Options

We Bid A Fond Farewell To The "Rush Limbaugh Died" Thread, Not Him

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I know it’s likely personal bias, but it really seems that essentially all the previous generations didn’t give even half a shit about human life.

My parents are Boomers and everything I've ever heard from them, their siblings, and their parents paints a very specific picture titled: "Throw the kids outside, feed the ones that come back." The prevailing attitudes in the neighborhoods my parents grew up in was that any group of kids larger than three could look after themselves. And if they couldn't? Well you probably had three or more spares

Of course, this was the same generation that was told "never go around Uncle Bobby's house alone" and that was the extent their parents would warn them about the known (and unreported) pedophile in the family

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    We had a Subaru Brat. Hated being in that rear facing backseat in the rain with maybe a garbage bag "raincoat", people in the cars behind us making way too much eye contact.

Ah, the tax avoidance murder seats that in later models came with labels saying "Do Not Use These Seats As Seats".

We had one of those in....it wasn't a Subaru, but something, in the late 80s/early 90s. We called it the "way back seat". I loved waving at the cars behind us.

But yeah, what a fucking terrible idea.

That's funny. We had a "way-back" seat in my family's late-80s-era Chevrolet station wagon. It's where the cool kids got to sit when the car was full. It was great for making me super car-sick.

On the topic of jungle gyms, I cannot find a picture of it but my elementary school used to have a huge, octagonal, steel jungle gym that had to stand at least 10-12 feet off the ground, and had 4 fire-polls that ran down the middle once you were at the top.

We used it to play a game called "spider" where one player who was "it" would crawl around the inside of the dome and try to tag the rest of us out before we got to the top and slid down. There were all kinds of rule variations that I barely remember, including capturing players or freezing them so they had to get tagged in by another who just slid down the pole. Stuff like that. It was fun, but I'm sure my classmates fell off that deathtrap every day.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »
    When I was single digits, I used to ride in the back of my Dad's pickup truck while he whipped around corners and pumped the brakes at random intervals trying to knock me down. The 80s were different

We would tandem some GT snoracers with rope to the back of the youth van and go flying down snowy roads , I still dunno how we are alive.

Jesus Christ, GTs are dangerous enough on their own, how did you not Final Destination this

I feel I can fully explain our level of stupid invincibility by mentioning there would be fights to be in the final GT of the ropes, because that is the one that would get flung the hardest on a corner.

Like getting flung over a ditch was a goal lol

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    When I was growin up you had to get somewhere fast youd climb up into an old truck tire and get somebody to push it down the hill

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    never clear if hobnail is posting in the grandpa simpson thread or not

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I read about how the increase in all these safety factors is making kids too risk averse now as a side effect. like there are no more monkey bars on a lot of playgrounds because kids might fall and hurt themselves.

when I was a kid there was a bunch of them on the playground including one really difficult one that had a V shape incline/decline on it. it was the pinnacle of kid aspirations

My school playground had these two like tower things with big tires bolted on both sides so you could climb up. We fell off those onto the lovely playground gravel all the time. Then one got struck by lightning, totally burned to ash. The other stood until enough patents complained.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

It's impossible to know, since he's always got that onion on his belt.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It's impossible to know, since he's always got that onion on his belt.

I bet Rush would know about the old time ways and could tell us if it were the style at the time.

If, of course, he weren't dead already.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I definitely think that people are more averse to physical risk than they used to be

They probably die/get injured a lot less too

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I suspect increase cultural caution and safety mindedness is less from Americans getting a clue and more fear the actual christian devil is out to get them through every community facet.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Reading about things like children getting into major brawls definitely makes me think modern American parents care a bit more about their kids not getting seriously injured

http://www.tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/
    GROTH: Did you yourself get in a lot of fights when you were a kid?

KIRBY: Yes. They were unavoidable.

ROZ KIRBY: And your brother got into a lot of fights.

KIRBY: Yes. As I said. my brother was a big kid.

GROTH: A tough kid?

KIRBY: He was as tough as anybody else, but he was young. He was five years younger than myself. My mother wanted my brother to wear nice clothes and be a big style kid. Well, can you imagine a big style kid with a lace collar and velvet pants and long, curly hair — blonde hair that came down to his shoulders? I’d get into fights because of my brother, and I got into fights because of his velvet pants and his lace collar, and my brother being a younger boy did the best he could, but I had to whale into these guys. I had to really whale into ’em, and I did. And it was a common, everyday occurrence. Fighting became second nature. I began to like it. And I love wrestling. When I went into the Army. I took judo. Out of a class of 27, just me and another fellow graduated. There was nothing wrong with me. I loved it.

GROTH: Now these fights in your neighborhood — these were serious, knock-down, drag-out fights.

