Options

The Decline of Western [Twitter]ization

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    I wouldn’t hide if I posted on a QC forum. Long running sitcom comic is something I could explain without the last decade plus of context. Posting on a forum for a gamer webcomic I also don’t read does not offer such easy roads. Not made easier by the fact I also don’t really play video games
    I just say 'the forums', y'ain't gotta explain they aren't a freestanding entity. (I have --because I can't help but out myself-- but mostly in the context of, "Have you heard of PAX?" It's a *handwave* general interest thing!) And I come by nerd hyperfocus naturally, so my best beloveds aren't judging me to my face, at least.

Oh I’m definitely being pretty tongue in cheek. My online and offline life don’t actually cross pollinate conversationally so I doubt it would even come up.

Though I think it’s my nerdy friends who’d give me hell about it. My friends who are like carpenters and waitstaff etc would just think that I was talking about a really cheap arcade.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Post did a whole duplicate

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I get to feel like a pioneer for leaving twitter a year again.

Oh yeah? I never signed up and have never willingly seen a tweet.

Someone who doesn't have the internet is more pure than I am, but they also won't be able to gloat in here so I think I win.

I made an account on a date a million years ago because the girl said she'd message me there. Date ended poorly, so I never logged in.

So I have a sorta unwilling account that has never been used.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Coinage wrote: »
    Posting is just free to play MMORPG

My main class is Dipshit

from Chicago?

A Chicago Dipshit???

Nay, nay

(I have no idea what your reference is sorry if I ruined a joke)

(Star Trek reference. Captain Shaw, from the latest season of ST Picard, describes himself as such. Comes across as a bit of an asshole at first, but he admits to that too, and we find out later he's got his reasons.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A duck! wrote: »

Oh yeah? I never signed up and have never willingly seen a tweet.

Someone who doesn't have the internet is more pure than I am, but they also won't be able to gloat in here so I think I win.

I made an account on a date a million years ago because the girl said she'd message me there. Date ended poorly, so I never logged in.

So I have a sorta unwilling account that has never been used.

At least you had the best possible reason for signing up.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I deleted my account mainly out of security concerns, wasn't sure what was linked to what and didn't want to risk bots getting to other accounts of mine through twitter once the security starts failing. I've been tempted to make a new account I'm sure is unlinked just to follow a few folks until it finishes burning down but I'm too lazy.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I barely ever posted to twitter and just used it to follow people, so when I decided to nuke my account I just deleted all my tweets, likes, retweets, followers and follows and changed my password.

Account is still there, but it's a completely hollow shell.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I think I’ve mentioned before that my old job had a regular booth at PAX, and generally a large chunk of us worked the show every year. And still, when I mentioned Penny Arcade the webcomic, not a single person at work was aware it bore any connection to PAX the convention.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    God my head hurts from that, like being verified is just literally paying 8 dollars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t hide if I posted on a QC forum. Long running sitcom comic is something I could explain without the last decade plus of context. Posting on a forum for a gamer webcomic I also don’t read does not offer such easy roads. Not made easier by the fact I also don’t really play video games
    I just say 'the forums', y'ain't gotta explain they aren't a freestanding entity. (I have --because I can't help but out myself-- but mostly in the context of, "Have you heard of PAX?" It's a *handwave* general interest thing!) And I come by nerd hyperfocus naturally, so my best beloveds aren't judging me to my face, at least.

My wife is aware of "the forums," she has a vague understanding of "those people you bother with your bullshit," that seems to be enough for her

• Options

My wife is aware of "the forums," she has a vague understanding of "those people you bother with your bullshit," that seems to be enough for her

Sounds about right.
    (jk we love your bullshit insider stories)

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

That's more or less where my wife is at, too. Except she's more impressed when I use some parenting technique I learned her.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    My wife always wonders why I'm still on the forums, which you know fair.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't even tell the forums about the forums.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One of my wife's best friends is in a long-term relationship with one of my best friends, and he's someone I met here, and yet this is nonetheless "That place where you get all worked up about AI or Final Fantasy or whatever"

Which is honestly just proof that she's way smarter than me

• Options
    My wife reads reddit she can't ever talk shit about my foruming.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't even tell the forums about the forums.

Well, that's so we don't know when The Sorrow of the Hound is finished.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The only reason I've had to talk elsewhere online about these forums recently was on the Ranged Touch podcast channels' Discord, because of their Homestuck podcast and talking about the differences between SE++ forum culture and Something Awful forum culture in the context of pre-Tumblr culture around MS Paint Adventures (seeing as Andrew Hussie used both forums and both forums influenced that webcomic)

Otherwise yeah I just call this place "those old-school forums I still use for some reason" or "The Forums" for short

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    sometimes i post

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The thing is that UK feminist circles are transphobic in a way that US feminists rejected in the Third Wave, which is why there is such a massive difference between the two, and why TERFs don't have the degree of institutional support in the US that they have in the UK, to the point that the US branch of the Guardian has publicly distanced themselves from their parent over the position.

