Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The secret is you don't have to get a super exact ratio every time, no one is going to notice if your red:brown is a little off on one model compared to another, I have a white tile I use for mixing so I just glob a couple of drops of paint on there and keep adding till I get a colour that looks like what I want, you don't really need precise measurements for this sort of thing.

This. Over and over for eternity.

I was super scared of mixing for decades. Then I got 12 paints from the Scale artist acrylic kickstarter and had the wild idea to paint a mini using just them. It was an eye-opening experience. It's also fun to discover little color 'hacks' as you play around: like there's 3 paints I have discovered are pretty much all I ever need when mixing up highlights for any other color (none of them are white).

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I painted up a few swooping hawks about 4 or 5 years after a test model that only used handmixed greys on it and afterwards I couldn't tell which one was the odd one out. Of course those greys were only pure black and white, so only two colours but it really is doable.

Regarding the highlighting, my orc BB team uses rotting flesh for mixing the highlights for orange, blue, and green. It worked pretty well for the not as squeaky clean look of the armour and for orc skin anyway.

What are your highlighting colours? Light brown, light warm grey, light cold grey? Or something less obvious?

honovere on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I find that mixing shades is kind of like that thing with your brain where if the first and last letter of a word are in the right place your brin automatically reads the word correctly.

If the base and final highlight are the same, you probably won’t tell the shades being different between them.

Though I prefer to not mix these days because I’m lazy.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yeah I used to mix a lot of custom colours. These days I use as many straight just because I found it too annoying to keep mixing up new batches. Also I tend to airbrush a lot which means I don't have to worry about mixes as much. Also I use more glazes to colour correct.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    I painted a thing you guys!
    1shxg4kjca0p.png
    Not sure what to do with the lenses and the plasma vents, but otherwise this guy came out OK.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Has anyone else gotten really poor results with Corax White rattle can base sprays? Really thick detail destroying layers with a lot of bubbling and inconsistent texture.

They are notoriously terrible. practically a texture paint every time I have attempted to use one.

I found much better results starting from a pale grey primer/spray and layering up to white

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Has anyone else gotten really poor results with Corax White rattle can base sprays? Really thick detail destroying layers with a lot of bubbling and inconsistent texture.

They are notoriously terrible. practically a texture paint every time I have attempted to use one.

I found much better results starting from a pale grey primer/spray and layering up to white

Yeah usually if I need a bright white Ill airbrush it but that wasnt an option here. The corax white rattle is basically stucco.

Ended using Grey Seer --> Celestila --> Ulthuan --> white scar

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    tdp6w02gjwj4.jpeg

Painted this between Saturday and today

Gotta do the rims and a few touch ups, but these feel done

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The secret is you don't have to get a super exact ratio every time, no one is going to notice if your red:brown is a little off on one model compared to another, I have a white tile I use for mixing so I just glob a couple of drops of paint on there and keep adding till I get a colour that looks like what I want, you don't really need precise measurements for this sort of thing.

This. Over and over for eternity.

I was super scared of mixing for decades. Then I got 12 paints from the Scale artist acrylic kickstarter and had the wild idea to paint a mini using just them. It was an eye-opening experience. It's also fun to discover little color 'hacks' as you play around: like there's 3 paints I have discovered are pretty much all I ever need when mixing up highlights for any other color (none of them are white).

A friend of mine who is a schoolteacher brought up colors and theory this morning (mostly to shit on Indigo as a concept that's still taught), which made me want to ask: If I wanted to get a basic-but-good CMY set of paints to start mixing colors, what would you recommend? I'd rather not break the bank, but do want to get something with decent quality.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So thanks to a generous gift as part of the Secret Santa, going to get a color mini from Hero Forge. Here's what the render shows. I'm interested to see how it turns out in reality and what kind of touch up I'll have to do, beyond a wash.
    mc7dud0yjy2q.png
    rf2s52l6cz16.png

So my mini came in. Overall they've gotten better since I got my first one in the beta. The spots came out very nicely which makes me happy as they would have been the hardest to touch up.

One thing is for sure though, the metal filament just can't do real metal justice. The gold and brass are just a pale yellow. Overall though, I think with just a bit of minor touch up, a wash, and some varnish this mini will really pop.

tbp1pmt212ye.jpg
    inmdme39xr0w.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Anybody have any recommendations for paint brush trays for storing brushes in a desk drawer? I'm setting up my new paint station.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Anybody have any recommendations for paint brush trays for storing brushes in a desk drawer? I'm setting up my new paint station.

Sliverware trays

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

The army painter wet palette I got has a built in brush tray and should fit in a drawer 😉

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Oh man, a nice wash really makes the color minis from Hero Forge POP. Also I found this thing. I need to make one, or have one made.

Paint Case 2.0

uwsvf3qzx5p8.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Just the other night I was saying to the missus I wanted to start painting at the dining room table so it was less lonely/boring, but I needed a decent paint caddy.

