As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Tag Team Unification Match at Wrestlemania. That should be good.

Interesting. I'm gonna have to go with Miz & Morrison.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thank god, maybe they can finally give the tag titles some cache again

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to agree and disagree that the X-division is just an afterthought in TNA. Now a days, yea, its pretty meh anymore. 2 years ago or so it was a pretty big deal. When they had a storyline/feud going on between Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels and A.J. Styles that was good. The X-division title at that point seemed like a mix between a cruiserweight and IC title.

Its been said before, but one of the biggest problems with pro-wrestling right now is that in America there is no real competition for the WWE. TNA would be the closest at this point, but they still have yet to beat even ECW on scifi in ratings as far as I'm aware. So Vince doesn't have to worry about what he does because the amount of fans he would lose are so minimal. Back in the 90s he had to fight against WCW so both companies had to try their hardest to get the best stories and matches so people would watch. After the past two years I think I've given up on TNA making it up to that point to be any real threat to WWE unless they get a miracle.

Also, on the big show/vickie story, just be thankful that its not worse. I would not be surprised if worse things were thrown out first. One of the storylines thrown out about 2 years ago I think was while Stephanie was pregnant, vince said that he should be the storyline dad. Yea... I am glad stephanie has a veto power on storylines. got that story from wikipedia, fyi.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I'm going to agree and disagree that the X-division is just an afterthought in TNA. Now a days, yea, its pretty meh anymore. 2 years ago or so it was a pretty big deal. When they had a storyline/feud going on between Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels and A.J. Styles that was good. The X-division title at that point seemed like a mix between a cruiserweight and IC title.

Its been said before, but one of the biggest problems with pro-wrestling right now is that in America there is no real competition for the WWE. TNA would be the closest at this point, but they still have yet to beat even ECW on scifi in ratings as far as I'm aware. So Vince doesn't have to worry about what he does because the amount of fans he would lose are so minimal. Back in the 90s he had to fight against WCW so both companies had to try their hardest to get the best stories and matches so people would watch. After the past two years I think I've given up on TNA making it up to that point to be any real threat to WWE unless they get a miracle.

Also, on the big show/vickie story, just be thankful that its not worse. I would not be surprised if worse things were thrown out first. One of the storylines thrown out about 2 years ago I think was while Stephanie was pregnant, vince said that he should be the storyline dad. Yea... I am glad stephanie has a veto power on storylines. got that story from wikipedia, fyi.

Oh that Vince and his crazy sexual attraction to his daughter. I remember the leering at her fake breasts in the past.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    One of my favorite stories about Vince is from Triple H. He was on Opie & Anthony and they were talking about Vince, so Hunter brings up the Katie Vick storyline. He started talking about the storyline, how ridiculous it was, how much the fans hated it, but then he brought up the scene where he was supposed to fucking her corpse inside the coffin. He said that he kept laughing and they had to do the take 100 times because of how ridiculous it was and Vince off screen yelling things like "YEAH! HUMP HER HARDER! DO IT HARDER, HUNTER! GET INTO IT! MAKE IT LOOK REEEEAAALLLL!"

And the best part is, I can totally picture Vince doing that.

On an entirely different note, I'm glad they're unifying the tag titles. They cross promote the tag champions so much because it works so much better. And since they've cut down on their travel and taping schedules to save money, guys don't have to travel as much to be on all three shows.

Infact, if it was me, I'd unify all the titles at this point and trim the roster. I'd keep the World Tag Titles, the IC Title, the Women's, the World Heavyweight.

Though I'm not sure what I'd about ECW. It looks like it should be a great stepping stone, but it almost seems silly for it to have it's own title. I don't know. I think I might keep it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK, so, I keep hearing about Ring of Honor and how frakking amazing it is, but I'm not a person who likes to spend money to get entertained. Youtube has a fair amount of videos but I just don't know where to start.

So...I bow to the superior ROH gurus out there. What's a good way to start appreciating ROH without having to buy a bunch of DVD's?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    And Jericho's match has been announced. And Jesus..this is what they been building up? Really? They couldn't think of ANYTHING better?
    Y2J vs. Steamboat, Snuka and Piper.
    Figures that the Wrestlemania I'll be attending will end up being one of the worst ones.
    Hey, at least it ain't Hacksaw.
    Ugh. I never wanted to see Big Show kiss anybody ever. What the fuck, Vince? Honestly. Is it time for your yearly "fucked up storyline that no one likes but keeps getting pushed because you're a sick fuck" story already?
    Someone needs to grow the balls to say, "you know what Vince? This is not only gross, this is not amusing."

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hacksaw is in better physical shape than any of those three!

Well maybe him and Steamboat. Snuka had drug problems that broke down his body and Piper had the various injuries including, I think, two hip replacements.

But Steamboat and Duggan stayed relatively healthy as far as I can recall. Duggan's always been kind of a goof, but he's always been over with the fans. It's really the strangest thing. Steamboat been's inactive for so long that he might have one more go in him.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Show of hands. Who here plays Fire Pro Returns on PS2?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    OK, so, I keep hearing about Ring of Honor and how frakking amazing it is, but I'm not a person who likes to spend money to get entertained. Youtube has a fair amount of videos but I just don't know where to start.

