As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking news: Mumbai attacked

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
A group of gunmen has set off a series of attacks in Mumbai, India's financial capital. They have taken hostages at two luxury hotels, one of which has suffered at least one massive explosion and is now on fire. Approximately 80 deaths have been reported so far. Reports say that the attackers were targetting people with American or British passports.

The obligatory CNN link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/26/india.attacks/index.html

A group calling itself "Deccan Mujjahadin" has sent e-mails claiming responsibility, but there doesn't seem to be much information about them.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope that this doesn't influence the new Obama or Indian administration into following the Clash of Civilization theory.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terrorism attacks are pretty common in India. Although usually in the middle of no where, rather than in a big city full of westerners, so no one cares.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Obviously they are upset that India is becoming important and useful.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    9 simultaneous attacks is pretty bold. That's a fair amount of coordination. I wonder if it's the standard local Muslim/Hindu drama with American/British hostages as attempted leverage or if it's an attack on Westerners.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    9 simultaneous attacks is pretty bold. That's a fair amount of coordination. I wonder if it's the standard local Muslim/Hindu drama with American/British hostages as attempted leverage or if it's an attack on Westerners.

both, i imagine.

Sam on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently at any one time there are a fair number of civil insurgencies going on in India, outside of the commonly known example of Kashmir. But then that is what happens if you have a country of that size, with that number of different ethnic or national groups I guess. So who really knows who these guys are

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this related to India sinking pirate ships?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/11/19/somalia.pirates/index.html

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So apparently the chief of India's counter terrorism group was assassinated as part of the attacks along with two other top people.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Is this related to India sinking pirate ships?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/11/19/somalia.pirates/index.html

It's possible but given the history of India it's unlikely. There has been a steady rise in bombings in India of late.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So apparently the chief of India's counter terrorism group was assassinated as part of the attacks along with two other top people.

D:

Whee, assholes taking advantage of the world being too busy to help other parts of the world.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

D:

Whee, assholes taking advantage of the world being too busy to help other parts of the world.

Possibly. Given the sheer scope of the attacks it really feels like the ISI, Pakistan's Intelligence service, is pulling the strings. Relations between the two countries is getting better which always seems to piss off the ISI and they do have a history of supporting terrorists in India. And this is extremely impressive for a group that no one has heard of before.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No links to everyone's favorite Islamic Terrorist Organisation in Afganistan?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Possibly. Given the sheer scope of the attacks it really feels like the ISI, Pakistan's Intelligence service, is pulling the strings. Relations between the two countries is getting better which always seems to piss off the ISI and they do have a history of supporting terrorists in India. And this is extremely impressive for a group that no one has heard of before.

MSNBC just had an expert on who estimated from the various descriptions of weapons and explosives it probably only cost that about 5k for materials and transportation. As far as planning and setting up a time table...yeah, the Pakistani intelligence service seems the likely culprit. With simultaneous, multiple attacks on this scale they would have needed a certain degree of expertise to pull it off.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No links to everyone's favorite Islamic Terrorist Organisation in Afganistan?

Al-Qaeda doesn't have much in the way of ties to Islamic groups in India. They already have a source of funding and support via the ISI. A lot of them already have support structures in place and that's really what Al-Qaeda brings to the table for smaller terrorist groups.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What I heard was that he wasn't directly targetted, but he was on the scene with the initial police response to the bombings and then the terrorists attacked the police positions with automatic weapons.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Apparently at any one time there are a fair number of civil insurgencies going on in India, outside of the commonly known example of Kashmir. But then that is what happens if you have a country of that size, with that number of different ethnic or national groups I guess. So who really knows who these guys are

Well primarily those are conflicts between the local Muslim, Hindi and Sikh populations. Stuff targeting westerners is not terribly common.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is scary stuff. Are there any boardies in Mumbai?

Food on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »

Well primarily those are conflicts between the local Muslim, Hindi and Sikh populations. Stuff targeting westerners is not terribly common.

Sure, then all the little regional independence movements that float about the periphery.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Is it true that the attackers were seeking out hostages with American/British passports specifically?

Organichu on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Is it true that the attackers were seeking out hostages with American/British passports specifically?
    Yet again I feel validated in my commitment to never trying to hold dual US citizenship.

I think the bigger thing about this for me was more that the news actually went over just how much shit has gone down in India in this year alone that I had no idea about. Of course there's also the downside here that it's being speculated this is the start of an internal Islamic extremist insurgency in India, rather then people crossing from Pakistan.

