As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [TV] Thread, what a concept!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’d say Counterpart got an… okay finale. Like clearly they could have continued, but it resolved some of the ongoing stuff and it wasn’t as bad of a surprise cancellation cliffhanger as it could have been.

Show was really, really good, though! And Simmons is phenomenal playing two versions of himself.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    American Gods is... well it's okay. Some of it is incredible, some of it is neat and thoughtful, some of it is dumb and unnecessary.

all and all, the book is better except for this one part, don't look in this spoiler if you wanna watch American Gods unspoiled, but it's not a big story spoiler, so I dunno man

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So my wife and I ate at a fancy restaurant for her birthday, and we found out the head chef competed on (and won) the cooking show the globe (he's going to be on one of those morning talk shows in NYC this week I think because of it).

So of COURSE we want to watch the show, but it's only on discovery+.

If we do the weeklong free trial what should we check out on the service?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Oof that Severance season ending. Bring me more.

Also watched all of the first season of The Flight Attendant, which was also excellent. And a whole complete story despite the existence of a second season. I'll check it out sometime down the road.

Severance works in all the ways Outer Range hasn't been for me. I wanted to like it but the characters are just not that engaging, and all the creepy weirdness bits feel...random and devoid of real purpose.
    Think I'm giving up on that one after four episodes. Episode four had like six different songs in it. The awkward singing moment at a funeral would work a lot better if it wasn't behind a bunch of other lesser odd music moments.
    It wants to do the slow mystery thing of a Lost without as compelling a hook and no one interesting apart from watching Josh Brolin chew scenes which is admittedly a feature, just not a big enough one.

Oh and the Strange New Worlds hype is real. As someone who was disappointed in both seasons of Picard and took until season three of Discovery to really enjoy it fully, the pilot episode of SNW is great. Hope they keep it up.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Man, every X-Files multi-parter is just terribly paced. Nothing is ever allowed to happen in the first episode. This three-parter of the S6 finale and S7 premier episodes might be the worst yet.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Winning Time stuck the landing for me. Great show overall.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I really liked season 1 of The Flight Attendant, but season 2 might be even better. Still very Hitchcockian, but in a different way. It gives the supporting cast way more agency and just more stuff to do, and if Kaley Cuoco doesn’t win an Emmy for it this year, I’d be surprised. There’s a really beautiful, deeply sad scene at the end of episode 5, “Drowning Women” between her and Shoreh Aghdashloo’s character that I’ll rolling around in my head for a long time.

What a gem of a show.

minor incident on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I was gonna do a starz trial to watch Spider-Man and it turns out they suspended their trial in favor of a “6 months for $3/m” deal (probably because of people who would do a trial to watch Spider-Man) so uh… any good shows? I’ve been wanting to catch American gods.

Black Sails.

The first half of season one staggers drunkenly into Gotta Be More GoT Than GoT and suffers for it. But beyond that is some very, very good work.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »

Also watched all of the first season of The Flight Attendant, which was also excellent. And a whole complete story despite the existence of a second season. I'll check it out sometime down the road.

Severance works in all the ways Outer Range hasn't been for me. I wanted to like it but the characters are just not that engaging, and all the creepy weirdness bits feel...random and devoid of real purpose.
    Think I'm giving up on that one after four episodes. Episode four had like six different songs in it. The awkward singing moment at a funeral would work a lot better if it wasn't behind a bunch of other lesser odd music moments.
    It wants to do the slow mystery thing of a Lost without as compelling a hook and no one interesting apart from watching Josh Brolin chew scenes which is admittedly a feature, just not a big enough one.

Oh and the Strange New Worlds hype is real. As someone who was disappointed in both seasons of Picard and took until season three of Discovery to really enjoy it fully, the pilot episode of SNW is great. Hope they keep it up.

Outer Range should be 100% my jam, but it just can’t muster a single halfway interesting character. Episode 6 also had what they clearly thought was a shocking reveal, but I’d wager anyone watching it probably figured it out by 3 or 4 episodes in.

I’ve only got two episodes to go so I’ll probably just finish it up, but man, it has not delivered well on an interesting premise and a promising first couple of episodes, at all.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I was gonna do a starz trial to watch Spider-Man and it turns out they suspended their trial in favor of a “6 months for $3/m” deal (probably because of people who would do a trial to watch Spider-Man) so uh… any good shows? I’ve been wanting to catch American gods.

Is only murders in the building stars? I loved that.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Is only murders in the building stars? I loved that.

I believe that is Hulu.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »

Outer Range should be 100% my jam, but it just can’t muster a single halfway interesting character. Episode 6 also had what they clearly thought was a shocking reveal, but I’d wager anyone watching it probably figured it out by 3 or 4 episodes in.

I’ve only got two episodes to go so I’ll probably just finish it up, but man, it has not delivered well on an interesting premise and a promising first couple of episodes, at all.

Oh jeez, I thought I had only seen up to episode 6, but I had actually watched 7 and 8 (and was thinking of episode 8 above). In that case, holy shit, what a meandering, pointless wet fart of a conclusion.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2b0swdpX8

New Love Death + Robots trailer for season 3. There's a couple that look kind of cool (that pirate ship one and the trippy space one). The hit rate on season 2 was pretty dire, so I'm keeping my expectations low, but shorts and short stories are some of my favorite mediums so I'll give it a shot. Maybe after a few more seasons they'll have enough great shorts to fill out a single season.

minor incident on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I thought all the episodes in S2 were pretty good except the giant one was very boring. They actually learned from people complaining, which hardly ever happens.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I thought all the episodes in S2 were pretty good except the giant one was very boring. They actually learned from people complaining, which hardly ever happens.

