Options

Can't live with [Jobs], Can't live without [Jobs]

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Look I don't come into your place of business and tell you how to do your jobs

Everyone knows that's how you get your way in retail.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Because it's hard to get places when you're covered in honey?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Please get off the clocks I can solve the problem you're creating, f***

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

But could you?

Consultants get paid assloads of money to come into our places of business and tell us how to do our jobs

So what I'm saying is I'll pay you money for you to tell me what to do daddy

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

I'm 89% honey by volume at this point I'm basically a C-List batman villain.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023

z307cax4qcvo.jpeg

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

only if you're also covered in beeeeees

(bees, my god)

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I once had to explain to our procurement team why we should allow the fuckin maintenance planner to have MS Project. Like sure, I get it. Control bloat and unsafe software. Don’t make us go 4 weeks and about 10 back-and-forths to get it. They asked why, if it’s so important, is he only getting it now? I had to delicately explain that everyone got frustrated the last time they tried to get the software approved and just gave up

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Batman

Beeman?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Someone on my staff is putting in leave requests that basically amount to "can I just not come to work, I don't want any kind of paid leave, I just don't want to come" and I'm struggling to find enough nice ways to say "no."

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    HR doesn’t have a policy about that? I’d be redirecting him there and letting them be the bad guys in this situation

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Someone on my staff is putting in leave requests that basically amount to "can I just not come to work, I don't want any kind of paid leave, I just don't want to come" and I'm struggling to find enough nice ways to say "no."

Jesus that sounds like a bad case of burnout.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Thankfully it's just that he's trying to juggle grad school and work and we've already been very accommodating with his hours to allow him to do both but because he's part time he doesn't get very much leave and he's trying to get multiple holiday weekends off, when he only works weekends. I get it, the job isn't his first or even second priority, but if he can't do any of what I need when I've already gone out of my way to help him it's frustrating.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Today was my last day of work for two weeks. Going to Japan Sunday for vacation + meeting fiancé’s family. I also spent 20 hours doing a project for my last job that I think pays for the entire trip for us. So that was tiring but worth it.

Good timing - you may juuuust catch the end of the cherry blossoms, depending on where you visit.
    Speaking of which I put together a cherry blossom party for the office on Friday that was real good fun until it started pouring later in the afternoon, but despite that lots of folks said they had a good time. I’m very fortunate to have a director who I can ask if it’s cool to invite everyone to start drinking in the park halfway through a Friday and will not only say yes but come out and join us.

At the airport now! Our friend who lives there says the blossoms are still going

• Options
    Thankfully it's just that he's trying to juggle grad school and work and we've already been very accommodating with his hours to allow him to do both but because he's part time he doesn't get very much leave and he's trying to get multiple holiday weekends off, when he only works weekends. I get it, the job isn't his first or even second priority, but if he can't do any of what I need when I've already gone out of my way to help him it's frustrating.

yeah, that's more of a... "look, you have my sympathies, but when you completely fill your entire schedule, this is what happens."

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I mean, this just reinforces the burnout prognosis. He is so busy he doesn't even know he's burned out. I've been there.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man, I wish whoever wrote this defect didn't shorten 'Online Forms' to OF, because when I read 'Click through to the OF logon page' my brain does not resolve that the same way they wrote it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

I mean, this just reinforces the burnout prognosis. He is so busy he doesn't even know he's burned out. I've been there.

Again, IMO, no. This is a case of past-him either thinking that he could do everything he wanted/needed to, with the (significant) tradeoff being absolutely no time off, and believing he'd be okay with that... or not even considering the problem until he'd already made the arrangement. :\

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seems like both! First the bad planning, then trying to slog through life with a gearbox rattling full of sheared-off teeth.

You can get burned out slowly over time after making a lot of good choices, but speedrunning it doesn't make it not burnout.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah that’s still burnout doesn’t really matter who’s fault it is.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So i am going out soon to get my brakes done, then doing two shifts since historically they have been poorly covered today and a valied teammate having serious injury was not fleek for the situation. Then I plan to stay up extra late for my graveyard shift tomorrow

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What in the flying fuck happened to power BL office 360 ? Jesus fucking Christ what is this bullshit

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Again, IMO, no. This is a case of past-him either thinking that he could do everything he wanted/needed to, with the (significant) tradeoff being absolutely no time off, and believing he'd be okay with that... or not even considering the problem until he'd already made the arrangement. :\

"You are victim of capitalism but yet you still participate in it?!"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Came in this morning to possibly one of our biggest scrap events in the last 3 years.

