As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Fun discovery about the ppc patch:

CERPPC has splash damage, previously it was something like 10/5 for damage.

It was discovered recently that the splash damage had a percentage component to it, which was edited incorrectly under the assumption that it was “Splash damage” not “splash percent.”

In other words, instead of one CERPPC now being 12/6, it’s 12/8 (actually it’s fractional, about 19.2 total damage per shot). May seem like a minor difference, but it will add up over the course of a game and is a good reason why certain people shouldn’t be touching the XMLs.

That’s incredible. Holy crap.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-lands-on-steam-in-may

May 27th. Probably $50. No word on Heroes of the Inner Sphere pricing.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Is there an advantage to nascaring in MWO that I am not seeing? Been playing an assault lately and it most just seems to result in my ass getting melted while trying to keep up

It’s the easiest strategy for a barely-organized pickup team to adopt, especially since lots of the maps have design elements that favor it. The faster and/or more cohesive team picks up an easy kill or two and snowballs to victory. If the enemy team is eating you from behind well, that means it’s working.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/279634-the-great-dev-and-streamer-hunt-event-3/page__view__findpost__p__6385221
    Daeron wrote:
    I'll go ahead and announce it here until I get a post up, we're rolling back the weapons and MASC changes from the March patch in April, and will be establishing a Public Test Server before the end of the month, which will feature all of the weapons changes proposed by the Gulag player group (now called the Cauldron), and we should be able to run multiple iterations of PTS before the May patch, at which point assuming we have a positive outcome and consensus, those initial changes can be implemented for May.

We haven't done a Dev Vlog yet, because we had to sort this situation out, and establish our path moving forward. Now that we're confident in our plans, we'll get the Dev Vlog out within the next few days with more details about the April and May patches.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/279634-the-great-dev-and-streamer-hunt-event-3/page__view__findpost__p__6385221
    Daeron wrote:
    I'll go ahead and announce it here until I get a post up, we're rolling back the weapons and MASC changes from the March patch in April, and will be establishing a Public Test Server before the end of the month, which will feature all of the weapons changes proposed by the Gulag player group (now called the Cauldron), and we should be able to run multiple iterations of PTS before the May patch, at which point assuming we have a positive outcome and consensus, those initial changes can be implemented for May.

We haven't done a Dev Vlog yet, because we had to sort this situation out, and establish our path moving forward. Now that we're confident in our plans, we'll get the Dev Vlog out within the next few days with more details about the April and May patches.

What I find interesting is exactly what was posted later on after that post. How even though the majority of the MWO players hate the changes, we just adapted to them and moved on... Sadly I have to agree with that since I adapted my play style to the new weapons changes. The only thing I hate is how I can't run my Lights like I used to. I liked hiding near an enemy mech and unloading a few rounds into them before someone noticed then having the ability to scoot myself back to safety. With the higher alphas I am unable to do that and have to be on the constant move. I know that is how most people play Lights, but I enjoyed the break from dodging, running at full speed, taking pot shots, and continuing till it was pretty much the end. I do find myself playing like a chicken on fire, but now find myself playing a Medium or Heavy to enjoy the ability to stand and unload.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What are the weapon changes proposed by this "Gulag player group" exactly?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    This is what's going into the initial PTS: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1taXSOyqDV07Na_ALd2VeWngk0AGqcOatlpFhxVj8J4w/mobilebasic

They have also proposed additional changes to mech agility, mech quirks, and mech scaling as well, but that is for the future.

EDIT: There is also talk of modifying UACs so they no longer jam, but they have a longer cooldown instead.

Nobody on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The number changes there are small enough that it looks like there's some real consideration there. That said, I never use CASE, and as such I had no idea it couldn't be equipped to arms and legs. Is that just a MWO thing or is that a thing that exists in Battletech rules / lore?

• Options
    In Battletech rules, IS CASE can indeed only be placed in side torsos. It's not until the Clans that every location can take it, and it's free.

• Options
    In Battletech rules, IS CASE can indeed only be placed in side torsos. It's not until the Clans that every location can take it, and it's free.
    And people scoff at me for favoring Clan tech.

• Options
    Yes but IS gets Heavy Gauss, the component eraser.

Also, IS mechs tend to be much tankier and agile than clan mechs.

• Options
    I dunno if I was playing like shit or being outclassed like crazy tonight but it was rough. And then for the last two matches I played I jumped into the stupid meme Awesome, and I kicked ass all over the place. Especially in the first of those two matches; 800+ damage.

