Options

Knockout [Chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone having a beam fight at all in Legion

At the end of s1 they kind run at each other and explode at the end of a big climactic fight that the protagonist wins because he believes in himself or something? It's basically a beam fight

Uh

Doesn't
    Sid kiss David to do a body swap and get Farouk to transfer and then Farouk basically body hops around between each person until ending up in the flight of the concords guy?

I don't remember what you're describing at all but maybe all of these things happen

It’s this (Spoilers legion season 1 obv)

https://youtu.be/8Zqsw3TUqyM

It’s uh, not a beam fight?

This is totally a beam fight

They're not using projectiles, but it's exactly the same trope, and it's super goofy and jarring in a show like this

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    wife and i started watching Invincible last night

boy howdy that one took a sharp turn in the first episode

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

At the end of s1 they kind run at each other and explode at the end of a big climactic fight that the protagonist wins because he believes in himself or something? It's basically a beam fight

Uh

Doesn't
    Sid kiss David to do a body swap and get Farouk to transfer and then Farouk basically body hops around between each person until ending up in the flight of the concords guy?

I don't remember what you're describing at all but maybe all of these things happen

They're not using projectiles, but it's exactly the same trope, and it's super goofy and jarring in a show like this

Its not a beam fight though.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Are the swords the x-men get cool looking

Maybe?

image003__1_.0.jpg

I guess it depends on who you are.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy how much the big climactic battle in Endgame was 100% an arbitrary plot contrivance

Everything in entertainment is an arbitrary plot contrivance.

Yeah but this was more arbitrary than most

It was a big punchup at the end of a comic book movie.

Arbitrary is directly the opposite of what it was.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

Yeah that was a level of surprising violence that stayed with me a while

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

Reasonably. The story ended up having very few sword fights and mostly the trials were arbitrary things the person running the contest chose to rig the outcome, and the swords were more of an entry ticket.

One of the contests was a spelling contest.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like superhero movies a lot, because I really like seeing medium-level strong guys knock other guys into and through walls

All I want is thin excuses for that and for good actors to be charming at each other

I'd watch a whole movie of the avengers having a party

The Anniversary Party, specifically.

Bruce, Clint, and Natasha in a cuddlepile.

Shuri and Tony, their eyes a little too wide, talking a little too fast, having a little too energetic of a discussion about technology

Thor on his seventh bump, wiping his nose and yelling "more!"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Maybe?

image003__1_.0.jpg

bfmtexsn3f4u.png

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Yeah that was a level of surprising violence that stayed with me a while

Its cleverly done on the whole

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Perhaps I picked a bad time to start watching Legion.

• Options
    It's the protagonist and villain confronting each other with their powers, clashing directly, and the protagonist winning because he has the more powerful powers / the "stronger will" / true love / etc

This reads exactly the same to me as the end of Rise of Skywalker or the climax in Captain Marvel or whenever Ryu hadokens someone else's hadoken

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Avengers must hold the best party ever or Galactus will destroy Earth

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I like superhero movies a lot, because I really like seeing medium-level strong guys knock other guys into and through walls

All I want is thin excuses for that and for good actors to be charming at each other

I'd watch a whole movie of the avengers having a party

The Anniversary Party, specifically.

Bruce, Clint, and Natasha in a cuddlepile.

Shuri and Tony, their eyes a little too wide, talking a little too fast, having a little too energetic of a discussion about technology

Thor on his seventh bump, wiping his nose and yelling "more!"

*throws mirror on ground, it smashing into a million pieces*

I'LL HAVE ANOTHER

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I never finished the House of X stuff but I liked what I read. I am still a bit cranking at Secret War killing off Wolverine and the X-Men and New X-Men which were having some excellent runs. But that was years ago and I should let it go.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I’m sad all over again now about Iron Man.

• Options

Uh

Doesn't

A beam fight would be them hitting each other and then grunting and yelling for a while and then one triumphs, ie a dumb and stupid trope that is never interesting
    This is a superior force banishing a hostile intruder, he’s just immediately stronger. The end. Shadow king is a weakened parasite. He later gets his groove back and so can force a fight like that.

• Options
    What I’m trying to say is you’re wrong and your opinions are bad, EM

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ant-Man and the Wasp has that awesome car chase fight with stuff shrinking and enlarging

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Maybe?

image003__1_.0.jpg

I were 12 I would lose my shit

As the X-men ought to be

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/cobra-kai-creators-tackling-ancient-aliens-movie-for-legendary
    Exec-turned-scribe Luke Ryan is writing the script to adapt the long-running History Channel series.

The long-running History Channel series Ancient Aliens is getting the feature film treatment.

Legendary, which controls the movie rights to the series, has closed a deal for Counterbalance Entertainment, the creators and showrunners of Cobra Kai, to direct and produce the feature project.
    Ancient Aliens is a pseudo-documentary series that has been airing since 2009 and dealt with pseudo-science and the idea that extra-terrestrial beings visited Earth in ancient times, sometimes provoking cultures into thinking they were gods.

Details of the project are being kept under wraps, but according to Legendary, the story “will be a two-handed, globe-spanning adventure featuring ancient sites and artifacts, confronting the theories and questions raised by the popular docuseries.”
    So a bunch of white guys are going to write a film about how non-white people couldn't have done what they did?

I hope it never gets made

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ant-Man and the Wasp has that awesome car chase fight with stuff shrinking and enlarging

There were moments of brilliant choreography in the closing fight of endgame.

On the whole, a weaker showing than winter soldier, sure... but what cap did with hammer and shield was just *chef kiss*

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I never finished the House of X stuff but I liked what I read. I am still a bit cranking at Secret War killing off Wolverine and the X-Men and New X-Men which were having some excellent runs. But that was years ago and I should let it go.

Never let go of a comics grudge

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Civil War is obviously designed to pit heroes against each other no matter what, but also debating the merits of the accords is kinda missing the point.

Captain America had previously been a good soldier who followed orders and worked for the powers that be, and that ended up helping out the baddies, and just generally resulting in stuff that Cap wasn't morally OK with. He's opposed to the accords because he's previously erred too far on the side of following authority.

Iron Man had previously been all like, "Fuck you it's my property and you can't tell me what I do with it." and now he's feeling guilt over the lives lost because of his suit. He doesn't trust himself and feels like he needs to be put under tighter controls.

The actual nitty gritty details of the accords don't matter, which is why the movie mostly just blows right past providing any details. it's about these two characters and their internal motivations colliding with each other. Each feels the need to atone for their previous errors by reversing how they've acted in the past. That brings them into conflict with each other. The story doesn't care about "who's right," the story doesn't care about the merits of the accords overall, it's about the characters emotions and attempts to fix what they see as previous mistakes.

Debating over "who's right" kinda just seems like missing the forest for the trees.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

Uh

Doesn't

A beam fight would be them hitting each other and then grunting and yelling for a while and then one triumphs, ie a dumb and stupid trope that is never interesting
    This is a superior force banishing a hostile intruder, he’s just immediately stronger. The end. Shadow king is a weakened parasite. He later gets his groove back and so can force a fight like that.

The protagonist just flatly winning because he's stronger is the trope of a beam fight. It's not as drawn out, but the dramatic (and very goofy) slowmo charge as their powers build up around them serves the exact same function. That's pretty boring, and it's boring here, I think.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    What’s the general chat opinion on how unsexy Marvel films and are, and if they need to more erotic(italicized)?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Prof x’s stupid helmet is awesome imo

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I didn't enjoy how much the big climactic battle in Endgame was 100% an arbitrary plot contrivance

Everything in entertainment is an arbitrary plot contrivance.

Yeah but this was more arbitrary than most

It was a big punchup at the end of a comic book movie.

Arbitrary is directly the opposite of what it was.

It was total happenstance that Thanos would end up showing up at the end, he was mostly there because of bad luck, and what he wanted to do and why didn't really make any sense he was just angry that guys from a different timeline did time travel about the plan he otherwise had? And his new plan makes how dumb his original plan is even way more obvious!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    If Tony Stark's iron man suit had durability would he still be wrong about the events of Civil War the movie though?