All of this due to two operators (both of whom I would describe mildly as "doo doo ass poop from a butt") not doing the basic quality checks they are required to do.

On the one hand: I laugh. I giggle and cavort.

On the other: Dang. Damn.

Honestly, one of the reasons I want to get out of production in the long run is because I always worry I'm gonna forget one thing and end up staring down a metaphorical firing squad. This anxiety is despite the fact I have had only one quality incident in my almost 8 years here and that technically wasn't even me. It was the chucklehead I was training, but since I didn't realize what he was doing I caught the pip.

Anyway, hope they get a paddlin'.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *deep sigh of relief*

Yay. The environment breaking was not directly my fault. It was a small oversight another admin did. I was afraid some of the work I did last week caused the issues, because of the timing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Fuckin' asshole caller at work kept on just saying "do to my account what your coworker B did for my colleague A." How about you tell me what you need! When he FINALLY did after I asked for details the 4th time... Turns out his issue was totally routine! Christ what a dick.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I spent the Monday morning of my week off getting up at my usual time so I could go to the DMV because my employer got hacked and the entire HR database for all employees was compromised. SSN, bank account numbers for direct deposit, every bit of info related to health insurance, fingerprints, and any documents used to verify identity upon hire such as passports or, in my case, driver's license number and info. Then they waited 54 days after discovery to inform us mere employees. During this time several of my coworkers had money disappearing out of their accounts, one person had their entire account drained.

Oh and they informed us by dropping letters in the mail after a news outlet read the press release they got Friday at end of business and did a story over the weekend.

I've been lucky in that for me the driver's license has been the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. No money or fraudulent charges or withdrawls on my accounts. There's a bank branch for me just a short walk from my site. So I took care of all the bank stuff and credit report/freeze stuff during work hours because they weren't gonna give us time off to deal with it. But the DMV required me to schedule an appointment, have a police report, and a notarized form. I had to pay $5 to get a copy of the police report I fucking filed, and then $40 for the reissue of a new license with a new number. On the first day of my week off.

At least I was done and leaving the DMV at 8:24 for my 8:25am appointment though.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    I spent the Monday morning of my week off getting up at my usual time so I could go to the DMV because my employer got hacked and the entire HR database for all employees was compromised. SSN, bank account numbers for direct deposit, every bit of info related to health insurance, fingerprints, and any documents used to verify identity upon hire such as passports or, in my case, driver's license number and info. Then they waited 54 days after discovery to inform us mere employees. During this time several of my coworkers had money disappearing out of their accounts, one person had their entire account drained.

Oh and they informed us by dropping letters in the mail after a news outlet read the press release they got Friday at end of business and did a story over the weekend.

I've been lucky in that for me the driver's license has been the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. No money or fraudulent charges or withdrawls on my accounts. There's a bank branch for me just a short walk from my site. So I took care of all the bank stuff and credit report/freeze stuff during work hours because they weren't gonna give us time off to deal with it. But the DMV required me to schedule an appointment, have a police report, and a notarized form. I had to pay $5 to get a copy of the police report I fucking filed, and then $40 for the reissue of a new license with a new number. On the first day of my week off.

At least I was done and leaving the DMV at 8:24 for my 8:25am appointment though.

Oh god it is my biggest fear.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Walked in to work right before midnight to see that a bunch of folks were involved in what's known as a 'reset' in the produce department; for those who are unfamiliar, it's a redesign according to schematic based upon the season. So that's a huge fly in the ointment for me in overnight production since my position relies upon consistency. Also, I clocked out at 8:30 this morning and they were still at it with no signs of stopping. For multiple reasons, there has also been a substantial fuck-up ordering produce that I rely upon, to the tune of not making OJ for almost three straight days; the OJ is my number one priority and not having it places a spotlight on me with our brand new GM, which (thankfully, blessedly) she diplomatically chewed the ass out of my boss and grand-boss. I like her already.

But I also think I made a very constructive decision today in that I gave my boss a very enticing incentive and a very quiet warning in my request: get me a counterpart that works with me on roughly the same schedule.

Incentive: I can massively improve my production responsibilities with a second pair of hands to coordinate tasks; the potential to double my output is very real and my utility to the team would be even more substantial.

