As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Biden's Cabinet

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Both Alaskan Republicans voted yes. They were lobbied pretty hard by Native groups up there I think.

Oh, absolutely. Alaska and New Mexico are the only two states in the union where even the GOP has to pay attention to Natives.

(Well, and maybe Hawaii, depending on the year)

Hawaii I thought is so democrat the gop is non existant? Its just different versions of democrats?

Yeah, that's why I hedged, because that's a weird edge case

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Indian Country is a news outlet covering stories about/for/related to Indigenous Americans.
    BREAKING: A majority of U.S. Senators have voted to confirm Deb Haaland as the nation’s Secretary of the Interior, making her the first Native American in history to lead a Cabinet agency.

Full coverage: https://bit.ly/3vvzQJE

Frustratingly (if unsurprisingly) thin margin on the vote but this is very cool, very good, and long overdue.

Isn't the department of the interior the one in charge of native American affairs?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs falls under the Department of the Interior, yeah.

Which is part of what makes it so absurd/gross that there's literally never been an Indigenous Secretary of the Interior

This has me laughing my balls off. F*** yeah!

Edit: To be specific, I am happy with her appointment and picturing the dismay on the faces of those who though they were going to fuck over people covered by the Department of the Interior. Conservationists must be so pleased right now.

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    This seems like a pretty big "what have the Democrats done for you" moment.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    This seems like a pretty big "what have the Democrats done for you" moment.

There's a lot of things that Haaland was pushing for as a Representative that she has the power to do outright as SecInterior.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Both Alaskan Republicans voted yes. They were lobbied pretty hard by Native groups up there I think.

Oh, absolutely. Alaska and New Mexico are the only two states in the union where even the GOP has to pay attention to Natives.

Hawaii I thought is so democrat the gop is non existant? Its just different versions of democrats?

Hawaii is one of the first majority-minority states, so it's not surprising that a party building its platform on white supremacy is a hard sell there.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Haaland is where she is partially because the tribes delivered Arizona to Biden. And it is also a sea change for Tribes to have a woman from a rez in charge of the services they get. It changes from at best someone who would say the words but probably ignore them to at worst would aggressively target them to having one of their own to advocate and determine policy to help.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    She was the first cabinet person for Romney to vote against because Racism prevails.

Actually, more likely all the federal lands in Utah that will see utilization restricted.

schuss on
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Remember all the fighting about Tandem earlier? This could easily be Joe nominating her knowing this would happen to cut
    She was the first cabinet person for Romney to vote against because Racism prevails.

Actually, more likely all the federal lands in Utah that will see utilization restricted.

Which is all tied up in racism.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Remember all the fighting about Tandem earlier? This could easily be Joe nominating her knowing this would happen to cut

My favorite meme, why not both?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

My favorite meme, why not both?

Yeah, I doubt he would have voted for a white male Democrat in the post either. However, a lot of the statements about her from the GOP have been... noticeably different from what they have complained about white male Democratic nominees.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

It's another weird case because the Native Hawaiians don't have the same legal status as Native Americans, and the Hawaiian community is split on whether they want it or not. Some folks think it'd improve the situation, others don't want it because they're part of the sovereignty movement and don't want to settle for less than that.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Forbes writer summarizing politico "reporting" back on Nov. Its fairly funny because every single one was wrong. And only Mayor Pete and Susan Rice are in the Administration. And Rice is literally the opposite of Sec of State (domestic policy advisor)
    Per @Politico, frontrunners for Biden cabinet include:
    State: Susan Rice
    AG: Doug Jones
    HHS: Michelle Lujan Grisham
    Transport: Eric Garcetti
    Commerce: Meg Whitman
    Energy: Ernest Moniz
    Interior: Tom Udall
    Agriculture: Heidi Heitkamp
    VA: Pete Buttigieg https://t.co/SkN9Rsjhyr

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Politico!
    </aristocrats>

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I suspect the GOP fears with Haaland come down to.

