As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I kind of want to get a 12900K. Not because I need one, or it's a huge upgrade. I just want to play with undervolting it to see if I could get the temps and power draw under control while maintaining a high all-core frequency.

Someone did this and honestly, undervolting may be the way to go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/qwn1j9/core_i912900k_performance_efficiency_at_various/.compact

It really does seem that the new "overclocking" is really about finding your GPU/CPU efficiency point. Like when I undervolted my 3090. It runs as well as it did when it came out of the box but using much less power, with much less heat, and no spikes to crazy power draw. Seems Intel's new CPU's are in a pretty similar position. Enthusiasts who plan to daily drive them should probably spend their time figuring out how to make them run more cool and efficient, not how to squeeze performance out of them.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    What's the best way to figure out how to undervolt?

I assume it's specific to the card itself for binning variance. Is there a nice guide I can follow on how to do it?

My 3080ti runs hotter then I'm used to and just wondering if I can makes changes to help with that.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

That’s the vid I used to figure out how to undervolt my 3080. Actually setting it takes seconds, it’s just testing to figure out how far you can push the card that can take some time. But you don’t have to push it too hard to see a difference from what I tried. That vid has some examples for 3080 & 3090 that should should give a ballpark for a 3080ti.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Yep, that's the video I watched as well. I also read a guide about how to specifically do some interesting things with MSI Afterburner, but I can't find it now to link it. But basically I do this:
    1. Pull your power and temp sliders all the way up, give the card room to breath
    2. Decide on a voltage you want to be at (for me it was 0.825Mv)
    3. Use the MSI Afterburner Curve Editor to find the match point between that voltage and your target core speed (for my 3090 I started at 1875mhz, for a 3080 it will likely be higher)
    4. Drag the target Mv point up to that target core speed, press L for lock in the editor, then the Apply check in MSI Afterburner
    5. Run a bunch of stability tests, including some longer running burn in tests
    6. Once you've decided you like the stability, reset everything in Afterburner back to the default card settings (no curve, default power, default temp)
    7. Re-max the power/temp sliders
    8. Set your target Core Clock on the main MSI Afterburner view to -200mhz (I'll explain this part later)
    9. Go in to the Curved Editor and find your stable Mv/Mhz point again. DO NOT PRESS L, just press the Apply check in Afterburner
    10. You should now have a nice gradual ramp up curve which ends at your target Mv/Mhz point
    11. Once you're happy save everything to a profile

The reason you do the -200mhz offset thing is so that when you Apply the curve, MSI Afterburner gives you a nice clean ramp up curve. You can use RivaTuner overlay while running some games to see that your GPU will now never go above your target Mv, though the core clock may bounce around your chosen value a little. You will probably find that your first attempt is not actually perfectly stable in real game play. I originally had 1875@0.825Mv stable in synthetic benchmarks and stress tests but in real game play I was getting instability. After a bit of tweaking I've settled at 1860@0.831Mv and it's been 100% stable for me since I found that point.

Keep in mind that point of stability is going to be different from card to card and GPU to GPU. Certainly a 3080 will have different values from a 3090, but even among 3080's you're going to have silicon variance that effects it.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The thing to keep in mind with any kind of clock/voltage tweaking is that you unfortunately (unless you find it fascinating/fun) have to fully understand the process of dialing things in, since things are built with tolerances and your hardware is not identical to any other on the planet. It is a bit of work but can be well worth it.

As mentioned, you can't just slap some known numbers in, not unless you're being ultra conservative and staying close to standard spec still. However, knowing the numbers from people with similar hardware (exact combo of cards and SKUs ideally) gives you some expectations on range and how far you can push the values, and give you some idea for starting points. Don't be surprised or upset if you don't reach the same numbers as everyone else, but you should be close enough. If you're way out, you gotta check that you don't have something wrong, or just accept that you lost the silicon lottery pretty bad on occasion.

