As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I don't feel like giving Ana, Gren, and Julia more screentime is padding. It makes it a different kind of show, but not bad.

Vicious is a psychopath, yes, and they don't try to make him sympathetic. I like everyone around him being more than bit players though.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The live action version of Bebop feels mostly inoffensive to me, but I think the biggest sin that it commits is that it's plainly just an inferior version of the original show. Almost every change in plotting and pacing serves to weaken it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The live action version of Bebop feels mostly inoffensive to me, but I think the biggest sin that it commits is that it's plainly just an inferior version of the original show. Almost every change in plotting and pacing serves to weaken it.

The reactions seem to bear that out too, the people who have never seen Bebop like it a lot because the original show is so strong.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Bebop is a definitive case study in less is more.

The biggest problem I've had with the show so far is how much pointless padding they seem to have included to stretch these episodes out to an hour long. In the cartoon, they need one line of dialog where Spike asks why there's no beef in Jet's "Peppers and Beef" to establish their relations, current situation and motivation. They're out on the bounty in about 3 minutes. In the live action version, we're 30 minutes in, and they're still setting up how poor they are and if they really want to take the bounty!

I'm still hopeful for the second half of the season, cause I've enjoyed most of the action in the first half, but I really feel like most of these episodes could be cut in half and come out stronger for it.

The original show is extremely lean. Presumably because animation is expensive and so episodes are short. There's room to add some meat to them bones. But probably not enough to double the length of every story without it getting real flabby.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Finally saw the last episode of this seasons Doom Patrol. LOVED this season.

DOOM FORCE!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Didn't feel like a season finale, which was a bit disappointing after last season's issues, but overall I thought this season was really strong.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Bebop is a definitive case study in less is more.

The biggest problem I've had with the show so far is how much pointless padding they seem to have included to stretch these episodes out to an hour long. In the cartoon, they need one line of dialog where Spike asks why there's no beef in Jet's "Peppers and Beef" to establish their relations, current situation and motivation. They're out on the bounty in about 3 minutes. In the live action version, we're 30 minutes in, and they're still setting up how poor they are and if they really want to take the bounty!

I'm still hopeful for the second half of the season, cause I've enjoyed most of the action in the first half, but I really feel like most of these episodes could be cut in half and come out stronger for it.

The original show is extremely lean. Presumably because animation is expensive and so episodes are short. There's room to add some meat to them bones. But probably not enough to double the length of every story without it getting real flabby.

Yeah after watching the first episode, I immediately rewatched Asteroid Blues and came across one bit I think they did better.
    In the fight where Katarina is shot and all the vials spill out of her dress. In the cartoon, it all happens at once. It's literally blink and you could miss it. The new one slows everything down. You get the bullet tearing through her midsection. Then you see the looks of horror from everyone before cutting back to her dress and the flash of red spilling out before it's finally clear what is going on. And then it ends with all the emotion draining out of Spike's face as he realizes he's been lied to, and he reverts into the cold-blooded killer. It only takes a few seconds more, but it adds a ton of impact and character information to the scene.

I don't want to be too harsh on the show, cause there's been little bits like that throughout that I'm legit enjoying, I just wish there were more of them. And less of Vicious and Julia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I can’t believe it’s the year 2021 and we still need to have the “people are different than you and like different things” discussions.

I didn’t like the live adaptation, but it wasn’t some sort of travesty upon the world. I can understand why someone might just like to watch it just like I can understand why someone might watch and enjoy WoT.

This directed at anyone here, or is there some sort of fanbase-driven shame campaign directed toward the creators that I'm not aware of? I don't really think that line has been crossed with that adaptation yet, at least not as far as I've heard. A lot of people being loudly disappointed doesn't really invalidate anyone's opinion of the show.

