Options

[WandaVision] Yakety Yak! Open Spoilers!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    If she’s stronger than Strange than maybe she can consciously astral project

The Ancient One had all kinds of tricks up her sleeve

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    If it's astral projection then it's fucking up the rules as established so far, where you astral projecting means your body is unconscious.

A decoy illusion would make more sense with our rules so far but also be kinda unnecessary in secluded mountain hideaway but shrug.

Decoy illusion makes sense considering she was doing things wrong.

She was drinking tea, then the kettle whistled, and she went and poured boiling water into the cup with no tea bag.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    -Loki- wrote: »
    If it's astral projection then it's fucking up the rules as established so far, where you astral projecting means your body is unconscious.

A decoy illusion would make more sense with our rules so far but also be kinda unnecessary in secluded mountain hideaway but shrug.

She was drinking tea, then the kettle whistled, and she went and poured boiling water into the cup with no tea bag.

Maybe she just likes spicy water.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Maybe it's just that if you're some kind of chump Sorcerer Supreme and not the Scarlett Witch you you need to be unconscious :P

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I'm like 99% sure there was a teabag hanging out of the cup while she was on the porch but I'm not gonna take the time to look it up because that'd be like four clicks and 30 seconds and who has time for that kind of nonsense.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't think she was astral projecting simply because that's always been coded visually by the person's soul being a glowy, wispy, visible thing and the world being cast in a shade of blue, whereas everything looks normal on the physical plane.

Given what we've seen, I don't think there's any chance she'd prefer to leave her vulnerable body walking around on autopilot when she can just throw out a solid illusion while she works.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    I think it was specifically coded to be astral projection, plus the fact that the score playing during that post credits scene is a somewhat menacing variation on the doctor strange theme.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If she’s stronger than Strange than maybe she can consciously astral project

The Ancient One had all kinds of tricks up her sleeve

I don't get why its even a discussion when they spent so much time deliberately and directly talking about how she breaks all the rules of magic anyways.

They didn't bring in xmen, but they sure did bring in their bad phoenix story line for the umbteeth time on film, can't wait......

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Eh. He has a point about Reed Richards showing up and Mephisto.

But they knew what they were referencing with Quicksilver, and making it a fake out was a deliberate thing to do, otherwise they would have just cast Aaron Taylor-Johnson. They knew it would get speculation going.

And Dr Strange showing showing up was an extremely obvious cameo, it’s not odd that everyone expected it to happen.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    They knew what they were doing. And they released it after news that Multiverse of Madness and Multiverse of Spider-Mens were coming out, and then had Wanda create a mini alternate universe and stunt casted Quicksilver. They were happy to let the speculation happen because it was driving viewers.

There's nothing wrong with the underlying story being about grief, but in retrospect so many things were handled poorly that were given leeway because a decent payoff was expected. I don't think anyone wanted Wanda and Agatha firing lasers at each other. Agatha was smart enough to come into Wanda's world without being affected by it and have a prominent role in it without triggering anything in Wanda, and smart enough to lure her down to a room where Agatha held all the power. And then she just decided to openly confront her out in the world without those protections. It was a cool visual seeing the runes on the hexagon, but it required Agatha to be stupid, and she hasn't been stupid up to that point.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Agatha needed Wanda to be able to chuck magic at her so she could steal it. That's why she let her outside and threatened her kids. Agatha just underestimated how quickly Wanda could pick up a new magic she had never seen before.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

But they knew what they were referencing with Quicksilver, and making it a fake out was a deliberate thing to do, otherwise they would have just cast Aaron Taylor-Johnson. They knew it would get speculation going.

Maybe. But it was pretty obvious by the end of episode 6 it was meant to be MCU Quicksilver. Anyone still holding the X-Pietro candle after that is on them.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    She could have just siphoned the hex since it's clearly magical and giving people abilities. It was just a lazy laser fight.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    She could have just siphoned the hex since it's clearly magical and giving people abilities. It was just a lazy laser fight.

