Options

The [Lego] Thread - Adults Welcome

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Ok, who bought the AT-AT so I can live vicariously through you.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Ok, who bought the AT-AT so I can live vicariously through you.

I landed one. Hoping to get it in and will build it as quickly as I can so I can use it in my Christmas card photos.

Edit: Since I got the order in before 9PM PST I managed to get a tin rather than the Santa's Front Yard as the freebie.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Heads-up to everyone looking to assemble the new AT-AT: Apparently, some of the sub-assemblies are designed in such a way that they can't really be taken apart without damaging the pieces
    https://brickset.com/article/67650/lego-has-designed-a-set-that-can-t-be-taken-apart

It sounds to me like it's either an oversight on their part, or they felt it was the approach required to provide the necessary stability to the set. I suspect that lots of adults build their Lego models and just display them assembled on a shelf, and never take them apart (I certainly fall under this, even if I wish it weren't so), so I'm guessing it won't really impact too many people. Still, I think that it's a bummer, that it's antithetical to the concept of Lego, and a double-bummer that an official set has this issue.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Heads-up to everyone looking to assemble the new AT-AT: Apparently, some of the sub-assemblies are designed in such a way that they can't really be taken apart without damaging the pieces
    https://brickset.com/article/67650/lego-has-designed-a-set-that-can-t-be-taken-apart

It sounds to me like it's either an oversight on their part, or they felt it was the approach required to provide the necessary stability to the set. I suspect that lots of adults build their Lego models and just display them assembled on a shelf, and never take them apart (I certainly fall under this, even if I wish it weren't so), so I'm guessing it won't really impact too many people. Still, I think that it's a bummer, that it's antithetical to the concept of Lego, and a double-bummer that an official set has this issue.

yeah it's weird, like this isn't a set that I'm ever going to get just based on its sheer size and price, but it's really disappointing to find out that lego would ever make something that couldn't be reduced to its most basic components

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    How much do you have to spend for the lightsaber and is it still available?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Interesting. Still won't stop me from building my AT-AT (when it comes in) as soon as I can. If Lego does fix it, I'll contact them and I'm sure they'll send me the replacement parts to swap that build out. Yeah I doubt I'll ever dismantle the AT-AT once built. The largest set my wife dismantled was my Vader's castle since I no longer wanted it as a display piece and would rather use that space for other sets. Although I did build the Lamborgini Sian and that set also had parts in there that were a pain to dismantle (and some I couldn't take apart at all) when I messed something up early on. I just remembered that I just moved around that part of the build as one huge piece, so would probably do the same thing with the AT-AT once it is built.

I'm acting like a kid trying to not get overly excited and ask my wife where the AT-AT is every moment of the day since it shipped. I did build the Star Wars Imperial Armored Marauder as soon as it came in to try and distract me. That build was quite fun actually and it is smaller than I imagined. Plus it fits everybody inside of it with their weapons. Even the Artillery Stormtrooper sits inside with his backpack on (like they show in one of the photos). I did leave Karga on top like one of the photos rather than him driving the party van since it is just awkward once they do get to the battlefield.

Edit: Just read someone's post on another forum that he did not put in the green piece and said it works fine. You have to push the grey axle part back in once assembled, but that is easy with a brick separator. So that solves any issue of not being able to disassemble that section.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Lego is cool.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    How much do you have to spend for the lightsaber and is it still available?

You asking about this one?
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/luke-skywalker-s-lightsaber-40483

If so, that was a limited gift with purchase of the UCS AT-AT.
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/at-at-75313?icmp=HP-SHH-Standard-SW_Hero_ATAT_75313_second_version_HP-EX-SW-RNHF6DC9NW

Edit: So basically to answer your question. $799.99 and no, it is no longer available from Lego.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ohhh it was tied directly to the AtAt? Now I don't feel bad at all cause never was going to get that beast.

One inconceivably large UCS kit is enough for me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so reading that article, it IS possible to disassemble it, but it requires a sharp metal object
    However, the company's latest release, 75313 AT-AT, has broken from this tradition and some sub-assemblies within it are impossible to dismantle without resorting to using sharp metal implements.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ohhh it was tied directly to the AtAt? Now I don't feel bad at all cause never was going to get that beast.

One inconceivably large UCS kit is enough for me.

