Uvalde Shooting: 19 elementary school children dead, 2 adults

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yeah Kristen DC solutions are not "realistic" becasue of COWARDS LIKE YOU

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    I hope those pigs’ cowardice haunts them for the rest of their days. I hope they can never look their friends and family in the eye again. I hope they can’t bear to look at themselves in the mirror, or in photographs. I hope every night as they try to sleep, they can hear the cries of those parents and their children. I hope that they have to struggle to answer the existential question of, “am I enough?” and they have to wrestle with the fact that, no, they are not.

Nah they're making excuses about how this is the Democrats' fault for defunding them and attacking them and causing them to be too sad to do their fucking jobs

Shhhh! That’s not how curses are supposed to work

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    She's just too busy eating cookies to work on things that will help people

Just asked Sen. SINEMA what the Senate should be doing to protect transgender people.

"I'm going to get a cookie," she said, "but my staff will happily answer."

Tweeter is a journalist for Latino Rebels

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Tumin wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Hey kids, don’t let your parents go to work. Refuse school, because you might die there, until the adults in your life actually elect people that will actually make laws that make your schools not death traps. Specifically gun control laws.

Trust me a bunch of middle schoolers just absolutely fuckin refusing to go to school will absolutely break parents.

Like don’t go to school, and then walk out, straight up do not let your parents go to work.

There’s totally ways kids can effectively strike.

I think there are but it really hurts the wrong people, and hurting your parent for proxy damage against the State is ??? Idk, hard sell!

I mean, ideally it would be the kids at school.with politicians kids ruining THAT or just straight up making their lives hell, as a serious effort. Pretty targeted stuff.

Though I guess grandkids is more likely since eveyone in Congress is over 100 or whatever.

Probably hurts parents less for a kid to miss school than to fucking die

I can't sustain needing to leave my job long enough for reform to get passed

To expand on this: I don't want to socialize my kid by homeschooling them. And even if we could afford it - we can't - you'd have to be able to afford it for, what, the 4 to 6 years passing gun control would take, against a track record of zero success in getting gun control passed?

But let's take the stay-home strategy and as long as I can drag them over the finish line at 18 alive, regardless of how they got there, we'll call it a win. I'll keep my daughter out of school, and maybe I'll take her to the movies (Aurora, CO shooting), or a protest (the DC car attack), maybe I can work part time and bring her with me (I'm a .govvie so I guess San Bernardino) etc. etc. etc.

So I guess we're just staying home for the duration, too.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Sinema Says ‘DC Solutions’ Are Not ‘Realistic’ When Asked If She’d Reform Filibuster To Pass Gun Control https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/sinema-kelly-manchin-filibuster-gun-control-shooting… via
    @TPM

Sinema is determined to go beyond being a disappointment and become the most hated Democratic politician in a generation

Sinema is beyond useless and I can't wait for 2024 to see her get primaried out of existence

Unlike that other person, she actually ran on a progressive campaign then pulled a straight up fucking U turn in office and went full Candace Owens.

Absolute shitmonger of a human being, even by politician standards

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Sinema Says ‘DC Solutions’ Are Not ‘Realistic’ When Asked If She’d Reform Filibuster To Pass Gun Control https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/sinema-kelly-manchin-filibuster-gun-control-shooting… via
    @TPM

Sinema is determined to go beyond being a disappointment and become the most hated Democratic politician in a generation

Sinema is beyond useless and I can't wait for 2024 to see her get primaried out of existence

She could at least lead with what she does want done. Too many of our senators focus on what can't be done, rather than what can.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

@TPM

She could at least lead with what she does want done. Too many of our senators focus on what can't be done, rather than what can.

That's not what she's about. This is entirely her trying to exercise power by being a Manchin proxy.

It's a fucking grift designed to secure a speaking gig at Fox News afterwards.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    She's just too busy eating cookies to work on things that will help people

Just asked Sen. SINEMA what the Senate should be doing to protect transgender people.

"I'm going to get a cookie," she said, "but my staff will happily answer."

