As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just checked and Celesteela is up to 131,000 in the queue. I signed up halfway through the day yesterday (when it was "just" 85,000) and didn't get to go in when I went to bed. Here's hoping today goes better. Good thing it sucks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Are we not getting Celesteela, or is it just one we have to wait for?

I swear Niantic has some BS cap on how many excellent catches you can have per month or something. Getting real tired of Pokémon busting out of excellent throws just to flee, or even worse, get caught by a great throw.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Are we not getting Celesteela, or is it just one we have to wait for?

I swear Niantic has some BS cap on how many excellent catches you can have per month or something. Getting real tired of Pokémon busting out of excellent throws just to flee, or even worse, get caught by a great throw.

I'm sure they will switch eventually or they will give some opportunity to catch it, but who knows when that will be. I figure might as well get one for the dex now since it at least can be queued for unlike other regionals. Like I said tho, I'm legit glad I jumped on that queue early when it was only ~30-40k and stayed up until like 3am waiting on it. I nearly went to bed.

And yes, the catch rate has always been garbage. This was one of the reasons I originally quit and it's starting to creep up on me again now (it's only somewhat less frustrating because at least *now* I have the option to try again immediately thanks to remote raids vs. that may have been the only raid I get to do that day because people aren't interested in more). If I'm paying money for a raid pass, and I don't miss any balls, the thing shouldn't be running away after 20+ Great/Excellent curveball throws. It shouldn't even require most of those throws (which it usually does even if you're lucky enough to catch it). Saw a Silph Road thread on this recently too: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/xbrh46/raid_day_makes_me_miss_the_beast_ball_catch_rates/

(all this is to say nothing of the Galar birds which are just stupid and I refuse to even care about them because they basically made them impossible to catch)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The catch rate is definitely a complaint of mine. I just had a nondo Purrloin jump out of two excellent throws, but stay for an errant trash throw. Either excellent means a better catch rate or it doesn't, Niantic.

I really don't mind Legendary/Mythical Pokémon busting out of some excellent throws, in fact I expect it. But a freaking nondo Purrloin (sub 500 CP at that) escaping two excellent throws is unsat.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    The catch rate is definitely a complaint of mine. I just had a nondo Purrloin jump out of two excellent throws, but stay for an errant trash throw. Either excellent means a better catch rate or it doesn't, Niantic.

I really don't mind Legendary/Mythical Pokémon busting out of some excellent throws, in fact I expect it. But a freaking nondo Purrloin (sub 500 CP at that) escaping two excellent throws is unsat.

Oh yeah, I frequently get catches on my nothing throws over greats and excellents. I think I heard the boost you get from the circles is pretty pathetic anyways (as far as I recall, actually just making sure it's a curveball gives one of the larger rate boosts for least amount of work)

Edit: This talks about the catch rates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9XnZtJFFI

TLDW:
    Pokeball: x1
    Great ball: 1.5
    Ultra ball: 2
    Curveball: 1.7
    Razz: 1.5
    Silver Pinapp: 1.7
    Golden Razz: 2

And circle ranges from 1-2 depending on how big the circle is (basically a full Nice is useless and the absolute tiniest Excellent is x2)

When you're dealing with Legendaries that have a catch rate of 2%... yeah, these modifiers don't add THAT much. It basically changes almost no chance to a low chance.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Well, close to 10 hours later, I'm now 56,112 in the queue. Will I have to stay up late for this thing?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, close to 10 hours later, I'm now 56,112 in the queue. Will I have to stay up late for this thing?