I think I solved an existential problem I was having with my Stormcrow. I swapped the ER mediums for small pulse lasers (keeping the ER large). I'm gonna keep an eye on heat use / management as I play a lot of matches with it. If I'm not breaking a sweat on heat, then I'm gonna change the pulse lasers up to mediums, dropping some heat sinks to make it possible. But it'll be worth it, hypothetically. The ER mediums + larges wasn't kicking out damage for shit in brawl situations because the cooldowns on ER mediums are fucking murder.

• Options
    Yes but IS gets Heavy Gauss, the component eraser.

Also, IS mechs tend to be much tankier and agile than clan mechs.

IS also gets RACs, the highest skill weapon in the game.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Daeron wrote:

What I find interesting is exactly what was posted later on after that post. How even though the majority of the MWO players hate the changes, we just adapted to them and moved on... Sadly I have to agree with that since I adapted my play style to the new weapons changes. The only thing I hate is how I can't run my Lights like I used to. I liked hiding near an enemy mech and unloading a few rounds into them before someone noticed then having the ability to scoot myself back to safety. With the higher alphas I am unable to do that and have to be on the constant move. I know that is how most people play Lights, but I enjoyed the break from dodging, running at full speed, taking pot shots, and continuing till it was pretty much the end. I do find myself playing like a chicken on fire, but now find myself playing a Medium or Heavy to enjoy the ability to stand and unload.

Lights feel pretty bad man right now with the changes.
    Today has been one of those days where I average about 25 damage per match, every time I turn a corner one of my mechs legs gets blown off instantly.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Lasvom is terrible for brawling

I mean, I do it anyway because I’ll brawl with ERPPCs and AC/2s too.

It’s good for midrange trading, especially if you can keep the crosshairs on the same component while you are both moving, but if you’re going for the brawl, you’re better off with pulses.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but these days it feels like it's pretty rare to get a proper brawl going. Usually the match is decided before you even get to that point, what with half the team being in poptarts and snipers.

• Options
    Yeah I haven't been into (IS) pulses for a while... the clan ones at least have better range if you get stuck poking. Like they're *clearly* really good but I hate relying on my team in quick play to not go 0/4 before I can get into that 200m sweet spot and start messing with folks. I was joking about RACs being high skill above, but half the reason I really like them and stuff like the COR is they let you be self sufficient. Brawl happens? Tripple RAC2s are pretty nasty. They poke just fine, specially on something with dumb hardpoints like the COR and if you get left behind in a nascar you can be an anvil half the time and win the game by blocking the rotation/trading up. If I was playing with a coordinated team I'd love to run a 6 pulse jester or something though.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Yeah I haven't been into (IS) pulses for a while... the clan ones at least have better range if you get stuck poking. Like they're *clearly* really good but I hate relying on my team in quick play to not go 0/4 before I can get into that 200m sweet spot and start messing with folks. I was joking about RACs being high skill above, but half the reason I really like them and stuff like the COR is they let you be self sufficient. Brawl happens? Tripple RAC2s are pretty nasty. They poke just fine, specially on something with dumb hardpoints like the COR and if you get left behind in a nascar you can be an anvil half the time and win the game by blocking the rotation/trading up. If I was playing with a coordinated team I'd love to run a 6 pulse jester or something though.

Many years ago the 7MPL Thunderbolt was so feared by the Clanners that they got ComStar PGI to tune it down. Those days were glorious with the wub sounds echoing the universe. Community Warfare was crazy when the Drop Commander called for the Thunderbolt rush and TDR-5SS would drop from the sky, form up and murder its way through whatever the Clanners had in hiding.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Generally IS MPL > Clan MPL due to faster cycle rate and lower duration. The range on Clan MPL isn’t terrible, but it has almost the same burn time as a standard IS medium laser.

Being mounted on such chassis as the Vulcan-5T, Wolfhound, and K9 helps IS MPLs too.

• Options
    Generally IS MPL > Clan MPL due to faster cycle rate and lower duration. The range on Clan MPL isn’t terrible, but it has almost the same burn time as a standard IS medium laser.

Being mounted on such chassis as the Vulcan-5T, Wolfhound, and K9 helps IS MPLs too.

To be fair the only thing I run clan MPLs on is the deathstrike and that chassis is broken AF, so it might not have given me the fairest comparison.