Which is why you're seeing them pivot to freedom of speech arguments, which have always been the refuge of scoundrels, and have always played well with the Chait set, because it's something they've been so open minded about that their brains fell out a long time ago.

? There are a lot of states doing some pretty fucked up shit and I'm doubtful if even the democrats get elected in those states they'd repeal the legislation

Liberals don't stand for anything so they'll take the easy way out of rolling over

I'd call a political party making laws institutional support but that's just me

In the UK, the nominal center-left is openly and blatantly transphobic, and there is a core thread of transphobia in UK feminism. That's not the case in the US, in large part because US feminism rejected the idea of a common female experience in the Third Wave with its embrace of intersectionality, which is why TERFs are persona non grata in US feminist circles. Yes, transgender people are under attack from a right wing political position that is looking for an "other" they can villify, but the UK position is that transphobia is the nominal position on both sides of the aisle. And I think it's telling that TERFs in the US make freedom of speech appeals (that is, they argue that they're obliged to get a seat at the table because anything else would be "censorship") in defense of their position, and not the biological essentialism you see in the UK.

That isn’t what US TERFs are doing though, US TERFs are joining the right wing in screaming about medical transition for kids, up to and including to an alarming extreme that doesn’t match actual practices in order to terrify ignorant cisgender folk who still think trans people are weird.

Like this has been Jesse Singal’s whole vector of attack

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sometimes i post

lies and calumny

• Options
    I share stuff I read and/or post here ("else-forum") with people on a few geeky Discords, and at least one friend I hang out with on IRC (yeah we're fuckin' old).

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’d check how many tweets on have made, but you know I tried to log in to Twitter today to find out but it is such a broken service more I can’t log in to it anymore.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    sometimes i post

self own

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm pretty open about postin' with my pals but it's also because my friend groups have crossed back and forth several times with forumers and those beyond

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    My girlfriend is aware of this place in the sense that we went on a very long road trip through more boring parts of the country in the heat of the AI Art Thread Wars.

Based on that she said maybe I should stick to twitter.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, my significant lover is aware of this place.

*koff*

They're very aware of this place. They know all about it I show them it all the time when we're together dating in uh italy with each other irl

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    One of my wife's best friends is in a long-term relationship with one of my best friends, and he's someone I met here, and yet this is nonetheless "That place where you get all worked up about AI or Final Fantasy or whatever"

Which is honestly just proof that she's way smarter than me

and yet somehow still the best social media option I have available to me. Ask them how scrolling through facebook is going.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    So is twitter still doge, or have you all dropped it like an anime you all claimed you liked until I watched it and then "oh man preacher I can't believe watched ass samurai like some kind of deviant."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    sometimes i post

4r0c21mm52z3.jpg

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    So is twitter still doge, or have you all dropped it like an anime you all claimed you liked until I watched it and then "oh man preacher I can't believe watched ass samurai like some kind of deviant."

do you think anyone there can figure out how to change it again this quickly

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

do you think anyone there can figure out how to change it again this quickly

True facts

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    For all the stupid shit this motherfucker is doing with twitter always remember: It is still bleeding money left and right and he is categorically incapable of making decisions that will stem that loss, let alone start making it profitable again.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    This motherfucker still is probably trying to figure out how to make twitter a bank

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Youtube is telling me Kiefer Sutherland is some kind of musician now? Why?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

2017 bruh. Welcome to the elimination of self flagellation side.

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

2017 bruh. Welcome to the elimination of self flagellation side.

I mean I do miss the self blood letting, it made me feel good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Posting is just free to play MMORPG

My main class is Dipshit

from Chicago?

A Chicago Dipshit???

Nay, nay

(I have no idea what your reference is sorry if I ruined a joke)

(Star Trek reference. Captain Shaw, from the latest season of ST Picard, describes himself as such. Comes across as a bit of an asshole at first, but he admits to that too, and we find out later he's got his reasons.)
    Captain Shaw is such a great character.

Dude has had bullshit after bullshit thing heaped on his plate day in and day out, and the guy just sighs, gets on with the work, and then drinks

The most relatable captain

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So Eve6 got their account nuked for impersonation over the weekend. They made a new one, but there was some concerns it was really the same person.
    So here's a tweet of them performing their big hit

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.