I thought the consistency in S2 was better. It didn’t really have any of the awful lows of S1, but nothing really matched the highs of S1 except for maybe like, Snow in the Desert.

Season 1 had some real miserable bits, but it also had Beyond the Aquila Rift, Lucky 13, and Zima Blue.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Lucky 13 is my favorite of all the LDR's shorts

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

Black Sails.

The first half of season one staggers drunkenly into Gotta Be More GoT Than GoT and suffers for it. But beyond that is some very, very good work.

Seconding Black Sails. It's an absolutely amazing self-serious prequel to (non-muppet) Treasure Island, and somehow manages to get crazier and better as time progresses. The character journeys alone are worth the price of admission; people you couldn't stand in the beginning will threaten to become your favorites by the time you're done, if they don't become your favorites midway through.

But definitely brace yourself for violence and disturbing imagery along the way. There's a few pretty unsettling scenes featuring unvarnished sexual violence in the first season, and an extremely disturbing scene featuring brutally graphic torture in the final season. I won't elaborate further if you think you've got the grit to withstand them, but don't feel bad about stepping away from the show for a bit after either one.

But especially the torture scene.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »

Black Sails.

Seconding Black Sails. It's an absolutely amazing self-serious prequel to (non-muppet) Treasure Island, and somehow manages to get crazier and better as time progresses. The character journeys alone are worth the price of admission; people you couldn't stand in the beginning will threaten to become your favorites by the time you're done, if they don't become your favorites midway through.

But definitely brace yourself for violence and disturbing imagery along the way. There's a few pretty unsettling scenes featuring unvarnished sexual violence in the first season, and an extremely disturbing scene featuring brutally graphic torture in the final season. I won't elaborate further if you think you've got the grit to withstand them, but don't feel bad about stepping away from the show for a bit after either one.

But especially the torture scene.

Clarification of terminology has never been so OH GOD NO

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This should be a real show
    https://youtu.be/8g-FBMEIgtQ

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have now seen Severance and will pass judgment at this time
    Its Good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There is a third season?!?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    There is a third season?!?

Its all redacted

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    That show's one of the other notorious "burn a lot of time and money and people" shows at the moment, for what it's worth

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Is that good or bad?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Is that good or bad?

Bad

Shoulda put more emphasis on "notorious," sorry

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    It feels like a million years ago at this point, but I remember liking season 1 for doing some cia stuff I thought was pretty ok, and giving the antagonist a very fleshed out story and having Jack Ryan be way over his head in the field.

Then season two was like lol what if he was a super hero, also weirdly obsessed with Venezuela

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    krasinski trying to rebrand as an action star will never not be funny

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's about time that Jack Ryan guy got got.

He's a menace.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    But When is he gonna catch that red October

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    krasinski trying to rebrand as an action star will never not be funny

When his action show became impossible to film under COVID protocols, he churned through (last I heard) three entire different writers rooms to keep the show alive until "putting crew at risk" became feasible again

Cool move from a cool dude

• Options
    Fuckin’ oof

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ever since A Quiet Place, I got a bad vibe from him, so that info doesn't surprise me.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    His passion project is to be an agent of the CIA

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    just can't abide by anyone who probably made out like a bandit for "some good news"

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have been watching The Owl House at my girlfriend's behest and goodness what a fun and charming show

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ally McBeal update:

After a series of dreams in which her and John Cage kiss, Ally begins to believe that Cage is "the one" for her. This puts her into an awkward position with folks at work, and with John himself who ultimately turns her down. At the end of the day, John favors Ally more as a friend than any romantic partner.

So, that was the A-plot. The B-plot? Elaine goes on a blind date and learns the dude only agreed to it as he heard from another guy that Elaine puts out on the first date. This uh... Elaine does not internalize this well, because while the identity she projects at work is a promiscuous woman-about-town, she is now starting to feel imprisoned by a reputation of being a slut. The majority of this episode is Jane Krakowski putting in the work to portray a deeply lonely woman who wants respect from people who think they are above her (class-wise). She's a good actress!! And thankfully the episode ends with Ally being a good friend and taking Elaine out to dinner. Good work, Ally!!

But don't worry, because while this episode was largely a sad one it did have a powerful ray of sunshine in the form of Billy getting served divorce papers by his soon-to-be ex-wife. Ahahaha!

GET FUCKED, BILLY THOMAS!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You know, while I know that Courtney Thorne-Smith and Julie Bowen are different people, I think it's only through your posts here that I've realised that their characters on Ally McBeal/Boston Legal are also supposed to be different people

they seem to have fundamentally the same role, right down to being romantically involved with the office douche.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    just can't abide by anyone who probably made out like a bandit for "some good news"

Seriously. Like 100% of that sale should have been donated to COVID charities.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I finished Outer Range, it's got some things going for it. But dear god every character seems to be a stupid short sided selfish asshole, even in being "noble"

That's probably the point.

Spoilers of which shows it feels like it riffing on:
    Fargo meets Dark
    which I doubt they will go all the way like the second one did.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.