-She will ensure they can't fuck with indigenous held land and public land as easily.
    -Given that the interior handles a ton of services, I have to wonder if they fear she might be able to adjust things so that Native Americans will have better access to the ballot box. I know GOP held states have plenty of tools to be absolute shit, but I sense this is an area of voting where the feds have a bit more leeway of reigning some of the shit in. Even though the vast majority of states don't have a setup where the GOP has to care about indigenous populations. Better access to the ballot box could mean that the GOP ends up losing seats they've stolen through suppression efforts and those seats could be the difference between maybe taking the US House of Representatives or have a veto proof majority at the state level or even a lock on a state level chamber. Hell, I want to say that North Dakota has a large enough native American population that if a statewide race gets close, they can easily be the group that tips things.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    PantsB wrote: »

Forbes writer summarizing politico "reporting" back on Nov. Its fairly funny because every single one was wrong. And only Mayor Pete and Susan Rice are in the Administration. And Rice is literally the opposite of Sec of State (domestic policy advisor)
    Per @Politico, frontrunners for Biden cabinet include:
    State: Susan Rice
    AG: Doug Jones
    HHS: Michelle Lujan Grisham
    Transport: Eric Garcetti
    Commerce: Meg Whitman
    Energy: Ernest Moniz
    Interior: Tom Udall
    Agriculture: Heidi Heitkamp
    VA: Pete Buttigieg https://t.co/SkN9Rsjhyr

In Rice's case I suspect they were correct about what Biden wanted but his people couldn't see her surviving a nomination. Because BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!!

shryke on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Meg Whitman!

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I love the instantly furious replies. I knew he'd disappoint me, and this list makes me angry... so probably Politico got this 100% correct!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I love the instantly furious replies. I knew he'd disappoint me, and this list makes me angry... so probably Politico got this 100% correct!

Which is 100% why they wrote this list like that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Meg Whitman!

She was still more plausible than Rahm

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Buttigieg at the VA wasn't a bad guess.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Doug Jones as AG wasn't a bad call either, but its still wrong, something to keep in mind when Politico tries to run any "inside" info articles about the white house. I mean shit if I remember right they were the ones banging the drum for Susan Rice as Veep.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Meg Whitman!

She was still more plausible than Rahm

Shut up, Meg!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Doug Jones as AG wasn't a bad call either, but its still wrong, something to keep in mind when Politico tries to run any "inside" info articles about the white house. I mean shit if I remember right they were the ones banging the drum for Susan Rice as Veep.

It really seems like that have zero sources in the Biden WH

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

It really seems like that have zero sources in the Biden WH

Well after what happened with TJ Duklo they certainly don't anymore if they ever did.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Politico writers probably got used to the white house leaking like a sieve

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I suspect the GOP fears with Haaland come down to.

-She will ensure they can't fuck with indigenous held land and public land as easily.
    -Given that the interior handles a ton of services, I have to wonder if they fear she might be able to adjust things so that Native Americans will have better access to the ballot box. I know GOP held states have plenty of tools to be absolute shit, but I sense this is an area of voting where the feds have a bit more leeway of reigning some of the shit in. Even though the vast majority of states don't have a setup where the GOP has to care about indigenous populations. Better access to the ballot box could mean that the GOP ends up losing seats they've stolen through suppression efforts and those seats could be the difference between maybe taking the US House of Representatives or have a veto proof majority at the state level or even a lock on a state level chamber. Hell, I want to say that North Dakota has a large enough native American population that if a statewide race gets close, they can easily be the group that tips things.

Amongst the more petty reasons I'm happy to see Haaland as SoI is that minority women in positions of power irritates the GOP something fierce.

• Options
    Apparently, the Alaskan republican party has voted to censor Murkowski because her voting to confirm Haaland was the final straw for them. Will be funny if the GOP reaction to Haaland's confirmation ends up being something that kills their stranglehold on Alaskan politics.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Apparently, the Alaskan republican party has voted to censor Murkowski because her voting to confirm Haaland was the final straw for them. Will be funny if the GOP reaction to Haaland's confirmation ends up being something that kills their stranglehold on Alaskan politics.