Absolutely

Also woo, I'm satisfied
    epxtbb6zw0ei.png

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah got a Kartana today with my kids. Pretty happy.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I got one when a dude from the netherlands sent me a raid invite. Glad I was looking at my phone. Man that's a tiny catch.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Sigh, nothing like waiting ~an hour in queue only to have the host send the invitation apparently like two seconds before the raid timer ended because the button to join didn't show up and backing out and going back in didn't even show the raid boss, just that gym's defending pokemon -_- (at least I'm assuming that's what happened here.. It's not like PoGo makes any of this shit clear to the player, it just looks like the game is busted)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I don't even know what to say to this

WTF is that Ultra Box pricing? Where the hell is my Adventure Box? (also, come on Niantic, if you're gonna keep limiting Remote Raid Passes to a stupid "3" why do you keep putting them in boxes? It makes it hard to actually buy said boxes without spending some first)

Edit:

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    The good news is those aren't remote passes but premium passes, which aren't limited to 3.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Which is nice, but the old, roughly $15 bundle had more stuff in it - usually things like five star pieces or so, which are 100 coins a la carte. This is less value for more money.

Niantic's been experimenting with different kinds of bundles lately, but this is the second round of a crappy 1,900 box. Either they really want this to work or the whales are biting.

Granted the value of the 1480 box had been creeping up over time, but this is a hell of a way to reign things back in.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    The good news is those aren't remote passes but premium passes, which aren't limited to 3.

They are cut off in the thumbnails but there's remote passes in 2/3 of those boxes. Honestly I wouldn't mind remote passes in the boxes if they weren't so limited. The 299 box was fine - that was basically 3 remote passes for 1 coin cheaper (for some reason?) + some bonus stuff, so it was basically the same as buying remote passes. I definitely ran into some cases during Go Fest where I wanted to buy a box but couldn't because I was full on remote passes. (It's really just more annoying than anything else.. wish they'd just let us hold more than 3 + whatever leftovers since it lets you buy if you have < 3 left)
    Which is nice, but the old, roughly $15 bundle had more stuff in it - usually things like five star pieces or so, which are 100 coins a la carte. This is less value for more money.

Niantic's been experimenting with different kinds of bundles lately, but this is the second round of a crappy 1,900 box. Either they really want this to work or the whales are biting.

Granted the value of the 1480 box had been creeping up over time, but this is a hell of a way to reign things back in.

And yeah, I was actually giving them the benefit of the doubt after last time that they were *only* being greedy and taking them away for Go Fest. But that box still isn't back a month later :/ Meanwhile I have like no super incubators. Actually bought the community day box FOR the super incubators because it was a better deal than the actual other boxes in there (but of course that's a one-timer buy).

Also it's not 1900 this time, it's 2299, even MORE expensive for basically the same stuff as the previously 1900 ones.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    In other sales bundle silliness I couldn’t buy the bundle that included extra storage because I didn’t have enough storage. That needs fixing.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    In other sales bundle silliness I couldn’t buy the bundle that included extra storage because I didn’t have enough storage. That needs fixing.

It's honestly a little dumb what they "count" as taking up storage in this game. Special event passes, gifts, etc really should not be taking up space IMO. But then stuff like eggs do not. It's kinda weird and arbitrary. But I doubt it's ever getting fixed because it's been like that for six years.

• Options
    If Niantic wants to be buttholes with incubators and prices then they need to add the option to delete eggs. At this point I only care about purple eggs and won't be wasting time with the others.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

It's honestly a little dumb what they "count" as taking up storage in this game. Special event passes, gifts, etc really should not be taking up space IMO. But then stuff like eggs do not. It's kinda weird and arbitrary. But I doubt it's ever getting fixed because it's been like that for six years.

So what you're saying is they'll have eggs take up space but still not able to be deleted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Preacher wrote: »

So what you're saying is they'll have eggs take up space but still not able to be deleted.
    Incubating Eggs already take up Pokémon slots.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Well, my Celesteela slot came up at 5 am, so I had to start again. Started at 190,00 people deep, and four hours later I'm at 183,000 people deep.

At this point I'll be lucky if I get the damn thing before the event ends.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hmm caught my first shiny with Roggenrola... And then another a few minutes later haha

Well he looks nifty evolved at least

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I didn't see a single shiny but did evolve one with good EVs and at least got it up to the point that I need XL candies.
    Well, my Celesteela slot came up at 5 am, so I had to start again. Started at 190,00 people deep, and four hours later I'm at 183,000 people deep.

