As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    The blue chick with hair blowing against the wind up there has my first shot at crackle medium for basing (that wasn't a total disaster). I used the Vallejo crackle medium.

I used a square slotted base with a piece of duct tape over the slot. I actually used a square of duct tape over the entire recessed portion of the base, which was the wrong move. In my case you can see it peeled, not a good look.

I painted the duct tape dark blue first and then I filled the base with crackle. That base was pretty shallow though, next time I'd use a deeper base.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thought you'd like to see my store's painting contest for this month. I don't have an entrant in here. Got enough Transformers. :D

Also the store staff are surprised that the guy on the far right is in the beginner category (for next month), but the painter insisted.

0ICSJIah.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    McGibs wrote: »
    And a cheeky little Culexus assassin!
    b96is1pw1vac.jpg

@McGibs I like it, but the decision to remodel this
    alg3sytt1bul.jpeg
    into that makes me think of an old game by Shiny Entertainment where the hero had a gun head, MDK:
    9bbbzzfdxjdb.jpg

Makes more sense when the 'gun' is just a focusing array for a (anti-) psychic attack.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, MDK was exactly what was going through my mind. I was honestly trying out different "head sniper rifle" looks, but couldn't settle on the right bits and ended up just settling for a laser-lens.
    I only ever played the first few levels of that game from a PC gamer demodisk, but the big dumb gun helmet and the ribbon parachute definitely burned their way into my young brain.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    All of my friends in high school (so, like 3 people,) played the demo disk of MDK but none of us could find copies of the actual game where we're lived. We just assumed we were the only people who had ever been interested.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    re: crackle media, it almost all flaked off from just picking up the base when I came back to it this morning so scraped it all off (which was rather satisfying in an unsettlingly biological way) and am trying a random goggled forum suggestion of putting a layer of PVA down first to give a slightly more flexible surface for it to adhere to.

Here's a test guy for what's going on the bases when/if I manage something.

3hjM8oS.jpg?1

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Finished the second Rockgut squad, this time without necklaces. Variety! Only have the Troggoth Hag left to paint and that's 2000 points ready.

6zMQhdo.jpg

Midway through the squad I got bored of them and did a test Chaos Knight. I don't know why putting snow on the bases is so satisfying but...it is.

3LcfLqT.jpg

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Thought you'd like to see my store's painting contest for this month. I don't have an entrant in here. Got enough Transformers. :D

Also the store staff are surprised that the guy on the far right is in the beginner category (for next month), but the painter insisted.

0ICSJIah.jpg

I love the Herbie crossover.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Huh. Didn’t see him down there. Also is that a Bat-Starscream?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Brother Galen based and ready for duty.

5Md6WuPl.jpg
    jbiet5Ul.jpg
    2x6jlWFl.jpg
    bb1j1LUl.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Knocked out a Skeletal Minotaur. Used the instant paints for the bone. Everything else was regular or metallic paints and washes. I wasn't 100% on the rust until I coated it in anti-shine varnish, then it really pops I think in contrast to the blue steel shine of the armor that still comes through. Not to bad for trying the effect for the first time. I do need to get some better grasses though. This stuff is too one tone. There's no contrast and not enough separation between strands.

5e3k8fs1hvwe.jpg
    b7yn0kuyl3rm.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You can try applying a wash/shade to grass clumps to help with the tone, it's generally a good idea regardless of what type of grass you're using.

I've been painting on and off, but mostly scenery stuff which isn't too exciting, but I did finish up these Daughters of Khaine endless spells a couple of weeks ago, which I think might be the best faction spell models GW has done? Granted I'm pretty biased when it comes to the Khainites, but I think all of these sculpts are pretty sweet!

fsly2e9xu6ml.jpg
    d1dqiczcmypw.jpg
    a6zorgs0jmyl.jpg
    qn86y4i8cw1t.jpg

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    That snake is effing rad. Love the pale scales with the blue and red.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    How long for AK or Mig streaking grime to dry?

Like dry dry, so I can drybrush rust effects on without them blending.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gotta say, I'm not 100% sold on Instant colors as a process, but the real dark ones do make for an excellent wash.

hv0ymdj36n0q.jpg

• Options
    Knocked out my blightlords this week. Getting my DG paint scheme down a little better with some repetition.

o6bgzx9tbwe3.jpg
    6bvq49xqmrhb.jpg
    jqy8eantfn25.jpg
    liyuoftsczkj.jpg
    127z157t4kbx.jpg
    ozyq9xnldsgz.jpg
    cg8ixprzwygn.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Man the Death Guard miniatures are amazing. They've got so much variety & personality, and their theming is so strong. I generally like the Undivided or Tzeentch fluff more, but the DG minis are on another level.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Man the Death Guard miniatures are amazing. They've got so much variety & personality, and their theming is so strong. I generally like the Undivided or Tzeentch fluff more, but the DG minis are on another level.

They give off such a strong "We had so much fun designing and making these" energy. Full on drawing weird gross monsters in school workbooks vibes.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nurgle definitely has the most "character" across the board of all factions. Both daemons and Marines.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2021
    kr2ossq2oysh.jpeg

ih2eex3aaub4.jpeg

3ft818ql7y19.jpeg

gjyfre9bjqn2.jpeg

They’re done - click the spoiler to see different angles, these things are super reactive to light

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Those are super well done. Great job!

My army painter wet pallet just arrived. I might have to do some painting tonight!

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Success! Painted another couple models in just 8 days since I completed the last batch.

This completed my current backlog and means I get to open some boxes again! 😁
    ty7w0p09e6tq.jpeg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What's the best way to remove excess resin or plastic from miniature. I recently got a creature caster Mini and it has plastic between some of the thinner bits that I don't want to damage and I'm not sure how to remove the plastic from between them

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Very sharp pen knife

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Very sharp pen knife

Very, very sharp. And very, very pointed. And very, very delicately; use as little pressure as possible. If necessary, score the line you're cutting with the blade first before you trim through with the blade.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Very sharp blade and very careful motions. The various scalpels and hobby blades you can get would do the trick.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Scalpel is my go to tool for removing shims. A Swann Morton #12 blade (the one with the recurved “hook” shape) for odd angles and a stitch cutter for really tight spaces.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Not my best photography, I will redo it with natural light later. But the watchmaster is done.

WtccUXul.jpg
    xBIFqnTl.jpg
    QgymWLUl.jpg
    yQEvHJ2l.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find if I have something like that to use. I've been using the non-sharp GW mold line cleaner which is good generally, but obviously not ideal for this sort of thing.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Cracked open my Kill Team starter box and have begun work on the terrain.

Super excited to see how it turns out, primed with some Runelord Brass, lots of work to go...ldb10yqqizi2.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anyone have any luck with third party custom water transfers?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I finally finished a project that I started last...November? God, not sure anymore.

Anyway, Smoke Jaguar stompy bots for Battletech. So many goddamn jaguar spots....

JkpTeYxh.jpg

mn19hjMh.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Thinking about using the same/a similar scheme as the one I used for my Splintered Fang for my Slaanesh stuff (would probably make the Seekers a serpentine Green, but I might try to go for unique coloring on them if I want to make my life a lot harder go for something a bit more labor intensive. Don't know what I'd want to do for the Daemonette's skin though. I could just use human skin tones but that seems off.
    (old picture)
    xuo7afhumy98.jpg

I might go with a vibrant green color theme though.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    After painting a fair bit for the last few weeks I'm starting to see consistent improvement. I was able to knock out a displacer beast in less than two hours and I'm pretty happy with the quality. I also switched to a wet pallet and being able to mix colors on the pallet is SUPER nice.

Edit: With basing about 2.75 hours start to finish, not counting tack time.

jbei3928c7gn.jpeg
    bc9xq40hhw3o.jpeg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    A couple months ago we started renovating and came across a box with a bunch of Warhammer Fantasy bits and sprues from my younger days. I started thinking "Hey I remember painting being real fun!" and bought a few paints and brushes. Painting a bunch of Lizardmen/Welves/(Skaven...) seemed like a little too much so I looked around and thought SW Legion looked great!

Here's my first Legion mini of hopefully many:
    jtoqgUW.png

My desk isn't that great for photos so hopefully the impromptu green isn't too grating.
    Anyway this Dewback will likely be next unless I feel like cracking open that box of Mandos I bought.

K8uVJyJ.jpg

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Finished up my Chaos Lord for a (virtual) game today. I gotta set up a proper white background and get that hobby desk out of the shots.

JipARR0.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2021
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Finished up my Chaos Lord for a (virtual) game today. I gotta set up a proper white background and get that hobby desk out of the shots.
    JipARR0.jpg

I just folded the blank side of some white paper 90 degrees and then use that as the background.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DocSamson wrote: »

JipARR0.jpg

I like the entire model, but especially how you've done the mounts scales. those look really good and I get albino alligator vibes.

As far as the background I like the workspace background. A featureless void background can be nice, but having an actual background adds something too, I think. You're model is well lit and in focus so I think it works.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I spent the better part of 6 hours painting ceilings today. My body hurts and I'm very tired. I really miss miniatures. =_=

• Options
    So I'm painting up the Balor mini from the Wizkids line, all primed and assembled. The problem being that with the wings and the fire whip installed you can't reach the back at all and most of one leg. I had to cut off the whip and was luckily able to snap off the wings right where they joined the body. I'll have to re-glue them back together come final assembly and do some touch up. Below is a picture of one in the box and the other is my WIP progress so far.

420lu017r1mv.png

rzu1zshupjr4.jpg