I'm on Captain America's side in that movie but holy shit is his argument so bad. It's like the screenwriters phoned in that whole philosophical discussion with the laziest dialogue possible because they were impatient to get back to banging action figures against each other.

I'm vaguely on iron man's side on it - that these super powerful vigilantes should have some sort of legal framework or oversight to operate within - but he's such an unsympathetic shit of a character and the actual sovokia accord proposition is so cartoonishly bad that you're kind of shunted into siding against him.

i mean i know it's by design but come on marvel. is there some reason why you have to make your movies dumb and boring?

That's exactly it, yeah. There was ample room for Captain America to make the argument that the Avengers had no say in the law's creation, that it's entirely one-sided, something something democracy the people get a say in the laws that govern them somethingmumble consent of the governed.

Instead, Cap's entire argument is basically 'laws suck!'

Of course that only holds so long as you only ever think about the Avengers viewpoint, and not the viewpoint of the people living in the places they go blow stuff up in. The accords is those people saying "nobody gets to decide to go avenging in our country unless the UN approves" - which is nominally their right to do so, choosing the laws that govern them (and everybody else in their country)

Cap's position is literally "we should decide where and when we go and damn what the people who live there think about it"

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It's the protagonist and villain confronting each other with their powers, clashing directly, and the protagonist winning because he has the more powerful powers / the "stronger will" / true love / etc

This reads exactly the same to me as the end of Rise of Skywalker or the climax in Captain Marvel or whenever Ryu hadokens someone else's hadoken

The protagonist isn't winning.
    Farouk leaves and goes into that guy at the end of the hallway. He's trying to escape because he's been found out and he succeeds in doing so, which sets up season 2 quite nicely.
    It's more actiony than cerebral but that's, I think, kind of the point in that it is a misdirect. David thinks he's winning and is now in control, but he's not.

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    What’s the general chat opinion on how unsexy Marvel films and are, and if they need to more erotic(italicized)?

America is terrified of sexuality more than it craves it

• Options

Uh

Doesn't

The protagonist just flatly winning because he's stronger is the trope of a beam fight. It's not as drawn out, but the dramatic (and very goofy) slowmo charge as their powers build up around them serves the exact same function. That's pretty boring, and it's boring here, I think.

He doesnt win though. He thinks he wins because he's all strength that he doesnt understand. Its a running theme for David. You're stretching beam fight past usefulness.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

This isn't like the end of Rise of Skywalker because it didn't give me the confusion of one lone guy yelling "WHOO!!!" and applauding after the credits while everyone else was like "what the fuck is going on in that poor man's head?"

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

zwynel51x3e11.jpg

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Sony had the XMen license for a long time and did not have nearly the sort of discipline that marvel studios had.

the first xmen movie was groundbreaking and the second one i remember as also being pretty good. of course they also put out some really bad movies.

but Logan is among the best the genre has to offer, and I liked a whole lot about XMen First Class

some of the failures - like the unfortunate New Mutants - were at least kind of interesting in what they seemed like they were trying to do

some of the failures - like xmen 3 - were just regular failures.

i guess what i'm saying is that i'd rather have ambitious failures and occasional interesting successes than reliably pretty-good-but-samey genre staples

of course the people spending and collecting the money want exactly the opposite thing!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

EM it's thematically appropriate, Legion won because he had achieved the power of Super Saiyan 2

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

This isn't like the end of Rise of Skywalker because it didn't give me the confusion of one lone guy yelling "WHOO!!!" and applauding after the credits while everyone else was like "what the fuck is going on in that poor man's head?"
    Oh man. That plants quite an image in my head.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

They’re astonishingly chaste, I think. You can probably count the number of passionate kisses on one hand.

• Options
    I would watch a movie or show about Thanos and how he's just kind of a big crazy idiot who's really, really, really strong and confident, and how that 100% plausibly led to a position of intergalactic leadership and power even though his policies are very bad

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Babyshoujo-1145429588220108800-20190630_163109-img1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.