Options

[DCEU]: James Gunn saves THE SUICIDE SQUAD

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Zack Snyder is what Michael Bay would be if Michael Bay was convinced he was deep.
    Ow my eyeballs! They just rolled right the fuck out of my head. That's gonna make it real hard for me to see the movie, Zack.

This is a guy who thinks Rorshach is a hero to admire, so him seeing things in black and white isn't surprising.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zack Snyder is what Michael Bay would be if Michael Bay was convinced he was deep.
    This is right on the money

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Snyder makes some fun movies. I don't really follow the big hate boner people have for him. Man of Steel was entertaining, his zombie flick was fun, 300 was entertaining. He has a zombie heist flick coming out on Netflix this year with Tig Notaro and what's his face who played Drax, looks like it should be some fun.

I loathe him because he fundamentally fails to understand what he has to work with.

Like FFS, I was actually groaning when I realized I was going into another action sequence in Suckerpunch because I was so utterly bored and apathic to the plight of the girls.

Wait are you saying you don't like Snyder? I didn't get that vibe from your last ten posts on the subject

My contention is that his movies aren't fun or insightful or able to grasp the subject matter that he routinely handles.

Also I want him to refund the money I spent on suckerpunch.

Dude, you aint getting it. He TOLD you what you were getting with the title of the movie....a suckerpunch. You paid for EXACTLY what you received.

Listen, I went into that movie fully prepared for it to be bad and working on the assumption that if it was I could at least laugh at that.

But this... abomination sat perfectly in the gap between those two points that I simply couldn't give a shit and the big twist was telegraphed during the first meet up with old man.

Like this shit is just straight up incompetent.

Admittedly, it wasn't a good joke, but I think you missed the joke.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    At this point I'm not convinced the Flash movie will ever happen. It's going to be the Duke Nukem Forever of superhero movies (okay, it came out, but it's delays were due to constantly going back and starting over, which fits this).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case you're wondering, the entire movie will be in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio (you know, the one used by old TVs).

Why? Because he thinks it looks awesome on IMAX screens.

...anyone here have HBO Max hooked up to an IMAX screen?

He's gone up his own ass for a 4 or 5 hour movie

so sure

why not

He also says it's best enjoyed in black and white, and a greyscale "Justice Is Grey" edition will be forthcoming.

Ow my eyeballs! They just rolled right the fuck out of my head. That's gonna make it real hard for me to see the movie, Zack.

I honestly can't tell if this is real or not.

I mean, it sounds ludicrous...
    Totally real.

Justice League: Snyder Cut Black & White Version Gets Official Title

Snyder wrote:
    "We're finishing right now the black and white version of Justice League. It's called the Justice Is Gray Edition. That's what I call it."

What is this? Does Snyder have some kind of infatuation with the Shiny and Chrome edition of Fury Road? Is he frustrated he didn’t come up with it first? Is this going to cycle back around to eventually a version of Justice League that’s a series of 75 silent movie chapters ala Flash Gordon?

I think we can make this happen.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Justice League: The Webcomic Cut

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    In case you're wondering, the entire movie will be in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio (you know, the one used by old TVs).

so sure

why not

He also says it's best enjoyed in black and white, and a greyscale "Justice Is Grey" edition will be forthcoming.

Totally real.

Snyder wrote:
    "We're finishing right now the black and white version of Justice League. It's called the Justice Is Gray Edition. That's what I call it."

What is this? Does Snyder have some kind of infatuation with the Shiny and Chrome edition of Fury Road? Is he frustrated he didn’t come up with it first? Is this going to cycle back around to eventually a version of Justice League that’s a series of 75 silent movie chapters ala Flash Gordon?

Radio play.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

so sure

why not

Totally real.

Snyder wrote:

Radio play.

Sponsored by BOSE.

"You can hear the grimdark!"

