Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I mean, the visual spectacle alone puts this in my top 5. The art direction in this game is simply stunning. There is an embarrassment of gorgeous vistas and deeply disturbing or fun and quirky enemy designs.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Finally got a Noble's Slender Sword off the jobbers dressed like aristocrats with yellow swords in the caravan (and all over Limgrave, though its worth noting that some have Noble's Estocs instead).

b8un1040gi2b.png

Its model is significantly longer than the longsword or Lordsworn's Straight Sword, dunno if that equates to extra reach or if those have invisible reach but hey. As Keen it has B dex scaling with 0 upgrades (my +7 LSSS as Keen is still C dex scaling), wouldn't be shocked if it can hit S scaling.

I've seen people call the LSSS the BSS equivalent, but I think this might actually be it.

Kamar on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I was this close to dropping the great sword you find outside of the stormgate and experimenting with all the different weapons I’ve found when I picked up a claymore and it has a stab r2 so it turns out I’m set

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Kisidan wrote: »
    The lack of a pause button is infuriating at times. I would like to be able to go pee without having to go back to a grace point and resurrect all the monsters I just killed. I'm sure it is also failing on a whole bunch of other accessibility criteria which is bad.

It would be a much better game if those aspects were fixed, but equally - the last game to grab me like this and refuse to let go was Persona 5, which I enjoyed so much I played through it twice and then played Persona 5 Royal back to back. Very different games obviously, but after worrying that my PS5 was just going to gather dust, I'm very glad to have something I want to dedicate time to mastering again.

Someone linked a PC mod a while back that adds pausing, but I can’t vouch personally for how well it works or not.

Works perfectly but you have to play offline, so it's a nonstarter for most people, I'd assume.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I mean, the visual spectacle alone puts this in my top 5. The art direction in this game is simply stunning. There is an embarrassment of gorgeous vistas and deeply disturbing or fun and quirky enemy designs.

I absolutely love Dark Souls combat, and Elden Ring is the best version of it to me. Big ass shields being viable against all enemies cemented this.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    8p8fc7xiy68p.jpg

This Jelly and I have felled gods.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Holy shit who put the Mimic Tear into the game?
    This ash is 100% bonkers. They have to nerf this right?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Co-op with yourself!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's easily one of the best games I've played in a long time.

I do think there are some major issues with it that make it less fun than it could be. I like that it's hard, I like that trying to figure out how to get to the bridge in Stormveil is a challenging puzzle for me to figure out. I don't like that sometimes I can be robbed of 11,000 runes when I slip up trying to retrieve them, or an enemy just randomly changes their behavior. A skeleton threw fire bombs at me suddenly after doing the same dungeon 10 other times and doing nothing of the sort those previous 10 times, that motherfucker! The progress losses from that stuff are demoralizing as fuck, and I'm wired to get really anxious about losing time or wasting it. The only balm is that I am getting better at the game.

I mean, I also think Skyrim is one of the best games I've ever played, but there is not a soul on earth who will tell you there aren't any problems with it whatsoever, or there's no room for improvement, or there's no way to make it better.

I think it's okay to recognize this as one of the best games ever and also point out that it fucks some things up simultaneously.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    These Wolfasaurus Rexes are the hardest mobs in the game for me so far. One hit brings me down to like 100 HP from 800.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Co-op with yourself!

It’s so stupid!
    I gave myself a greatbow and anti-grav arrows and just humiliated the Royal Ancestor Spirit. The fact it can heal, does tons of damage, has my armour and does poise damage when I have Zwei or bleed with my Claymore, it’s just bonkers.

This gets nerfed right? Doesn’t even cost FP so bloody slash is on the menu any time I want!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    These Wolfasaurus Rexes are the hardest mobs in the game for me so far. One hit brings me down to like 100 HP from 800.

I found the Big Birds to be a lot worse

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

Yeah they don't have huge HP pools but they dish out damage very effectively - I don't think I've ever successfully fought more than two at a time.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options

I found the Big Birds to be a lot worse

God yeah they are brutal too. Poison works wonders on them.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Everything in Caelid is just fucked up.

If anyone has read the Gunslinger, this is the shit that popped in my mind when I was reading Wasteland.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

If anyone has read the Gunslinger, this is the shit that popped in my mind when I was reading Wasteland.