Yes. It was directed at you. I just didn’t feel like quoting your big block after someone else just did.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dunno about Bebop, it's different, not better but not bad. Only a few episodes in. Jet Black is definitely better than Spike or Faye so far. New TV, went looking for super duper hi res content to watch - surprised by how much of Netflix is HD and not UHD. The David Attenborough documentaries are crazy good looking though on the new set.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So the other day I accidentally sat on a PS5 controller and it somehow downloaded AppleTV. Which I refused to subscribe to out of spite. Yesterday I again accidentally sat on a controller and it launched AppleTV and I noticed that buying a PS5 apparently gets me 5 free months of AppleTV, so I'm like FINE IF MY BUTT WANTS TO WATCH IT THIS BADLY I'LL FUCKING WATCH IT.

Well, Apple apparently wants to make it as hard to use their system is possible, because I had to log in with an Apple ID and then activate it on a different device and then create an iTunes account on a third device and fucking 45 minutes later I finally got to look at their goddamn shows.

Anyway, Ted Lasso is a wonderful and charming show that is almost worth the whole ordeal, but more importantly, fuck Apple to death.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hellbound feels like a goddamn fucking fever dream. What the fuck is this show?

I’m on Ep 4 and trying to decide if this thing is worth seeing through.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

After watching the final episode of the season I want to update my opinion to "the live adaptation is bad, actually".
    Between turning Julia into the antagonist, the weird plotting, the dumb one liners and the actual nightmare that is their version of Ed I'm really hesitant about what a second season will look like.

I could have happily lived my entire life without hearing "Welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers".

Burnage on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Kana the new Bebop show has been out for like three days it's not great to have massive untagged spoilers in your post.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So the other day I accidentally sat on a PS5 controller and it somehow downloaded AppleTV. Which I refused to subscribe to out of spite. Yesterday I again accidentally sat on a controller and it launched AppleTV and I noticed that buying a PS5 apparently gets me 5 free months of AppleTV, so I'm like FINE IF MY BUTT WANTS TO WATCH IT THIS BADLY I'LL FUCKING WATCH IT.

Well, Apple apparently wants to make it as hard to use their system is possible, because I had to log in with an Apple ID and then activate it on a different device and then create an iTunes account on a third device and fucking 45 minutes later I finally got to look at their goddamn shows.

Anyway, Ted Lasso is a wonderful and charming show that is almost worth the whole ordeal, but more importantly, fuck Apple to death.

Oh my god thank you I was so close to caving on AppleTV but you've cured me.

I don't even know what my iTunes/AppleID password is anymore because for years every time I had to update my ipod touch it made me log in which meant I had to reset the password I never used. I think I finally ended up changing it to "I1Hope2Steve3Jobs4Suffers5Eternally&FuckApple" but I can't be sure.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Why do anime fans work so goddamn hard to make me hate anime? Thanks for the spoilers, I hope every cartoon you love gets a live action remake.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ted Lasso is huge and won all those awards, but if it was on Netflix instead holy hell it would be president

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

After watching the final episode of the season I want to update my opinion to "the live adaptation is bad, actually".
    Between turning Julia into the antagonist, the weird plotting, the dumb one liners and the actual nightmare that is their version of Ed I'm really hesitant about what a second season will look like.

I could have happily lived my entire life without hearing "Welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers".
    Ed was bad in the show. I said what I said.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Hellbound feels like a goddamn fucking fever dream. What the fuck is this show?

I’m on Ep 4 and trying to decide if this thing is worth seeing through.

It is. Only two episodes to go, and the last episode if a fucking trip and a half.

So many questions !

I really hope it gets a second season, and a chance to wrap up the story.

• Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I have only ever played a tiny bit of LoL, and my knowledge of their worldbuilding is limited to their big cool cinematics they release now and then, and I really thought Arcane was dope. You can definitely sense how much of a passion project it was.

regarding Caitlyn and Vi
    They're definitely shooting sexual tension vibes at each other from very early on, but it's also the joint realization that they can actually trust each other. Caitlyn's been kinda locked in a jeweled prison by her parents, and Vi has been in a constant fight for survival, neither of them has any sort of relationship of like equality and mutual trust. It's kinda rushed but I think the sudden intensity also kinda makes sense between them. Like, yeah they totally wanna bang, but Vi's not freaking out trying to save Caitlyn because she's hot, but because she just plain likes her. To her Caitlyn's an innocent who deserves to be protected, whereas Jinx is... a bit more of a complicated question.

