As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Strategy locked in commander. Very well...Engage!

1161718192022»

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I think the last level took an hour on hard/casual for me with no grinding at all. Not sure how it took so long honestly. Just have Lynn use her engage attack to murder things at range.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It can definitely take a while if you have a compulsion to kill absolutely everything or get every combat voice line to feel like you thoroughly won.

You may as well use buff items while walking around the map on turns you can't hit something, no reason to hold back on them and you most likely don't need more than 2 weapons per unit for the final battles. Have a dodge tank dagger user fully stack poison on the boss, chances are they can also eventually solo kill them without ever taking damage if their avoid is high enough (Yunaka + Lyn was able to attack every turn without worry of retaliation). 4+ range attackers have no counters from the boss and are great for softening up each gem before breaking them to prevent a counter.
    There are 3 rounds of 4 dark emblems + minions, but you definitely can kill the boss before going through them all; I downed him on the second wave after seeing what was up. You also don't have to even kill all 4, if you leave one alive you drastically cut down on reinforcements and the dark emblem isn't going to walk around and get himself killed meaning once you clear the minions you can focus on the boss with 25% damage reduction only, or just finish off the dark emblem when you want that last extra 25% damage.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I've got time until Advance Wars so I'm starting my long overdue NG+ Golden Deer run and it just hits you in the face how much better the visuals and UI are in Engage over Three Houses.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I thought the menus were a mess in Engage. Not intuitive at all compared to 3H.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The last boss is a joke on non-Maddening difficulties if you cheese him with daggers while standing next to Alear for the passive to juice your damage high enough deal at least one damage. Because your dagger person likely has high Avo you can just sit there whittling down the first HP bar while the rest of your squad handles the enemies tied to his shield. Once the shield was done, I got through all three remaining health bars in one turn. I assume there are another 2-3 waves of Super Enemies once his shield goes back up, and I was expecting the shield to go back up once a single HP bar was down.

I finished the Xenologue and it is very meh. It’s such as bizarre implementation: the dlc uses preset levels, classes, and items so you can tackle it at any time…except bonds, supports, and skills. And it seems balanced around that, so if you do it too early it may be frustrating. Yet doing it too late means the rewards might be useless as you’re in too far to add another character/class to the roster. And you have to play it on every save file if you want those rewards. I have no idea what they were thinking.

The story is fine, but I have a soft spot for the alternate Four Hounds so your mileage will vary. It has one RIDICULOUS oversight (major spoilers for the main campaign)
    because the DLC can be entered starting at chapter 6, the story of the Xenologue can never mention Alear being Sombron’s child. This is bad enough given that the two new characters of the DLC are themselves Fell Dragons abused by Sombron, but it’s also strongly hinted that alternate Alear was never a Fell Dragon and simply born a Divine Dragon. So the idea another world’s Divine Dragon is also a Fell Dragon would have likely generated a reaction.

You can argue it’s not terribly important in the grand scheme of the DLC’s plot, but considering the narrative is more of dead end unrelated to the main story that just wants to show you alternate versions of characters, this feels like a weird detail to miss!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    The story and characters are lame-o this time around - im finding it a chore just thinking about completing the final bits as the writing has sucked all my motivation dry.

• Options
    Maybe it’s the low expectations I had, but what’s there had potential to be solid if not amazing. There are clear themes running underneath everything, but it’s got huge execution issues with pacing and just general writing overall. Dialogue is rough (English anyways) and half the cast just ceases to matter in the plot as it becomes the Alear Show.

Basically I feel like I understand what the story was going for, but it’s kind of a mess getting that across in a fun or interesting way. Doesn’t help it came off Three Houses, a story that, while had its own share of issues, was a lot more focused and also shooting for something more ambitious than kill the Evil Lizard.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Final death toll in SoV: 6, all in the final battle(Hard/Classic).

I enjoyed the game, but Hard made it way too not-fun, even with the Turnwheel. Too many BS crits and endless waves of reinforcements stacking the deck for the enemy.

I liked the ending, even if
    Alm and Celica becoming a couple feels a bit... worrisome? Maybe I'm just too firmly on team Clair.

Also, Berkut was a scumbug and death was too good for him.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I really hope they fix the economy like really don't have the patience for not being able to buy anything in 2023.

I will say the stinginess of the game's systems was a big detractor for me.

And yeah the main story was kind if eh. It focuses in the main character and his family but the problem is none of them are interesting.

I still liked the game cause of the gameplay but it really was doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Wuff.

I spent like six hours over the weekend trying to salvage an attempt at the last chapter of the Fell Xenologue (on Hard). That didn't feel great. I suppose my mistake was splitting up into two teams at one point, where both ended up getting overwhelmed by the constant reinforcements in the "final" phase.

I guess I might give it another go, but unless things go really well in the initial stages I'll just drop the difficulty.

//

Update: I returned to the Somniel, and just took an evening planning my team, maxing bond levels with certain emblems, and tweaking skills. Then I went back into the Fell Xenologue and...
    ...just really boogied. And kept everyone together.

