Options

The Witcher: on 360/PS3 fall 2009

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It needs more oppurtunities to kill witches. You are a witchER after all.

On my first playthough I hated on all magic users as much as I could.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In Sapkowski, the Witchers actually have a special deal with witches and they get along real nice like.

Which is why they call them Witchers. Male counterpart to witches.

I'm told it's not lame in polish.

Maticore on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I need to play it again, this time to support the elves and dwarves...but they are so emo.

"Oh woe is us we are discriminated against" *stab stab stab
    Oh come. A prolonged campaign of what will, in the end, effectively amount to genocide is slightly more than 'mere' discrimination.

Then again, discrimination is pretty good reason to start stabbing anyway.

Emo. Pfft.
    I always thought that it was pretty interesting to read about how Geralt met Toruviel in the first Witcher book. Apparently (according to the elves) when the humans arrived to the world of the Witcher the natural or magical laws started to change for the worse for the elves. It's kind of interesting since even if the humans and elves were to bury the hatchet, the elves might still face extinction anyway since the universial constants that they evolved from is slowly being phased out.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Toruviel was a bitch when they first met in the book.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, Geralt had a fantastic cure for that.
    Free headbutts for asshole elves! Broken noses complimentary!

Silpheed on
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Well, Geralt had a fantastic cure for that.
    Free headbutts for asshole elves! Broken noses complimentary!

My girlfriend once thought that would solve a minor dispute we have. My glasses are still screwed.

In other news I am dying to get home and play this game till dawn. I'm working my way through Chapter III and it's awesome. Any good mods for the game that I should know about?

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm actually excited for the second book coming out in 2 weeks. I really liked the first book.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Enns wrote: »
    My girlfriend once thought that would solve a minor dispute we have. My glasses are still screwed.

In other news I am dying to get home and play this game till dawn. I'm working my way through Chapter III and it's awesome. Any good mods for the game that I should know about?
    For as far as I am aware there are no mods, only some extra missions made by fans.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I'm actually excited for the second book coming out in 2 weeks. I really liked the first book.

Pretty sure it's out, and called Blood of the Elves.

It's been sat in my bag for about a week, I should probably read it.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arasaki wrote: »

Pretty sure it's out

Not in Amurrica it isn't

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Have I mentioned that I'm really glad to see this heading to the 360?

Sheep on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I made a bad choice back when I helped out
    Haren Brogg
    and now I'm paying for it.
    The Scoia'tel killed Coleman. Jerks. Now I have to find a way to steal some fisstech from the Salamandra.

Chapter 2 is good times. Except I realized Shani is kind of a bitch. And her grandma...what the hell.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There is a long-winded way to get rid of grandma, it involves the shoeshine guy and a special book. I forgot exactly how it worked, but you could look it up I suppose.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    There is a long-winded way to get rid of grandma, it involves the shoeshine guy and a special book. I forgot exactly how it worked, but you could look it up I suppose.

You know, I hadn't quite put the pieces together yet, but I knew there was something significant going there since when I stole all of granny's stuff it went into Quest Items. I'll play around until I can figure it out. I think I have to give grandma the right gift first. She says she's cold, but she apparently doesn't want a shawl.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maticore wrote: »
    In Sapkowski, the Witchers actually have a special deal with witches and they get along real nice like.

So it should have just been called Warlock?

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fawst wrote: »

Well, that's not exactly an accurate description either.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

20041024h.jpg

Geralt's not really a Warlock. He doesn't use proper magic (at least not in the context of the setting), Signs are a sort of a basic magic tool that Witcher's use. Probably the best way to think of it is that you wouldn't call them mages in the same way that you wouldn't call a Witch a warrior just because they had a handy dagger.

subedii on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It should have been Hexer.

But then there's that pesky game called Hexen. Copyright silliness would have ensued, and so they just decided to go with Witcher.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, Wikipedia has the following to say on the matter:
    The name "witcher"

The original Polish name for "witcher" is "wiedźmin". The English translation preferred by Andrzej Sapkowski was initially "hexer" and is the name used in the international version of the film adaptation. "Hexe" and "Hexer" are the German terms for "witch" and "warlock". However, CD Projekt chose to translate "Hexer" literally to "witcher" in the The Witcher computer game, and this version was subsequently used by Danuta Stok in her translation of the book The Last Wish, as well as by Sapkowski himself in the book Historia i fantastyka.

Alternatively, the word warlock has been used informally in English translations, while "witcher", being a neologism in English (as wiedźmin is in Polish) arguably describes better the spirit of Geralt's profession.

subedii on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    So I'm tempted to get this, and will probably end up doing so. I downloaded the demo, and the combat seemed kind of shallow. Does it pick up in the actual retail version?

The style of combat remains largely the same. What changes as you progress is that your skills gain additional effects and combos increase in length, but the core gameplay mechanic (timed presses) doesn't change. More important (especially at the highest difficulty) is your potion and oil usage to give you the edge in combat.
    Also, I had this weird problem where the cutscenes looked ABYSMAL. Character's faces were pixellated, and there was tons of pop in. These problems vanished once the cutscenes ended. The actual gameplay looked miles better than the cutscenes. No pop in, no jaggies, no ugly low res textures. Why would this happen?

No idea. Were you having any performance issues as well? IIRC the demo is still based off of the original version of the game, not the enhanced edition. The EE made a huge difference to performance, amongst other things.

