Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Ugh. Desire sensor is working. I need one Narga Medulla, and it still isn't showing up after repeated farming. :/ THAT'S how you know it's a Monster Hunter game.

Me, but with Machalite last night. I made four rounds of the zone, to get one piece.

Made the weapon....got six on my next quest.

Mon hun baybeee

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Ugh. Desire sensor is working. I need one Narga Medulla, and it still isn't showing up after repeated farming. :/ THAT'S how you know it's a Monster Hunter game.

Me, but with Machalite last night. I made four rounds of the zone, to get one piece.

Made the weapon....got six on my next quest.

Mon hun baybeee

God this is me. "I just need one of these f'ing things one time ONE TIME" and then just happen to get 8 on a quest I wasn't even trying to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Whetstones feel like a different mechanic to something like bone gathering, or getting the ingredients for barrel bombs.

I hope they keep items in the balance they have now because it feels like a good middle ground between memorizing a map and farming and then pointless button mashing in menus for 10 minutes and just giving them to you outright.

Looking for the proper plant and mining spot has led me to do expeditions even in Rise.

I mean, I haven't really gotten far enough to really get into it, but I hated the farm loops for boring ass ingredients to make make basic ass shit. Or farming khezu for an hour to make armor/power stuff.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I like the relic messages as a reward for exploring maps thoroughly. Not sure if collecting them gets you anything.

Also, it amuses me that you can treat your palamute like a yoshi and jump off it midair.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    How do I stay up in the air longer with IG?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Re: Desire Sensor.

I've been tempting Fate and using the Wishlist. It hasn't cursed me so far!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    As someone who has poked at this series since the very beginning in 2004 but never had one stick until like my 4th try at World and then going back to GU ... Rise is the just right bowl of porridge for me so far.

There's some things from GU I'd rather they'd kept and some things from World I feel they've over-streamlined but ultimately it's the MH that respects my time the most.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Many Nargas died for me to get this Medulla. Finally.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I like the relic messages as a reward for exploring maps thoroughly. Not sure if collecting them gets you anything.

Also, it amuses me that you can treat your palamute like a yoshi and jump off it midair.

When you finally collect all of them you get a message that just says "good job, you're done now" and then turns off your switch. If you boot the game back up it boots to a sphinx asking you 3 questions in the form of riddle-poems. Each time you answer incorrectly it deletes the save data for your longest played game.

LD50 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    As someone who has poked at this series since the very beginning in 2004 but never had one stick until like my 4th try at World and then going back to GU ... Rise is the just right bowl of porridge for me so far.

There's some things from GU I'd rather they'd kept and some things from World I feel they've over-streamlined but ultimately it's the MH that respects my time the most.

Yeah. I sounds like they are finally hitting the sweet spot with the gameplay. Making it more convenient.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I think I may try World again. It seemed like they hit a milestone with that one.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    World is really good, but it can get sloggy and grindy. Mostly by the end.

One thing I don’t miss from World was tenderizing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    How do I stay up in the air longer with IG?

Lots of ways.

The vault (Zr+B) gets you in the air. Then you can dodge with B to move. From there you can wire bug with Zl+X, dodge again, then wirebug with ZL+X.

From either the base vault, the air dodge, or the wirebug you can advancing slash (A). The advancing slash ends your aerial combo....unless it hits a monster. Then you vault back into the air and can Air dash or wirebug again, or advancing slash again.

At any time you can end the combo for a lot of damage with X to do a slash attack.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Just read that Crit Draw now has a duration after drawing. If true, that sure is a big change.

Also, while Rise has just 4 i-frames on evade by default (6 was the norm since MH1), I'm reading Evade Window might top out beyond MH4 Evasion +3.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Edit: Bah, double post.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Origami Blade. There is a origami crane switch axe. I made it, it's silly.

Also, Soaring Wyvern Blade is delightful, and it fills like half the amp gauge on impact and ends in sword mode. You can also cancel Zero Sum Discharge's knockback into it (in which case you immediately perform the diving slash), which lets you do another discharge immediately if you have enough meter. Need to try on actual monster but it seems like serious damage potential for burst.