Yep, plus I'm sure you can build one with parts from Lego themselves for way cheaper than $699.99. In fact, here is the instructions with part list at the end (just have to print your own label):

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/40483

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    https://brickset.com/article/67728/series-22-collectable-minifigures-revealed!
    Girl with foal
    Figure Skater
    Bard
    Wheelchair Racer
    Raccoon Suit Girl
    Birdwatcher
    Chilli suit girl
    Acorn boy
    Ice Warrior
    Moon Warrior
    Space Alien
    Robot

29hxevqcn4re.jpg
    bh7czwy5p6mx.jpg
    dp0n5efdvm3e.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm in for the bottom two and maybe Jack Frost.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    That smarmy-ass bard is perfect.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar is awesome so far. :D

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar is awesome so far. :D

I've been reading The Brother's reviews of the Advent Calendar.
    I know we're only been a couple days in, but the Star Wars is the winner so far.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    What are those minifigs? Are they sold as a set? Blind bags?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

Blind bags.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »

Blind bags.

Hmm, how hard could it be to feel out a lute...

• Options
    Also an actual Lego school and school bus that isn’t haunted by ghosts!

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    That space alien has real Mouth of Sauron vibes

• Options
    Wow, these City sets have a lot of novel stuff! The ice cream truck that shoots ice cream out of it's cone and is operated by two robbers dressed in ice cream cone suits? Delicious.

I see another set also has a tractor that shoots eggs (and not the existing, whole, unbroken eggs; I mean a cracked-open egg-white-and-egg-yolk).

Those new squirrel figures look new to me as well.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Also an actual Lego school and school bus that isn’t haunted by ghosts!

True but both the school bus and school building look so small for such an overpriced set. The bus is especially too short when what I had hoped for was a full sized and long yellow bus like the ones from my youth as a kid growing up in 1980's New York public schools.

I originally bought the Hidden Side school bus for the sole purpose of building a custom full length MOC yellow bus and it looks like I'll have to stick to that plan.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    The absolute must-buy for me from yesterday's announcements/leaks was the tiger.

t7ppf7a7whfn.jpg

I'm an absolute sucker for the Creator 3-in-1 animal sets, and this is by far the best they've ever done. (Previous highlights were the dinosaurs and the shark/squid/angler fish)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    That red panda looks so cute

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Oh geez that looks dope! For me the Crocodile was the best so far. I am disappointed in the size of the other lesser builds, though. In the case of the croc: the other builds are literally less than 50% the size of the main build.

Thankfully there's a healthy community of fans who share interesting alternatives ("4-in-1s") and even some who combine sets ("2-to-1s").

*Edit: corrected name of combined sets

Aldo on
  • Options
    Wow, these City sets have a lot of novel stuff! The ice cream truck that shoots ice cream out of it's cone and is operated by two robbers dressed in ice cream cone suits? Delicious.

I see another set also has a tractor that shoots eggs (and not the existing, whole, unbroken eggs; I mean a cracked-open egg-white-and-egg-yolk).

Those new squirrel figures look new to me as well.

There are also kittens in the building fire set.

• Options
    Marvel Advent calendar day three.
    I was right! It is a little floating wreath and the base is designed to match and connect to the two previous Hall of Armor Iron Man sets. Which is only slightly weird since the hall was in Tony’s house in Malibu while the Advent calendar is pretty clearly the tower in New York. More weirdly I keep seeing Lego sites not know what it is.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Marvel Advent calendar day three.
    I was right! It is a little floating wreath and the base is designed to match and connect to the two previous Hall of Armor Iron Man sets. Which is only slightly weird since the hall was in Tony’s house in Malibu while the Advent calendar is pretty clearly the tower in New York. More weirdly I keep seeing Lego sites not know what it is.

This calender has started off pretty weak, but judging from the cover I think its going to pick up.

Day 2 probably should have been like bonus pieces on other builds.

• Options
    Uh. Have we talked about next year's modular city building? Because I just found it on the Lego website and not seen it anywhere.

Boutique Hotel
    kfi3ujelutei.png

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/boutique-hotel-10297

• Options
    That is so cool. I love how they show it connecting to the Daily Bugle.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That looks great and a fine addition to the street and a nice connecting building for between the Venetian Houses and the rest.

I wonder if it's easy to rebuild this to something that's not a cornerbuilding

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I must not get into modulars...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

You could only get one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

You could only get one.
    No, that's not actually true.

Tiago has a review of it up already:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJUaDTndeY

• Options
    January has a LOT of Lego sets I want.

• Options
    Lego has a LOT of Lego sets I want.

Fixed that for you. :D

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Like, just off the top of my head and I am clearly missing some things I got:

That modular building
    The Luigi's Mansion sets
    The moon base, launch center, and still to be revealed moon rover that docks to the moon base, as shown on the back of the moon base box.
    The sunflowers

This discussion has been closed.