Options

Uvalde Shooting: 19 elementary school children dead, 2 adults

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    It's really frustrating to watch the conservative folks on my social media peddle conspiracy after conspiracy around Covid and other vaccines, talking about how companies are creating the problem to sell you to the solution. And yet they just jump right in with the NRA who is literally doing just that.

I'm just repeating this over and over but don't let it frustrate you. They are on Team Gun, which is the same as Team Covid Hoax. Logic is irrelevant! That's the team, they want to win, so they say whatever is necessary to WIN. Contradictory arguments aren't actually contradictory because they're just GO TEAM GO TEAM YOU SUCK YOU SUCK WE WIN WE WIN.

You cannot fact your way out of a chanting crowd. The answer to "how can they think this?" is they aren't thinking. They're screaming HE WAS SAFE from behind the plate and all the instant replays in the universe don't fucking matter because at the end of all the footage they'll just go "well, I still think he was safe".

They will not take the L because you prove that they should. They will just keep declaring victory and laughing at you for being too weak to make them stop declaring victory.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've seen this discussed in a few other places, and I think it's important to address this because it seems like it will be a part of how the Republicans are going to respond to basically anything awful happening:

This is what my newsletter is about today: the right's strategy of trying to blame trans people for things we had nothing to do with. I'm really sick of it. They do this on purpose. Please read, please share, please subscribe:

Blaming things on trans people so that they can use the current harm they're inflicting to justify doing further harm.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Blaming things on trans people so that they can use the current harm they're inflicting to justify doing further harm.

They moved to it stunningly quickly, and it's already inspiring violence.

Texas Trans girl assaulted over GOP lies about Uvalde shooting (Warning for assault and transphobia in that story).

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah anything that isn’t “we need to repeal or reinterpret the second amendment” is a waste of fucking time. Even when I was staunchly pro gun, I understood that.

No other measures that meet scrutiny under the current interpretation of the second amendment will stop this. They all leave gaping holes big enough to drive a truck through. They’re pointless feel good nonsense (for Democratic measures) or bad faith nonsense (Republican measures). Sorry, I know that’s not a popular statement right now, but nothing Democrats suggest as “reasonable” gun control matters. None of it will keep guns out of the hands of shooters, or shift our culture significantly.

Talking about anything but eliminating the individual right to bear arms, explicitly, is pointless gamesmanship.

I knew this when I was pro gun, and I opposed it.

I know it now, and I support it.

Will the Democratic measures being proposed stop every lunatic with a gun from getting one? No.

Will it stop some? Even a relatively small number? Say 10% for the entire suite of proposals?

Then it's STILL fucking worth it. That'd be two, maybe three school shootings THIS YEAR that were prevented, let alone all the other gun deaths. So fucking tired of perfect being the enemy of the good.

A solution doesn't have to be 100% effective to still save lives. People still die in cars despite crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags, ABS, safety glass, etc. Doesn't mean we shouldn't still require those as well as other possible implementable options. If each Democratic measure is a 1% reduction in harm, it's worth it, even if it'll never reduce to zero.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Texas Trans girl assaulted over GOP lies about Uvalde shooting (Warning for assault and transphobia in that story).
    They calmed her down after her assault, listened to her fears, and provided as much emotional support as possible over the phone. Then they called the El Paso Police Department for her, who once again refused to take a report. (The EPPD did not immediately respond my request for comment.)

cops: always useless. Again. Also actual child abuse in that article btw because the parents responded as bigots often do to kids coming out.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Genuine question from a policing procedure perspective. What constitutes the difference between an active shooter situation and a hostage situation?

I can see the intended response for each situation requiring pretty different approaches.

Well, in a hostage situation, the cops use innocent bystanders as human shields, shoot the hostages, and shoot some more innocent bystanders, too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/us/florida-ups-truck-police-chase-shooting/index.html

But in an active shooter situation, the cops sit by and wait for the active shooter to do that instead

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Oh and apparently the cops were lying during the initial reports or lying now. Texas Tribune Reporter:
    Breaking from law enforcement presser in Uvalde:

- There was *not* a school officer on scene, despite initial reports
    - The backdoor gunman used was unlocked
    - It took an hour to take the gunman out after he entered
    - Gunman shot at witnesses in the street before entering

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Oh and apparently the cops were lying during the initial reports or lying now. Texas Tribune Reporter:

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Yeah anything that isn’t “we need to repeal or reinterpret the second amendment” is a waste of fucking time. Even when I was staunchly pro gun, I understood that.

No other measures that meet scrutiny under the current interpretation of the second amendment will stop this. They all leave gaping holes big enough to drive a truck through. They’re pointless feel good nonsense (for Democratic measures) or bad faith nonsense (Republican measures). Sorry, I know that’s not a popular statement right now, but nothing Democrats suggest as “reasonable” gun control matters. None of it will keep guns out of the hands of shooters, or shift our culture significantly.

Talking about anything but eliminating the individual right to bear arms, explicitly, is pointless gamesmanship.