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Some breaking news:

- Supergirl is gonna be in The Flash movie with Ezra Klein!
    - She’s already cast! And she’s Latina!
    - Her suit matches Henry Cavill’s Superman suit!

PowerGirl has long been a favorite character of mine, so anything that brings her a step closer to life is a good thing, so let’s rejoice in positive news for the DCEU for once.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

so sure

why not

Totally real.

Snyder wrote:

Shooting in black and white in the 21st century comes across as the kind of thing that you either do for artistic short films or because you're a film student that slept through the first month of photography and thus don't understand the importance of color.

Fortunately, as someone who was awake through film school, I can kind of explain why it's important.

Color tone is a form of mind control, in that our brain's are more stimulated by bright colors then we are by more muted ones and thus our eye will immediately be drawn to them first over and above anything else. This technique is also used to help establish the emotional tone of a scene; warmer color tones tend to denote more welcoming and happy environments while colder ones tend to have a greater focus on serious or somber ones.

Thus the idea that you would ever do a 4 hour long superhero movie that was shot in desaturated sepia tone and then reduced to black and white strikes me as being akin to a university study on the human brain; can you actually maintain focus when you are robbing people of the most basic stimulation?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Nah bruh, he's a visionary.
    :P

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    As someone relatively detached from all this and devoid of any real opinion on Zack Snyder, I was mildly intrigued by the idea of the Snyder Cut.

But putting it in 4:3 aspect ratio and insisting it's better in black and white lets me know upfront Snyder is so junior high capital-D "DEEP" that it's gonna be far worse than the original. And not just cause it's longer

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Black and white lets you easily paper over a lot of bad CG, and cutting down the aspect ratio clips out a ton of visual space that costs money to fill. Considering the original Justice League had the most shitty CG I've seen since, I dunno, the Star Wars Prequels, taking out all the color is about as much as they can do to turn the fuckawful clashing CG into something that looks semi-coherent. Maybe by doing that, everybody will look like they're in the setting they're acting like they're in, rather than it being glaringly obvious it's a handful of people on badly-done green screen.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    DCEU can't get Superman right, so I doubt they can get Supergirl right.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

They haven’t gotten anything right other than Harley and Aquaman

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

I thought the first Wonder Woman was fine, and while I haven't seen it yet, I thought the consensus was that Shazam was fun too.

• Options
    I want my stronk Wonder Woman with anaconda thighs

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

Hey, JK Simmons as Gordon was inspired...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Hey, JK Simmons as Gordon was inspired...

Most brilliant 15 seconds in the DCEU

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I agree mostly. You only missed Shazam, which they got very right also.

They also got Wonder Woman right in the first movie but then completely botched her in the second.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    They got the kindness of the character, but none of her energy or physicality. Wonder Woman is a woman of action and a bruiser, to boot. She doesn’t shrink away for years or wait pensively to solve problems. If anything, Diana is too impulsive and quick to use violence.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    They got the kindness of the character, but none of her energy or physicality. Wonder Woman is a woman of action and a bruiser, to boot. She doesn’t shrink away for years or wait pensively to solve problems. If anything, Diana is too impulsive and quick to use violence.

Makes sense. They had to change something to make her different from Clark and Bruce.

• Options

I mean, where was that shown to not be true? Yes her secret identity is an academic, but we see her kind of excessively kicking ass over a fairly minor thing (on the super hero scale) in the mall scene in WW2.

That being said, seeing as how each "verse" of each comic thing is it's own retelling, and we know the comics aren't afraid to be fairly divergent, why NOT have Diana be the rational one and Clark or someone else be the hotheaded one?

• Options

I mean, where was that shown to not be true? Yes her secret identity is an academic, but we see her kind of excessively kicking ass over a fairly minor thing (on the super hero scale) in the mall scene in WW2.

That being said, seeing as how each "verse" of each comic thing is it's own retelling, and we know the comics aren't afraid to be fairly divergent, why NOT have Diana be the rational one and Clark or someone else be the hotheaded one?

