Options

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    As someone who plays Rogue Excavate, somehow they made Azurite Scorpion worse

ObiFett on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Nerfs:
    Splish-Splash Whelp: Now a 1/1
    Desert Nestmatron: Now a 3/4
    Arcane Wyrm: Now a 1/1
    Staff of the Nine Frogs: Now has 1 attack
    Keeper's Strength: Now 5 mana
    Prismatic Beam: Now 8 mana, damage only hits enemy minions.

Bans:
    Pyrotechnician has been temporarily banned due to Fire Druid's problematic gameplay pattern, will be re-assessed in next balance window.

Buffs:
    Maw and Paw: Now a 2/8
    Corpse Bride: Battlecry now reads "Spend up to 10 Corpses to summon a Risen Groom with Taunt and that much Attack and Health."
    Climactic Necrotic Explosion: Base damage now starts at 6, summons 3 2/2 Souls from the base
    Invasive Shadeleaf: Now deals 10 damage to an enemy minion
    Pip the Potent: Now a 3 mana 3/3
    Ra-den: Now has Taunt.
    Elise Badlands Savior: Now summons 5/5 copies
    Shell Game: Now 2 mana
    Velarok Windblade: Only requires 1 card played from another class to activate its true form.
    The Azerite Scorpion: Battlecry now reads "Get 4 random spells. They cost (1) less for each time you’ve Excavated this game (but not less than 1)."
    Furnace Fuel: Now 3 mana
    Pop'gar the Putrid: Now discounts Fel spells by (2)
    Slagmaw the Slumbering: Now Dormant for 6 turns
    Khaz'goroth: Now a 4/5
    Horseshoe Slinger: Now a 2 mana 1/1
    Barrel of Sludge: Now deals 4 damage, mana increased to 3

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    That Corpse Bride buff seems potent.

• Options
    BG changes:

Hero Updates
    Tae’thelan Bloodwatcher
    Old: Passive. Every third Tavern spell you buy costs (0).
    New: Passive. Every third Tavern spell you buy costs (1) less.

Lich Baz’hial
    Old: [1 Gold]
    New: [2 Gold]

Fish of N’Zoth (from N’Zoth’s Hero Power)
    Old: After a friendly Deathrattle minion dies, gain its Deathrattle.
    New: After a friendly Deathrattle minion dies in combat, gain its Deathrattle.

Armor Updates
    The following heroes now have less Armor:

Murloc Holmes and Heistbaron Togwaggle have 8 Armor.
    Xyrella has 8 Armor at higher ratings and 10 Armor at lower ratings.
    Skycap’n Kragg has 12 Armor.

The following heroes now have more Armor:

Tae’thelan Bloodwatcher has 12 Armor.
    Lich Baz’hial has 15 Armor.
    Professor Putricide has 18 Armor.

A bunch of minion and spell changes.

Good thing I cheesed that Tae'thelan win when I did. That's a pretty big nerf and completely guts his BS strat.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Buffs:
    Maw and Paw: Now a 2/8

Called it!
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Should be a 2/8 card, really. 1 attack for Maw, 1 attack for Paw.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    BG changes:

Hero Updates
    Tae’thelan Bloodwatcher
    Old: Passive. Every third Tavern spell you buy costs (0).
    New: Passive. Every third Tavern spell you buy costs (1) less.

Lich Baz’hial
    Old: [1 Gold]
    New: [2 Gold]

Fish of N’Zoth (from N’Zoth’s Hero Power)
    Old: After a friendly Deathrattle minion dies, gain its Deathrattle.
    New: After a friendly Deathrattle minion dies in combat, gain its Deathrattle.

Armor Updates
    The following heroes now have less Armor:

Murloc Holmes and Heistbaron Togwaggle have 8 Armor.
    Xyrella has 8 Armor at higher ratings and 10 Armor at lower ratings.
    Skycap’n Kragg has 12 Armor.

The following heroes now have more Armor:

Tae’thelan Bloodwatcher has 12 Armor.
    Lich Baz’hial has 15 Armor.
    Professor Putricide has 18 Armor.

A bunch of minion and spell changes.

Good thing I cheesed that Tae'thelan win when I did. That's a pretty big nerf and completely guts his BS strat.

That's a good Tae change. I can see it maybe getting rolled back slightly later on, but the concept is good.

I hadn't even thought about the Fish's interaction with the minions that do murders outside of combat, but it makes sense in that context.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I thought the rainbow stuff might be beneficial for CNE but the truth is that card is never going to be good unless they give those minions something that can challenge board state (either taunt or rush, IMO). That card is almost never with playing.

Maw and Paw change is great though, I love that card.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Paladin changes did literally nothing. Still everywhere, still insanely strong. I’m trying to play Highlander rainbow mage to legend and have a positive win rate against everything but paladin. But since paladins make up like 50% of the meta, it’s a crazy slow slog.

Also, the paladin decks are brain dead to play. Just make huge boards that get progressively larger. Don’t need to play around mass removal since you can reload the board more times than most decks can clear. If a single minion sticks, buff it (often for free) for the OTK.

What a stupid meta.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Paladin changes did literally nothing. Still everywhere, still insanely strong. I’m trying to play Highlander rainbow mage to legend and have a positive win rate against everything but paladin. But since paladins make up like 50% of the meta, it’s a crazy slow slog.

Also, the paladin decks are brain dead to play. Just make huge boards that get progressively larger. Don’t need to play around mass removal since you can reload the board more times than most decks can clear. If a single minion sticks, buff it (often for free) for the OTK.

What a stupid meta.

Losing the 6 face damage from prismatic beams has helped me be able to stabilize, but for the most part I agree with you. The early game swings into crusader aura are still back-breaking.

The nerfs to druid aren't going to be enough either. 2-cost mana ramp dragon is still going to be able to ramp on turn 1/2, trading poorly doesn't matter as much when then golems come down early.

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

What a stupid meta.

Losing the 6 face damage from prismatic beams has helped me be able to stabilize, but for the most part I agree with you. The early game swings into crusader aura are still back-breaking.

The nerfs to druid aren't going to be enough either. 2-cost mana ramp dragon is still going to be able to ramp on turn 1/2, trading poorly doesn't matter as much when then golems come down early.

The 6 face dmg is honestly negligible since they don’t kill you with chip dmg but instead massive minions, free/cheap buffs, and board reload for super cheap.

The dragon nerf was weird and borderline nonsensical.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Like I've been saying, paladin early game is just miles ahead of every other class. Nerfing a mid and late game AOE cards was not going to bring them in line. At this point I expect paladin to dominate until Righteous Protector and Sanguine Soldier rotate. And Boogie Down should probably be 4 mana.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Kiblers Rainbow deck is some solid stuff that got me winstreaking to Dad Legend this month.

### Kiblers Rainbow
    # Class: Death Knight
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (1) Body Bagger
    # 2x (1) Tour Guide
    # 1x (2) Flint Firearm
    # 2x (2) Gold Panner
    # 2x (2) Plague Strike
    # 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
    # 2x (3) Corpse Farm
    # 2x (3) Crop Rotation
    # 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
    # 2x (3) Sickly Grimewalker
    # 1x (4) Maw and Paw
    # 2x (5) Corpse Bride
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 2x (6) Gnome Muncher
    # 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
    # 1x (7) Frost Queen Sindragosa
    # 1x (8) The Primus
    # 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
    # 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
    #
    AAECAdvJBgjbuQSk7wShqgX8+QXt/wWLkgb/lwbkmAYL8OMEh/YEsvcEs/cEtPcEopkFl5UGkZcGgJgGzpwG16IGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Heroic Brawliseum week (ugh), so that means the mini-set should be hitting in a week or two.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Kiblers Rainbow deck is some solid stuff that got me winstreaking to Dad Legend this month.

### Kiblers Rainbow
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (1) Body Bagger
    # 2x (1) Tour Guide
    # 1x (2) Flint Firearm
    # 2x (2) Gold Panner
    # 2x (2) Plague Strike
    # 2x (3) Corpse Farm
    # 2x (3) Crop Rotation
    # 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
    # 1x (4) Maw and Paw
    # 2x (5) Corpse Bride
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 2x (6) Gnome Muncher
    # 1x (8) The Primus
    #
    AAECAdvJBgjbuQSk7wShqgX8+QXt/wWLkgb/lwbkmAYL8OMEh/YEsvcEs/cEtPcEopkFl5UGkZcGgJgGzpwG16IGAAA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Dang, I have everything but Maw and Paw. :(

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Duels mode being retired in April.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24033780/duels-runs-coming-to-an-end

Disappointing, but can't say I'm surprised. It was a mode that sounded like it had a lot of promise, but never took off. I enjoyed it because I loved doing that kind of thing in single player. But as much as I liked it, I didn't play it very much. I always felt like Team 5 spread itself too thin with too many different ways to play the game, some having absolutely nothing to do with the card game.

• Options
    edited January 4
    I'm surprised they kept it going as long as they did. Maybe the niche crowd playing it was bigger than I realized, but I basically never saw anyone talking about Duels after its first few months. It was probably draining just enough gold from players for a while that they felt compelled to keep it going.

I guess that's a very slight bummer for me because I always try to start a run for free that I don't play, and then I randomly get a pack every couple months when they do a Duels reset/rotation.

Edit:

so2bllb98pg0.png

lol Beta

forty on
  • Options
    Spicy Pretzel Mustard finally achieved on the first BG game of the New Year.

Drek'Thar with Undead - resurrecting +30 to attack all over the place with the Divine Shield minion handing out double-bubbles like candy seems to work out.

• Options
    edited January 4
    Duels mode being retired in April.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24033780/duels-runs-coming-to-an-end

Disappointing, but can't say I'm surprised. It was a mode that sounded like it had a lot of promise, but never took off. I enjoyed it because I loved doing that kind of thing in single player. But as much as I liked it, I didn't play it very much. I always felt like Team 5 spread itself too thin with too many different ways to play the game, some having absolutely nothing to do with the card game.

Surprised Duels went out before Mercenaries did

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Mercenaries was probably easier to just leave parked than Duels, since it gets no updates and is mostly a single player experience (like the adventures, which I think are all still available). Duels being a PvP mode with card updates and balance changes and such probably had a bigger maintenance burden.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 4
    Mercenaries are now no longer installed with the client, but requires an additional download. You still play it from the client, you just can't without the additional download.

I only found out because of a series of misclicks. I certainly wasn't trying to play that garbage.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I had not thought about it in those terms but it makes sense that way.

• Options
    I like deck-building games so a "Hearthstone + Dominion" mode is very appealing to me. But they just didn't give it the love or attention they should have. And who can blame them, they really didn't have the resources to manage something like that.

Oh well. I'll pour one out in April. I've got 11 tickets though and I never use them for anything, so I'll probably do a few runs for funsies as a little personal tribute.

• Options
    Mercenaries are now no longer installed with the client, but requires an additional download. You still play it from the client, you just can't without the additional download.

I only found out because of a series of misclicks. I certainly wasn't trying to play that garbage.
    That's good, cuts down on the client size, especially for mobile. I suppose you'd have to uninstall and reinstall if it was already in your data from before.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »

### Kiblers Rainbow
    # Year of the Wolf
    #
    # 2x (1) Body Bagger
    # 2x (1) Tour Guide
    # 1x (2) Flint Firearm
    # 2x (2) Gold Panner
    # 2x (2) Plague Strike
    # 2x (3) Corpse Farm
    # 2x (3) Crop Rotation
    # 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
    # 1x (4) Maw and Paw
    # 2x (5) Corpse Bride
    # 1x (5) Queen Azshara
    # 2x (6) Gnome Muncher
    # 1x (8) The Primus
    #
    #

Dang, I have everything but Maw and Paw. :(

Maw and Paw is a great body that paints a target on its back, but you could replace with either the naga that copies a spell you draw or replace it with the draw spell that gives you two cards for two corpses.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I loved Duels, for nothing other than being able to retire that weekly quest quickly. I don't play a ton of Arena or BG.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Quick tip for excavate rogue decks: play like it’s an aggro deck and generally save shadowstep/breakdance for velarok if possible. Don’t panic play Drilly raw, but instead use Scourge illusionist to generate extra Drillys (gear shift yo).