So...I bow to the superior ROH gurus out there. What's a good way to start appreciating ROH without having to buy a bunch of DVD's?

Honestly, there isn't really much to find on youtube when it comes to ROH. All that's really on there is whatever they release themselves, which is usually just jobber matches or lower card stuff that isn't anything special. There's the videowires, which is usually some promos to hype upcoming shows, and some clips.

They do however, have a TV show starting this weekend. From now on, ROH will have a one-hour show saturdays on HDNet. have no idea if they're going to do a "TV shows build to the ppvs" format or if they're going to be more of a showcase to try and get DVD buys, kind of like the old ECW Hardcore TV. We'll see how it turns out.

The real product is in the DVDs/ppvs. Which means you're eiher spending money, or well, doing something illegal. I think it's worth it, personally.

Of course, it really depends on what kind of product you like. ROH is an indy fed, which means no pyro, no titantron, much smaller crowds, and just lower production values overall. The company overall pushes in-ring action far above promos and storylines. There are definately storylines and talking and such, but promos are short and storylines are usually fairly simple with some exceptions...and honestly, there's a decent amount of guys that aren't that great on the stick. They have some good talkers, but people tend to get hired and pushed more on their in-ring ability than their charisma. The roster itself is mostly smaller guys, with actual heavyweights and power wrestlers being small in number. The wrestling itself tends to focus on either more old-school technical matches, or japan-style hard-hitting matches, depending on who's wrestling.

I'd say if you're more about the in-ring action, and don't care about size and strength and production and just want to see some good wrestling, ROH is worth checking out.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty sure at least for a while a decent number of people in TNA were also in RoH, which is one of the things that I like about TNA. They allow their wrestlers to work for other promotions, though I don't know how strict they are on what promotions.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is what my problem is with TNA when I first started watching it. Are there going to be familiar faces going in or will we have to watch Ring of Honor a bit to get used to who is who? While good wrestling is good wrestling, I personally don't care much for watching any type of scripted or unscripted event if I don't have any real vested interest in either person.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure at least for a while a decent number of people in TNA were also in RoH, which is one of the things that I like about TNA. They allow their wrestlers to work for other promotions, though I don't know how strict they are on what promotions.

For most cases, it's actually the other way around. ROH made the guys, and then TNA signed them away. TNA actually kind of jerked them around, first forcing them to leave, then letting them come back, then forcing them to leave again. Guys like the Fallen Angel, AJ Styles, Joe, Homicide, Punk, Paul London, Bryan Kendrick, and Low Ki made their names in ROH first, then got picked up by WWE/TNA. TNA does let guys wreste in ROH from time to time...last year the Motor City Machine Guns had a 4-show tour, and Homicide and Joe both got to come back for a show or two. I'm not sure if we'll see TNA guys again now that they have a TV deal, though.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, one of the other things I was at least hinting to with that is their connection with New Japan since the TNA wrestlers seem to keep ending up with the IWGP titles. Though, I did just realise that I have not seen it go the other way around, so that the New Japan people can't seem to win TNA titles and I'm curious if its some sort of exclusive deal between TNA and New Japan. Like I knew Kurt Angle was the IWGP heavyweight champ for awhile, and that Team 3D has been at least once, though I think they have been 2 or 3 times total. As well as Tomko being half with... I don't remember but maybe A-train (don't remember what he's wrestling as now).

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

I play it on my PS3 sometimes. That's friggin' sweet, because I can just download people's created wrestler packs on to a USB drive, and boom, I've got a butt ton of new guys to play with. My most favorite thing to do though, and it has been since Super Fire Pro Wrestling X, is to have a 6-man Battle Royale where I'm Vader, and not let the match end until I've criticalled every other competitor. Usually takes a bit, but it's totally fun.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then Benoit basically goes nuts and the fans are too scared to invest emotionally into a certain character.

This.

Jeff Hardy is close at the moment, but even then he's a Nancy Grace special waiting to happen too.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

It is great, great fun. Especially with downloaded created wrestlers - within about 2 weeks after picking it up I think I had every classic wrestler I could possibly want, and a large number of (then) current guys as well.

Ketar on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Then Benoit basically goes nuts and the fans are too scared to invest emotionally into a certain character.

This.

Jeff Hardy is close at the moment, but even then he's a Nancy Grace special waiting to happen too.

Bah Jeff overcame his drug issues, now if only he could overcome his love of white facepaint and nice and easy hair color.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So you all use save packs? I need to start up a save of all of my edits. Damn you lazy people and your "I'm not creating these guys. GIVE ME A SAVE."

Anyway, until I do make a save, here is what I just put up on my site. I think if I had a set schedule of when I release guys that I would have a larger audience. Heh. Oh well.

