Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Does he have options on the warscroll? If not, it doesn't really matter, I'd say.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Does he have options on the warscroll? If not, it doesn't really matter, I'd say.

It doesn't, just says 1 model in this unit can be a clawleader and it gets 1 to it's attack characteristic.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Then go nuts with his equipment. He's probably just easier to distinguish if he's got a different weapon than he rest of the unit.

honovere on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The rumors of the new battalions were true
    zuhmd706dxzy.png
    5lajdskg8iil.png
    2gybvpayk6wd.png
    fldod701ryh4.png

As the Slaanesh one is one I will get [with the blood sworn hunt for the idoneth} I will have to ask about the Sylvaneth one since I know my brother doesn't have anything in that box and he is super salty about his elves of old

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    new real Mines of Moria lookin' greenskins.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    They do look pretty neat, I like the Hobgob look... still holding out that faint, faint hope for new Fimir allies later on >.>

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So they're basically a combination of very retro Warhammer orcs and lotr orcs. Very serious and not on the fun side of greenskins.

My favourite model might be the preator drawing her sword.

Not the biggest fan of the stormcasts in tactical dreadnought armour but the rest looks pretty good.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The lore of the Hobgrots very strongly implies Chaos Dwarfs, so possibly later when/if the Chaos Dwarfs get added Hobgrots will do double duty as troops for them as well.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    kl8gg8wowf2f.png

nth3fj2bed3b.png

• Options
    The hobgrots armour and clothes (ropes) remind me of something East Asian? Can't quite remember what in particular, maybe Korean or Japanese artwork?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    kl8gg8wowf2f.png

nth3fj2bed3b.png

Wait, then who’s the Vicar?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Why has nobody mentioned all the incredible stuff?!!?

Monsters getting new actions, like stomps, roars and such forth? Possibly they will be able to charge right over screens is the implication to me, which is *massive*. Like "Changes Age of Sigmar fundamentally" massive. Predatory Endless spells will now move in both hero phases, which means if you go second will you get two chances to move a purple sun or use a blood viper, as examples. There are command reactions in *every* phase, so I wonder if counter charging is in the game?!?!? Going second also gives you more command points.

I'm just beyond excited. All of these sound like great changes that will mix up the game and hopefully improve the meta substantially.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The hobgrots armour and clothes (ropes) remind me of something East Asian? Can't quite remember what in particular, maybe Korean or Japanese artwork?

They reference vaguely the chaos dwarfs, who were extremely Babylonian, so maybe that?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Chaos Dwarves were always one of the Warhammer Fantasy races that I thought was pretty pointless and added nothing substantially interesting to the game. Then again, with the way Age of Sigmar Gonzos everything and differentiates races (Fyreslayers vs. Khadron Overlords comes to mind), they could have a lot of room for very cool interpretations.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

They reference vaguely the chaos dwarfs, who were extremely Babylonian, so maybe that?

Also Hobgoblins in Fantasy were eastern steppe themed

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Why has nobody mentioned all the incredible stuff?!!?

Monsters getting new actions, like stomps, roars and such forth? Possibly they will be able to charge right over screens is the implication to me, which is *massive*. Like "Changes Age of Sigmar fundamentally" massive. Predatory Endless spells will now move in both hero phases, which means if you go second will you get two chances to move a purple sun or use a blood viper, as examples. There are command reactions in *every* phase, so I wonder if counter charging is in the game?!?!? Going second also gives you more command points.

I'm just beyond excited. All of these sound like great changes that will mix up the game and hopefully improve the meta substantially.

The monster thing sounds like good news for my beastclaws.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It sounds like good news for a lot of monsters. They currently have a "Do a lot or absolutely jack shit" problem right now. It's one of the reasons I don't really like running my turtle, even though it's pretty good. The damage is front loaded into 1-2 attacks and when they miss that's pretty much that monster dealing no damage that turn. So if they get something that can compensate or make them better that would be fabulous. Might be why Alarielle is around 740 points now, because she can heal a lot and if they make monsters better....

Edit: Like a stomp or roar ability that makes an enemy unit they charged fight last in the phase could be *huge*.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Also Hobgoblins in Fantasy were eastern steppe themed

Ropes that hold the pieces of armour together and is also used decoratively seems to show up on a bunch of samurai armour a Google image search tells me, quite a few examples in that red tone, too. The helmets also look a bit like very angular kabutos.

There seem to be some pictures flying around that arena in that unboxing article? A stormcast archer, a gryphhound chariot, a big orruk ballista and a troll rider.

Looks all pretty neat, but about surprised that even stuff like the troll and the grots look so different from the established orruks and gitz

honovere on
  • Options
    Maybe the Chaos Dwarfs will have a sort of Japanese Oni theme

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Do the Kruleboyz seem strangely torso-y to anyone else? Particularly the Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof - I don't know if it's just a bad angle, but my brain can't parse what's going on with his thigh.

xmgxozHhkAQDPtga.jpg

• Options
    They've got short legs and the skirt the rider is wearing makes his legs look even shorter, I think.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yeah from that angle it looks like he basically has no stomach and his legs start just below his ribs..

• Options
    Yeah they appear to be quite horrifying. They are all torso and upper body, with a squat almost malformed bottom half. I quite like it because they look rather monstrous.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm not feeling them much for the same reason! But I'm glad people like them, I'm seeing a lot of love for the sculpts on twitter. I would've preferred something more gangly I think.