Have fun!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, i figured it's different between even units but yeah just never was sure how to get into it.

I'll check out the vid after work and try it out. I'll report back on whether I've set everything on fire.

• Options
    I edited my post to break that sentence out and bold it. Looking at the stability point other people with your GPU have gotten is a nice starting point, but rarely can you just plug those numbers in and go. You need to be comfortable tweaking, testing, tweaking some more, and accepting that it's a long term process. Even once the synthetics tell you it's stable you'll probably still have some instability to tune out in daily gaming.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I understand this isn't really the place for this but I'm super frustrated and vaguely venting, but, after sitting at home all day waiting for my new case and graphics card from Newegg to be delivered and to sign for it, watching the street with a lot of excitement for the ontrac truck it looks as if ostracized just decided to either steal or lose it as now the darn thing says "delivered" but it certainly wasn't delivered here.

Now Newegg says 7-10 business days to investigate the claim, so no new computer build for me over Thanksgiving. Despite my hard work saving up. OnTrac hasn't replied at all. So, be careful with Newegg I guess since they ship with ontrac. Though, I've never had issues before. Who knows if I will ever get my money back.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I understand this isn't really the place for this but I'm super frustrated and vaguely venting, but, after sitting at home all day waiting for my new case and graphics card from Newegg to be delivered and to sign for it, watching the street with a lot of excitement for the ontrac truck it looks as if ostracized just decided to either steal or lose it as now the darn thing says "delivered" but it certainly wasn't delivered here.

Now Newegg says 7-10 business days to investigate the claim, so no new computer build for me over Thanksgiving. Despite my hard work saving up. OnTrac hasn't replied at all. So, be careful with Newegg I guess since they ship with ontrac. Though, I've never had issues before. Who knows if I will ever get my money back.

I've read probably a dozen stories exactly like this, it's why I don't even check the price on Newegg anymore.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    What the heck is OnTrac? I don't think I've ever heard of them and I'd like to avoid them based on that experience! My last couple of things shipped were UPS/FedEx.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What the heck is OnTrac? I don't think I've ever heard of them and I'd like to avoid them based on that experience! My last couple of things shipped were UPS/FedEx.

They’ve been around for awhile. They’re a smaller shipper.

Haven’t had problems in the past, but have heard of problems.

• Options

Ontrac is a west coast only delivery company, though I think they will ship anywhere from the west coast. So you'll rarely see them if you don't live here. They are a small slice of the delivery market even here.

• Options

Ontrac is a west coast only delivery company, though I think they will ship anywhere from the west coast. So you'll rarely see them if you don't live here. They are a small slice of the delivery market even here.

Clearly ontrac doesn't steal or lose every package, and fedex/ups don't get everything to your door perfectly, but OnTrac seems to be like 95% success vs FedEx 99%, and (working with both them and Newegg now to try and resolve this) Ontrac customer service and response is utter garbage.

I was expecting delays, since I paid for signature delivery (stuff was expensive, don't want it left in the street) but, that's the usual drive to FedEx center annoyance sort of thing. Not this fake delivery rubbish.

So, watch out for Newegg for expensive stuff these days. You might get your stuff shipped with ontrac, and then you'll be stuck waiting weeks for resolution. Out of pocket, and no pc.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H, and at this point I've given them way too much money.

They sell computer goods too. Just as a recommendation. Don't have the rebates Newegg does, but after being burned for a couple hundred dollars there I no longer factor that price in.

Orca on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Is there a reliable source that points out if and which SSDs that had TLC before now have QLC? There are some good deals on Sandisk Ultra 3D SSDs, but...you know

relatedly: how much does that actually matter in terms of OS and/or game performance?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H, and at this point I've given them way too much money.

They sell computer goods too. Just as a recommendation. Don't have the rebates Newegg does, but after being burned for a couple hundred dollars there I no longer factor that price in.

The photography store?

• Options

The photography store?

Yep! They also sell computer gear.