Tweeter is a journalist for Latino Rebels

for fuck's sake how many different ways can I be angry this week

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh golly how qUiRKy of her

Kids are dead, lady

Because of you and people like you

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Treating her job in the Senate, which commands a level of power and authority beyond almost any other in this country, like she’s starring in a fucking Office Space sequel

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    So, for those of you wondering about why the police have such a big budget, I know someone who works in a small town that's bigger than Uvalde (20,000 vs 13,000), although the police budget is the same. He says that part of the reason that the police have such a big budget is because they are 'self-funded' significantly by asset forfeiture. It would not surprise me if Uvalde's police do the same.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

@TPM

That's not what she's about. This is entirely her trying to exercise power by being a Manchin proxy.

It's a fucking grift designed to secure a speaking gig at Fox News afterwards.

All the rumours I've seen say she's more delusional then that. She thinks she's gonna Maverick her way into a Presidential run or something.

• Options
    She’s not even gonna keep the job she has

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    So, for those of you wondering about why the police have such a big budget, I know someone who works in a small town that's bigger than Uvalde (20,000 vs 13,000), although the police budget is the same. He says that part of the reason that the police have such a big budget is because they are 'self-funded' significantly by asset forfeiture. It would not surprise me if Uvalde's police do the same.

Right of course. Uvalde is on a highway between the border and San Antonio, of course they're funded by drug interdiction.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

@TPM

Oh, she will immediately show up on Fox News and they can crow about "Dems being overtaken by the far left!"

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Honestly, and this is a tangent, but the biggest way to defund the police in Texas is to legalize weed.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Manchin is all about finding a solution to all this gun violence, honest, but also "ending the filibuster would be insanity."

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Manchin is all about finding a solution to all this gun violence, honest, but also "ending the filibuster would be insanity."

Insanity. As opposed to 20 dead elementary school students, apparently.

Fuck Manchin.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Kids getting riddled with bullets isn’t insanity?

These people are paid to get brain worms and defend abstract institutions that haven’t even been around for that long while our children are literally getting slaughtered.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Honestly, and this is a tangent, but the biggest way to defund the police in Texas is to legalize weed.

I would smoke a strain of Texas Rangers’ Tears so much

• Options
    Also fuck any member of the press that covers DC that isn’t chasing after politicians and calling them on their bullshit

When they scurry away like cockroaches they should have their running shoes on so they can follow and harangue them until they get the real answers about why they won’t take the obvious action necessary to stop little children from being shot in the face by guns that can shoot 9 rounds a second

Anything less than ruining politicians’ day/month/year over this is “find yourself another job” territory for me

• Options
    https://www.axios.com/2022/05/26/gun-deaths-children-america

Guns are now the leading cause of death for children in America

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Someone should ask him what happened to the 10 good Republicans he swore would help him with the voting rights bill

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Republicans have zero shame

It might be cathartic to ragepost about really giving them what for but it's just a waste of time

The media are also feckless but even dedicated ones are never going to nail a republican to the wall about it and get the Col. Jessup villain monologue

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I wonder if some of this was due to more kids being at home during 2020 from COVID. Since lots schools were closed and did remote learning. There's more time for them to be around the guns and the parents had to figure out how to work their 8 hours. Plus that means less kids on the road so less automobile accidents.

Not an excuse just possible explanation. If that number remains that high and continues then we've got a major problem on our hands.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I wonder if some of this was due to more kids being at home during 2020 from COVID. Since lots schools were closed and did remote learning. There's more time for them to be around the guns and the parents had to figure out how to work their 8 hours. Plus that means less kids on the road so less automobile accidents.

Not an excuse just possible explanation. If that number remains that high and continues then we've got a major problem on our hands.

Part of that was reduced deaths from vehicle accidents so COVID may be a factor yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »

This is, however, a policy choice. Where I work most fines and fees go to the general fund budget (as opposed to a special line item as required by state law) to then be used across the government. If police bring in more funds in asset forfeiture (which is what people usually think, but I'm skeptical if it's true for localities) than they expend then it would go to the general government.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    We've had a major problem on our hands since Columbine.

No I don't.
  • Options
    When this happened in Australia even the conservatives pulled their shit together and fixed the problem in 3 months

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

I look forward to SCOTUS' arguments as to why the Federal government' can't unban something

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Homicides have been up significantly in the past couple of years, in almost every part of the country.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Columbine was definitely bad, but after being prompted, I've had "fun" scrolling through this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)

And y'know, it's just...like Columbine was big, yes, but it's hard to see this and not think the problem's always been there, it's just how *much* damage they were able to do. After all, there was the UT tower shooting as well.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Columbine was definitely bad, but after being prompted, I've had "fun" scrolling through this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)

And y'know, it's just...like Columbine was big, yes, but it's hard to see this and not think the problem's always been there, it's just how *much* damage they were able to do. After all, there was the UT tower shooting as well.