Jinx
    In the games she's kind of an obvious Harley Quinn type character, blowing shit up and wackily crazy but never actually like, a bad person. Very lovably chaotic neutral. So I like how Arcane actually breaks that down and makes her simultaneously super sympathetic but also dangerous. The fun wacky crazy surface level cracks pretty quickly and underneath that is someone who's like, actually mentally ill and a threat to herself and others. You want Vi to rescue her even as the show points out repeatedly that there's nothing to rescue her from, she's not the bad guy's prisoner. When Jinx starts kidnapping people it seems entirely possible that she murdered Caitlyn and put her head on a plate just out of petty jealousy over her sister. Which makes it a bit hard for Vi to still entertain fantasies about saving Jinx from the baddies.

It's a nice little storytelling bait and switch, we're expecting Harley Quinn and instead we get the Joker.
    The dinner scene definitely reminded me of the dinner scene from Scott Snyder's Death of the Family run in the Batman comics. Joker has all of Batman's family tied up at a dinner table and is forcing Batman to choose between them or him.

Also, the music was fantastic throughout the show. I don't think any of the songs were not bangers.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I really, really like Cowboy Bebop. I think it's great so far. I'm also a sucker for stylish flash over substance (I liked Gunpowder Milkshake for example). So take my recommendation with that in mind.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Did you try just sitting on the controller again? That seems to get results.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

My wife and I watched Tehran on Apple TV, which was a pretty decent spy show.

I tried to get her to watch Ted Lasso and she didn't like it. I suspect my wife may not have joy in her heart.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Burned through all of Arcane and all of the new Cowboy Bebop.

Arcane was great, but the first episode was a bit slow in setting things up imo. Worth it, though. Big thumbs up by the end, great music (even Imagine Dragons was tolerable, yeah I said it), and a great antagonist.

Bebop....

First episode was the worst of all of the episodes and the show did improve afterwards. Jet....Shakir nailed Jet. He was great. That being said....

The show is pretty bad, imo, and a large part of that revolves around how terrible everything involving Julia and Vicious is.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    For how much they are not doing their own thing it is bizarre to me that they cut (episode 7 Netflix, something like 21 in the anime spoiler):
    Spike and Jet's expedition to get the Betamax. Probably hard to do live action, but that is always a weirdly effective scene. Was glad they kept Faye's message to herself basically intact (maybe even word for word?)

• Options
    What a waste of John Noble.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What a waste of John Noble.

He showed up in The Boys season 2 and was good for the brief bit he arrived, which is no surprise.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Every time I see him makes me want to watch Fringe again.

Episode 9 spoiler:
    Isn't having Julia sing "Adieu" the right call there? I know they played like a couple seconds from it earlier as we faded out on her earlier.

• Options
    I think back on Fringe sometimes and think what a goddamn mess that turned out. It's got the same problem Lost does imo in that parts of it are really good but the whole is just so unfocused and uneven it never quite gels.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I think back on Fringe sometimes and think what a goddamn mess that turned out. It's got the same problem Lost does imo in that parts of it are really good but the whole is just so unfocused and uneven it never quite gels.

Throw Alias in that pile.

I wonder if there's any connection? :razz:

EDIT: To be fair, it was the weaker plot wise, but it did manage to waste some awesome talent with Garber, Rifkin, Lumbly and early Cooper, and the end was just awful.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Wow, they fucked up "Ballad of Fallen Angels" something fierce.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

EDIT: To be fair, it was the weaker plot wise, but it did manage to waste some awesome talent with Garber, Rifkin, Lumbly and early Cooper, and the end was just awful.

The funny thing is I don't think JJ had any say in the day-to-day operations of those series. Or at least not some of them.

Fringe is so weird in that it starts kinda shaky then coalesces around an actual interesting core idea by the end of S1 and is off to the races for a few seasons and then basically falls apart again before the end.