• Options
    It's where I got my Synology 1621+. The HDDs I got from Best Buy.

I basically don't buy from electronics from Newegg or Amazon anymore.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    B&H is a huge electronics store, and definitely not just photography stuff anymore. They have fantastic pricing as a rule (and a good used gear section).

They’re kind of colossal assholes, but at the end of the day, they’re no worse than Amazon, so I’d still go with them. I tend to prefer Micro Center, Newegg, and Adorama (in that order) for electronics/computer hardware purchases.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    If I had a Microcenter near me I'd never go anywhere else for computer goods TBH.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Let me tell you, having one not only nearby, but in an Economic Development Zone (translation: sales tax is halved) is a dangerous thing.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    B&H is a huge electronics store, and definitely not just photography stuff anymore. They have fantastic pricing as a rule (and a good used gear section).

They’re kind of colossal assholes, but at the end of the day, they’re no worse than Amazon, so I’d still go with them. I tend to prefer Micro Center, Newegg, and Adorama (in that order) for electronics/computer hardware purchases.

Their retail location is absolutely crazy; its a willy wonka-esque everything store, with gaming rigs, pro photography stuff, drones, audio gear, components, tools, phones, tablets, mac stuff... and in the ceiling there are these conveyors snaked around everywhere that moves the stuff you order to the front where it is bagged and waiting for you to check out.

I cannot imagine this is more efficient than just pulling parts but that's what they do here.

It is also a Jewish-run business and they close midday friday and don't reopen until sunday, which is super annoying when you get paid on friday and want to buy a new toy after work.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    After discussions with my dad and brother I have decided to just not buy a video card and instead I'm gonna look at taking my landlady's offer and buy this apartment instead.

You may think I'm joking but I'm not. PC gaming has priced me out.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    After discussions with my dad and brother I have decided to just not buy a video card and instead I'm gonna look at taking my landlady's offer and buy this apartment instead.

That's where we are.

Back to the bad old days pre-2000s.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

I do not understand how those two options are even remotely weighing on the same scales.

Like "instead of buying this expensive block of cheese, I've decided to go with a used car."

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

I do not understand how those two options are even remotely weighing on the same scales.

Like "instead of buying this expensive block of cheese, I've decided to go with a used car."

From the perspective of "I can afford an expensive hobby, or I can put that money into the mortgage", well, maybe?

Especially if you're trying to stay at the peak of performance (whether or not that's justified).

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    relatedly: how much does that actually matter in terms of OS and/or game performance?

Basically zero. It's more about the life of the drive; which I'd argue is largely non-existent for home users.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thanks to my wife's help (and enabling) I now have a fancy LED computer and first windowed case. Decided to go with a Sith theme for the coloring and put in Dark Rey and Darth Vader. My wife said I need to put a Kylo Ren in there as well.

SW_PC.jpg

The fan lights are Pong up and down the sides with a white "clash" effect at the end. I also had to toss in my FRR (Battletech) and Oosiks patch. Sadly I need to put them on risers as well as the credit chip.

The GPU is an ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC Edition that I won in a Newegg Shuffle. The only reason I have this huge case since my existing case could not fit it, so my wife said "Go big or go home". Found the Corsair 5000D on discount from Woot and the rest was history (aka, buying lighting fans, 850W Corsair PSU, and finally upgraded to 32GB of RAM). Still using my old cheap cooler I bought at Fry's eons ago since I was lazy and didn't want to put in the Noctua cooler.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

From the perspective of "I can afford an expensive hobby, or I can put that money into the mortgage", well, maybe?

Especially if you're trying to stay at the peak of performance (whether or not that's justified).

PC hardware depreciates, and property generally appreciates. If I was in the situation where I could either buy a new GPU or put a downpayment on an apartment I would put the downpayment on the apartment and play retrogames for a couple years until either the GPU market stabilizes or society collapses (at which point GPUs are useless anyway).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The oosiks patch rules betsuni

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

They start weighing on the same scale when you think start fiddling with mortgage calculators and putting the current cost on Amazon of the video card that I wanted into a deposit instead means that mortgage would get paid off almost 5 months sooner. Call me when I can - even second hand - make a worthwhile upgrade to this 1060GTX for £250 or so.