Warning: I nearly died from viral pneumonia more than twenty years ago and that derailed my life in the military, something that was extremely important to me. I suffered catastrophic weight loss as well as a host of medical issues & compensation injuries. It also put me in a very, very dark place, the kind of place it takes years for people to come back from if they come back at all. Currently, I am plateau-ing with regards to efficiency, but I'm 45 now, not the 18-year-old who just graduated high school and started waiting tables. I can't realistically push much harder, the gains would be minimal and the risk of injury grows. And I don't mean I-have-a-boo-boo-ouchie, but real injury, life-altering, permanent damage to a body that's already been through some serious shit. For obvious reasons, that terrifies the ever-living FUCK out of me, as it rightly should. Consistently working myself to the limits of exhaustion puts the possibility of major injury in the realm of 'when' instead of 'if.'

Now, to some it would sound like clever little way to slack off at work and I'm certain others in the past have tried it; but, I know who and what I am, and slacking is just not something that I've allowed to take root in my spirit.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I'll know if I got the job Friday. Boss told me if I get it I need to make sure I keep my schedule clear for July 24th-30th because whoever gets the job will be going to our Nova Scotia plant for some kinda something.

God, I hope I get it. Fuck the money it's one week of company paid poutine time, mother fuckers!

Juggernut on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I'll know if I got the job Friday. Boss told me if I get it I need to make sure I keep my schedule clear for July 24th-30th because whoever gets the job will be going to our Nova Scotia plant for some kinda something.

God, I hope I get it. Fuck the money it's one week of company paid poutine time, mother fuckers!

Nova Scotia means all you can eat lobster restaurants.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Nova Scotia means all you can eat lobster restaurants.

That, too, mother fuckers!

• Options
    Company paid poutine and all you can eat lobsters?

You’d have to use a wheelbarrow to cart me away

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got to have another fun interaction with my bosses where they didn't read what I had written for them ahead of time then edited what I wrote purely just to move phrases around and change words for the most pointless of reasons.

I am fucking miserable, holy shit.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Got to have another fun interaction with my bosses where they didn't read what I had written for them ahead of time then edited what I wrote purely just to move phrases around and change words for the most pointless of reasons.

Ah yes, let's disrespect your time by not doing our pre-work, then disrespect your time more by making you do some trivial edits while we look on so we feel important and "have contributed"

Fuck that noise, hope you get that new job soon.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Is poutine with lobster a thing, or would that be heresy?

Alternatively, should it be a thing?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Here sits Bottomless Orca, nature's cruelest mistake.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Not quite a job thing, but sorta?

The guy who was the majority owner of the company I used to work for (who also owned an e-sports betting company, and various crypto scams) posted on Facebook today about how we need to focus harder on AI, because AI is the only surefire way to prevent more school shootings before they happen.

The only way.

I kind of want to stab him in his stupid eyeballs.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Ah yes, let's disrespect your time by not doing our pre-work, then disrespect your time more by making you do some trivial edits while we look on so we feel important and "have contributed"

Fuck that noise, hope you get that new job soon.

Motivated me to finish my application for another position, so that's almost done. I also vented with a coworker and told them about planning to leave after they asked if I was looking for a new job and they said "yeah it makes a lot of sense and I don't blame you at all. If I had to interact with them as much as you I probably would've also left. They're just assholes"

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My favorite part of today's customer madness was a salesperson having the nerve to suggest that if the engineers in X department were objecting to doing something for liability reasons, then maybe those engineers didn't understand the technology, followed by a link explaining SAML.

I'm like. Gurl.

This was after a call with this group where it was clear they didn't understand how clustering works in our software's architecture, an incredibly basic topic that even the lowliest support drone understands.

And the cherry on top was that she said this to the lead manager for that entire department, who is also an engineer.

God I hope my currently open support ticket regarding our heavy forwarder cluster falls on someone who understands that topic...

No worries, you won't be getting any sales engineer on your support ticket.

Also I would really like to rant more about the whiniest customer, but unfortunately anything more I say will be telling on myself (and another company's executive) too much, so from on on its for my husband's ears only.

The last thing I'll say is that the whole reason you pay an identity vendor to begin with is so that you don't have to go around manually changing a bunch of users, you absolute muppet.

Speaking of talking shit about a sales engineer. I might be becoming one? Maybe?
    It's actually post sales, and helping customers with integration and what not, that are sort of outside the scope of a case. 3rd round of interview is tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.