I couldn't say whether what you're experiencing is something that was fixed in the EE though, since I never saw anything like that in the demo or the original version.
    Hmmm. I had absolutely no performance problems. I ran it at all high with around 60 fps. No pop in or anything that I noticed. The actual gameplay looked significantly better than the cutscenes.

I had the same problem, it was caused by a combination of depth of field and anti-aliasing.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So did I miss out on anything major with (Chapter 2)
    Coleman dead?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coleman dead?
    regular fistech, sweet sweet candy.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coleman dead?
    I think there is also a sidequest that involves him as well, but I'm not sure if it's undoable if you've condemed him by trading with the elves, as you might be able to do it if you beeline to him before progressing the story at all.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, two things:

1) I was completely kidding about calling it The Warlock. I was really just (failing at) channeling the pretty hilarious PA comic, Further Songs of Sorcelation.

2) There's a fucking film adaptation??? Is it... is it any GOOD?

EDIT: Apparently not.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Coleman dead?
    I think there is also a sidequest that involves him as well, but I'm not sure if it's undoable if you've condemed him by trading with the elves, as you might be able to do it if you beeline to him before progressing the story at all.

Meh, too late for that. I guess living with the consequences is what the game is all about, so I'll just go with it, even though the power gamer in me cries out to reload my hours-ago save and fix things.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, two things:

1) I was completely kidding about calling it The Warlock. I was really just (failing at) channeling the pretty hilarious PA comic, Further Songs of Sorcelation.

2) There's a fucking film adaptation??? Is it... is it any GOOD?

According to Wikipedia, not really.

EDIT:
    Coleman dead?

Meh, too late for that. I guess living with the consequences is what the game is all about, so I'll just go with it, even though the power gamer in me cries out to reload my hours-ago save and fix things.

I thin it would be worth noting that pretty much every binary choice you come up with during the main quest impacts what happens latter... so that urge is going to come up a lot the further you go on...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coleman dead?

Yeah, I had to get over it too. There are so many and honestly there's not a good "power gamer" way to go through most of them.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    ...honestly there's not a good "power gamer" way to go through most of them.

This is why I can't wait for the console release. I don't have a PC that can handle this (not even close), and the idea of a game where you can't see your actions consequences until much later is awesome.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

This is why I can't wait for the console release. I don't have a PC that can handle this (not even close), and the idea of a game where you can't see your actions consequences until much later is awesome.

Yeah, honestly, it is pretty awesome. You find yourself really weighing all of your options instead of just going, "I'm a good guy! I press the good guy button!"

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, honestly, it is pretty awesome. You find yourself really weighing all of your options instead of just going, "I'm a good guy! I press the good guy button!"

In Chapter III when
    you choose between Triss and whatshertits.

I'm still wondering if I did the right thing. Shit I need to get back in the game now.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shani is a total bitch though.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

In practically every other RPG it's always so frigging obvious which choice is for "good" players, and which for "evil". In the Witcher there's rarely any such thing as an outright moral or immoral choice, decisions have immediate consequences but they also have knock on effects that may completely undermine your intentions. The game itself exists in a world of greys and Geralt largely reflect that. For him decisions usually come down to what he feels would achieve his goals best. Morality typically stays on the sidelines watching the match.

Saying it like that makes Geralt sound evil, but really that's not the case. He's just far more pragmatic than most game heroes, who always go out of their way to be specifically "good" or "evil".

The tagline says it all really:

"There is No Good, No Evil - Only Decisions and Consequence"

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Saying it like that makes Geralt sound evil, but really that's not the case. He's just far more pragmatic than most game heroes, who always go out of their way to be specifically "good" or "evil".

Yeah, the game actually tends to reward you for being "neutral" and making the most balanced decision possible. In some cases it actually ends up penalizing you for trying to "do the right thing."

I've spent so many hours in Chapter 2 and not even been to the swamp yet.

Swamp stomping begins tonight.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, the game actually tends to reward you for being "neutral" and making the most balanced decision possible. In some cases it actually ends up penalizing you for trying to "do the right thing."

I've spent so many hours in Chapter 2 and not even been to the swamp yet.

Swamp stomping begins tonight.

It's like someone somewhere finally decided to make an RPG for grown-ups.
    Usually, both options are not very good in this game. The two sides in the conflict are composed by assholes.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So no matter what, someone's probably getting fucked when you make a choice. Just choose what fucks you, personally, the least? I like it!

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So no matter what, someone's probably getting fucked when you make a choice. Just choose what fucks you, personally, the least? I like it!
    Eh, not entirely true, you can make your choices so that at least some people are better off because of your actions.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

She greets you in her underwear at night. That makes it up big time.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

so true! :winky:

I've almost finishes the main story arc and I consistently chose +love Shani options and +help nonhumans. I'm kinda tempted to start fresh when I finish it and go the exact opposite route. Witcher is so sweet. WTB Witcher expansions/mods!

Dman on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dman wrote: »

I've almost finishes the main story arc and I consistently chose +love Shani options and +help nonhumans. I'm kinda tempted to start fresh when I finish it and go the exact opposite route. Witcher is so sweet. WTB Witcher expansions/mods!

Neutrality actually makes for the most interesting story progression, just fyi :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »

Neutrality actually makes for the most interesting story progression, just fyi :P

Speaking of expansions/mods. What are the extra adventures like, are they worth playing through?

Rook on
This discussion has been closed.