Options

[WoW] Warriors: But if I use my mouse to turn, how do I click on Rend?

• Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks guys! I am going to get the Titansteel shield crafted after I help my healbo- I mean RL paladian friend get the heal mace crafted.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For tank stuff:

Wyrmrest has a cloak at honored, and a chest at revered.
    Arget Crusade has legs at honored, and the helm enchant at revered.
    Ebon blade has boots at honored.
    Valiance Expedition/Warsong Offensive has a shield at revered. They also have a 1h mace with dodge on it, but no defense, so it could do you in a pinch if you have nothing else.
    Kirin Tor has gloves at Exalted, but you'll likely find better way before then. Not to mention that there's absolutely nothing else there for warriors.

Wyrmrest also has boots at revered.

Bigity on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New PTR build notes.
    Arms

* Taste for Blood now gives you a 33/66/100% chance of allowing the use of your Overpower ability for 5 secs whenever your Rend ability causes damage. This talent will not occur more than once every 6 sec.

Fury

* Titan's Grip now reduces your physical damage done by 10% when dual-wielding two-handed weapons.

Glyph

* Glyph of Heroic Strike - You gain 10 rage when you critically strike with your Heroic Strike ability. (Old - Increases the critical strike chance of Heroic Strike by 5%.)
    * Glyph of Last Stand - Reduces the cooldown of your Last Stand ability by 1 min. (Old - Also reduced the maximum health gained by 10%.)
    Looks like the heroic strike glyph is being reverted to the current live realm thinger. 10 rage. Woo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ack mine dps! It will be fun to see how the TG nerf plays out for Fury DPS in PVE raids.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ack mine dps! It will be fun to see how the TG nerf plays out for Fury DPS in PVE raids.

It's going to work out fine. And the same people bitching about it are probably the ones who suggested it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

It's going to work out fine. And the same people bitching about it are probably the ones who suggested it.
    Work out fine? That moves me from first on Patchwerk to ....6th? What's fine about that? Okay, we need a nerf, fine. But... 10% seems way out of whack.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You have to factor in the PVE armor nerf, as well as "everyone else getting nerfed as well"

I always thought Fury was supposed to be the definitive Warrior PVE dps tree? Ugh Blizzard. They now want to make Arms = Fury on dps? Will a Disp. priest be as good as healing as a shadow priest at healing, while a holy priest does as much damage as a S. Priest?

With all the class changes, we will have to wait and see. Do any of the guilds that are destroying Uluduar have their dmg meters up?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Uh, arms and fury are at least both dps trees, disp is not at all comparable to shadow.

I think there's nothing wrong with arms and fury both being good at pve dps, and pvp, they'll still play differently.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They actually stated that their goal is a 5-way tie for healing potency, with disc priest = holy priest = resto druid = resto shaman = holy paladin.

and a million way tie with all hybrid dps with arms = fury = furry = shadow = unholy = blood = frost = enhancement = elemental = balance = whatever else i missed.

and a million way tie with all 'pure' dps with fire = frost = arcane = marksmanship = survival = beast mastery = subtlety = assassination = combat = demonology = affliction = destruction

things be changing. with the reversal of the absolutely retarded heroic strike glyph nerf, 3.1 is a bit closer to being stomachable. I probably won't try to push for being invited to 10m hardmode encounter learning nights in ulduar, but should have no trouble farming them.

Now if the devs would take a look at some of the QoL issues with warrior buffs...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So Feral = Frost = Prot as well?

People seem to be complaining that this is not the cast, where the DK nerfs enough to make people want to bring a Warrior again>

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    None of that stuff is the case, those are the design goals that Blizzard is gunning for.

Should be Feral=Frost=Blood=Unholy=Prot=Prot, though. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right forgot the Pallies :D. But yeah, I don't think Unholy is a true tank tree is it.. More like a hybrid tank spec.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Their initial WLK design had frost being the "tank" tree, they're right now moving away from that. They want all three DK specs to work for tanking.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Work out fine? That moves me from first on Patchwerk to ....6th? What's fine about that? Okay, we need a nerf, fine. But... 10% seems way out of whack.

It's more than 10% due to rage loss and you probably shouldn't even be first to begin with, but that's a different discussion.

I also don't understand the pure versus hybrid issue that the devs seem to have. Outside of a single class that has two specs in a single tree and a single fight where dependent on your strategy you want to bring a single hybrid off healer and a hybrid tank you rarely if ever choose to bring some one because they might be able to tank. Maybe dual specs will change this or the design of fights will change where being a hybrid will be advantageous, but punishing every single hybrid because there might have be a single extra raid spot for them seems like a terrible design decision.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Their initial WLK design had frost being the "tank" tree, they're right now moving away from that. They want all three DK specs to work for tanking.

Which is odd, because the way I see it each DK tree has a tank talent here and there, but for the most part they're all DPS. So it's like the class' base stats and skills are responsible for the build of things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    khain wrote: »

It's more than 10% due to rage loss and you probably shouldn't even be first to begin with, but that's a different discussion.