Also, the village 6* urgent is deadly to lances - its attacks while enraged can be a death sentence since the default lance wirebinds don't have instant movement. Fortunately... Wyvernsnipe does ungodly damage to it, so rathian HBG proves an all star once again.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Getting slapped back by a Goss, wire falling out of it, going into a midair lance charge and hitting him directly in the face while he was charging for a knock back before hitting the fucking ground sure was something I wasn’t expecting this game to let me do.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Yeah, proper use of the wirebugs lets you be a goddamn ninja, there's a lot of stuff you can do midair off of them, but lance charges are a great one.

I'm really torn on which lance charge I prefer. The normal charge has high damage potential, but the shield charge has high stun and is super safe.

• Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Just read that Crit Draw now has a duration after drawing. If true, that sure is a big change.

Also, while Rise has just 4 i-frames on evade by default (6 was the norm since MH1), I'm reading Evade Window might top out beyond MH4 Evasion +3.

Whoa, that explains some things if that's true

• Options
    Is there like....a central place putting together all the numbers and stuff for Rise?

Like, Iframes, buff numbers, skills, mv values etc?

• Options
    I really need to learn how to wirefall, because I think they removed the invuln frames while laying on the ground. My first cart was Aknosom immediately after being knocked flying, waiting for my hunter to get up, getting speared to the floor by its beak.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I wanted to try something other than IG and decided to try out switch axe

and while it can absolutely melt dudes, I'm not sure if I'm loving the general combat loop, and the early wirebug skills feel a little lackluster

I really don't wanna default back to IG again just yet, but not sure what to try instead. if I felt more confident in my ability to read and counter enemy moves I'd go for longsword, but I'm so bad at that kind of thing

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out how the hunter connects work. They're max 10, I guess? I was hoping we could set one up for the entire PA group.

The alternative is we hunter connect to a few of us several times, and then use the mutual likes system to find each other?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

They definitely toned down some of the minutiae busy work stuff. Lots more focus on actually fighting stuff. The game feels so much more like a 3u with some extra flashy movement stuff than it does anything related to world.

Also goss harag is probably the most fair fight in the game. You're just two people trying to hack each other to pieces. His moves are so obvious that if you get hit it was definitely your fault. The fight is fun though because if he does hit you he hits like a train.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Also, if any of you are charge blade wizards, I'm switching over from glaive. Trying to figure out what my standard rotation attacks are. I've got the hang of charge shield -> charge sword -> SAED or charge shield -> AED as you wish, but I don't know when to be attacking in my axe vs not when not discharging, and I'm not sure what my best rotations are for just smacking a monster with no other plan.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Using the wirebug to recover is great because it lets you heal seamlessly but when using the lance it's sometimes better to just hit the ground without putting your weapon away so you can jump back to the monster easily using the silkbind tether.

I never use the other lance silkbind move, the one that lets you absorb a hit and increase your attack. It doesn't last very long and I'd rather use my wirebugs for the tether move.

In other news Somnocanth is so cool! Beautiful mermaid!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Also, if any of you are charge blade wizards, I'm switching over from glaive. Trying to figure out what my standard rotation attacks are. I've got the hang of charge shield -> charge sword -> SAED or charge shield -> AED as you wish, but I don't know when to be attacking in my axe vs not when not discharging, and I'm not sure what my best rotations are for just smacking a monster with no other plan.

I started with CB and just got frustrated with everything just lunging away or being too small to really hit with all the charges. I watched a magnamalo demo speedrun and they mostly just charged the shield and sword and used the counter silkbind and saed right out of it.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Continuing my journey of actually learning duals, which I have never used in over a decade of monster hunting.

It's not going great. Not getting carted yet, but I eat a bunch of damage I probably shouldn't. Heck, Barioth nearly downed me, and that's a 4* village quest, which would just have been kind of embarrassing to get carted to.

