Options

Fuck Muscle Cramps, this is a Teddy Roosevelt thread

• Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited March 2009
    just

you know, for the sake of argument

I don't have a real problem with spanking, but the vast majority of the literature and studies on the subject suggest that corporal punishment teaches kids only what they can get away with and what they can't -- not right or wrong, or how to make responsible decisions.

So, yeah, it can be convenient as a parent, and you can raise your kid to be obedient but I'd worry about what happens when they're a teenager or away at college and they haven't internalized responsible decision making and self-control.

Although I'm sure that if it's a real once-in-a-blue-moon thing it's probably different, but there's actually really good evidence that reasoning with children ultimately pays big dividends, and that corporal punishment is easy for the parent in the short-term but doesn't get at the underlying causes of bad behavior and it doesn't develop a moral framework.

Like I said, I'm sure if you don't rely on it exclusively, it's probably not so bad, but still people are just incredibly glib about corporal punishment of children when almost all the evidence says otherwise.

Plenty of kids get raised by "yuppies" who don't use corporal punishment and turn out completely well-behaved and high-achieving, myself and most of my friends that I grew up with included. Frankly we turned out a lot better than the few friends we knew who got spanked, but just like examples of whiny kids in supermarkets, it's all anecdotal.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Smacking your offspring around after a hard days work is just one of life's simple pleasures.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can count on two hands the number of whippings I got, and I turned out as a decent person; I'm not advocating an ass-whipping a day, but they were the last line of discipline when I couldn't seem to get shit through my head. You can talk to a four-year-old till you're blue in the face, but a swat is worth a thousand words.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The talk helps them learn, the smack helps them remember.

Javen on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    also, the linemen in the left of the picture are terrifying

I was playing defensive end all day, hahaha.

The big girl in the black on the left is Maddox. She moved to Seattle this year and used to play on a different team, but she's fucking awesome and hits hard. Some of the other teams have these fucking huge girls but then they don't hit very hard. Seattle seems to have smaller girls, for the most part. We took a squad of almost entirely rookies down to this scrimmage in California and managed to beat two teams and tie one of the other ones. A few of us were playing positions we'd never played before.

I am now covered in bruises. Both forearms, both biceps, one knee is scraped and bruised and my thumb is bruised and hurts to bend it. And my neck is sore.

And I have practice tonight. Ugh.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sometimes kids do incredibly stupid and dangerous things and a physical reminder is in order.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Of course, the rational answer is that every child is different and as a parent it is your job to understand how your child can be punished.

Some kids can be talked to, some just need a slap.

Saph on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Javen wrote: »

I usually got the smack before the talk.

As an addendum, I didn't get leather across my ass after the age of ten; my parents just thought it was far more efficient to take my games and my books away. My TV had a special wheeled stand it sat on for just such an occasion.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My parents would let me know it made them angry or disappointed, and I would be distraught. I've probably been smacked about 3 times.

Saph on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Javen wrote: »

I usually got the smack before the talk.

As an addendum, I didn't get leather across my ass after the age of ten; my parents just thought it was far more efficient to take my games and my books away. My TV had a special wheeled stand it sat on for just such an occasion.
    for some reason my parents thought that 14 was a good stopping age, and lemme tell ya, punishing a teenager with a belt is going to do fuckall

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All this thread has done is prove that Texas needs to give us Dead Legend, Darth Waiter, and the secret recipe for Texas toast and then secede the fuck away from the US.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    for some reason my parents thought that 14 was a good stopping age, and lemme tell ya, punishing a teenager with a belt is going to do fuckall

Yeah, see, that's some bullshit. After the age of ten or so, there's a lot of mental faculties to work with. The physical discipline that we use on my roommate's daughter is push-ups, ten for each time she runs off at the mouth and we do them with her.

It helps to drive home the point that she done fucked up while keeping the punishment humane.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    All this thread has done is prove that Texas needs to give us Dead Legend, Darth Waiter, and the secret recipe for Texas toast and then secede the fuck away from the US.