Nemesis (Resident Evil 3)
    L_Nemesis.pngAction_Nemesis.png

Tyrant (Resident Evil 1)
    L_Tyrant.pngAction_Tyrant.png

Thoughts on these two edits? I have real wrestlers that I want to post too, but I have been in such a create every game character that will work mood that I haven't posted some of my real ones.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Bah Jeff overcame his drug issues

So did Eddie....

Do pain killers screw with your heart as much as steroids?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder whose great idea it was to SHOW THE SAME FUCKING NCAA GAME ON TWO CHANNELS INSTEAD OF SMACKDOWN. :|O_o:x

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wonder whose great idea it was to SHOW THE SAME FUCKING NCAA GAME ON TWO CHANNELS INSTEAD OF SMACKDOWN. :|O_o:x

You know, I was browsing channels last night and it said "Nashville vs. Chicago" for an NHL game. I was like sweet, I get to watch an out of town game. What is it really? Stupid basketball.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am up late as hell right now browsing through everything on my external HD. Found a TNA video I made using live footage I took from events in Florida in like 2006. Used "Scotty Doesn't Know" from Eurotrip as the song for the video. I miss going to TNA events. I wish I could post the video, but last time I put it on YouTube they took it down. JERKS!

Best part is the end when Christian (his first title run) is coming down the ramp talking shit about Scott Steiner to the crowd.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maffew wants to know who would you vote to be inducted into the Botchamania Hall of Fame 2009? There can be only one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mixnAIN1hxo

Post your vote/comment on the comment section of the video, and he'll count the votes in a month's time (April 18th). Winner gets their own 'amania' vid.

Personally I haven't a clue who to vote for.

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In case there's any people new to the wrestling thread who are interested, there is currently a Penny Arcade e-wrestling fed going on at the Critical Failures board. We've had a lot of dropouts and are looking for more people, so if anyone's interested, you're more than welcome.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-PkYVxM_d0&feature=related

He's so pissed off and has no idea what to do. I love it.

EDIT: Err, yeah, dumb comment.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    He's not actually pissed off...he's acting more heelish to adjust for the crowd. He was taking on RVD in an ECW venue in front of an ECW crowd...I doubt the were that surprised.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sabu had better win that vote.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2009
    That match is amazing. Cena's ability to just switch to a cocky heel and rub it in the face of the ECW crowd was perfect.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That ECW match shows how great Cena is. A lesser wrestler would have kept trying to play face, but Cena adapted to the situation perfectly.

I love the tossing the shirt back and forth bit.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That match is amazing. Cena's ability to just switch to a cocky heel and rub it in the face of the ECW crowd was perfect.

I don't give Cena credit for much, but that was very well played by him.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When Cena has a chance to be more charismatic or be able to play off the crowd I think he is a very good mic person. He really doesn't get as many good chances as he used to it seems. I think he used to be best before they fully made him a face as his promos were unique. I do give him a lot of credit for playing off of the crowd at the ECW One Night Stand. I also think at least his scripted attitude, not sure if its his real attitude, is good. More or less its if they boo him or cheer him, he's there to entertain and he'll give it his all.

I still don't like his matches what so ever, and I still cannot believe the FU is now the attitude adjustment.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cena's one of the best workers in the business from where I stand. I can't think of a single person in WWE that's had more great matches over the last 3 years or so. He may not be technically gifted, but he knows how to work a good match, and make his opponents look good even when he wins.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Daily Motion is full of wrestling clips, so I've been spending the last couple days watching old/recent WWE matches. I never really was interested in the women's division, but after seeing a couple of Trish Stratus's later matches, I'm actually pretty impressed at her wrestling abilities.

Also, I loved this promo:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Notzi81/video/x2gbya_rock-and-y2js-catchphrase-war_fun

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh god. The Catchphrase War promo. That's one of the Jericho's best, right up there with The Man of 1001 Holds.

I really prefer the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah Jericho over this current Jericho.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That clip never gets old, man those were fun times for watching wrestling.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Weeee. Lesnar was an absolute monster from day 1. Look what he does to Spike.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x8h1_brock-lesnar-debuts_sport

I think this video was the next week. Not only does he catch Jeff, but he powerbombs him three time, including a spinning to end it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25kfi_brock-lesnar-destroys-hardyz_sport

This was another video from the same time period. Rikishi was weighing about 380-400 at that point and Lesnar lifts him effortlessly.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2drnm_brock-lesnar-destroys-rikishi_sport

Just an absolute beast. I really miss him.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh god. The Catchphrase War promo. That's one of the Jericho's best, right up there with The Man of 1001 Holds.

I really prefer the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah Jericho over this current Jericho.

ARMBAR!

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »

ARMBAR!

Whups. I said it wrong. Jericho's the master of 1004 holds.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37gh6_chris-jerichos-1004-holds-funny_fun

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »

ARMBAR!

Whups. I said it wrong. Jericho's the master of 1004 holds.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37gh6_chris-jerichos-1004-holds-funny_fun

If I remember correctly from his book, WCW was so dysfunctional at that point that they didn't really care about anybody other then the top guys so the 1004 holds bit was mostly worked up by Jericho himself.

Also, I always laugh at "moss covered three handled family grudunzle"

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
This discussion has been closed.