It won't be. The demographics in Alaska are absurdly dire.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'll be honest, there's a small part of me that is surprised that Murkowski hasn't gone the King/Sanders route, and gone Independent. She already won the seat once that way, and it doesn't stop her from caucusing with Republicans (much as King and Sanders do with Democrats), and it's clear her vision of the Republican party, and the one currently exists, aren't even close to similar.

And shit, Trump has already said he wants her gone.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/04/trump-murkowski-campaign-mattis-302308

And that was a half year BEFORE the second impeachment hearing.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I'll be honest, there's a small part of me that is surprised that Murkowski hasn't gone the King/Sanders route, and gone Independent. She already won the seat once that way, and it doesn't stop her from caucusing with Republicans (much as King and Sanders do with Democrats), and it's clear her vision of the Republican party, and the one currently exists, aren't even close to similar.

I mean that's true for a number of republicans. Though not as many as before because a ton of them nope'd out once they saw what was coming.

And part of me can't blame them because I know I wouldn't want to deal with that shit but at the same time... fuck them? Because if nothing else I feel they had a obligation to fight back.

• Options

It won't be. The demographics in Alaska are absurdly dire.

Depends on what you envision here. More favorable to democrats, probably not. Some third party or independent that the GOP often loses too, I'd say it could happen. One take away I see from the GOP's fit over Haaland being confirmed, is that they do not see minorities as legitimate office holders. Given Alaska's demographics, that can easily bite them in the ass, since it does sound like the indigenous people of the state pushed hard for her confirmation. I mean it's a pretty bad look when the thing that is the final straw, is that you voted to confirm a woman that is a minority to a post that is very important to native Americans, and it was the indigenous people of Alaska, a major voting block, that really wanted her to get confirmed.

Like if it does break the GOP's stranglehold, I don't know what we see come out of it because Alaskan politics a quite the mess right now.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Katherine Tai confirmed as top U.S. trade negotiator
    Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

The Senate approved her nomination 98-0, marking a rare bipartisan agreement in a deeply-divided Washington.

Among her first tasks will be advising the president on what to do about existing tariffs on most imported Chinese products, presiding over enforcement of a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada, and seeking a negotiated end to a long-running commercial dispute with the European Union.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Quick tangent, but Alaska recently voted in ranked choice, so when it's time for Murkowksi to run for reelection, she'll have the benefit of the left voting her for #2 since she's infinitely more preferably than whatever extremist Republican they'll trot out.

Not impossible to knock her out, but extremely difficult.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

The Senate approved her nomination 98-0, marking a rare bipartisan agreement in a deeply-divided Washington.

Among her first tasks will be advising the president on what to do about existing tariffs on most imported Chinese products, presiding over enforcement of a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada, and seeking a negotiated end to a long-running commercial dispute with the European Union.

"Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

Whenever I see this, while it's great this is the case finally, it's also an indictment on the system, that it's taken this long.

Though, to be honest, I was legit surprised when I looked it up, and saw it was a 98-0 confirmation. Honestly thought confirmations would cap out at ~80 votes.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Mazzyx wrote: »

"Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

Whenever I see this, while it's great this is the case finally, it's also an indictment on the system, that it's taken this long.

Though, to be honest, I was legit surprised when I looked it up, and saw it was a 98-0 confirmation. Honestly thought confirmations would cap out at ~80 votes.

It's a "joke" between me and my wife that we are currently actually at where we basically thought things were at in the 90's.

(We were both barely teenagers in the 90's. Also, do not look up too much actual 90's pop culture to get a contemporaneous glimpse in to what it was actually like unless you want to be cringe sad. The past is a different country.)

moniker on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Well, the people who were teens in the '90s have actual power now.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

where's mine

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

where's mine

the 1990s chanus, not the 1890s

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

where's mine

the 1990s chanus, not the 1890s

ah heck

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Not in Congress they don't.

Shit, there's only a handful of Senators who would even have been teenagers even at the start of the 90s and only for like the first few years which barely count.