V1m on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

Basically zero. It's more about the life of the drive; which I'd argue is largely non-existent for home users.

Yeah, I ran a drive check recently and saw that my old-ass Samsung SSD is not even at a third of its supposed TBW. Which is not to say that it can't just die, but still

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Man, that takes me back.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on a nice sale on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB for the laptop.

Now I'll finally be able to download MS Flight Simulator again without having to delete everything.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am once again looking at upgrading my PC, as I do every year or so before deciding I can't afford it. I have a bunch of components I added to my Amazon wishlist last time I was given advice, to remind myself to buy them, but I added them in 2019 so I'm guessing they're well out of date now. Researching this stuff is giving me a headache. Is a Ryzen 5 5600 better or worse than a Ryzen 7 3700? Which numbers do I want to be bigger? Do I want more, slower cores or fewer, faster cores? Why are there so many different kinds of processor??

This is what I have sitting on my wishlist:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX motherboard for AMD AM4 (lol what does any of that mean)
    16GB of DDR4 3600MHz RAM
    Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD

I have a Radeon RX 580 which I'm not planning to replace yet, and a fairly new PSU. Other than that I'll be upgrading from an Intel i5 760 and a dying HDD.

Do any of those recommended components still look okay? If I want to get a better processor what numbers are most important in deciding which is better? - let's assume for simplicity I will be getting a Ryzen of some kind.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have that exact cpu and mobo combo and they've been working just fine for me.

If you want to improve your cpu it'd be a 3800 or 5800 I think you'd want to aim for for the increased core count. Not sure a 3700 or 5700 would necessarily be worth the bump in price but I could easily be wrong there.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I am once again looking at upgrading my PC, as I do every year or so before deciding I can't afford it. I have a bunch of components I added to my Amazon wishlist last time I was given advice, to remind myself to buy them, but I added them in 2019 so I'm guessing they're well out of date now. Researching this stuff is giving me a headache. Is a Ryzen 5 5600 better or worse than a Ryzen 7 3700? Which numbers do I want to be bigger? Do I want more, slower cores or fewer, faster cores? Why are there so many different kinds of processor??

This is what I have sitting on my wishlist:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX motherboard for AMD AM4 (lol what does any of that mean)
    16GB of DDR4 3600MHz RAM
    Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD

I have a Radeon RX 580 which I'm not planning to replace yet, and a fairly new PSU. Other than that I'll be upgrading from an Intel i5 760 and a dying HDD.

Do any of those recommended components still look okay? If I want to get a better processor what numbers are most important in deciding which is better? - let's assume for simplicity I will be getting a Ryzen of some kind.

I would get the newer 5600 over the 3600 at least, since the mobo/ram is geared towards that one. 3600mhz is the target memory speed you want for 5xxx series, it's usually 3200mhz you need for Ryzen 3600 to keep up.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    @Nips deserves the credit for making them. He is seriously awesome for that and I finally have a good home for mine.
    LD50 wrote: »

Man, that takes me back.

Back when you could actually buy a video card on sale or MSRP at worst. Oh you mean the fun days of the Oosiks. Yeah, those were the glory days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I bought my daughter one of the NZXT BLD Kits for Christmas. It will be a fun way to let her figure out how to build a PC for herself. The manual it comes with is super neat, basically a Lego instruction book for how to build a PC.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    the 12900K has me tempted to do a new build and sell off my 9900k parts but in actual gaming benchmarks, not looking like that big of a jump?

the new architecture/DDR5 and an excuse to downsize from full tower to mid since id be ripping all the guts out anyway is tempting but may hold off at least until DDR5 prices normalize.

This discussion has been closed.