So far she has only shown to be able to siphon magical attacks leveled at her, like what happened with the coven.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man read a really interesting take that Wanda's hex was an example of how someone going through mental issues hurts more than just themselves and those close to them but everyone. Obviously amplified by Wanda's magic and that its a super hero show.

It's a common thing in comics and almost the default in the MCU for stories to be allegory for personal/interpersonal problems, the heroes are metaphorically punching puberty or alcoholism or daddy issues or the disconnect between the man they are becoming and the man they think they're supposed to be.

DC is full of Gods pretending to be men
    Marvel is full of men pretending to be Gods

Many years ago, DC had a rule that the more powerful a hero was, the less personal flaws they should have. So Superman, as one of the most powerful, was at the time very nearly a perfect person even without powers (at least they kept insisting he was, there's a whole website of him just being a giant dick). Whereas Batman, as one of the least powerful, had a long list even before he got turned into a grimdark edgelord. It's not a bad rule, per se, the greatest hero would be a role model that everyone could strive to love up to.

Marvel had a less strict opposite rule, that more powerful heroes should have deeper flaws, so that their nearly perfect person is at the lower end and their top tier are people like Hulk and Phoenix, and Captain America is actually towards the lower ttier.

Sentry was created as a direct spoof on both these rules, the most powerful hero but so crippled by depression he'd sit out years worth of cosmic crises at a time unable to work up the willingness to get out of bed.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Thinking about it...

Why did they detain Hayward?

Like I know why it made sense in the emotion of the moment to us, the viewer, we know the dude is scuzz, that his actions helped to set all this into motion, etc.

But like... as far as the law goes, Dude seems like he’s gonna be fine, aside from maybe having to face tough questions about how his leadership caused the situation to FUBAR.

At worst he’s forced to tender a resignation before he gets some private sector PMC gig

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Thinking about it...

Like I know why it made sense in the emotion of the moment to us, the viewer, we know the dude is scuzz, that his actions helped to set all this into motion, etc.

But like... as far as the law goes, Dude seems like he’s gonna be fine, aside from maybe having to face tough questions about how his leadership caused the situation to FUBAR.

At worst he’s forced to tender a resignation before he gets some private sector PMC gig
    That would probably depend on what Woo can prove went down.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Thinking about it...

But I mean that’s the thing. I can’t think of anything that Hayward did that wasn’t actually within his legal authority, as screwed up as it all is.

Maybe him detaining Woo, but that at worst seems like it would be an interagency thing regarding Woo interfering with SWORD operations after being dismissed, while the FBI questions Hayward’s authority to unilaterally dismiss their representative on a joint task force, etc.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vision's living will might actually be actionable under the Sokovia Accords. Deploying White Vision, who is clearly upon deployment not the Vision that signed the Accords, is itself almost certainly a violation*. Because of Woo's past work, his division at the FBI might have final say on any Accords related problems and Hayward was not authorized to take violent action against Wanda.

Since punishments under the accords appear to include indefinite imprisonment without trial even ancillary violations being serious felonies makes sense.

*-the unanswered legal question of if a new mind in the same body is a new being can be answered by Hayward's intentions: he intended White Vision to NOT be the same being as original Vision.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Thinking about it...

But I mean that’s the thing. I can’t think of anything that Hayward did that wasn’t actually within his legal authority, as screwed up as it all is.

Maybe him detaining Woo, but that at worst seems like it would be an interagency thing regarding Woo interfering with SWORD operations after being dismissed, while the FBI questions Hayward’s authority to unilaterally dismiss their representative on a joint task force, etc.

The end result of his operation is Wanda being completely out of the fold and a new Vision who has gone rogue.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Enslaving a whole town while grieving is not exactly the best way to handle it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Hayward misplaced 3 billion dollars of vibranium, deployed a super in violation of the accords, and violated Vision's Do Not Resuscitate will. Not to mention chaining up Darcy in front of an expanding Hex like some sort of volcano sacrifice.

The drone probably recorded the murder attempt on Wanda and her kids, too.