Yeah, Columbine was just shorthand for always.

No I don't.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

mxmarks wrote: »
    It's been reported that Border Patrol rolled up because many of the local Border Patrols kids attend that school.

So I guess make sure your kid goes to school with a cops kid if you want any hope of someone saving them.

Wait so hold on: we basically had a federal agency go vigilante to resolve a situation that was juristiction of municial law enforcement? Am I reading this right?

Also hey apparently didn't know how to deal with a locked door!?!?!?

Fuck jut get a god damn fire extinguisher and bash the knob off! I'm a god damn moron and even I know how to do that!

Gaddez on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It's been reported that Border Patrol rolled up because many of the local Border Patrols kids attend that school.

So I guess make sure your kid goes to school with a cops kid if you want any hope of someone saving them.

Wait so hold on: we basically had a federal agency go vigilante to resolve a situation that was juristiction of municial law enforcement? Am I reading this right?

Fuck jut get a god damn fire extinguisher and bash the knob off! I'm a god damn moron and even I know how to do that!

I am guessing it's less lack of knowhow, and more not wanting to be in the line of fire because it isn't like BP is less cowardly.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

This is the flip side of turning each classroom in a fortress impregnable by a shooter during a lockdown is this scenario where the shooter gets on the locked side of the door before the whole school has time to lock down.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

If it was one of the more recent modifications to school doors like I've seen recently, I'm actually not surprised they had trouble breaking down the door. Because of said rise in school shootings and whatnot, even when I left my highschool back in the early 2000s, classroom doors were already getting pretty damn tanky. IE Steel doors with massive metal plates covering the strikeplate and deadbolt area, and installed an a separate steel frame. Short of a massive battering ram, I don't know if you could legit break those doors down without a breaching charge of some kind, that's how sturdy they were at our school anyway.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I am guessing it's less lack of knowhow, and more not wanting to be in the line of fire because it isn't like BP is less cowardly.

So why do we have the police armed to the teeth if all they do is shoot protestors?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Hey kids, don’t let your parents go to work. Refuse school, because you might die there, until the adults in your life actually elect people that will actually make laws that make your schools not death traps. Specifically gun control laws.

Trust me a bunch of middle schoolers just absolutely fuckin refusing to go to school will absolutely break parents.

Like don’t go to school, and then walk out, straight up do not let your parents go to work.

There’s totally ways kids can effectively strike.

I think there are but it really hurts the wrong people, and hurting your parent for proxy damage against the State is ??? Idk, hard sell!

I mean, ideally it would be the kids at school.with politicians kids ruining THAT or just straight up making their lives hell, as a serious effort. Pretty targeted stuff.

Though I guess grandkids is more likely since eveyone in Congress is over 100 or whatever.

Probably hurts parents less for a kid to miss school than to fucking die

I can't sustain needing to leave my job long enough for reform to get passed

I think that's the point, though. Your kid deliberately skipping school like that would put pressure on you, as their functional political leadership, to change your behavior to meet the demand they're striking for.

That's exactly the goal. It's true you don't have the fullest power to enact those changes; you have more power than the kids do, though, and you're their direct leadership.

"This protest is making my life harder" is the point (yes that's oversimplifying, but I don't mean to disparage the point your making). It makes their specific problem - lack of agency - also your problem.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

If it was one of the more recent modifications to school doors like I've seen recently, I'm actually not surprised they had trouble breaking down the door. Because of said rise in school shootings and whatnot, even when I left my highschool back in the early 2000s, classroom doors were already getting pretty damn tanky. IE Steel doors with massive metal plates covering the strikeplate and deadbolt area, and installed an a separate steel frame. Short of a massive battering ram, I don't know if you could legit break those doors down without a breaching charge of some kind, that's how sturdy they were at our school anyway.

If these pigs had any sense they should have been training in forcible entry during their SWAT dress up sessions.

Most doors are easier to defeat then you think if you have the tools and training

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee