t among them, you can still send us your reports here.

Thank you for your continued feedback, patience, and support!

–Guerrilla

Known Issues

Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
    Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
    Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
    We're aware of and continue to investigate issues that are not yet solved on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!

Patch Notes
    Crash Fixes
    Fixed a crash in NetPresenceManager that some players experienced when entering the game or the benchmark from the main menu
    Fixed a crash where the Steam SDK could crash on initialization when the game executable was started directly from installation folder rather than through Steam
    Fixed a crash which would occur if the player pressed ‘Stop’ in Steam immediately after pressing ‘Play’
    Fixed a startup crash when using Avast antivirus
    Fixed a crash that could occur when VRAM was about to be oversubscribed

Graphical Improvements
    Fixed an issue with Aloy’s hair not displaying correctly when the game is running above 30 FPS
    Shader animations (e.g. hologram locks on doors, GAIA in cinematics, etc.) are no longer locked to 30 FPS, but running at unlocked framerate
    Fixed an issue with flickering textures in main quest “A Gift from the Past”
    Fixed an issue with flickering snow assets
    Fixed an issue with flickering paintings in Song’s Edge
    Fixed graphical corruption issues that only occurred on specific GPUs
    Fixed an issue where the game would open in windowed mode instead of fullscreen when the player is using another window when booting the game
    Fixed an issue where the game would not run in the correct resolution when switching from windowed to fullscreen
    Added an option to turn off “blurry sidebars” in ultrawide resolutions and display black sidebars instead

Other Improvements
    Allow players to still boot the game even if the version of windows used is detected to be too low to run the game at a stable condition
    Added an option to turn off controller vibration/rumble
    Fixed an issue in the storing of the ‘permission to track data’ attribute of the player profile (subsequently re-asking for said permission)
    Fixed an issue where the opening cutscene music would not play if the player quits out and immediately begins a new game
    Fixed an issue where inverting mouse controls also affected dialog tree choice input

I went from stuttery on launch (but no crashing) to crashing every hour (but no stutter) with the first performance patch, then it was perfect for me after the 1.04 patch.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I’m assuming that there will be a limited edition PS5 for HFW, so that’s what I’m holding out for.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    HFW coming to PS4 as well has given me some more breathing room on a PS5, which is nice.

It's coming out on PS4?

Yeah apparently. Which kind of sucks, I still remember the compromises Bioware had to do to get Dragon Age Inquistion to run on both last gen and next gen.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

It's coming out on PS4?

Yeah apparently. Which kind of sucks, I still remember the compromises Bioware had to do to get Dragon Age Inquistion to run on both last gen and next gen.

Oh...I didn't consider that. :(

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

It's coming out on PS4?

l1pc77w532t6.gif

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    There's no way that Horizon Forbidden West will run like anything but crap on my base model PS4.

• Options
    My Pro has another opportunity to earn its keep.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    There's no way that Horizon Forbidden West will run like anything but crap on my base model PS4.

Sadly it's worse than just running like crap. It means they have to design and build the core of the game for the PS4. Which means minimal use of the PS5's SSD speeds, ray tracing, and other special features of next gen. My guess is we'll get 4K, faster FPS, and some minor ray tracing on the PS5 version. We won't see Ratchet and Clank style environmental designs that are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 architecture.

• Options
    I'm now disappointed and want them to make it a PS5 exclusive to force me to buy a PS5 :(

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm now disappointed and want them to make it a PS5 exclusive to force me to buy a PS5 :(

It's totally a Horizon color scheme too! Could do an awesome H:ZD shell for the PS5 to look like a robot.

Hell, do separate blue and red editions.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Other than load times what environmental design does the better hardware allow for? Horizon Zero Dawn already had pretty few "squeeze through this gap" segments to mask load times, in fact the world was pretty seamlessly open with few exceptions. Maybe some of the climbing segments were acting in that role?

Ray tracing is just an option in a graphics menu to make lighting look better, games run fine without it they just don't look as nice. Similarly 4k.

• Options
    It's hard to say, since I'm not a developer. From what I gather the entire way level design is done can be different in next gen since they don't have the same constraints. It sounded like it's more than just no more squeeze through gaps stuff. Though I could be wrong. One example I could think of, we never got to ride/control a flying machine. This could be a constraint based on PS4 technology (loading that many assets), but might not be a constraint for the PS5. This then impacts game play and story. Perhaps you could have aerial battles with other flying machines. You could have an assault on a mountain top where you fly in.

For ray-tracing, the difference is in man hours. If it's just next gen, they can just use Ray Tracing and be done with it. Where as with PS4 as well, now they have to do all the old lighting as well as ray tracing. Given that time and money is finite, it means less of something else if they have to do this.

I mean it's not the end of the world, HZD was amazing not just because of it's graphics but gameplay and story. If HZ:FW continues that and has a good bump in graphic's, it'll be amazing. Just a bit disappointing to imagine what could have been. As mentioned earlier, Dragon Age Inquisition was hampered by having to come out for the PS3/Xbox360 to the point that by the 2nd DLC they gave up on those consoles.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, load times aren't just when you can see a moving bar. On a game that streams data, it's the main limiting factor on how fast you can allow your character to move. You can see it in games like BotW when people move faster than the devs originally expected them to (or by just getting the bike).