Dude might get off on trial, but arresting him was not uncalled for.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

The Abrahamic god used to slaughter the first born and engage in some light genocide whenever he felt slighted.

It's not good, but on the deity level antisocial issues scale it's way less malicious and way easier to walk back and the biggest thing is it's something that she stopped rather then had it forced upon her.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

It is but not in the way it seems at first glance. The premise of this article is fans are being unreasonable to expect any set-up for future movies in this story. That is an indefensible stance considering the show we got. It starts as presenting itself as a mystery box show but never has an actual mystery to unravel.

We have Monica as one of the main character who ultimately never does anything with the main plot. She just exists there to get powers setting her up for Captain Marvel 2.

We get SWORD as an antagonist that never does anything relevant to the main plot. The closest we get is White Vision who has a physical and philosophical battle with Wanda Vision before flying off to be used in future movies having had zero impact on the story.

We have Ralph Bohner who was just useless other than getting fans to speculate wildly for something they apparently never intended to pay off. The character offers us absolutely nothing specifically tied to Quicksilver as a character. Vision could have filled in for that with a conversation about now knowing how she did it, and then taking it down causing his disappearance. Honestly, that probably would have worked better narratively.

We get Wanda's kids having powers which does nothing for the story. It does set-up some future plots for the movies though based on the last scene.

WandaVision did a lot of excessive stuff to set-up future movies. This makes sense when the show is billed to fans as being essential to setting up Phase 4 movies. It is utterly ridiculous to then try and pretend fans were ridiculous for reading too much into everything. Disney could have easily circumvented a lot of this but opted not to. They deliberately set the stage for this cycle of speculation and disappointment. Fans being disappointed that the show failed to deliver is not on the fans. It is on the people making the show building up more hype then they ever planned on paying off.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/03/wandavision-emma-caulfield-interview-dottie-who-is-sarah-proctor/amp

Brief interview with Emma Caulfield about her experience with WandaVision.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

It is but not in the way it seems at first glance. The premise of this article is fans are being unreasonable to expect any set-up for future movies in this story. That is an indefensible stance considering the show we got. It starts as presenting itself as a mystery box show but never has an actual mystery to unravel.

We have Monica as one of the main character who ultimately never does anything with the main plot. She just exists there to get powers setting her up for Captain Marvel 2.

We get SWORD as an antagonist that never does anything relevant to the main plot. The closest we get is White Vision who has a physical and philosophical battle with Wanda Vision before flying off to be used in future movies having had zero impact on the story.

We have Ralph Bohner who was just useless other than getting fans to speculate wildly for something they apparently never intended to pay off. The character offers us absolutely nothing specifically tied to Quicksilver as a character. Vision could have filled in for that with a conversation about now knowing how she did it, and then taking it down causing his disappearance. Honestly, that probably would have worked better narratively.

We get Wanda's kids having powers which does nothing for the story. It does set-up some future plots for the movies though based on the last scene.

WandaVision did a lot of excessive stuff to set-up future movies. This makes sense when the show is billed to fans as being essential to setting up Phase 4 movies. It is utterly ridiculous to then try and pretend fans were ridiculous for reading to much into everything. Disney could have easily circumvented a lot of this but opted not to. They deliberately set the stage for this cycle of speculation and disappointment. Fans being disappointed that the show failed to deliver is not on the fans. It is on the people making the show building up more hype then they ever planned on paying off.

It's like if they'd pre-promised something amazing in the final episode of the Mandalorian and Jar Jar Binks turned up. Instead, the show just traded on being good and interesting and then completely blindsided you with an amazing reveal. Wandavision is the reverse, overpromising and under delivering. They knew they were setting up a mystery box and thus it would be dissected.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

The Abrahamic god used to slaughter the first born and engage in some light genocide whenever he felt slighted.

It's not good, but on the deity level antisocial issues scale it's way less malicious and way easier to walk back and the biggest thing is it's something that she stopped rather then had it forced upon her.