I've given up on it, I'm sure next time it rolls around it'll be in the north.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    I didn't see a single shiny but did evolve one with good EVs and at least got it up to the point that I need XL candies.

I've given up on it, I'm sure next time it rolls around it'll be in the north.

I wouldn't count on it; they kept the lake guardians in their original spots in their second go-round.

I'm generally down with the concept of regional Pokemon - the game wants you to get out and go, after all. But putting regionals in extremely time-limited raids is silly.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I'm too focused on farming Kartana to care much about Celesteela.

Screenshot_20220917-185217.png?width=294&height=636

I managed to catch this lovely fellow the other day, I am planning on leveling it up to 50 so I've been grinding the raids to get enough XL candy. Should be finished with that by the end of raid hour tomorrow. From all the raids I've been doing I have five other 95%+ ones that I should be able to collectively level up to 30 for the ultimate grass attacker team.

Ruldar on
  • Options
    edited September 2022

So I did some googling and found some PoGo raid discord. It's sort of a "who can click fastest" thing so I've actually been able to get two more Celesteelas out of that without sitting in that stupid PokeGenie queue. Might be worth a try. (All of them were shit 2*s btw... I seriously just want one 3* and I'll be satisfied). Also keep in mind, at least in the one I joined, some people are super dumb and will post the wrong raids in the Celesteela channel. To these people, I deleted them and didn't join the raid because stop being a jerk (it seriously happened twice to me.. figures the ones I get in are bogus).

I actually ultimately joined it to try and get a Kyurem raid but looks like those are over? I dunno, the channel disappeared and I didn't get one T_T I'll have to wait until he comes back in a non-stupid way (i.e. not in a promotion only taking place in like three spots in the world at McDonald's gyms only apparently?). Wish I'd joined during raid hour last week because it looked like there were a TON of them going on while everyone else was doing Kartanas :/ (think I literally found this discord the day after)

Edit: Oh, and

Woo, time to finally get a Furfrou :3 I wonder how the different trims work here. Will they be spawning in the wild? I know they are region-based but like, there's also Furfrous in 1* raids so... (edit: So if I'm reading this right, you can only pick trims if you are physically in that region? So like, if I wanted a different trim I'd actually have to go to Japan or whatever and "trim" it while there?)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

So I did some googling and found some PoGo raid discord. It's sort of a "who can click fastest" thing so I've actually been able to get two more Celesteelas out of that without sitting in that stupid PokeGenie queue. Might be worth a try. (All of them were shit 2*s btw... I seriously just want one 3* and I'll be satisfied). Also keep in mind, at least in the one I joined, some people are super dumb and will post the wrong raids in the Celesteela channel. To these people, I deleted them and didn't join the raid because stop being a jerk (it seriously happened twice to me.. figures the ones I get in are bogus).

I actually ultimately joined it to try and get a Kyurem raid but looks like those are over? I dunno, the channel disappeared and I didn't get one T_T I'll have to wait until he comes back in a non-stupid way (i.e. not in a promotion only taking place in like three spots in the world at McDonald's gyms only apparently?). Wish I'd joined during raid hour last week because it looked like there were a TON of them going on while everyone else was doing Kartanas :/ (think I literally found this discord the day after)

Edit: Oh, and

Woo, time to finally get a Furfrou :3 I wonder how the different trims work here. Will they be spawning in the wild? I know they are region-based but like, there's also Furfrous in 1* raids so... (edit: So if I'm reading this right, you can only pick trims if you are physically in that region? So like, if I wanted a different trim I'd actually have to go to Japan or whatever and "trim" it while there?)

That's right. It's spend some stardust/candy, pick a trim, some trims are regional. If I'm remembering right there was one trim that was timed, too.

At any rate, finally got into a Celesteela raid at 2 pm yesterday after 3 1/2 days of waiting.

Sorry you didn't find a Kyurem, but if it helps, that mon absolutely sucks in PoGo since it doesn't have an ice-type fast move. Kinda interesting to see which Pokemon are viable and which are not in this game compared to the main games.