KIRBY: Oh yes, they were. Not only that, but they were climb-out fights. There was a monument store. There was a store that built funeral monuments, and we used to run over those monuments. We used to hop from monument to monument chasing each other. For all I know, the may still be on Suffolk Street.

GROTH: Now, what do you mean by a “climb-out fight”?

KIRBY: A climb-out fight is where you climb a building. You climb fire escapes. You climb to the top of the building. You fight on the roof, and you fight all the way down again. You fight down the wooden stairs, see? And, of course, I didn’t win all of them. You fought fair. If the other guy wants to fight and you knocked him out, you did your best for him. You didn’t want to hurt him any more. There was one time they knocked me out and laid me in front of my mother’s door. And in order for my mother not to be shocked they readjusted my clothes and they saw that nothing was rumpled and I looked very comfortable next to the apartment door, so when my mother would open the door it wouldn’t be that much of a shock.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I suspect increase cultural caution and safety mindedness is less from Americans getting a clue and more fear the actual christian devil is out to get them through every community facet.

I promise you that the mindset you're describing has never, one single time, led to the implementation of any safety system or feature that has actually improved safety or well-being

In fact in many cases it's happened despite those people's strenuous objections!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Maybe, I am not American so I would not know

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I don't think my parents ever considered litigation for the times I fucked myself up when I was a kid

they absolutely should have sued you

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Reading about things like children getting into major brawls definitely makes me think modern American parents care a bit more about their kids not getting seriously injured

http://www.tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/
    GROTH: Did you yourself get in a lot of fights when you were a kid?

KIRBY: Yes. They were unavoidable.

ROZ KIRBY: And your brother got into a lot of fights.

KIRBY: Yes. As I said. my brother was a big kid.

GROTH: A tough kid?

KIRBY: He was as tough as anybody else, but he was young. He was five years younger than myself. My mother wanted my brother to wear nice clothes and be a big style kid. Well, can you imagine a big style kid with a lace collar and velvet pants and long, curly hair — blonde hair that came down to his shoulders? I’d get into fights because of my brother, and I got into fights because of his velvet pants and his lace collar, and my brother being a younger boy did the best he could, but I had to whale into these guys. I had to really whale into ’em, and I did. And it was a common, everyday occurrence. Fighting became second nature. I began to like it. And I love wrestling. When I went into the Army. I took judo. Out of a class of 27, just me and another fellow graduated. There was nothing wrong with me. I loved it.

GROTH: Now these fights in your neighborhood — these were serious, knock-down, drag-out fights.

KIRBY: Oh yes, they were. Not only that, but they were climb-out fights. There was a monument store. There was a store that built funeral monuments, and we used to run over those monuments. We used to hop from monument to monument chasing each other. For all I know, the may still be on Suffolk Street.

GROTH: Now, what do you mean by a “climb-out fight”?

KIRBY: A climb-out fight is where you climb a building. You climb fire escapes. You climb to the top of the building. You fight on the roof, and you fight all the way down again. You fight down the wooden stairs, see? And, of course, I didn’t win all of them. You fought fair. If the other guy wants to fight and you knocked him out, you did your best for him. You didn’t want to hurt him any more. There was one time they knocked me out and laid me in front of my mother’s door. And in order for my mother not to be shocked they readjusted my clothes and they saw that nothing was rumpled and I looked very comfortable next to the apartment door, so when my mother would open the door it wouldn’t be that much of a shock.

Kirby was legit.

the kids in my development kinda divided into two groups. One loosely organized around an actual legitimate psychopath, and one around the dirt poor always building go-karts kid.

we had a lot of fights. most of the time it was just punch and throw, not going for damage so much as bragging rights.
    but man, Steve, that's the psychopath, if he got you in his sights all of a sudden it was a fight to the pain.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What if rush limbaugh's grave marker was some kind of kids play equipment

That's disgusting. It's covered in piss.

Near where I grew up there's a public park nicknamed "Penguin Park", due to its most visible item a 2.5 storie fiberglass penguin with a fiberglass slide coming out of his neck. The head of the penguin was where you entered the slide and it had a couple of large holes in the floor, I'm guessing for reducing weight as it wasn't really anchored to anything. Those holes were community toilets as the pee/poop would just fall into the base of the structure, no muss, no fuss.

Come summertime though, you could smell it from a quarter mile away. It eventually got condemned as a public health risk, not from the waste, but because transients would go up in the head to get drunk or shoot up, so there were always liquor bottles and used syringes all over.

Still have fond memories of that park. My freshman year of college I had my first outdoor copulation there, with the gal that'd be my fiance in a year. We christened an elephant on some spring shocks that rocked back and forth like one of those $0.25 carousel horses outside a store.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm 37, for some context

When I was second grade, which means I would be about seven years old, my elementary school had this huge wooden structure with monkey bars, slides,, fire poles, a lookout tower with a fake telescope, etc

Someone shoved me off the middle of it and I broke my arm when I landed on the wooden mulch

I would hazard a guess that a lot of the playground equipment from that era is disappearing because it was expensive and dangerous

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Do playgrounds still have those maypoles with metal chains?