• Options
    Yeah I run dual CUAC/10 and 6 CMPL on mine, it’s toasty as hell but it does ugly things to anybody in LOS

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Many years ago the 7MPL Thunderbolt was so feared by the Clanners that they got ComStar PGI to tune it down. Those days were glorious with the wub sounds echoing the universe. Community Warfare was crazy when the Drop Commander called for the Thunderbolt rush and TDR-5SS would drop from the sky, form up and murder its way through whatever the Clanners had in hiding.

Fuck, I think one of my Thuds is still specced for this loadout...

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

Fuck, I think one of my Thuds is still specced for this loadout...

I partially upgraded all mine to some variations of the original builds just to honor their awesomeness. Not sure if I ever touched the 5SS since it was my first competitive chassis and build the Oosiks got me to buy and Master after joining up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular

There was so much salt from the IS actually winning every now and again with the Thunderbolt drop. That was a fun couple of weeks, if I remember right Ghost Bear was pushed all the way back...

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

There was so much salt from the IS actually winning every now and again with the Thunderbolt drop. That was a fun couple of weeks, if I remember right Ghost Bear was pushed all the way back...

Yeah, Ghost Bear was pretty much at one planet I believe. That was hilarious (well not for our Iron Oosik brother).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Engineering time. You know that Awesome LRM15 build?

As per video:
    4x LRM15
    9 tons of ammo
    TAG laser
    4 double heat sinks (two internal)
    300 XL engine, 60 KPH move speed
    Light Ferro armor, standard structure

My tuning:
    4x LRM15
    10 tons of ammo
    TAG laser
    3 double heat sinks (one internal)
    285 Light engine, 57 KPH move speed
    standard armor, Endo-Steel structure

So in exchange for not dying from losing a torso, it loses a minor amount of KPH, a minor amount of heat efficiency, and gains a ton of ammo. And technically a few precious points of armor are gained too.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I have two builds for the free Grasshopper but can't decide on which will be better (mostly because I haven't tested one of them).

The first is 3 large pulse lasers and 4 small lasers, sitting with a grade 305 light engine. It's hard to gauge how this works because it's piloting a heavy class that's tall, and also that general new-mech-jitters.

The second is a 280 light engine (standard on the grade, upgraded from, uh, standard), with 4 large pulse lasers. It's technically a damage drop, but it can hit harder at range for sure.

In either case the heat management isn't too bad. You can't sit there brawling forever, but you're also not at too bad a disadvantage.

Large Pulse Lasers, I have learned, have very short cooldowns compared to similar size weapons. Plus IS LPLs have like a .67 burn time, compared to Clan LPLs have over 1 second burn time. I hate that I'm starting to favor IS mechs.

Edit - BTW, what the fuck to the "-10% missile whatever" bonus on the free Grasshopper. The missile hard point is on the cockpit, meaning 1 slot. That fits only LRM5s, SRM2s and 4s, and the Streaks thereof. That's it. Oof.

Henroid on
  • Options
    3xLPL is a pretty solid build, you can alpha the LPL over and over again no problem.

4xLPL is very spicy, you have to 3+1 alpha it to avoid ghost heat and the slower speed can be a disadvantage if your team decides to book it.
    Edit - BTW, what the fuck to the "-10% missile whatever" bonus on the free Grasshopper. The missile hard point is on the cockpit, meaning 1 slot. That fits only LRM5s, SRM2s and 4s, and the Streaks thereof. That's it. Oof.

Welcome to the world of “you quirked that? Really?

• Options
    Yeah I'm gonna give the 4x LPL thing a shot tomorrow. I was shocked it can fire 3 at once without ghost heating.

I'm also gonna keep my eyes out for a medium clan mech that can handle LPLs well. Two of them at least.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    HBK-IIC-A, VGL-1

Neither have any quirks, but the Hunchback has high mounts and the VEagle is, well, a VEagle. Both have jumpjets.

Keep in mind Clans only have an HSL of 2 compared to IS HSL of 3 (can only fire 2 without ghost heat compared to IS and 3).

Nobody on
  • Options
    I'm not a jumpjet fan. And I already have a Vapor Eagle and fucking hate it.

I'm aware of the HSL on clan LPLs, that's why I was surprised at 3 being allowed for IS.

I wanna be able to give every weapon in this game a chance, is my new sort of meta goal. The hard part of this for me is gonna be justifying different PPC grades on the IS side. Or... getting used to them. Or liking them. But experience with all weapons will kinda help me figure out my eventual transformation into a super-pro at this ga-hahaha just kidding, it's just shit to fuck around with. :V

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Sorry, brought it up because I felt I’d be remiss not to mention it.

You can run just one for maneuvering and getting over debris, no need to go all out and max jump jets

Here’s a decent build for the HBK-IIC-A. All of your lasers are cockpit level so you can hill peak incredibly well.

Alternative VGL-4 which doesn’t use jump jets, but you need to protect that right arm.

Nobody on
  • Options
    My problem, I've discovered, is that I bought a Pirhana. Every match I play I get killed <1min of dropping. Something about it makes me run directly into large groups of people.

• Options
    Double:
    Just had a match where 5 people on my team were either DC or AFK. Domination. Their entire team was on the center hill of Grim before anyone but me made it halfway to the cap zone. I just ran into the middle of the enemy team and stopped. Why bother.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    My problem, I've discovered, is that I bought a Pirhana. Every match I play I get killed <1min of dropping. Something about it makes me run directly into large groups of people.
    Well, you are a mindless, hungry fish in the river. =P

Seriously though, Piranhas are Priority #1 (and I love it). When they first dropped into the game, they were so overpowered and had way too much armor for what they did. Heck, I could tank a Raven, chew threw its armor shooting at its front with the MGs, and still have enough armor to walk away and take out another mech. That Raven pilot was so pissed afterwards calling me a hack. PGI eventually nerfed their armor quirks (like they did to the Arctic Cheetah) and now it is much flimsier yet still deadly. Thanks to that time period people flat out hate it and you can actually get an entire Lance to squirrel after you if you peek out behind them just right.

If I'm piloting one, I'll eventually run up against fellow Oosiks @Glal and take off side torsos. >_<
    Double:
    Just had a match where 5 people on my team were either DC or AFK. Domination. Their entire team was on the center hill of Grim before anyone but me made it halfway to the cap zone. I just ran into the middle of the enemy team and stopped. Why bother.

Or maybe you're just cursed. Yep, let's go with cursed.

Are you running the 1 or 2? I made my PIR-2 a self destruct abomination once (think I fully equipped it with as many heavy smalls and a few micros). Took it out and shot a few rounds without overheating, then near the end I alphaed into a back of an Enemy mech. Sadly I didn't kill the mech I shot, but it was hilarious standing there completely shut down for a few seconds before completely blowing up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    PIR2. I also nearly destroyed myself the first match in it because what even is the testing grounds.

• Options
    PIR2. I also nearly destroyed myself the first match in it because what even is the testing grounds.

Yeah, I still swear that the Testing Ground is still missing something.

You should pick up a PIR-1 to complement it, 12 MGs chewing into backs is so beautiful. My build was copied by some streamer after they spectated me. I run 1HML and the 12MGs, not the other meta with 3 smaller lasers. I first had it with a cERML but figured why not go all in. The ML allows me to poke more early on and later on it does a smidge more damage to chew through more armor for my MGs. Although there are days when I consider going back to smaller lasers and more ammo.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Jumpjets are life.

I NEED a certain amount of speed and JJs or I just feel utterly fucking useless.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

As per video:
    4x LRM15
    9 tons of ammo
    TAG laser

My tuning:
    4x LRM15
    10 tons of ammo
    TAG laser

So in exchange for not dying from losing a torso, it loses a minor amount of KPH, a minor amount of heat efficiency, and gains a ton of ammo. And technically a few precious points of armor are gained too.

NGL, builds like this annoy me to no end.

A huge chunk of the team's tonnage and tankability has committed to sitting about a half-klick back from the front lines and making everyone else do all the work.

I understand why people build them, and done correctly, they're a decent enough thing, but they are forever linked in my mind with the guy who lobs 10k missiles into the walls and bitches about people not maintaining locks.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

As per video:
    4x LRM15
    9 tons of ammo
    TAG laser

My tuning:
    4x LRM15
    10 tons of ammo
    TAG laser

NGL, builds like this annoy me to no end.

A huge chunk of the team's tonnage and tankability has committed to sitting about a half-klick back from the front lines and making everyone else do all the work.

I understand why people build them, and done correctly, they're a decent enough thing, but they are forever linked in my mind with the guy who lobs 10k missiles into the walls and bitches about people not maintaining locks.

I used to think the same thing, till I saw a LRM Awesome doing it right. If you run in the middle of the pack you can share some of that armor. I usually run my 2LRM20 (and SL) Archer Tempest trying to stay just outside of the 180 range to stay with the team, offer support (ECM) and tank some damage for others if need be.

oosik_betsuni.png