• Options
    That's right. It's spend some stardust/candy, pick a trim, some trims are regional. If I'm remembering right there was one trim that was timed, too.

At any rate, finally got into a Celesteela raid at 2 pm yesterday after 3 1/2 days of waiting.

Sorry you didn't find a Kyurem, but if it helps, that mon absolutely sucks in PoGo since it doesn't have an ice-type fast move. Kinda interesting to see which Pokemon are viable and which are not in this game compared to the main games.

Yeah, that's kind of what it looked like after I searched on it more. And woo! Grats :D

And yeah, I just wanted one for the dex. It'll come back I'm sure, just annoying I couldn't get one now.

• Options
    No one was downtown for the raid hour today which is a shame.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    urahonky wrote: »

I don't think there was one? Maybe I'm wrong.

Also woo, my first submitted pokestop is now in the voting stage. This one is like a model stop so if it doesn't get approved I'd be shocked. Crossing my fingers on the second one too which I finally submitted yesterday :3 (it's inside a restaurant so it's kinda a crapshoot on whether reviewers are dumb or not.. because god forbid Niantic give clear guidelines for this kinda thing, or you know, update their original guidelines every time they clarify something)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

Also woo, my first submitted pokestop is now in the voting stage. This one is like a model stop so if it doesn't get approved I'd be shocked. Crossing my fingers on the second one too which I finally submitted yesterday :3 (it's inside a restaurant so it's kinda a crapshoot on whether reviewers are dumb or not.. because god forbid Niantic give clear guidelines for this kinda thing, or you know, update their original guidelines every time they clarify something)

Yeah there were a bunch of Kartana's around that spawned exactly at 6pm. But it's kind of a boring pokemon so that could be it. Next week is the Pokemon Y legendary so hopefully I can get a group together.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Yeah there were a bunch of Kartana's around that spawned exactly at 6pm. But it's kind of a boring pokemon so that could be it. Next week is the Pokemon Y legendary so hopefully I can get a group together.

Kartana is the best grass attacker by a wide margin and will also stay top for a long time / forever. But it's also easy to duo, so people probably just don't group up.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    god damn kartana ran away

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, every Wednesday at 6 is raid hour.

Kartana doesn't seem to be the most popular poke to raid - it's the most powerful grass attacker, but it's really, really glassy.

• Options
    Kartana is like Darkrai and Gengar; glass canons. Darkrai isn't as bad as Gengar, but zoinks yo. I feel like you need six Kartana to be effective in a raid boss battle.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I tried using Kartana vs. a water (or rock? I forget) Rocket Grunt and they just absolutely destroyed it in 2 seconds :P Maybe it works better in a raid setting, I dunno :P But either way, still happy to keep my two Roserades around :3 (still can't believe I got a lucky hundo... thank god it was on a Pokemon that's actually useful)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Man duo? I went in with my son, daughter and best friend and we got wrecked. Granted if we had 10 more seconds we would have got em.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    god damn kartana ran away

Yeah, that pic of the maxed out one at 2626 just makes me more pissed that I wasn't able to capture this one that was at like 2606 or something like that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I tried using Kartana vs. a water (or rock? I forget) Rocket Grunt and they just absolutely destroyed it in 2 seconds :P Maybe it works better in a raid setting, I dunno :P But either way, still happy to keep my two Roserades around :3 (still can't believe I got a lucky hundo... thank god it was on a Pokemon that's actually useful)

PvE and PvP (which also includes Rockets) use different mechanics, yes.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    The Kartana buddy animations are wonderful.

https://youtu.be/sUzF3h4V6Fo

• Options
    Man duo? I went in with my son, daughter and best friend and we got wrecked. Granted if we had 10 more seconds we would have got em.

Yeah, when a legendary is considered duo-able, it's assuming both of you have full squads of really powerful counters, all leveled up to at least level 40 (the point at which you have to switch to candy XL) or beyond, all with the best moves. And the legendary isn't weather-boosted.

Which is much higher requirements than soloing a non-Shuckle three-star, before anyone snarks. :P