There was one on my childhood playground.

Rusty as heck.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A lot of playground equipment from twenty or thirty years ago is disappearing because that shit's old

Yes, there are safety concerns and similar that might accelerate certain processes, but even the best made structure is going to get worn the fuck out by hundreds of children clambering over it every day

And when it gets replaced, it will get replaced by what's available, which might involve different materials or designs or whatever else - you can watch the trends rise and fall with playground equipment as you can with any other design school or industry

• Options
    I remember in all of the schools I attended how many playground devices I had no idea what I was supposed to actually do on.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Rusty as heck.

chico confirmed alumnus of silent hill elementary

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    A lot of playground equipment from twenty or thirty years ago is disappearing because that shit's old

Yes, there are safety concerns and similar that might accelerate certain processes, but even the best made structure is going to get worn the fuck out by hundreds of children clambering over it every day

And when it gets replaced, it will get replaced by what's available, which might involve different materials or designs or whatever else - you can watch the trends rise and fall with playground equipment as you can with any other design school or industry

Honestly, the new playgrounds are pretty cool

In my city they've been theming a lot of them and the structures are all actually fairly different; the one near me is dinosaur themed including a big fossilized t-rex, and the other one in walking distance has a sort of space theme with phases of the moon on the sidewalk and an atomic looking climbing dome with bars and nets interwoven in it, and some splashpad stuff on the outskirts

I drive by one on the way to get groceries that features Chinese-style dragons and has multiple languages on all of the signage, which is especially nice to see in the 'burbs

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I love checking out playground designs and stuff like that, there is some wild stuff being made these days

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The big huge playground nearby in Germany that we called "the fort" had way larger cargo net structures that any kid had a right to be clambering around in.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Replace all playground equipment with shoggoths.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The big huge playground nearby in Germany that we called "the fort" had way larger cargo net structures that any kid had a right to be clambering around in.

I think those are still used today..
    eigy7ax5l72o.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Rusty as heck.

No, no, the small spooky town with the "cult" was about 13 minutes to the southwest of my even smaller spooky town.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Playgrounds today are fine and cool and offer plenty of opportunities still to maim children

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I feel like I grew up in a time where we were all actively trying to die

5QkXSBu.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Rusty as heck.

No, no, the small spooky town with the "cult" was about 13 minutes to the southwest of my even smaller spooky town.

heavens

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Scenario number 1: He's hanging by his neck in his fucking closet.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    When I was a kid one of the leisure activities was jumping off a hill.

Though we did stop when one kid broke his arm.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    when I was real little, like, 5 maybe, I locked myself in a closet for 4 hours

I came to the conclusion that this was where I was gonna live now and made a nest out of clothes

the thing is, my parents were home, and they didn't even think "man, haven't seen my 5 year old in a while."

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    My dad and his friends had a game I think I've written about on here before called Robin Hood

His friend had a bow and arrow and they'd shoot an arrow up into the air and then try not to get hit by it on the way down

The game was no longer played after the owner of the bow got an arrow to the foot and her parents were not fans

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Rusty as heck.

Ah yes, the Child Launcher

• Options
    that's what we called that spinny disc thing with the handles

we'd have a few people propelling it and the rest held on until they were inevitably tossed off into the wood chips.

doing that got me a wood chip in the eye and my dad wanted to rinse any splinters out but instead of like, water, he used cat medicine drops

I had to wear an eyepatch for a while and that eye has been weaker, vision-wise, since then.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I am amazed I never killed or maimed another kid in a fight. If I felt wronged I went straight for eyes, throat, and genitals.

These days, I just take joy that all of these things are rotting off the corpse of Rush Limbaugh.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

eigy7ax5l72o.jpg

Yea these have been going up around here for the past few years. they look AWESOME. I would have loved to play on these as a kid.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I got into fights for the sheer fuck of it (boredom, attention seeking, acting out from shitty home life) until about fourth grade, when a larger, tougher kid came within a couple inches of smashing in my head in with a rock bigger than his fist, and I suddenly came to the conclusion that oh wait, this is serious business

Less that I'd be hospitalized or possibly killed, more that I knew if I went to the doctor with a massive head injury it would cost my parents major money, and I would be in big trouble

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

eigy7ax5l72o.jpg

We’ve got one of these at the local playground here. I climbed up a few years ago, out of a desire to reclaim a childhood fun on a structure cooler than anything I had access to growing up. When at the top I wondered:
    - how the heck is a kid going to get down safely once they climb up here?
    - How the heck am I going to get down?

This discussion has been closed.