Wow. That thing fits the bill and it supremely classy looking as well. Bookmarked for later.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    liogacsdwokc.jpeg

I’ve had all of the bits to do this conversion since 2017 - guess now was the time to finally do it

I hate the daemon prince mode so much - this is only marginally better

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I like the DP; I don't get why everyone hates it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    There's this pic that's among the top results if you google "Daemon Prince of Nurgle", and it looks super cool:
    fk3phwethnw0.jpg
    ...but it doesn't read as a Chaos Marine that ascended at all. It just looks like something that was always a daemon.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Also good luck finding a dreaded ambull for that conversion (I have one but love Blackstone so it’s staying as is)

Vanguard on
  • Options

I think it’s because the aesthetic really only speaks to like, Khorne and not as much the other chaos gods

It also has a lot of very visible seams

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The details from that era of plastic chaos models can get really squishy, to an almost cartoonish degree. There's certain design elements on the DP, and some other old chaos models (hello berserkers!) that just don't look like quality GW casts.
    The DP also gets an extra helping of dislike because the metal model it replaced was AWESOME.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

I think it’s because the aesthetic really only speaks to like, Khorne and not as much the other chaos gods

There are other Chaos gods?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Alright! We have a before, after and GIF! of Ice In Summer. I apologize for the shaky GIF, I really need to get a turntable.

ywzjscddd19u.jpg

90p6z638uvpf.jpg

fa5af7279w18.gif

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Idk if it helps your specific quandry, but the GW balrog model is the same size base as a demon print and has wings and a sword

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Idk if it helps your specific quandry, but the GW balrog model is the same size base as a demon print and has wings and a sword

I’m happy with what I made - if I ever branch out into other chaos gods, I’ll take a look

• Options
    So in a hypothetical scenario in which I forgot to clean out my airbrush last night, nail polish remover on a qtip should be good so long as I dont get it on rubber bits right?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So in a hypothetical scenario in which I forgot to clean out my airbrush last night, nail polish remover on a qtip should be good so long as I dont get it on rubber bits right?

Yep! If I forget to clean mine, a full tear down and soak in acetone followed by a thorough pipe clean and poke sees it right. One hot tip that's been super helpful to me is to just shoot some window cleaner through the brush after you're done painting and actually leave some in the cup. It cleans it out and keeps it moist solid doesn't seize up.

I'm still painting Raptors.
    DIFsDvb.jpg
    69VLomc.jpg
    NeCZK7P.jpg

Though we've just had a quarantine outbreak of UK flavour Covid are are going into a short lockdown, so it's entirely possible that the event I've been painting my ass off for for a month and a half might be cancelled!

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I've been painting pretty quickly this year, but taken no photos.

Except the gross lad I painted last night.
    74z51sl8hpan.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    I'm inking dice right now, and it's a process. Mad props to the folks who make custom dice, polish and ink them. They aren't selling them for enough money.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    6bfx09i8nc5d.jpg

Painted up a beholder zombie. Didn't thin the paints enough for the eye, so it has kind of a chalky look to it, which I think kind of works for an undead beholder.

qdhsx17ld451.jpg
    And since I had some beholder parts left over, I stole one of its eyebeams for my lizardfolk wizard.

see317 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I've been improving a little
    yu0uo10e1erd.jpg
    My free hand could use some work

Also been making my bloody undead:
    dn5uzcd7gkfa.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ag7brzlx3bjg.jpeg

Glacial columns for my winter table, all done this morning

Tomorrow’s project is snowy forests.

• Options
    Last night I finally finished my Hybrid squad leader. Then realised I haven’t highlighted the leather strap on his wrist, his eyes or the spikey but on the hilt of the sword. Ah well, small details. I’ll do them later but he’s done.

1095919_sm-.jpeg
    1095920_sm-.jpeg

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Characters done! Just got to weather the piss out of my Vehicles and then the army is complete ... So naturally I want to do a display board and some custom objectives and and and ...
    zOR5dVy.jpg
    eKd3Xku.jpg
    8tuVkmi.jpg
    bTSPmJy.jpg
    R8WGVHt.jpg
    hf1b576.jpg

Asher on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That sword looks incredible!

• Options
    Thanks! Its actually my go to fancy sword recipe and is dead easy (which is why I do it). It is:
    Basecoat kabalite green.
    Glaze down the middle on one side and the two ends on the other with Black Templar
    Highlight the opposite sides with watered down sybarite green. At this point you should kind have 3 tones going on which is the start of the effect.
    Then I just start evening out the transition with watered down kabalite or sybarite or Black.
    Final step is edge highlighting with white and then a little bit of watered down white at the tip and in the centre of the sybarite to just make it look even shinier.

• Options
    vl0wbbo7h867.jpeg

Finished some snowy woods too - group shot of the terrain I made this weekend

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Any tips on reposing Nolzur's minis?
    I've got a young red dragon who's wings are almost touching behind the back, I'd like to bend them out a bit to give a bit more painting space. I'd like to know if there's any way to bend them out a bit without damaging the mini too much.
    Would a heat gun/hair dryer get it malleable enough for a minor reposing? Or is this going to require a full on cut/greenstuff patch job?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    They're soft plastic yeah? A heat gun should work. Alternatively try immersing it in hot water and seeing if that makes it more malleable before breaking out the clippers.

Asher on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    They're soft plastic yeah? A heat gun should work. Alternatively try immersing it in hot water and seeing if that makes it more malleable before breaking out the clippers.

Heat in near-boiling water for a minute, then repose, then dunk in ice water for several minutes to re-set the plastic in the new position.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no