You are too kind, but there's a great deal of cool shit here, like Natural Bridge Caverns and South Padre Island.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You are too kind, but there's a great deal of cool shit here, like Natural Bridge Caverns and South Padre Island.

Oh my goodness, you may have received a text message from SPI after I was a little inebriated.

Mysst got one too.

So did just about everybody in my phonebook.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

Yeah, see, that's some bullshit. After the age of ten or so, there's a lot of mental faculties to work with. The physical discipline that we use on my roommate's daughter is push-ups, ten for each time she runs off at the mouth and we do them with her.

It helps to drive home the point that she done fucked up while keeping the punishment humane.
    yeah, once I hit the teens I started getting punished for some just weird-ass reasons that really should have been resolved with plain talking and giving of reasons. luckily I'm pretty forgiving so you know, no strained relationship with them beyond having to explain how gravity is different than centrifugal force and that the earth spinning is not what makes us stick.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh my goodness, you may have received a text message from SPI after I was a little inebriated.

Mysst got one too.

That is a negative, Ghost Rider; my phone has been off since we're trimming the fat from the budget in the house. Luckily, I got a job offer at a consistent gig that should be starting soon.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Mysst got one too.

That is a negative, Ghost Rider; my phone has been off since we're trimming the fat from the budget in the house. Luckily, I got a job offer at a consistent gig that should be starting soon.

God, what a lameass.

I only have perfect punctuation in text messages when I'm hammered.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That is slightly ironic.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That is slightly ironic.

IT'S LIKE RAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAIIIN

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That is slightly ironic.

Well, how else are the fucking bastards going to understand me?

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The more people talk about Texas the more I want to move down there. It's like people actually have power down there and are not regulated up the ass.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Texas is mostly awful. It has some good parts, but on the whole, awful.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Texas gave us the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It also gave us George Bush Jr. (for the most part, though Conneticut is partly to blame on this one)

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    austin is awesome enough to make up for all of its horribleness

Doxa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I'm raising an eyebrow at you, ever so sternly.

As an aside, how does one go about using WEB MD? I have some wicked neck and back pain as well as a swollen left ear that has a localized fever, like an infection, but there's no cut or anything. It's been off and on for about 2 weeks.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Swollen ear? As in cauliflowered and full of fluid?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Doxa wrote: »
    austin is awesome enough to make up for all of its horribleness
    eeehhhhh

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Oh come on, Dee Dub, you and I both know Texas has some shitty, shitty places within its borders, as well as an above average number of brain dead jackoffs. I'm not saying it's the worst, per capita (I think Florida takes the gold on that one), but it's still pretty bad.

Though I will say that Austin is pretty fucking awesome.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

As an aside, how does one go about using WEB MD? I have some wicked neck and back pain as well as a swollen left ear that has a localized fever, like an infection, but there's no cut or anything. It's been off and on for about 2 weeks.

You stop trying to self-diagnose and get to a doctor, if it matters that much to you.

Or I guess you can type in symptoms and stuff, but I hear that trying to find out what's wrong is generally frowned on by doctors who have to deal with "WebMD said that my sprained ankle might indicate a genetic disposition towards amputation of feet and being a general hypochondriac"

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

you might have staph

go get a culture done

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cut your ear off

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Giant Texas AIDS.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Swollen ear? As in cauliflowered and full of fluid?

Nah, just swelling like slightly inflamed. I haven't had a fever or anything, so I'm guessing it was a localized infection. It's not staph, though, Thank God. I had a bout with that once and got it cleared up with the quickness.

Like I said, it's off and on and nothing more than inconvenient. If I start twitching or anything, I'll hit up a doctor.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

you might have staph

go get a culture done

He doesn't play for the Browns so I think he's safe.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ZING!

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did you get your membership card?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i just got back from scoring an internship with the local ACLU

wootles

Wow, you and the ACLU.

WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT, I MEAN REALLY

Hunter on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    i just got back from scoring an internship with the local ACLU

wootles

Wow, you and the ACLU.

WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT, I MEAN REALLY

lulz

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.