You’re asking us to carry a lot of unearned water

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    As someone relatively detached from all this and devoid of any real opinion on Zack Snyder, I was mildly intrigued by the idea of the Snyder Cut.

But putting it in 4:3 aspect ratio and insisting it's better in black and white lets me know upfront Snyder is so junior high capital-D "DEEP" that it's gonna be far worse than the original. And not just cause it's longer

All this time I thought 4:3 was some kind of meme mocking Snyder's love of IMAX aspect ratios and the like. I didn't realize it was an actual thing.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »

All this time I thought 4:3 was some kind of meme mocking Snyder's love of IMAX aspect ratios and the like. I didn't realize it was an actual thing.

Imax is 1.33:1 which is....yeah

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Here's an example of a black and white superhero done with purpose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4sCz20Lak

• Options

It's also used as something to help set contrast between him and the other characters; like without ever saying a single word we know that SMN is a throwback to 1930's detective films and are thus already prepped mentally for the mannerisms and attitude the character will exhibit. Frankly it was brilliant as a decision to include him when the development team could have run with any of a dozen other iterations of the character.

The other good example of using black and white for effect is of course this: The instant the door opens we know that we are in a fundamentally different place and film then we were in the first 15 minutes.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

It's also used as something to help set contrast between him and the other characters; like without ever saying a single word we know that SMN is a throwback to 1930's detective films and are thus already prepped mentally for the mannerisms and attitude the character will exhibit. Frankly it was brilliant as a decision to include him when the development team could have run with any of a dozen other iterations of the character.

The other good example of using black and white for effect is of course this: The instant the door opens we know that we are in a fundamentally different place and film then we were in the first 15 minutes.

"I think this stuff just kicked in."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Black & White is a very different medium than color. It can be great, if planned for! A big budget super hero film really isn't the place.

Snyder's Justice League sounds like the most pretentious film in a long time. Which... kinda tracks for Snyder.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Black & White is a very different medium than color. It can be great, if planned for! A big budget super hero film that is 4 hours long really isn't the place.

Snyder's Justice League sounds like the most pretentious film in a long time. Which... kinda tracks for Snyder.

Bolded for the part that really needs to be emphasized here; this fucker is going to be long and going by his previous works pretentious as fuck, so unless the goal is to try and cause the viewers attention span to atrophy I really can't see the point in robbing them of visual stimulation from color.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Black & White is a very different medium than color. It can be great, if planned for! A big budget super hero film that is 4 hours long really isn't the place.

Bolded for the part that really needs to be emphasized here; this fucker is going to be long and going by his previous works pretentious as fuck, so unless the goal is to try and cause the viewers attention span to atrophy I really can't see the point in robbing them of visual stimulation from color.

Right, Batman v Superman was overly convoluted as it was. I can only imagine what kind of pointlessness he'll fill four hours with.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    One of the 4 hours is just Batman killing mooks in slow motion, set to Hallelujah

• Options
    One of the 4 hours is just Batman killing mooks in slow motion, set to a reading of john galt's speech

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    One of the 4 hours is just Batman killing mooks in slow motion, set to a reading of john galt's speech

People, people, no need to argue.

One of those hours is just Batman killing mooks in slow motion, set to John Galt's speech, spoken as lyrics to a backing soundtrack of Hallelujah.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Honestly if any movie needed to be 4 hours it was Aquaman, they had like 3 different movies crammed in there

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

People, people, no need to argue.

One of those hours is just Batman killing mooks in slow motion, set to John Galt's speech, spoken as lyrics to a backing soundtrack of Hallelujah.

But it has to be the "epic" "slow" version of the song.

• Options

You’re asking us to carry a lot of unearned water

Not really asking you to do anything? I simply said "here's what we've observed" then "comics can be different, why couldn't something be different". Not saying it is. It was entirely about your "wonder woman has to be this way" statement.

This discussion has been closed.