I'm eager to see what the new rules have to offer, I've basically missed the last year of 2.0, but from observation it was getting a little stale, sounds like there's some big shake ups coming.

• Options
    If they fix shooting and make monstrous units more useful, which it seems they've done at least one of, I'm pretty happy.

One of the reasons I like these orcs a lot is they remind me of the old style fantasy ones, which were top heavy models with kind of weird bottoms/legs. It's a bit of a nostalgia thing, but I also just love the detail and look of them. Painting the dude on the wolf thing from that boxed set is something I am already looking forward to. I have something gross in mind already.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They look inspired by the Uruk hai so I’m in

• Options
    I really love the shields - very Evil Sun.

I think the Shaman, Gutrippas, and Boltboyz look good, but the other stuff... The Hobgrots have such an awkward stubbiness. And there's a lot of dull, muddled colours on there that leave the shields as the only thing that pops.

I'm curious what a different paint scheme would bring to them. (Like... I assume they'll get an Underworlds warband, so I'm curious how they'd look with a darker green skin and fleshier leathers. Maybe a purple for the shields...)

• Options
    Are the 40k apocalypse movement trays worth getting for my Skaven or are there better options?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    My very first thought was they look like a caricature artist drew Mordor orcs and the shaman guy is just straight up Gul'dan from Warcraft.

I love everything about them.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are the 40k apocalypse movement trays worth getting for my Skaven or are there better options?

They're fine for that purpose but also there's people selling customizable 3d printed movement trays on etsy for like 2 bucks a pop.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Neat but I am sticking with my DoK and Idoneth as well as the pulling double duty Slaanesh and Khrone Armies
    Again I feel jealousy about what the Stormcast get compared to the DoK and they just had a new book {I still need to get}. Still I am very curious what Malerion/Malekith or whatever he calls himself elves are

• Options
    DoK will always have Morathi, but if the point increases for monsters are true because of new 3rd edition stuff, she might be in line to get a price hike soon.

Personally I was content just having Deepkin, Lumineth and DoK myself. Somehow I've ended up with Soulblight and I think these new orcs as well.

The question is, what will I have actually painted? Especially considering I need more eels and sharks too...

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

They're fine for that purpose but also there's people selling customizable 3d printed movement trays on etsy for like 2 bucks a pop.

I'm down for cheaper and customizable.

Started to build a plague furnace and I haven't even finished building just the first part and I'm already feeling frustrated thinking about painting it.

I think the next ones I'm gonna prime on sprue.

• Options
    Do the Kruleboyz seem strangely torso-y to anyone else? Particularly the Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof - I don't know if it's just a bad angle, but my brain can't parse what's going on with his thigh.

xmgxozHhkAQDPtga.jpg

Does this help?
    hom5t83ejhi0.jpeg
    I’m pretty sure that “armour” is very, ah, hopeful, in terms of being a true representation of the organism within. Kind a like a snail shell but uglier.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I need to figure out how to replicate that nasty rusty looking armour.

Edit: Apparently Chaos Dwarves are still a thing in AoS according to the stream. They’ve also reduced mat sizes to 40k standards, which I don’t mind.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I need to figure out how to replicate that nasty rusty looking armour.

Edit: Apparently Chaos Dwarves are still a thing in AoS according to the stream. They’ve also reduced mat sizes to 40k standards, which I don’t mind.

The GW method usually uses loads of washes and other random things like using typhus corrosion, drybrushing, sponging etc.

Just grab a bottle of streaking grime, some white spirits and some cotton buds/qtips, mess up the model with the grime and wipe off as much as you feel necessary to get the look you want. Dead easy product to use.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Me: ”I won’t buy any more of GWs box sets, they just sit in a pile for years.”

Also me: ”Shit.”

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Does this help?
    hom5t83ejhi0.jpeg
    I’m pretty sure that “armour” is very, ah, hopeful, in terms of being a true representation of the organism within. Kind a like a snail shell but uglier.

It does actually, but now I'm weirded out by the armour plate - it seems to be twisting with him (ie. the bottom part, near where you've pointed out that his hips are, is facing forward, while the top part by his chest is turned to his right). So now I'm imagining that he's not purposefully putting his shield forward and spear back, but is instead just stuck like that.

//

I guess the main reason they actually look so different is their necks being more humanly positioned. Past orcs have the same stubbiness, but their heads jutting straight out in front stops them from looking like they have baby legs.

01-01.jpg

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Is there anywhere where the previewed rulebook changes are summarized?

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Does this help?
    hom5t83ejhi0.jpeg

It does actually, but now I'm weirded out by the armour plate - it seems to be twisting with him (ie. the bottom part, near where you've pointed out that his hips are, is facing forward, while the top part by his chest is turned to his right). So now I'm imagining that he's not purposefully putting his shield forward and spear back, but is instead just stuck like that.

//

I guess the main reason they actually look so different is their necks being more humanly positioned. Past orcs have the same stubbiness, but their heads jutting straight out in front stops them from looking like they have baby legs.

01-01.jpg

Looking back at the original image, it looks like the armour also has a weird fold/lip at the bottom, with an even weirder tongue thing sticking out. Also it’s distinctly bowl-shaped rather than flat. It’s almost like it’s a section cut out of an enormous cauldron or pot or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.