I knew this when I was pro gun, and I opposed it.

I know it now, and I support it.

Will the Democratic measures being proposed stop every lunatic with a gun from getting one? No.

Will it stop some? Even a relatively small number? Say 10% for the entire suite of proposals?

Then it's STILL fucking worth it. That'd be two, maybe three school shootings THIS YEAR that were prevented, let alone all the other gun deaths. So fucking tired of perfect being the enemy of the good.

A solution doesn't have to be 100% effective to still save lives. People still die in cars despite crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags, ABS, safety glass, etc. Doesn't mean we shouldn't still require those as well as other possible implementable options. If each Democratic measure is a 1% reduction in harm, it's worth it, even if it'll never reduce to zero.

Also Democratic measures have been basically attempting to take what crumbs they think they can realistically get, because of people who value hobby over lives. So if you want to know why Dem policies are less than effective, well, it's the "staunchly pro gun."

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

According to that report, the local cops engaged the shooter inside the school and had to take cover from return fire. So more, "cops tried to stop the shooter but were outgunned, took cover and called in a tactical team" but that's tough to fit on a t shirt.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    JRosey wrote: »

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

According to that report, the local cops engaged the shooter inside the school and had to take cover from return fire. So more, "cops tried to stop the shooter but were outgunned, took cover and called in a tactical team" but that's tough to fit on a t shirt.

Yeah, "cops hide, kids die" is an accurate way to describe that scenario.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

You mean the self-serving report from the very people whose performance we're infuriated over?

Let's go with the local reporting:

Let's review the (reported) performance of the Uvalde Police and CBP response team on Tuesday:

- Waited 35-60 minutes before entering school while kids bled out, wasting golden hour

- Tazed / arrested parents begging them to go in, and attempting to rescue their kids themselves

- When they did enter the school, they went to rescue their own kids first rather than deal with the shooter

- Proved incapable of opening a locked door to the room where the shooter was, so they had a school employee do it for them with a key

- Armed school resource officer failed to prevent shooter from entering school

- Uvalde SWAT team had done a walkthrough of the school in Feb to prepare for just such a situation

- Outside observers saying Uvalde police ignored every lesson learned since Columbine

- When the police did enter the classroom, they failed to neutralize the shooter first, and as a result another child died due to their incompetence

- Initially lied about the timeline

- Police is 40% of Uvalde's budget

I'm going to stick with the original.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Then we might as well do some thoughts and prayers because the Supreme Court and Congress would never, ever repeal the Second Amendment. Or even reinterpret it to remember the "well-regulated" bit. Republicans are crazed. This would be blasphemy to them. They cannot conceive of patriotism that isn't based around guns.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    This is their story for now until they decide to change it again

• Options
    milski wrote: »

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

You think that taking cover under overwhelming fire is "hiding"? What good does a bunch of dead cops do in that situation?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

Gonna come right out and say it, but given the totality of the situation here at least one cop should be dead. Sorry, hate to put it that way. But 19 children, 2 teachers dead and 2 cops with “minor injuries” is an unacceptable outcome. We’re teaching toddlers how to swarm a gunman but don’t expect armed, trained police officers to do the same?

They’re outgunned? Maybe. But that’s not an excuse for peacing out and hoping for the best. Those cops are cowards. Which is fine, I want to live too. I mean I’m a combat arms veteran who deployed to a combat zone, so I’m no stranger to placing myself in danger. But sure, cops are outgunned and placed their own lives over 19 kids, that’s fair. It’s their choice.

But never let me hear about that “thin blue line” again. Ever. Fucking ever.

mcdermott on
  • Options

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

You mean the self-serving report from the very people whose performance we're infuriated over?

Let's review the (reported) performance of the Uvalde Police and CBP response team on Tuesday:

- Waited 35-60 minutes before entering school while kids bled out, wasting golden hour

- Tazed / arrested parents begging them to go in, and attempting to rescue their kids themselves

- When they did enter the school, they went to rescue their own kids first rather than deal with the shooter

- Proved incapable of opening a locked door to the room where the shooter was, so they had a school employee do it for them with a key

- Uvalde SWAT team had done a walkthrough of the school in Feb to prepare for just such a situation

- Outside observers saying Uvalde police ignored every lesson learned since Columbine

- When the police did enter the classroom, they failed to neutralize the shooter first, and as a result another child died due to their incompetence

Interesting take - I prefer the latest, most accurate official reporting on emerging events. Initial reports in events like these is almost always fallible. But I'm one of those crazy progressives that likes to reserve judgement until I get that facts of any given matter.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The cops should be ashamed and so should anybody defending their actions

• Options

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

You think that taking cover under overwhelming fire is "hiding"? What good does a bunch of dead cops do in that situation?

Better chance of an improved outcome than armed teachers or Kevlar backpacks.

I get it though. Not in their job description. Then maybe they should stop dressing like SEAL Team Six if all they’re gonna do with that tac gear is hold back the families of the kids being slaughtered. Maybe stop posing in tac gear like they’re fucking badasses. Maybe scrape those punisher skulls off their POVs, because they’re aren’t heroes, or antiheroes, or anything worthy of note. They’re janitors and bullies with guns and qualified immunity. And cowards.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    FOH with this carrying water for these cowards.

You can literally watch their actions on video. We aren’t speculating, you can watch the assholes get these kids killed while bullying the parents right now.

• Options

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

Interesting take - I prefer the latest, most accurate official reporting on emerging events. Initial reports in events like these is almost always fallible. But I'm one of those crazy progressives that likes to reserve judgement until I get that facts of any given matter.

When the officials are the ones under criticism for their behavior, their reports are suspect at best.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Are there any other sources for that yet? Not that I doubt it, but I'm not really familiar with Blade and the writing seemed kinda bloggy.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

I get it though. Not in their job description. Then maybe they should stop dressing like SEAL Team Six if all they’re gonna do with that tac gear is hold back the families of the kids being slaughtered. Maybe stop posing in tac gear like they’re fucking badasses. Maybe scrape those punisher skulls off their POVs, because they’re aren’t heroes, or antiheroes, or anything worthy of note. They’re janitors and bullies with guns and qualified immunity. And cowards.

I guess I just disagree with your wild assessment that this situation would have been improved by a pile of dead cops.

You can literally watch their actions on video. We aren’t speculating, you can watch the assholes get these kids killed while bullying the parents right now.

You have video of the cops engaging the shooter inside the school? Please share! Or do you think that the cops outside maintaining the perimeter of the active shooter situation were the only police on scene?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Expecting police to act like Rambo is unrealistic. We need to keep guns out of the hands of unbalanced young men, not hope and pray that the local police are like something out of a Hollywood movie. We all know from all the BLM protests that police are basically unfireable for even brutality and murder, so why would these unfireable people also be amazingly competent?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

Are there any other sources for that yet? Not that I doubt it, but I'm not really familiar with Blade and the writing seemed kinda bloggy.

It's a human interest story, and the blade(also Washington Blade, for example) is generally the LGBTQ newspaper. So I would generally trust their sourcing, unless there is a specific reason not to.

Fencingsax on
  • Options

The Blade is a longrunning LGBTQ news outlet.

• Options
    “What good does a bunch of dead cops do”

Good question, why do we have cops again?

If they aren’t willing to put their bodies between the bullets and the elementary school kids they should have their badges thrown in their face and then they should go find a job they are actually willing to do

If that sounds shitty, good, the job isn’t supposed to be power and authority and hero worship for doing nothing and letting an entire classroom get murdered

Every single cop that had the power to do something that day and didn’t should be publicly shamed every time they leave the house

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

We'll never know because Blue Lives Matter (more than trying to save schoolchildren).

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

I guess I just disagree with your wild assessment that this situation would have been improved by a pile of dead cops.

You have video of the cops engaging the shooter inside the school? Please share! Or do you think that the cops outside maintaining the perimeter of the active shooter situation were the only police on scene?

lol buddy we've seen your playbook countless times

Get outta here

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

I would prefer dead cops to dead kids

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    To Serve and Protect (Ourselves, fuck them kids)

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

I would prefer dead cops to dead kids
    if they were of any quality at all, so would they.

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

lol buddy we've seen your playbook countless times

Get outta here

Yeah this is an obvious troll, report and ignore

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Clearly the answer is to hire more police and increase their budgets so they might eventually do something other than just killing innocent people they feel kind of scared of

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

What harm does a bunch of dead cops do?
    Like, have we tried that yet?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

Politely: The cops cannot possibly be outgunned when they have multiple people against a single shooter, and there is a very good chance that choosing to aggressively engage would stop the shooter before they kill more people. That is the courage asked of them for their job.

Impolitely: Better the cops than the kids.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Clearly the answer is to hire more police and increase their budgets so they might eventually do something other than just killing innocent people they feel kind of scared of

Oh no, if they were actually scared, obviously they wouldn't engage

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Expecting police to act like Rambo is unrealistic. We need to keep guns out of the hands of unbalanced young men, not hope and pray that the local police are like something out of a Hollywood movie. We all know from all the BLM protests that police are basically unfireable for even brutality and murder, so why would these unfireable people also be amazingly competent?

I mean, sure. But again we come back to "what the fuck are we giving you all this money for them?"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Seen elsewhere:
    Cops hide. Kids die.

I don’t think dead cops improves the situation per se, but it’s something I expect to see if cops want to pretend to be any sort of heroes or protectors of the public. It would indicate they tried.

Like I said before, they have the choice to not place their lives on the line here. But then fuck every single Blue Line flag forever, because they are a “line” between fuck all and nothing. They are janitors and bullies, and paid well for it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If the shooter is engaging and taking cover from the cops, that is time they can't kill more children and a higher chance of the shooter getting shot before they can kill more people

If they want to call themselves heroes and demand deference, they should have to actually act like them