They're very fun, though. They just seem to activate the Get Greedy centers in my brain something fierce.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    dual blades is all about knowing when to not get greedy yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So in order to get a second blade dash in the air, the first one has to hit a target?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Taya wrote: »
    Using the wirebug to recover is great because it lets you heal seamlessly but when using the lance it's sometimes better to just hit the ground without putting your weapon away so you can jump back to the monster easily using the silkbind tether.

I never use the other lance silkbind move, the one that lets you absorb a hit and increase your attack. It doesn't last very long and I'd rather use my wirebugs for the tether move.

In other news Somnocanth is so cool! Beautiful mermaid!

If you hold ZR after wirefall it drops you straight into lance charge, which is insanely useful because it’s not at the angle you hit the ground, it’s the angle your camera faces.

I’m the direct opposite of you, I guess. I never stop with the counter silkbind. I find the other one kind of useless for my play style.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Anyone else find the Lucky Life crow that doubles your quest reward items?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Anyone else find the Lucky Life crow that doubles your quest reward items?

I've apparently seen it since it's on my endemic life list but I don't remember getting it. I did find the fortune owl twice and the bunny thing twice.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

I mean, so is GS, and yet I enjoy moderate success with the weapon :0

It looks like the duration on crit draw is pitifully short, like a second after the first hit, and can be extended up to 3s with consecutive hits. Useless for GS, seems like it has potential for LS and maybe DB. I got so excited for a second...

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Evade Distance is bananas in Rise. This might be the fastest I've ever felt in a Monster Hunter game and I'm playing Gunlance. And I only have two points so far! Evade Distance 3 is gonna make me backhop into the next time zone.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Not super enthused with the Khezu gear's look. I do find it amusing the Aknosom has dual blades that look like matchlocks... but it also has no bowgun.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Lucedes wrote: »

I mean, so is GS, and yet I enjoy moderate success with the weapon :0

It looks like the duration on crit draw is pitifully short, like a second after the first hit, and can be extended up to 3s with consecutive hits. Useless for GS, seems like it has potential for LS and maybe DB. I got so excited for a second...
    Ah, too bad! On the other hand, this change makes Crit Draw much more useful for weapons that aren't Greatsword.
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Evade Distance is bananas in Rise. This might be the fastest I've ever felt in a Monster Hunter game and I'm playing Gunlance. And I only have two points so far! Evade Distance 3 is gonna make me backhop into the next time zone.
    Evade Distance has a new feature where it speeds up the evade animation, so you not only go further, you cover it in the same or less time than the vanilla evade.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, beat Gathering Hub HR7's final boss, the
    Narwa

I guess the resolution is something of a setup for DLC? Because I'm out of directed quests to do, currently. Guess it's time to unlock more canteen recipes, or something. I'm assuming MR will be rank 8-10?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm certainly interested in trying out some crit draw builds on LS, now that I've had the Iai sheath thing as part of the move set from the start of the game I'm starting to get the hang of it, unlike with Iceborne where it was messing up my muscle memory from playing so much base World.

Also swapping to the first silkbind switch skill on LS has got things going much smoother, reliably hitting the weird kick to helmbreaker attack was kind of awkward, but the replacement is basically just the sakura slash art from Generations, much more reliable and plays more to the old school LS patterns which are more familiar to me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dac wrote: »
    Well, beat Gathering Hub HR7's final boss, the
    Narwa

I guess the resolution is something of a setup for DLC? Because I'm out of directed quests to do, currently. Guess it's time to unlock more canteen recipes, or something. I'm assuming MR will be rank 8-10?
    I just did this, too. What a bonkers fight. Like, the Rampage prior to it and that HR7 Urgent and the final HR7 thing are ALL weird in different ways.

Currently running the top Nargacuga LS/top Kamura hammer/top Nargacuga Bow with:
    Head - Zinogre S
    Torso - Zinogre S
    Arms - Anjanath S
    Waist - Anjanath S
    Legs - Remobra S

For 3 points of Weakness Exploit, 4 points in Attack Up, and misc other skills (Slugger comes in real handy when I switch to hammer). The Narga weapons + Weakness Exploit = Crits for DAYZ.

8i1dt37buh2m.png