• Options
    OK, have now seen the whole thing. Full season spoilers for Bebop (and ancillary spoilers for the anime):
    1) I actually think it is a good series for the majority of the run time. Would think more fondly of it were a different IP clearly inspired by Bebop instead of actually being Bebop.
    But the basic dynamics between Spike, Jet, and Faye work and I think those three actors do a good job. There are some absolutely atrocious lines (particularly for Daniella Pineda but she does her best to sell them). The bounties of the week episodes are all at least serviceable and you could build a show out of those dynamics.

But holy shit are Vicious and Julia terribly written and performed. They undermine the entire show. Vicious is a boring one note monster with a very underdeveloped daddy complex like a thousand other villains. Juila I don't even fucking know. Her personality shifts rapidly all the time. Best case is they decide that being a victim of domestic abuse made her cold and emotionless and amoral. And that highly problematic message is the best case scenario. In both cases they decided to give a cipher from the original series an actual personality and made them less interesting as a result, which is amazing. Anyway this is all a giant problem. Especially if we're supposed to believe Julia as the primary antagonist for season two.

Ed needs to be toned down to make her work as a live action character and they...did not choose to do that in those 20 seconds. Hopefully that kid can shift gears because if you're going to do anything with Ed you have to be able to sell her departure and that makes downshifting her into a more realistic portrayal. Probably the most actually affecting scene from the whole show. "Call Me Call Me" helps a lot there. I don't think they used the soundtrack very well either unless they were literally replicating the cues from the original series.

Overall like, 3/5. Would maybe be 3.5 if it weren't Bebop.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    MorganV wrote: »

The funny thing is I don't think JJ had any say in the day-to-day operations of those series. Or at least not some of them.

Fringe is so weird in that it starts kinda shaky then coalesces around an actual interesting core idea by the end of S1 and is off to the races for a few seasons and then basically falls apart again before the end.

I am a weirdo who genuinely enjoys season 5. Season 4 is shaky though. But it does have the Stephen Root and his wife time loop episode, which is possibly my favorite episode of that show. The only other immediate contender being the one where Olivia abducts Andre Royo's cabbie in the other universe.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I can’t believe it’s the year 2021 and we still need to have the “people are different than you and like different things” discussions.

I didn’t like the live adaptation, but it wasn’t some sort of travesty upon the world. I can understand why someone might just like to watch it just like I can understand why someone might watch and enjoy WoT.

This directed at anyone here, or is there some sort of fanbase-driven shame campaign directed toward the creators that I'm not aware of? I don't really think that line has been crossed with that adaptation yet, at least not as far as I've heard. A lot of people being loudly disappointed doesn't really invalidate anyone's opinion of the show.

Yes. It was directed at you. I just didn’t feel like quoting your big block after someone else just did.

Gotcha. I mean, the content of my post is directed at what I viewed as issues with the show, there was no personal attack on those who found it enjoyable, and I wouldn't interpret my surprise at the positive side of the mixed reception it's received as such, either.

My negative response to something doesn't and isn't meant to negate that experience for someone else. Responding to my take by rolling out the idea that everyone is entitled to their opinions is just kind of weird when I never suggested otherwise. People can still talk about media on its merits while everyone agrees there's subjectivity involved. Otherwise you're just sort of shutting down discussion and my perspective here, which I guess is pretty ironic given how you went about it.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    OK, have now seen the whole thing. Full season spoilers for Bebop (and ancillary spoilers for the anime):
    1) I actually think it is a good series for the majority of the run time. Would think more fondly of it were a different IP clearly inspired by Bebop instead of actually being Bebop.
    But the basic dynamics between Spike, Jet, and Faye work and I think those three actors do a good job. There are some absolutely atrocious lines (particularly for Daniella Pineda but she does her best to sell them). The bounties of the week episodes are all at least serviceable and you could build a show out of those dynamics.

But holy shit are Vicious and Julia terribly written and performed. They undermine the entire show. Vicious is a boring one note monster with a very underdeveloped daddy complex like a thousand other villains. Juila I don't even fucking know. Her personality shifts rapidly all the time. Best case is they decide that being a victim of domestic abuse made her cold and emotionless and amoral. And that highly problematic message is the best case scenario. In both cases they decided to give a cipher from the original series an actual personality and made them less interesting as a result, which is amazing. Anyway this is all a giant problem. Especially if we're supposed to believe Julia as the primary antagonist for season two.

