Options

What is Real? not The Matrix

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All the best videos came from the Matrix.

That video just won an award from my heart.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding the Animatrix: Did anyone else really like Beyond? Everyone seems to bring up Detective Story or The Second Renaissance, but I never see anyone mentioning Beyond.

I always just thought it was a rather neat combination of "haunted house" and "malfunctioning program."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Regarding the Animatrix: Did anyone else really like Beyond? Everyone seems to bring up Detective Story or The Second Renaissance, but I never see anyone mentioning Beyond.

I always just thought it was a rather neat combination of "haunted house" and "malfunctioning program."

It's the second best in my book, like how it takes a lighthearted tone on nstead of all the darker ones in all the others

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Indeed. I also loved the little touches in it - like the perfectly square chunk of highway in the house's backyard, that looked exactly like a misplaced texture.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I desperately want to see a version of the Matrix with the originally-conceived casting.

Will Smith as Neo, and Sean Connery as Morpheus.

Yes.

Will Smith as Neo, and Samuel L. Jackson as Morpheus.

That would be the best version of that movie.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I desperately want to see a version of the Matrix with the originally-conceived casting.

Yes.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to edit the first one with Will smith and Samuel, it'd just take a long time

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I'm watching Reloaded for the first time

my expectations are so low

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yes.

Okay, fine, but Sean Connery gets to be the Oracle.

"Have a cookie."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How's Paprika?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just like most things from Japan, it has more style than substance.

But it does have more substance than usual, and the style is amazing.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    How's Paprika?

Pretty good on deviled eggs.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know what was pretty rad? Oldboy.
    He was fucking his own daughter

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just like most things from Japan, it has more style than substance.

But it does have more substance than usual, and the style is amazing.

I'll check it out then

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    You know what was pretty rad? Oldboy.
    He was fucking his own daughter

That was pretty rad. Fairly rad even.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i think it would have been alright if they just combined the last 2 matrix films into one 2-3 hour movie and cut out alot of the bullshit and didn't rely so heavily on cgi humans punching eachother. CGI on people just doesn't work well. The scene where Zion is fighting those squids? Awsome. The scene where cgi neo is fighting cgi smith? Not awsome.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »
    143j5tk.png

seriously?

Urian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What always struck me as truly terrible about the final Smith/Neo fight was that neither of them looked like they had any control whatsoever. Horrible CGI aside, they were just rolling about mid air, awkwardly punching each other.

These to characters are supposed to be masters of unarmed combat, but they look like two four-graders brawling during recess. Now granted, raw, uncontrolled, entirely-rage-driven fights can work when done well (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction pops immediately into my mind), but it felt entirely inappropriate for this particular fight, and it made Smith and Neo look as if they simply didn't know how to handle themselves.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was just waiting for one of them to reveal their final form.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    To Slip AwayTo Slip Away __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    What always struck me as truly terrible about the final Smith/Neo fight was that neither of them looked like they had any control whatsoever. Horrible CGI aside, they were just rolling about mid air, awkwardly punching each other.

These to characters are supposed to be masters of unarmed combat, but they look like two four-graders brawling during recess. Now granted, raw, uncontrolled, entirely-rage-driven fights can work when done well (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction pops immediately into my mind), but it felt entirely inappropriate for this particular fight, and it made Smith and Neo look as if they simply didn't know how to handle themselves.

You are analyzing this way too much, the fight scene overall, if you overlook the flaws, was pretty solid, and decent by Hollywood standards of the day.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    i think it would have been alright if they just combined the last 2 matrix films into one 2-3 hour movie and cut out alot of the bullshit and didn't rely so heavily on cgi humans punching eachother. CGI on people just doesn't work well. The scene where Zion is fighting those squids? Awsome. The scene where cgi neo is fighting cgi smith? Not awsome.

I agree

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You are analyzing this way too much, the fight scene overall, if you overlook the flaws, was pretty solid, and decent by Hollywood standards of the day.

Compared to the Original Neo/Morpheus fight? or the Agent Smith/Neo fight?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Compared to the Original Neo/Morpheus fight? or the Agent Smith/Neo fight?

But of course the Neo/Morpheus fight is better, it is in the best movie of the three.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah things generally look pretty solid when you overlook the flaws

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If you overlook the flaws, it was pretty solid?

So you're saying if we ignore the fact that is was horrible, it doesn't seem like such utter shit?

What exactly does that mean?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Houk wrote: »

Yeah things generally look pretty solid when you overlook the flaws

Well they do you know, and you can't say that they don't?

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2008
    Crap is not crap, if you don't look at the crap?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My problem with the final fight is that if it's going to be flying around the place and super kung fu then some fucker should have the decency to throw a fireball.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All I know is that if you go into that movie drunk or high as fucked, the fight scene isn't that bad, because you are too buzzed to notice a lot of the flaws.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Internet logic

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The mechs in Zion were the most retarded things.

Let's not even bother putting up some sort of barrier to protect the pilots, guys. Good idea, guys.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    To Slip Away, dude, I hate to tell you this, but even Burden of Proof is poking holes in your logic.

Burden of Proof.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I like it when I'm not the stupidest poster in the thread. It's a rare treat.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All I know is that The first movie was the only good one, the other two are complete garbage, but I appreciate them for what they offer in story.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The second was fun for the lets throw a small Chinese man around a freeway bit.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The second two movies had their moments, but they were not solid films overall.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Reloaded and Revo had some absolutely incredible action sequences, but they didn't hold up as anything other than great action movies. The first was a sci fi masterpiece, the other two were barely more than standard summer movie fare.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    The second was fun for the lets throw a small Chinese man around a freeway bit.

Also the Agent Smith Freestyle "Purpose" Poetry Jam. But again, this might have more to do with the fact that I, for whatever reason, find Agent Smith to be comedy gold.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    Reloaded and Revo had some absolutely incredible action sequences, but they didn't hold up as anything other than great action movies. The first was a sci fi masterpiece, the other two were barely more than standard summer movie fare.
    That is because the first one was suppose to have a message, and the second and third were just money makers, so all that the producers really cared about, was spend lots of money on effects, and wow the summer audience with special effects and cool fight scenes.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "To Be Concluded" what a dumb ending

I guess I'll watch Revolutions tomorrow

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    That is because the first one was suppose to have a message, and the second and third were just money makers, so all that the producers really cared about, was spend lots of money on effects, and wow the summer audience with special effects and cool fight scenes.

I don't know, if they had went into it with the sole intent of making it a special effects masterpiece, I think I would have still liked them well enouugh.

But, they seemed to have spent a lot of their time coming up with philosophical nonsense and ridiculous plot twists.

Burden of Proof on