Options

All [birds], all the time!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I always love watching birds biting at people way bigger than them. Like obviously depending on the bird and how it gets you it can be pretty bad (i got bitten by a parrot once and tore a strip of skin off my finger) .
    But stuff like that albatross basically just gumming that guys arm or the video of the pelican trying to eat the capybara while it studiously ignores it make me giggle.

Spoiled for big
    ldojprzeyb1l.jpg

Was just trying to get this chickadee out of a net during bird banding.

Dang, reckt

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Cobra chicken!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The color scheme reminds me of the Gadsden flag.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'd give that chick a D for being rude.

Shit, new page!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think a second dove took over the nest in my back yard because I think up to 4 pairs of dove's this summer. That or I have one extremely fertile dove.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mourning doves can have up to six broods a year so it might just be a regular fertile dove.

• Options
    I saw a spotted sandpiper today.

I was wading down the nearby river and on a sandbar saw the tiniest little sandpiper pitter-pattering along, pecking at this and that at the edge of the water, and bobbing its little tail compulsively. Couldn't ID it at first, just noted it was definitely sandpiper shaped, white belly, light brown on top (no spots, but immature ones don't have spots), and so little, smaller than a robin. Tiny + inland along a river + tail bob = spotted sandpiper.

Sorry about no pictures. I had on me a swimsuit, a T-shirt, and glasses. It was stupid hot and I needed a cooldown after work, and then I saw birb!

• Options
    On Tuesday I was driving to class and stopped at a red light, as one does. While stopped, I saw a little desert gopher saunter into the street and start looking around. Suddenly it fuckin' darts back to where it came from, and a hawk of some sort swoops down and kind of glides over where the gopher was and landed on the little metal handrail over the culvert walkway. I almost saw something really cool, but instead I got to see something kinda cool.

• Options
    Oh right, I could just post a video by someone else. Here's a spotted sandpiper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixf6xrpuBQ

Look at that tail waggle!

Granted, the one I saw looked more like

17-immature-spotted-sandpiper-mh-add-to-kids2.jpg

but that bobbing tail was quite distinctive, even for me seeing a sparrow-sized bird on a sandbar while I kept my distance in a river.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    On Tuesday I was driving to class and stopped at a red light, as one does. While stopped, I saw a little desert gopher saunter into the street and start looking around. Suddenly it fuckin' darts back to where it came from, and a hawk of some sort swoops down and kind of glides over where the gopher was and landed on the little metal handrail over the culvert walkway. I almost saw something really cool, but instead I got to see something kinda cool.

Earlier this week I saw a coopers hawk swoop down on a large red or small fox squirrel, miss and land in a tree over. After a little back and forth the squirrel charged the hawk, which flew to a tree 2 over. Squirrel still wasn't happy with that and took a single step towards the hawk, at that point the hawk just noped out and flew away.

Squirrel had a little victory dance and might have gained a level.

Veevee on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Xaquin are you a squirrel?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    0629vq2rpt5g.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sorry I didn't caption, blue heron I passed while kayaking.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Xaquin are you a squirrel?

nuts to that

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I found out the other day that one of the German words for "birdie" (as in, diminutive version of "bird") is Piepmatz.

That is all.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    How birds see colour:
    According to a Live Science article, 'a bird with ultraviolet-sensitive vision might have spectacularly bright plumage in order to impress a female, but that same plumage might appear dull to predator birds that see only in the violet range.'

There are some species where males and females appear similar but light up spectacularly when seen through UV cameras, such as starlings. With UV vision, the difference is of course very apparent to the birds themselves.

gSQ7DXe.jpg
    L: How humans see Starlings. R: How Starlings may see each other - with bolder markings and more colour.

A compelling reason behind the theory that UV vision helps find a mate was the discovery that the famously colourful bills of Atlantic Puffins fluoresce spectacularly under UV light. Also known as 'Sea Parrots' and 'Clowns of Sea', Puffins actually alter their appearance. Little known is the fact that their beaks and contrasting plumage only last for the duration of the breeding season, whereupon they return to more muted colours and shed their beaks. The Puffin's bills are key to signalling sexual prowess to other puffins.

LBSLapp.jpg
    L: Puffin during non-breeding season. M: Puffin during breeding season with colourful bill. R: Puffin bill under UV light.

https://www.sensorama.world/post/the-amazing-world-of-uv-vision-seen-through-the-eyes-of-birds

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    hooded pitohuis are poisonous

which I suspect explains why they just sit there calmly, waiting for you to agree that they taste terrible

also: if you touch the bird & lick your finger, your tongue turns numb!

• Options
    Don't lick birds.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Don't lick birds.

No, see, it works if you lick your thumb and touch the bird!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    You're not my dad

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Don't lick birds.

No, see, it works if you lick your thumb and touch the bird!

That's a slippery slope. Everyone sees it, nobody's sayin' it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Saw a peregrine falcon try and fight a pair of white tailed eagles. Peregrines are some angry sons of bitches. The eagles seemed pretty chill about the whole thing.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The peregrines around here have a friendship with a red tailed hawk that lives nearby {like over in a field that goes on for several miles squished between a row of businesses along the road and apts a distance away} I call it the sagebrush preserve it's also where a lot of coyotes live
    But back to the Red tailed hawk I have seen them hunt together one dives to scare up birds the other catches one. I have seen local birds harass the peregrine whom flies off to get their rather showy friend {they will land on a house or light pole spread their wings and circle like a wrestler taunting the birds}

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    First post in this thread.

On the entire eastern side of the continent, you basically only get one kind of hummingbird, the Ruby-throated. We had a couple female birds at our feeder when last week, I notice a hummingbird with some brightly coloured feathers on its neck, so I naturally assume its just a male version. I snap a few photos of it outside our kitchen and move on. It comes back later in the day, I snap a few more photos and then take a closer look at it. Turns out, it has alot more orange on it than I am used to seeing. I post the photos around to some birders and get some feedback that it is likely a vagrant Rufous hummingbird. I get in contact with a local hummingbird bander who was finally able to visit me this morning where he temporarily captured the bird, banded it, ID'd it and took a bunch of measurements. He ID'd as a Rufous hummingbird (the easiest way to do this is by examining the tail feathers for a particular shape) and that makes it one of about 60 or so sightings of this bird in this state ever. He's been visiting very consistently over the last week and may stick around for a while well past when all the other hummingbirds would have normally left. Very excited about this!

Photos under the spoiler (I shrank them down so hopefully they are not too big to share)
    f3mw7acwvl2g.jpg
    n3ohacsa4ubb.jpg
    kyia9095srwp.jpg
    i4do6um0sqra.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dang ol' minuscule birb there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I didn't realize being a birder gave you power over birds to command and handle them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This guy moved into the neighborhood a month or so ago.
    5nschox7ktat.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I didn't realize being a birder gave you power over birds to command and handle them.

Yeah, it's the bander who is pictured holding the bird. He was very comfortable holding it as well. He is trained and registered to do so I believe. I am pretty sure it is otherwise illegal to capture and handle most birds on your own.

• Options
    I'll capture and handle any birds I want what're they gonna do call the cops I don't think so

• Options
    I'd be worried about stool pigeons.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    This guy moved into the neighborhood a month or so ago.
    5nschox7ktat.jpg

When did Giraffe DNA get mixed up into a bird?

That Neck tho!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    This man is married to a bird, whether he wants to be or not.

• Options
    edited October 2021