Ed needs to be toned down to make her work as a live action character and they...did not choose to do that in those 20 seconds. Hopefully that kid can shift gears because if you're going to do anything with Ed you have to be able to sell her departure and that makes downshifting her into a more realistic portrayal. Probably the most actually affecting scene from the whole show. "Call Me Call Me" helps a lot there. I don't think they used the soundtrack very well either unless they were literally replicating the cues from the original series.

Overall like, 3/5. Would maybe be 3.5 if it weren't Bebop.
    See, I agree about the main cast (although they suffer under the writing more often than they're able to elevate it) but that's just not enough to carry the show for me. I think they were right to lean into the bounty-hunting aspect when they were casting about for ways to build off of source material that's pretty lean, but it didn't ever really add up to much, I felt. They cash in some of the superficial sights and sounds of the original series but very rarely do they ever match any of the impact or subtlety.

100% on Vicious and Julia. If they actually had a compelling direction to take those characters, I could see getting around their awful performances and dialogue. Or if I didn't care for the liberties they were taking, but the performances stood out, I could see that starting to work, too. But they have bad ideas for these characters and execute them terribly. These are potent characters in the original series, and to see them done so poorly here really lessens the whole enterprise as a result because of how large they loom within Spike's backstory and arc. (Although there's definitely a case to make about anime Vicious actually not being a very good or interesting character and benefiting from the same kind of shine that original trilogy Boba Fett enjoyed.)

Ed...I just can't even. Even in the original series, Ed wasn't like that all the time. I truly believe there's a version of live action Ed that works, it's just very, very obvious that 1:1 reproduction of anime Ed at her goofiest is not it. Same goes for a lot of the show! I can see a strong majority of this adaptation working if they made a few different choices, if the action were consistently slick, and if the world-building weren't so persistently undermined by the writing and performances. Blegh. I think it's a real shame.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They did something different with Spike and Vicious.
    Vicious is more at the mercy of the Syndicate in this one. I suspect that changes at some point
    I am three episodes in. I like what they did with the data dog episode.
    Spike getting the drop on Vicious was funny. A little payback.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021

Gotcha. I mean, the content of my post is directed at what I viewed as issues with the show, there was no personal attack on those who found it enjoyable, and I wouldn't interpret my surprise at the positive side of the mixed reception it's received as such, either.

My negative response to something doesn't and isn't meant to negate that experience for someone else. Responding to my take by rolling out the idea that everyone is entitled to their opinions is just kind of weird when I never suggested otherwise. People can still talk about media on its merits while everyone agrees there's subjectivity involved. Otherwise you're just sort of shutting down discussion and my perspective here, which I guess is pretty ironic given how you went about it.

No, you weren’t just negative. You were calling into question OTHER people who had different opinions. Saying they must be watching a different show because they couldn’t possibly be watching what you were.

That was my problem with you.

I don’t care if you hate the show. I didn’t like it either, as I stated. I care when people act like others are crazy because they don’t share the same thoughts. That’s kind of gross. Apologies if you were just targeting faceless reviewers with your comments, but there were people in this thread who at least thought it was average so your post irked me.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Live action Bebop data dog episode
    What was up with the naked people? Was that really necessary? You don't need to be naked for a clean room. I fact, it is less clean.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I...don't understand the positive reviews Bebop is getting. Did y'all get a different series or something?

You start off by essentially saying everyone who enjoyed the show is wrong. Like there was no room for anything other than what you are putting out there. No you weren't personally attacking anyone. You were engaging in the kind of tiresome elitism around what is "good" and what isn't that was being called out though. There is nothing meaningfully gained or put forth by implying people are wrong for enjoying something you didn't.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Live action Bebop data dog episode
    What was up with the naked people? Was that really necessary? You don't need to be naked for a clean room. I fact, it is less clean.
    I think it's less "clean room" and more so they can't steal by hiding vials of the expensive drug in their clothes. Ignoring nature's pocket of course.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.