The first time through, like I said, I sent a third of my strongest units straight up to defeat Ivy and Hortensia, while the rest of the group headed east to take out Alcryst and Timerra. But Nil destroyed the island that Timerra was on so fast that I lost about four units, and my two split up groups weren't able to handle all the reinforcements.

This time, I was moving so fast that I had taken out Timerra before Nil even got to Alcryst's island. The only hiccup came when I got clever, using Corrin and Camilla's Dragon Vein effects to bottleneck a ton of units on Alcryst's island, assuming that Nil would destroy it and wipe them all out for me. I don't know if I was misremembering, or if it's random how long it takes, but I swear it took a couple extra turns compared to my first run. So... they all survived to pursue me onto Diamant's island.

Madeline + Eirika was my rearguard, and she was clutch in giving me time to down Diamant before I had to turn around and fight well over a dozen wolves, wyvern riders, and mage cannoneers. She ended up retreating (my only lost unit) but I thought that was reasonable. After that it was simple enough.

Done!

(Story was super naff, I must say.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Huh , fortress knight Dedue completely trivialized maddening Hegemon . I always used a jury rigged strat of hit and runs with Ingrid and byleth and crit stacking dimitry. Never thought to park this absolute tank of a man in front of her and watch him take … 5 damage . Still take 55 ish from the aoe but at that point you just vengeance an entire life bar away from her and then get healed from range .

Build was as follows

Axe p.
    Lance.
    Quick riposte
    Deathblow
    Hit +20

Used armored strike ( scales on def) till about half health , then one shot delete everyone from existence with vengeance.

I really need to do finish up the other routes but everytime I start a run I think up some new way to team build . Plus Azure moon on maddening is the right level of difficulty that I both know I can beat and also be challenged . I really want to do a church route maddening run but I’m intimidated by the last level and I’m also not fond of the black eagles as a whole outside bernie who is amazingly overpowered .

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ...Bernie? Not Petra?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ...Bernie? Not Petra?

Bernie gets vengeance and unlike Dedue doesn’t have banes in riding , together with her personal she is a walking ( or riding/flying) thermo nuclear warhead . It’s why she is ranked just under the lords and byleth as the strongest character. Dedue is up there , but much less mobile.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ...Bernie? Not Petra?

Bernie gets vengeance and unlike Dedue doesn’t have banes in riding , together with her personal she is a walking ( or riding/flying) thermo nuclear warhead . It’s why she is ranked just under the lords and byleth as the strongest character. Dedue is up there , but much less mobile.

Ah, that makes sense. Easy glass cannon setup for massive damage that way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Also TIL that the full version of edge of dawn doesn’t unlock in music player unless you have it set to Japanese when the credits roll . Unfortunately I only keep a “game cleared” save so it will have to wait until I do another playthrough. Not like I could complete the music list anyway, with some songs being locked behind amibos .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I thought the economy was fine so long as you’re willing to sell stuff and have wifi on. The only big problem is that the donations are a huge money sink that doesn’t thoroughly explain what it does for you, so a lot of players will burn their cash for trivial gains.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I dunno. Even if you regularly sell stuff you aren't making that much money and you're looking at like 50k for some weapons upgrades.

• Options
    All routes in three hopes done . Gonna be honest this game is padded to the gills . I honestly would prefer it if it was just the main chapter missions and paralogues instead of so many tiny random battle with absolutely no significance to anything.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    For playing through all three routes, I think you're expected to use New Game+ and liberally apply Merc Whistles on the map. You don't get the secondary rewards when you use those, but when you've already maxed out the camp facilities, 1000 Gold and 10x Tier-1 Lumber isn't a real loss.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I was using Ng+ but I completely forgot those whistles existed

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m playing the very first game as a bit of research/history lesson and I’m loving all these characters with names like Barf and Shart.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I’m playing the very first game as a bit of research/history lesson and I’m loving all these characters with names like Barf and Shart.

hero king barf, wonderful

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Shart is the pegasus knight.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I didn’t buy Engage but looking into it I don’t think the main character turns into a dragon? Shameful. Here’s a dragon for that guy.
    rp20yrazwona.png

FE 1 is good, would not recommend. Names I enjoyed top 5:
    5. Hardin
    4. Barst
    3. Radd
    2. Dolph
    1. Jake

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    PSA for 3DS network shutting down in April:

If for some random reason you have (or plan to buy) Awakening and haven't downloaded the Spotpass stuff yet, do it before it's too late :P

(this is probably not relevant to anyone but whatever :P Letting ya'll know :3)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Aww man, I messed up

Replaying Three Houses doing Crimson Flower this time

Was going to make a save before the split so I could check out Silver Snow afterwards, but apparently I already missed out on Rhea's B-rank support and Silver Snow is the only route you can S-rank her

Not that Rhea is such a huge deal, but wanted to go all in if I was doing Silver Snow anyway

Oh well, onwards with Crimson Flower. Maybe I'll do another in 5 years

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb