As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WiiFit: Why Spend $3.19 On A Hula Hoop When You Can Get Wii Fit For $89? - OUT TODAY

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    I really don't get how the tightrope game works at all. It doesn't register the steps half the time I'm trying to make them. My husband wasn't trying to walk forward at all, just trying to keep balanced, and he ended up halfway down the tightrope.

Try walking in place, but in stead of keeping your balance centered, have it shift left to right. This will make your walk almost look a metronome.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hehe

wiicomic26-fb.jpg

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm slightly overweight, (5-8, 183 lbs)which is exactly what I expected. Good thing for the Balance Board the Missus is "Normal" or that thing might have found it's way through the TV!

I really like the balance games, and the jogging, while kind of lame, has a really cool locale. I can't wait to explore that island.

I didn't try the Yoga, but some of the strength exercises were more taxing than I expected. I'm pleased overall. A decent and fun supplement to actual "real" exercise.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

My girlfriend had the opposite problem. She either stepped on the board when it said not to or stepped off when it was calculating something. She went to do the push up game and as soon as she touched the board with her hands, it said her weight had drastically increased and it couldn't continue.

If you moved the board when it was first powered on and figuring out a "0" baseline reading, you could have caused it to be off. It seems as though most problems are solved by turning the board and Wii (red light) off and starting them up again. That is how my girlfriend fixed whatever it is she messed up.

Awesome, it is accurate now, and on the proper capreting that we wanted it to be on in the first place... Thanks for the advice mate... We happy balance borders now...

Also, the comic, awesome...

I'm curious is PA will make a wii fit comic themselves...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like the one in the OP? Maybe.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So apparently I lean to the right pretty heavily. I'm starting to believe it because the balance games played for a few minutes make my calves throb. It isn't I just lifted weights throbbing but something fucked up.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looks like my sister's hooked. She doesn't live here, but she'll be over daily to get her 30 minutes in. :P Greeeeeat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel really dirty.
    I just bought it off eBay for more than it's sold in stores.
    I encouraged that horrible resell phenomenon and I paid more than needed.

... I really wanted it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I feel really dirty.

... I really wanted it.

That's what hype does to you.

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I feel really dirty.

... I really wanted it.

How much...?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I feel really dirty.

... I really wanted it.

How much...?

All fees accounted for... double.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I feel really dirty.

... I really wanted it.

How much...?

All fees accounted for... double.

AHHH shit man, I would have looked in the stores for you. I'd hate to see an Arcadian get ripped that much :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, in the parallel universe where it'd have happened, be assured that I'd have appreciated it.

But the payment's done. I searched all around the city, two cities in fact, and no one had it.
    It was all, "lemme guess, you don't have any WiiFit in stocks, do you?" and they go "Man, noooo! Good luck!"

EDIT: Let's look at the bright side of things. I didn't follow the Wii Fit news that much, and I was just excited for it without knowing all about it. I thought Wii Fit was more expensive than it truly is. This softens the blow somewhat.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahh true. :) You'll enjoy it. It's fun for a workout.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I get excited any time this thread has a new post in it because I want to talk about this so much.
    I just got you excited, didn't I.... I'm sorry.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dunno, this game just looks like a lot of standing around to me.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's not really meant to be a true fitness solution, Bart (despite the name). Think of it as something used to spark an interest in fitness.

Anyway, I may end up getting this to use on rest days. Looks fun.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

It's not really meant to be a true fitness solution, Bart (despite the name). Think of it as something used to spark an interest in fitness.

I've been watching my wife do the Yoga stuff the last two nights, and it looks about as demanding as the real thing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've been watching my wife do the Yoga stuff the last two nights, and it looks about as demanding as the real thing.

:winky:

Bloods End on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

:winky:
    wiifitwifesm.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That comic was really gross.

Saddler on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

yeah but that's essential for gamers, who do too much sitting around.

cliffski on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

TIP: get your wife to do the hula hoop thing while you watch her ass. Assuming she has a good ass, obviously.

cliffski on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So after the hassle of getting GS online to actually approve shipping the thing to one address and bill another, I found my order got stuck in a later tier for shipment. I had $20 down at the local GS store just in case, and sure enough they had it in. I dropped the online order and picked my in-store copy up along with We Ski and a recharging battery for $10 less than what I was going to be charged online. Not really sticking it to the man, sure, since GS got their money, but still a pain in the ass.

Hopefully it'll be a different kind of pain in the ass this weekend when I get to start using it.

Kind of surprised how much it actually weighed when I picked up the box. I was expecting something lighter, like a bathroom scale tends to be. Also concerned how my carpet will handle it (kind of thick). Kind of tempted to snag one of those plastic mats you put under desk chairs for this thing, too.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Unless you have shag from 1973, you'll be fine. It even comes with little feet extenders.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cliffski wrote: »

TIP: get your wife to do the hula hoop thing while you watch her ass. Assuming she has a good ass, obviously.

This worked well on my girlfriend. Bwa ha ha.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Unless you have shag from 1973, you'll be fine. It even comes with little feet extenders.

Never liked shag ever since the stuff in my childhood bedroom found a way to eat my Cobra Commander.

Actually, I have a throw carpet (not exactly a rug) over top of the standard beige stuff in my living room. Between the two of them, I'm wonder how much give there will be when I try to calibrate, and I expect I'll have to move the throw carpet out of the way.

I'm just making it more complex than it needs to be.

Doronron on
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For two nights in a row now I have done 30 minutes of activities in Wii Fit (that is, the 30 minutes does not include menu navigation, watching tutorials, etc ... only the actual activities). At the end of each session, I had worked up quite the sweat, got my heart rate going, and could "feel the burn" in my underused muscles. So, unless someone is only doing the balance games, if you are going from nothing (or in my case, almost nothing) to WiiFit, you will get some benefit.

Should this replace an existing exercise routine? No, if you are already biking/running/whatever regularly, you should still do that.

Is it a one-stop-shot to weight loss? No ... but then nothing is. That is more of a lifestyle choice (healthy eating, active lifestyle, etc.)

But, all-in-all, I think WiiFit is a good tool for the following:
    1) Getting in the habit of a daily fitness routine.
    2) Tracking progress, both of weight and activity level. It is especially nice that it allows you to input non-Wii fit activity. So, on days I do a 60 min walk or play tennis or whatever, I can still track that activity.
    3) Becoming more conscious of your daily choices. Knowing you will be checking your progress tonight can make you think twice about having that jumbo cookie after lunch.

So, as oft has been said, WiiFit is another tool in the belt of people trying to move to a more healthy lifestyle. It isn't a miracle tool, and may not be for everyone. But it is incorrect to say it is not useful to anyone or a simple gimmick that doesn't have any benefits for the user.

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For two nights in a row now I have done 30 minutes of activities in Wii Fit (that is, the 30 minutes does not include menu navigation, watching tutorials, etc ... only the actual activities). At the end of each session, I had worked up quite the sweat, got my heart rate going, and could "feel the burn" in my underused muscles. So, unless someone is only doing the balance games, if you are going from nothing (or in my case, almost nothing) to WiiFit, you will get some benefit.

Should this replace an existing exercise routine? No, if you are already biking/running/whatever regularly, you should still do that.

Is it a one-stop-shot to weight loss? No ... but then nothing is. That is more of a lifestyle choice (healthy eating, active lifestyle, etc.)

2) Tracking progress, both of weight and activity level. It is especially nice that it allows you to input non-Wii fit activity. So, on days I do a 60 min walk or play tennis or whatever, I can still track that activity.
    3) Becoming more conscious of your daily choices. Knowing you will be checking your progress tonight can make you think twice about having that jumbo cookie after lunch.

So, as oft has been said, WiiFit is another tool in the belt of people trying to move to a more healthy lifestyle. It isn't a miracle tool, and may not be for everyone. But it is incorrect to say it is not useful to anyone or a simple gimmick that doesn't have any benefits for the user.

Yeah, see I plan to use the yoga and balance games to cool down after the workouts that are already part of my routine. After a long bike ride or martial arts class, yoga will be an awesome way to get some good, low impact stretches in.

Now if the weather would cooperate and I could ride my bike... fucking New York.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

That's absolutely true. It's a good, interactive, method of tracking your own fitness goals, and is "easy" enough to not fall under the realm of procrastination till you just quit.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah it's embarrassing to say that my stomach is aching today. Two days of 30 minutes of activities (and then about 15 minutes on the elliptical the day before) caused this. It's a very good supplement to working out. I'm hoping this will keep me entertained enough to keep working out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I actually noticed some real benefits from doing this with Wii Sports, and would've continued to use it until personal problems came up. Now that those have been mostly resolved, I no longer have an excuse. I figure between Wii Fit and Wii Sports, I'll get back into a daily excercise routine again, altenating between the boxing and whatever this can do without getting drained by doing the same things over and over (fucking Matt and those pro gloves). Get myself back on to the elliptical down in the fitness center again once it's become habit.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

My vintage shag carpeting is maroon. What color is yours? :lol:

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I haven't played since Wednesday morning.

I don't care though, because I now have a controller for Skate It.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    One of the WiiFit activities have made my obliques pretty sore. I suspect it is the hula hoop game.

jackal on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I have a question. I've ony played it two nights so far, but when I went to boot it up yesterday, all the credits I accumulated in my bank were gone and the counter was set back at zero. How did I lose them?

Does anyone know enough about how the actual "videogame" aspects work when it comes to unlocking stuff? For instance, if I want to unlock more Yoga poses, do I have to do a lot of the earlier poses, or can I unlock Yoga by doing strength excercises or games?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited May 2008
    It counts your credits for every day. If you're at the menu for games, aerobics, strength, etc, and just wait there, the counter will change to show you your running total.
    jackal wrote: »
    One of the WiiFit activities have made my obliques pretty sore. I suspect it is the hula hoop game.

Wait untill you unlock super hula hoop! Ouch!

Improvolone on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I have a question. I've ony played it two nights so far, but when I went to boot it up yesterday, all the credits I accumulated in my bank were gone and the counter was set back at zero. How did I lose them?

Does anyone know enough about how the actual "videogame" aspects work when it comes to unlocking stuff? For instance, if I want to unlock more Yoga poses, do I have to do a lot of the earlier poses, or can I unlock Yoga by doing strength excercises or games?
    First part: click the bank. I believe it displays the credits earned just for the current day, but if you click it you'll see the grand total accumulation.

As for unlockables it goes by net time on all activities - I'm stealing this straight from gamefaqs:
    10 mins. - Yoga - Sun Salutation
    - Muscle - Rowing Squat, Single Leg
    Twist
    15 mins. - Balance - Tightrope Tension
    30 mins. - Aerobics - Super Hula Hoop
    45 mins. - Yoga - Standing Knee
    1 hour - Balance - Balance Bubble
    1 hour 10 mins. - Muscle - Sideways Leg Lift
    1 hour 20 mins. - Yoga - Palm Tree
    1 hour 30 mins. - Balance - Penguin Slide
    1 hour 40 mins. - Aerobics - Rhythm Boxing
    1 hour 50 mins. - Muscle - Parallel Stretch
    2 hours - Balance - Snowboard Slalom
    2 hours 15 mins. - Yoga - Chair
    2 hours 30 mins. - Muscle - Tricep Extension
    2 hours 40 mins. - Muscle - Arm & Leg Lift
    2 hours 50 mins. - Yoga - Triangle
    3 hours - Balance - Zazen
    3 hours 10 mins. - Yoga - Downward-Facing Dog
    3 hours 20 mins. - Yoga - King of the Dance
    3 hours 30 mins. - Yoga - Cobra
    3 hours 40 mins. - Yoga - Bridge
    3 hours 50 mins. - Muscle - Single Arm Stand
    4 hours - Yoga - Crocodile Twist
    4 hours 10 mins. - Yoga - Shoulderstand

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't really get into the training parts of the game. The exercises seem pretty laughable. I do love the balance games though. I stood on the board for about an hour and a half trying to break 400 on the slope. Still not there yet.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It counts your credits for every day. If you're at the menu for games, aerobics, strength, etc, and just wait there, the counter will change to show you your running total.
    jackal wrote: »

Wait untill you unlock super hula hoop! Ouch!

Yeah no kidding. plus I'm really good at going clockwise, but counter clockwise? Forget it.

urahonky on