I also don't understand the pure versus hybrid issue that the devs seem to have. Outside of a single class that has two specs in a single tree and a single fight where dependent on your strategy you want to bring a single hybrid off healer and a hybrid tank you rarely if ever choose to bring some one because they might be able to tank. Maybe dual specs will change this or the design of fights will change where being a hybrid will be advantageous, but punishing every single hybrid because there might have be a single extra raid spot for them seems like a terrible design decision.

The only "hybrid" that should allowed to be a hybrid in the swing of battle is the shaman. As it stands, they've made some steps toward it. Getting AP and spellpower at the same time emphasizes this. Druids have to shapeshift and spec and gear swap for certain tasks. An elemental shaman, on the other hand, can toss out half-assed non-talented heals and still be relatively more effective at healing than a druid who is shifting out of cat form and casting heals, but still in cat gear. This I have no issue with. And it's also why I despise the druid class because if I'm gonna do one of the specs, I may as well be a rogue, warrior, elemental shaman, or resto shaman.

Henroid on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What I don't understand about that is that Blood and Unholy were both nerfed for tanking more than Frost was, so doesn't that kind of push Frost more toward being the tank tree than it is now? I'm referring to Vampiric Blood and Bone Shield both being put on 2 minute cooldowns while Unbreakable Armor is still 1 minute, by the way.

And, since release, Unholy has been a great tanking tree considering Bone Shield's potential uptime (and the fact that it was 40% fucking damage reduction until the first nerf) and its great AoE damage.

forty on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This. Except at the top end of min/maxing, raids aren't looking for somebody who can DPS who can heal in a pinch, or tank in a pinch. They're looking for tanks, DPS, and healers, and there's little reason to bring hybrid DPS if they bring systematically lower damage output. This was part of their whole "bring the player, not the class" crusade. If two players, both DPS, have a 5% damage disparity between them, why would you bring the lower one to progression content?

Dual spec isn't really going to fix that.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited March 2009

This. Except at the top end of min/maxing, raids aren't looking for somebody who can DPS who can heal in a pinch, or tank in a pinch. They're looking for tanks, DPS, and healers, and there's little reason to bring hybrid DPS if they bring systematically lower damage output. This was part of their whole "bring the player, not the class" crusade. If two players, both DPS, have a 5% damage disparity between them, why would you bring the lower one to progression content?

Dual spec isn't really going to fix that.

That is pretty much my exact point. Its even worse for warriors in my opinion because half our best in slot is leather so you could potentially gear a rogue almost as easily because of it.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Boosting Armed to the Teeth would fix the gearing for leather, increase Prot Threat Generation, and Arms/fury dps!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Except skill/latency/attentiveness can easily account for a 5% difference in damage.

Even after 3.1, I highly doubt anyone's raid damage meters are going to look like this:

1-8: Only hunters, mages, rogues, and warlocks.
    8-18: DPS spec death knights, druids, paladins, priests, shamans, and warriors.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't make sense to me that certain classes are required to outplay another class or have better playing conditions just to equal their dps.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't make sense to me that certain classes can only ever perform one role no matter what they do.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    forty wrote: »
    What I don't understand about that is that Blood and Unholy were both nerfed for tanking more than Frost was, so doesn't that kind of push Frost more toward being the tank tree than it is now? I'm referring to Vampiric Blood and Bone Shield both being put on 2 minute cooldowns while Unbreakable Armor is still 1 minute, by the way.

And, since release, Unholy has been a great tanking tree considering Bone Shield's potential uptime (and the fact that it was 40% fucking damage reduction until the first nerf) and its great AoE damage.

I can't really explain what the hell blizzard is doing either.

All we really have to go off is stuff like this quote from Ghostcrawler:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15443531602&sid=1&pageNo=18#343
    Frost is not intended as the tanking tree. DKs should be able to tank using appropriate builds from all 3 trees. It is likely that some builds will be superior for some encounters of course.

When we originally designed the DK, Frost was going to be the tanking tree. We later soured on that implementation.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So Warriors = Plate wearing Primary Tank Secondary DPS
    Paladins = Plate wearing Primary Healer, Tank, Secondary DPS
    DK = Plate wearing Primary Tank, Secondary DPS

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    All tanking classes are intended to be highly competitive with each other, such that all tanks can complete all encounters with slight favoritism for certain tanking mechanics in certain fights.

All healing classes are intended to be highly competitive with each other, such that all healers can heal all encounters with slight favoritism for certain healing mechanics in certain fights.

All classes are intended to be highly competitive with each other in the realm of DPS, such that classes that can only DPS are highly competitive with each other, and classes that can heal or tank in addition to DPS are slightly behind the classes that cannot. However, the classes that can heal or tank in addition to DPS should be highly competitive with each other.

I am a big fan of their design goals. At a very high level, they make sense. It'll require razor-edge balance to get things in line with the goals, though. I highly doubt that 3.1 will put anything at all close to in line with those goals.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    So Warriors = Plate wearing Primary Tank Secondary DPS
    Paladins = Plate wearing Primary Healer, Tank, Secondary DPS
    DK = Plate wearing Primary Tank, Secondary DPS

the idea is that everybody is a "primary" everything and "secondary" nothing

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am a big fan of their design goals. At a very high level, they make sense. It'll require razor-edge balance to get things in line with the goals, though. I highly doubt that 3.1 will put anything at all close to in line with those goals.
    On a similar note, I'm a big fan of Ghostcrawler. I think he's the best thing to happen to the WoW staff since November 2004.

forty on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Everyone IS currently within 5% damage of each other, with the exception of splitting caster and melee DPS at high gear levels on short fights.
    Stop being doom and gloom.

This isn't the official forums and it gets tiresome you guys acting like Blizzard doesn't know what they are doing.

They do, so shut up.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Everyone IS currently within 5% damage of each other, with the exception of splitting caster and melee DPS at high gear levels on short fights.

This isn't the official forums and it gets tiresome you guys acting like Blizzard doesn't know what they are doing.

They do, so shut up.

I don't think anyone is being doom and gloom. Derpimacow.

More Arms Changes

* Improved Intercept and Weapon Mastery have once again swapped places in the talent tree.
    * New Talent: Juggernaut: Grants the warrior the ability to Charge while in combat.
    * Unrelenting Assault: Now also increases the damage of Overpower and Revenge by 10/20%, and causes Overpower (when used to attack a casting target) to decrease the effectiveness of all the target’s non-physical damage and healing by 25/50% for 6 seconds. Tooltip and visual updated.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They do, so shut up.

More Arms Changes

* Improved Intercept and Weapon Mastery have once again swapped places in the talent tree.
    * New Talent: Juggernaut: Grants the warrior the ability to Charge while in combat.
    * Unrelenting Assault: Now also increases the damage of Overpower and Revenge by 10/20%, and causes Overpower (when used to attack a casting target) to decrease the effectiveness of all the target’s non-physical damage and healing by 25/50% for 6 seconds. Tooltip and visual updated

Wait, what?

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's like a ghetto-interrupt? Except it won't have an impact on non-numeric effects.

Sounds like a really neat mechanic. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »

They do, so shut up.

More Arms Changes

* Unrelenting Assault: Now also increases the damage of Overpower and Revenge by 10/20%, and causes Overpower (when used to attack a casting target) to decrease the effectiveness of all the target’s non-physical damage and healing by 25/50% for 6 seconds. Tooltip and visual updated.

Wait, what?

Woah, that is actually pretty damn nice. Nice way to stick it to casters.

Arrath on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sounds like a massive holy paladin nerf.

Holy paladins now have a 2 minute "haha, can't interrupt me!" ability that will make them much stronger against, well, just about everything. That's probably a change to compensate for the infusion of light nerf, no more 1 second holy lights, so now paladins have a 2 minute cooldown that lets them get away with 2 second holy lights.

However, warriors are now looking to be a pretty vicious anti-holy paladin. You've got a bubble breaker and a way to cut healing without using an interrupt. Other healers, while still being hurt by the overpower change, can rely on instants far more than paladins can.

The overpower change shouldn't really do anything for offensive spellcasters, if you are taking a warrior in melee while casting an offensive spell you probably aren't worth the effort to interrupt anyways.

Looks like warriors are being set up as anti-paladins.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If that works on bosses, that is amazing. That what I would like to see arms to become, the raid utility tree. Decent dps but great buffs and shit for the raid.

Branu on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The overpower change shouldn't really do anything for offensive spellcasters, if you are taking a warrior in melee while casting an offensive spell you probably aren't worth the effort to interrupt anyways.

I see this really messing with Warlocks. Sure you can still get that Fear off, but for 6 seconds after that any dots you cast are basically useless.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I see this really messing with Warlocks. Sure you can still get that Fear off, but for 6 seconds after that any dots you cast are basically useless.

I haven't played in months, but from what I hear warlocks are almost a non-factor in PvP right now. I don't know why you wouldn't pummel the fear, unless you have berserker rage ready and the warlock isn't targetting anyone but you with the fear. A good warlock won't try to fear you without some way to actually get it off, a bad warlock is probably not something to really worry about.

Like I said, seems like a change specifically designed to kill paladins and, to a lesser extent, resto shamans who try and healtank warriors. Against an offensive spellcaster, they'll likely only use CC spells when in melee range of a warrior, so you're better off using a pummel. If pummel isn't available and they're still in melee, I guess its a nice buff but I don't see it changing any matchups.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Branu wrote: »
    If that works on bosses, that is amazing. That what I would like to see arms to become, the raid utility tree. Decent dps but great buffs and shit for the raid.

They tried this already.

It sucked.

Garthor on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Has anyone seen how Arms stacks up DPS wise on the PTR?

I'm still more intrigued by Arms than I am by Fury. I don't know why.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Has anyone seen how Arms stacks up DPS wise on the PTR?

I'm still more intrigued by Arms than I am by Fury. I don't know why.

Fury is boring? Titan's Grip was incredibly fun for about fifteen minutes, then you realize you have two buttons (bloodthirst and whirlwind) to use. Or you can be a TOP TIER Fury warrior and you use about 6 buttons.

I guess Arms isn't dramatically better, but you can pretend it is! Should you slam or rend? OOH DECISIONS!

PotatoNinja on
This discussion has been closed.