Also I don't know about the 9 simultaneous attacks thing - strictly speaking, in the age of the cellphone this isn't really too difficult to accomplish although I suppose it does imply a level of intelligence and consideration of their plans which makes these guys more dangerous.

EDIT: Also:
    "Muslims in India should not be persecuted. We love this as our country but when our mothers and sisters were being killed, where was everybody?"
    I'm calling BS on this. There's a reason you go after westerners, so this is certainly not their primary tagline.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow. 101 dead. D:

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Between this and a rising number of my baby brother's friends dying in gang violence, I am about to have a nervous breakdown.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Organichu wrote: »

That's what I originally read through yahoo. Which I suppose would be AP?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Sucks man. I have an Israeli-American friend who lives (illegally, actually) in Mumbai and he hasn't answered my calls.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This whole thing makes me feel like quite the tool. I read about the attacks and I'm thinking "My god, more violence. World today, etc. etc."

Then I continue reading and find that India is actually pretty familiar with terrorist attacks.

So it took a focus on attacking foreigners to draw my attention to it.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should read up on how Pakistan is basically fighting the Taliban at the door step to some of it's cities now.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At least they worked then?

:(

Duki on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    At least they worked then?

:(

Haha I was thinking about this. By paying so much attention, we "give them what they want." In other words, rewarding the terrorists for their actions. On the other hand, though, you can't just ignore it like it's a 2-year-old's tantrum.

"Just ignore him. He'll stop killing hundreds of people eventually."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So the hostages at the Taj Hotel have been released, but gunmen are thought to be still at large at other sites.

However,
    BBC News wrote:
    But the BBC's Mark Dummett, outside the Taj Mahal, says the situation has since become very confused, with the sounds of explosions and gunfire being heard from within the hotel, suggesting the siege is not yet over.

They're also saying over 100 people have been killed, and 287 injured. D:

BobCesca on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    A group of gunmen has set off a series of attacks in Mumbai, India's financial capital. They have taken hostages at two luxury hotels, one of which has suffered at least one massive explosion and is now on fire. Approximately 80 deaths have been reported so far. Reports say that the attackers were targetting people with American or British passports.

The obligatory CNN link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/26/india.attacks/index.html

A group calling itself "Deccan Mujjahadin" has sent e-mails claiming responsibility, but there doesn't seem to be much information about them.

That's weird. Historically the Deccan has been the staging ground for Hindu fundamentalists.

Maybe there is some other meaning of Deccan I'm not aware of.

Speaker on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This whole thing makes me feel like quite the tool. I read about the attacks and I'm thinking "My god, more violence. World today, etc. etc."

Then I continue reading and find that India is actually pretty familiar with terrorist attacks.

most media outlets distinguish between american lives and third world lives.

Sam on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    It's common among media outlets to distinguish between foreign lives and the lives of those from their own country. It's entirely understandable.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

That's weird. Historically the Deccan has been the staging ground for Hindu fundamentalists.

Maybe there is some other meaning of Deccan I'm not aware of.

The Deccan is pretty damn big with room enough for all kinds of craziness, and there are various million+ concentrations of Urdu speaking Muslims, especially around/in Hyderabad (where there was a strong Muslim ruled state up until 1947).

Dis' on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My dad arrived in Mumbai just as the attacks were taking place. Thankfully he's just managed to get a flight to Delhi.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    fffff

that is a lot of bad news.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My dad arrived in Mumbai just as the attacks were taking place. Thankfully he's just managed to get a flight to Delhi.

My aunt is in India to see her swami.

We lost contact with her two days ago.

I have to admit I am rather worried.

Shogun on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I read somewhere yesterday that the Indian army was deploying 6 companies to the area to fight these guys. That's as many as 1,200 troops. I'm wondering how many of these fuckers there really are if some of them are still at large and armed in the city.

Smurph on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So last night I heard something about a British MEP having barricaded himself in a basement with the terrorists outside, what's come of that?

Also, is it westerners or people with British/American citizenship, the news has been pretty unclear on this?

Leitner on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Smurph wrote: »
    I read somewhere yesterday that the Indian army was deploying 6 companies to the area to fight these guys. That's as many as 1,200 troops. I'm wondering how many of these fuckers there really are if some of them are still at large and armed in the city.

Isn't it normal for a government to send troops to disaster (manmade and otherwise) areas to keep looting down? Wouldn't a historic hotel be loaded with lootables?

MKR on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam wrote: »

most media outlets distinguish between american lives and third world lives.

Hello! This made the news a month ago and had double the body count.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26950301/

There was another stampede a month before that, killing 140.

emnmnme on