This is a good way to describe it

The background music being a constant ominous hum is pretty stressful

• Options

This is a good way to describe it

The background music being a constant ominous hum is pretty stressful

You can hear the faint sounds of warning bells ringing in it

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    One thing that helps with the trex dogs is that if you punched them in the head, they tend to fall over. Actually, assume most things with an obvious weak point will respond to punching said weakpoint, and then swear when you encoutner Fallingstar Beast who's weakpoint is very hard to hit.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    i21emkhgk3wy.png

• Options
    dkl4ga3zcuuf.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Climbed a tower, found a treasure chest surrounded by bloodstains. "Ah, at last the mimic shows up" I say to myself. Check above and behind me for enemies set to jump down, nada visible. Tentatively poke the chest with a sword. No reaction. Open it, sweating my ass off. It's an item. Wait for a moment for the other shoe to drop. Scratch my head. Actually check the bloodstains. Half died fighting something, no idea what, maybe they led the enemies I had fought below up the ladder. Half died from just jumping off the tower??? But why though?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Climbed a tower, found a treasure chest surrounded by bloodstains. "Ah, at last the mimic shows up" I say to myself. Check above and behind me for enemies set to jump down, nada visible. Tentatively poke the chest with a sword. No reaction. Open it, sweating my ass off. It's an item. Wait for a moment for the other shoe to drop. Scratch my head. Actually check the bloodstains. Half died fighting something, no idea what, maybe they led the enemies I had fought below up the ladder. Half died from just jumping off the tower??? But why though?

Invaded maybe?

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Altus Plateau
    the environmental storytelling here is top notch

Before riding to the capital ruins I understood the backstory of Elden Ring in the sense that I remembered reading about the major characters (Marika, Godfrey, the demigods, etc), knew there was a war

But you ride through Leyndell and see: oh, there was a war. And fuck that shit is fresh with these people. That is why this place is so implacably hostile and fucked up. Someone needs to step up and fix this. Someone ... like me. I will become the Elden Lord and unite this broken land.

• Options
    This wasn't in a multiplayer area I think, there was no summoning pool or boss.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The well in Liurnia
    6EiN4p7h.jpg

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I swear to god, those flamethrower birds will make me chuck my controller against a wall

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    The well in Liurnia
    6EiN4p7h.jpg

You get there eventually, and it's as bad as it looks.

• Options
    This wasn't in a multiplayer area I think, there was no summoning pool or boss.

All areas are technically multiplayer areas. I've traversed the entire first continent with two friends in tow. And I've been invaded in the middle of nowhere.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I swear to god, those flamethrower birds will make me chuck my controller against a wall

Yea those guys are bad.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the dragonkin soldier of nokstella is missing part of his hitbox im pretty sure lol

gettin noregs in a melee game cmon bruh

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Strangely, I haven't seen any player character invaders yet. Seen a few duel signs at summoning pools but that's it. Is there no unlimited use invasion item this time? Or can you not be invaded unless you're summoning maybe? The rules seem unclear this time.
    Oh, maybe you need to be using a rune arc to get invaded since it's sort of equivalent to human form?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So are the two guys on Aqueduct-Facing Cliffs the ones people mentioned to me?
    Crucible Knight I chucked off the side with great arrows. Now the spear wielding asshole who can attack THROUGH WALLS. What a shit. God it felt good to break his poise and smash him off the side into oblivion to join his shit for brains friend.

Fucking hate Crucible Knights with a burning passion.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Strangely, I haven't seen any player character invaders yet. Seen a few duel signs at summoning pools but that's it. Is there no unlimited use invasion item this time? Or can you not be invaded unless you're summoning maybe? The rules seem unclear this time.
    Oh, maybe you need to be using a rune arc to get invaded since it's sort of equivalent to human form?

you can only be invaded if you have summons with you, click on a red soapstone message, or use an item that lets you get invaded when solo (like dried finger from dark souls)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

You can only be invaded if any of the below are true:

A. If you actually summon an invader via their duel sign
    B. If you have the Taunt item active
    C. If you have cooperators

I believe if you have a multiplayer password (read: Not just a group password), that this stops invaders in their tracks. But my friends and I haven't really minded the PvP stuff thus far, despite it killing us sometimes.

• Options
    Oh, well that's a pretty massive change innit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    You know....it would have been super nice to be given at least some hints who or what was stealing my runes in the castle and also, that if I didn't go back and do something before killing Godrick, that I'd get none of them back. Kind of pissed off about it.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I believe if you have a multiplayer password (read: Not just a group password), that this stops invaders in their tracks. But my friends and I haven't really minded the PvP stuff thus far, despite it killing us sometimes.

I exceedingly doubt this, doesn't work this way in any of the other games

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    They specify multiplayer passwords just make it more likely for you to invade each other, unlike coop where it guarantees you'll see each other's signs, so I took that to mean that it doesn't turn off rando invasion.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

I exceedingly doubt this, doesn't work this way in any of the other games

Wellllllllllllllll, I'll have you know that.....google agrees! Multiplayer passwords won't save you from invaders.

This discussion has been closed.