Still something a good villian does

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Or she's like me and likes to put the teabag in second because then you get to watch the ripples of flavor leaking out of the teabag

Carpy on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Hayward misplaced 3 billion dollars of vibranium, deployed a super in violation of the accords, and violated Vision's Do Not Resuscitate will. Not to mention chaining up Darcy in front of an expanding Hex like some sort of volcano sacrifice.

There's also the whole Men's Rea aspect. He lied to Woo (who is an FBI agent), while probably violating the Accords. Even if he was legally empowered to reverse engineer and reactivate Vision, you could get him on conspiracy for not disclosing the anomaly wasn't the original.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I took Wanda's actions at the end to be something of a heel turn. I don't think she'll strictly be a "hero" moving forward.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I took Wanda's actions at the end to be something of a heel turn. I don't think she'll strictly be a "hero" moving forward.

I mean at her power level morality becomes more fluid...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Also I don't have a big problem with a show playing around with teasing something and not delivering, especially with something like the MCU where they can build something up over multiple properties and aren't exactly treating each one like it has to have the pay-off. Giving us blue balls for multiverse shenanigans or involving bigger characters in Wanda's storyline works fine for their purposes when there's a movie coming out with Wanda in it called the Multiverse of Madness. If it felt like this wasn't enough pay-off, it's because it wasn't actually the pay-off. I think they're being plenty deliberate about psyching us up for shit they don't plan to actually show us yet.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I like that they set up Captain Marvel 2 so that all of the people that never saw Captain Marvel weren't confused in this.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like that they set up Captain Marvel 2 so that all of the people that never saw Captain Marvel weren't confused in this.

I mean I'll be honest the last MCU movie I watched was Thor Ragnarok, I just knew the basics of what happens in endgame because people are terrible at spoilers. Show was still fine for me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So my question is: IIRC, they've been pretty explicit that Wanda's power comes from her tapping into the reality stone, but in this series she was being treated like a magic wielder and compared to the Sorcerer Supreme. Is the idea that what Strange and the witches are doing is also tapping into the reality stone, just visually different? Or is it just the witches that use the reality stone? Or are they all wrong?

(It's been a while since I've seen the Strange movie so if there's an explanation for the source of wizard powers, I forget and apologize.)

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options

Oh no I agree, he’s a bastard

I just get the feeling he’s got enough cover that at worst he, again, is asked to tender a resignation rather than any real comeuppance

Surely there’s plenty of Marvel orgs that could utilize someone of his duplicity and arrogant power plays

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The stones are the sources for everything in the universe, so it makes sense that some powers like magic would originate within them. But we're shown Wanda definitely had powers before hand, she just was powerleveled on XP by exposure to the stone.

Strange and his gang don't explicitly use the stones aside from the Eye which ended up being the Time Stone. They do however have a shitload of magical books that seem to contain dangerous magic, and one was missing from Wong's library...

To be clear, some people have magic abilities, others learn them, you don't need a stone to get them but it's like a cheat code if you do use a stone... Unless you're too weak in which case the stones just eat you

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Dac wrote: »
    So my question is: IIRC, they've been pretty explicit that Wanda's power comes from her tapping into the reality stone, but in this series she was being treated like a magic wielder and compared to the Sorcerer Supreme. Is the idea that what Strange and the witches are doing is also tapping into the reality stone, just visually different? Or is it just the witches that use the reality stone? Or are they all wrong?

(It's been a while since I've seen the Strange movie so if there's an explanation for the source of wizard powers, I forget and apologize.)

Up until now they've said that Wanda got her powers from the Mind Stone, not the Reality Stone.

But it's not that. The Mind Stone awakened Wanda's magical abilities without her having to study like you'd normally do, but at the end of the day it's still just magic, which has nothing to do with the Infinity Stones.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Having two Ships of Theseus discuss the Ship of Theseus was pretty fucking great.

Next they need to debate if the elevator is worthy.

You know, I welcome the new era of philosophy professors writing my superhero shows.

Vision really was a wave returning to the ocean.

Dammit, Draco. We just went over this!
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

I mean at her power level morality becomes more fluid...

Some people want to change the world.

Others can do it a little more easily and directly than expected.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!