The basic idea is to never let the opponent make proactive plays and do just enough chip dmg that you can burst them down with shadowstep/breakdance combos while generating enough free value from excavates to keep the pressure up.

I’m running a 70% win rate in mirror matches simply due to superior drilly and velarok utilization (no panic plays) and consistent pressure. They might theoretically be able to out value me in a long game, but I burst them down before it even gets there. So they have infinite value….which is useless because they’re dead.

• Options
    Quick tip for excavate rogue decks: play like it’s an aggro deck and generally save shadowstep/breakdance for velarok if possible. Don’t panic play Drilly raw, but instead use Scourge illusionist to generate extra Drillys (gear shift yo).

The basic idea is to never let the opponent make proactive plays and do just enough chip dmg that you can burst them down with shadowstep/breakdance combos while generating enough free value from excavates to keep the pressure up.

I’m running a 70% win rate in mirror matches simply due to superior drilly and velarok utilization (no panic plays) and consistent pressure. They might theoretically be able to out value me in a long game, but I burst them down before it even gets there. So they have infinite value….which is useless because they’re dead.

I got the achievement for 12 ranked wins in a row with my excavate deck. I run the Coin+Well package in it, tho. No Velarok or Illusionist in there.

• Options
    First game I played this morning. Absolute Highest Roll I've ever had with this deck.

Going into turn 5:
    r4imoom6r71s.jpg

The aftermath of my turn 5
    eet1gvwzahvz.jpg

• Options
    edited January 5
    Your theme song on that turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Nd_lS9Kcs

The Judge on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I got the achievement for 12 ranked wins in a row with my excavate deck. I run the Coin+Well package in it, tho. No Velarok or Illusionist in there.

I found that variant to be way more boom or bust, but ymmv

• Options
    I don't think it's competitive, but somehow I went 3-0 with Elemental mage today (needed something cheap for a Mage quest and happened to have all these cards). Even managed to beat a Shaman who Reno'd on turn 7 when my Ragnaros rolled the 1/4 to hit face for lethal.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I found that variant to be way more boom or bust, but ymmv

oh, it definitely is

• Options
    I really want to play excavate rogue, I've got the dust to craft what I need but two of the cards are illusionist and I just do not want to waste dust on cards that will be out in a couple months.

I did get a golden Anachronos in some Twitch packs I opened the other day, which is hilarious. But I play a decent amount of paladin and some lists still use him, so I am not quite ready to dust that.

• Options
    edited January 6
    I lost on turn 5 to an excavate rouge last night that pulled Necrolord Draka off the 3-mana "Discover a 5-cost card, It costs (0)" card.

They had played 8 other cards that turn, so it was a 9/3 dagger.

Edit: wait, that's a 4 cost card, how the hell was free and a discover then? Either way, felt bad to die that way.

ronzo on
  • Options
    As someone who has tried to make Draka work a lot, I guarantee you it a is a 5-cost.

• Options
    Draka was 4 cost initially, but they nerfed her to 5 mana a good while back when Miracle Rogue was a scourge of the higher ranks.

• Options
    oh cool, then the card explorer on the official blizzard site is wrong then

• Options
    Excavate Rogue is fucking everywhere.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Excavate Rogue is fucking everywhere.

I just used it to hit legend. The deck is very feast or famine but can high roll out of its mind and just win no matter what the opponent does. It’s also high variance and has a high skill ceiling (the decision trees are kind of insane given the variance).

It’s also generally cheap, since you can build it with very few legendaries. One of my love/hate decks but it can be an absolute blast to play (and a nightmare) so it feels like playing the lottery sometimes.