Also the probable reason why you need to take an elevator or fairly long bridge to the main city.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    It's faster to fast travel to the ground than use that elevator.

• Options
    Better go through that corridor and interact with 3 doors before you get to the new area!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    It's faster to fast travel to the ground than use that elevator.
    And how long that takes depends on the HDD you have in your console. The overworld route has to go for the lowest probable estimate, fast travel can just go as fast as it can. But I'd bet money that they toyed with the idea of ziplines or rapel points from places like the Hunters Lodge to the ground but found they couldn't reliably load them in time.

It's just that this news means we're unlikely to get a flying mount/glider/wingsuit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I really really really wanted a Stormbird mount for Aloy :(

• Options
    I like the idea of flying mounts but that's a lot of mechanical additions. I'd be happier with more land mounts and better combat controls for them.

• Options
    What about a cutscene Stormbird mount?

• Options
    If it's done in a cutscene it needs to be doable in the game as well. Not as bad as cutscene character suddenly losing competence and abilities they have in gameplay, but still frustrating.

I will absolutely pilot a Stormbird if they let me. But I think about the mounted combat in HZD and just grimace at trying to accomplish anything from up there.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Mounted shooting triggers hunters reflexes which is actually kinda good. (the slowmo when you jump)

Since it's free. It triggers everytime you aim.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I like mounted strike because I get to stealth kill and look fucking awesome while I do it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Mounted strike is super broken anyway. You can just keep getting on your mount and restrike over and over.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mounted strike is super broken anyway. You can just keep getting on your mount and restrike over and over.

But of course that's only meaningful against opponents that aren't a problem anyway. A stealth strike against a Ravager? You may as well be poking it with a stick. Better off triple-nocked sharpshot arrows for the tough guys. The weaklings and humans are for fucking around with.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Everything is a problem on ultra hard. One thing I really like about it is that there are no "free encounters".

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Everything is a problem on ultra hard.

Yeah but why are you playing on ultra hard

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Everything is a problem on ultra hard.

Yeah but why are you playing on ultra hard

It requires me to use more mechanics, use more strategy, and actually use enemy weaknesses properly. Preparation is king. Stealth takes thought. Combat requires a plan. It's incredibly satisfying.

The rebalanced economy makes all the side content really meaningful as well.

It's also not as hard as I thought it would be. Enemies are a continuous threat, but not a death sentence. If worst comes to worst, you can still run away.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    yoooo sequel related
    This cranky priest in this sidequest just mentioned the Mad Sun-King's old army that were exiled to Sunfall and the Forbidden West

edit: does anyone know where that list of items not needed for anything is? I went back like 15 pages and I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I'm just blind.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    yoooo sequel related
    This cranky priest in this sidequest just mentioned the Mad Sun-King's old army that were exiled to Sunfall and the Forbidden West

edit: does anyone know where that list of items not needed for anything is? I went back like 15 pages and I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I'm just blind.

You just need Stalker Lenses to find it, then sell them immediately:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42793043/#Comment_42793043

And here's a Reddit post with full value breakdowns:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/iq50tl/what_to_sellkeep_a_table_of_how_many_resources_to/

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Welp I beat every hunters trial Blazing Sun on fresh game Ultra Hard. I dont have top tier gear. I am level 38 tho. I only had medium stealth and melee attack armor.

My only shadow gear is sharpshot bow and ropecaster.

I did do the cauldron for thunderjaw and ravager which was very helpful for those trials.

Sleight of crate was a bit of a pain (basically luck and a good run) but nowhere near as much as thunderjaw vs ravager with crappy gear!

If you'll excuse me I'm off to collect all three lodge weapons. And then maybe I'll do some story quests or something I dunno. I'm up to Makers End atm.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Started Frozen Wilds. Not sure how far I am into it.

The first Scorcher I met one shot me because I was wearing my stealth gear. I swapped to my nora defender with two fire resist mods, took a fire potion, and after that it only tickled unless it landed an actual melee attack. There was a lot of dodging and ropes and frosting but eventually just a dead Scorcher.

Met a Frost Claw. Didn't even die. I roped it up and stuck tons of proximity bombs on it. See it doesn't break the ropes unless the damage starts. And once the damage starts, it's got a lot of bombs on it. And then it's bits blow up which freeze it for the rest of the bombs. And while the bombs are going off you can put more bombs on it.

The regular enemies have better health and resistances, but it's not really anything special. Just makes them a bit more interesting.

Looking forward to this triple Frostclaw fight.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Looking forward to this triple Frostclaw fight.

I one shot it.

https://youtu.be/ZI3Dfe1dbAk

Funny thing was that was the first time I'd seen a Frostclaws attacks. The first solo one you encounter in the story died to rope and proximity bombs without getting a single attack on me, and I never fought another one before this.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Finished all the hunting grounds with gold/blazing and Ikrie's challenge on Ultra Hard last night. Ikrie's came down to the last arrow too. *whew!* Just gotta do some shard grinding to get the last few FW Adept suits/weapons and then it's the last couple FW quests and then the final mission.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah I cleared it out a while back also, finished the whole thing, didn't want to update 4 posts in a row.

Was super fun and not really that difficult tbh on ultra hard. Once you get suits of armor setup, some weapons and some levels under your belt you stop getting one shot and start doing real damage.

Overall the difficulty is well thought out. The higher costs on gear make all the side content really meaningful. I wanted to collect rare whatevers, or beat bandit camps (so much shards), the hunting grounds, and so on. Because its an excellent ongoing source of shards. I wanted to hunt to keep my potions up. I wanted to do the side content that gave free skill points so I could get more options in combat. None of it was forgettable chaff. It was all important. It resulted in meaningful upgrades that I actually needed.

I did have to make sure I always had the right armor on and sometimes i had to fiddle with the mod on my weapons to fit a challenge or situation, but once you do have the right gear and mods slotted, you are no where close to being one shot. There are in fact very few attacks in Ultra Hard that are even capable of one shotting an armorless high level Aloy. Adding the massive percentage buffs from armor only make it harder to kill. Nor do enemies take substantially longer to die. The roper launcher is still completely op. Freeze is still completely op. You can still obliterate enemies quickly. Weak points still matter (even more so, they're critical). All the good stuff is still there.

Hell later in the game in some sticky situations I was getting smacked around repeatedly and my emergency method of getting out of it was just blowing shit the fuck up. It was messy. It worked.

I encourage everyone to give it a go, and don't sell themselves short. You do have to stick to stealth at the start for a little while but do side content and start getting some gear and it doesn't take long before you can branch out and start fighting enemies in open combat. You are not a huddling scared little Aloy for the entire game. Or even for very long.

By the end of the game I was pretty much unstoppable and everything died to the same shit it did last time. Explosions. So many explosions.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I'm about to start the final mission of the DLC later today, but thus far, my impression of Ultra Hard mode is that during the regular game, aside from the lack of health bars, I only marginally noticed the increase in difficulty. The vast majority of the time, I felt like the game was essentially the same as normal mode, but this is offset by having all skills and all weapons/outfits with purple mods and just experience at playing the game. The biggest issue is simply that adept weapons in ultrahard are very expensive so despite starting NG+ with I think 40K shards from my first playthrough, I am having to grind for shards to get the money for all the Adept items, not that you need them all, but I'm a completionist.

That said, I definitely noticed the uptick in difficulty for Frozen Wilds. I knew that first fight was coming, and I still got wrecked a few times. The control trial with the stormslinger on ultrahard was a pain and took a lot of attempts, but conversely, I got gold on the Chieftain's trial on the first attempt, which floored me. But then I also studied the youtube videos of others completing them which gave me good strategies to follow

I've been avoiding using explosives much, with the exception of the last two hunting trials and I'm saving them for this last dlc mission. One nice thing is that you can get another set of unique mods in FW, so my weapons have some great mods, so my adept banuk hunter's bow with 4 purple mods filled with unique mods just wrecks things.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I was just talking about a brand new game. If you are walking into ultra hard with ng+ gear it's basically a nothing.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well I for one am still quite happy with this 'nothing' achievement. Beat'n the other day. Death Seeker facepaint has been applied.

Though yeah, I will say that it's such a jarring downshift in difficulty going from the DLC final fight to the main game final fight, even on UltraHard. My first playthrough on normal, I was floored that the only reason I didn't beat the final fight on the first attempt was that an explosion knocked me underneath some stairs and I got stuck there. I could still shoot, but I was obscured enough that I could only hit armored spots for very little damage. Despite all that, I was still able whittle down the health such that the only reason I *still* didn't beat the final boss was because I ran out of time...and even then, all I needed was maybe 5-10 seconds more.

This time, even on ultra hard, it was still a very underwhelming fight, done in one attempt and no getting stuck under stairs this time. Didn't even use the blast sling, just kept moving around in a circle around it and triple shot hardpoint arrows on weakspots. Final boss goes down and I'm all, "wait...already?" But yeah, I ground it all out. had all the adept weapons (though only needed the one), two full sets of unique mods.

Still a great game though, even knowing all the plot points and reveals, I loved each of the moments. I still just love exploring around and not using quick travel. Just gotta make a better final fight for Horizon II

• Options
    It's the classic DLC problem: at the time the game is finished the game designers only know the gameplay systems so well. Each iteration of DLC they figure out new wrinkles and tricks, improving their use of the systems in play and making a better game. By the end, yeah, the DLC is markedly better than the original in terms of variety and difficulty while also being more satisfying.

At least in cases where it's good DLC where they didn't just crank it out.

HZD's got some good DLC.

This discussion has been closed.