• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Shani is a total bitch though.

She greets you in her underwear at night. That makes it up big time.

so true! :winky:

I've almost finishes the main story arc and I consistently chose +love Shani options and +help nonhumans. I'm kinda tempted to start fresh when I finish it and go the exact opposite route. Witcher is so sweet. WTB Witcher expansions/mods!

Neutrality actually makes for the most interesting story progression, just fyi :P

Speaking of expansions/mods. What are the extra adventures like, are they worth playing through?

price of neutrality is pretty good, haven't played much of side effects so i dont know about that.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Geralt is full of neutrality in his heart!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    I consistently chose +help nonhumans.

I was all about helping the Squirrels right up until
    they used the supplies I gave them to murder Coleman.
    Now they're going to pay.

Think I'm almost done with the swamp - that was a hell of an experience. I discovered the awesomeness of upgraded Igni and killed slews of drowners and bloedzuigers. I appeased the fishy gods and got freaky with a naked plant lady. I even killed a cannibal and his army of magically-appearing plant avengers. Good times had by all.

Now if I only I could find that last stupid sephira, the one I'm supposed to come upon "by chance."

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I finally played the demo for this last night, at roughly 12 AM. :P

Surprisingly not as horror oriented as it was marketed--the isometric perspective helps me quite a bit in that department. I'm normally very affected by anything with the slightest bit of eerie atmosphere, but I was ambushed by a ghoul and barely blinked. Also, the sorcerer girl has DOA levels of jiggle.

I think the long hours of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic have helped me on this--I'm not only a huge wimp in the face of the supernatural, but also with spiders.

Roughly 2/3 of my playtime on DMMM was being attacked by spiders.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Well, I finally played the demo for this last night, at roughly 12 AM. :P

Surprisingly not as horror oriented as it was marketed--the isometric perspective helps me quite a bit in that department. I'm normally very affected by anything with the slightest bit of eerie atmosphere, but I was ambushed by a ghoul and barely blinked. Also, the sorcerer girl has DOA levels of jiggle.

I think the long hours of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic have helped me on this--I'm not only a huge wimp in the face of the supernatural, but also with spiders.

Roughly 2/3 of my playtime on DMMM was being attacked by spiders.

Wait until you get to the swamp. Especially at night.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Horror? You're a badass witcher, the monsters are afraid of you!

Rook on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, Witcher isn't horror.

Playing it as an isometric game kinda sucked the life out of it for me, though. 3rd person mode all the way!

Aldo on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dammit, I am usually good at gambling. Zoltan just took all my money.

Time to hunt up trophies.

captaink on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    captaink wrote: »

Quickload spam over here.

Yes it's cheap, but man those freaking books are expensive.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    captaink wrote: »

I just reloaded every time. :P Cheating like woah

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I usually do, but I forgot to this time.

Luckily I have the books from chapter 1 already. I think I'll go hunt the two trophies and the ghouls and build up cash, then take all mine back from that bastard dwarf.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Playing it as an isometric game kinda sucked the life out of it for me, though. 3rd person mode all the way!

Same here. I started the game in iso and quickly switched to 3rd person. Works way better for me.

I'm going to have to go on a dice run here soon. I've been mostly broke-ish ever since buying all the books I needed in Chapter 2, and that armor looks nooooice. Also, forging swords from meteorites of different colors - yes or no? I have 2 reds and a blue, trying to decide if I should wait for a third red or a better sword to reforge or whatnot.

Is it possible to get three runes for my silver sword in Chapter 2? I have two and can't seem to find anymore.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This round I'm going to forge a new steel sword as soon as I get three meteorites. The bonuses from 3 of one color aren't too fantastic, and you get much better unique swords as quest rewards in chapters 3 and 4.

Silver I'm going to do the same, there's a badass silver sword for helping the lady of the lake in chapter 4.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Meteorite swords are quickly useless when you get other swords.

I couldn't find any runes for silver swords until much later. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Horror? You're a badass witcher, the monsters are afraid of you!

Then why don't they leave me alone?

:P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The pant-wetting terror they experience makes them stupid, very stupid.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I sure wish fear didn't make the Beast so stupid. He was so scared he kept accidentally mauling me to death on his hideously sharp fangs that are also on fire.

subedii on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I just finished my second playthrough where I sided with
    the Order. Fuck you Siegfried, I bust my ass to help you and you are even doubting the command of the order and then you decide to go on a non-human pogrome after the game is over? I'm fucking happy that I went neutral the first time since that gave me an opportunity to kill both you and Yaevinn in various spectacular and gory ways. Shame that the Order version of the final armor looks kickass though.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I sure wish fear didn't make the Beast so stupid. He was so scared he kept accidentally mauling me to death on his hideously sharp fangs that are also on fire.

It's all about the Specter Oil, baby. Buy some from Abigail before all the business goes down. It makes that fight cake.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It's all about the Specter Oil, baby. Buy some from Abigail before all the business goes down. It makes that fight cake.

Bah, I made my own spectre oil, thanks.

I was playing on hard though, his paralysing attack always nails you unless you manage to cheese him first with Aard.

subedii on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game is such a great example of how to do atmosphere.

It's so wonderfully... off.

The whole idea of everything, so great.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I was playing on hard though, his paralysing attack always nails you unless you manage to cheese him first with Aard.

Ah, hard mode, haven't tried that yet. Maybe for my next playthrough. Where'd you get the specter oil recipe? I'm near the end of Chapter 2 and still haven't seen it.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So... been reading this thread a bit and I'm kind of curious. How much would I want to shoot myself trying to play this on a computer with 512 RAM and a video card that has even less RAM than that?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    So... been reading this thread a bit and I'm kind of curious. How much would I want to shoot myself trying to play this on a computer with 512 RAM and a video card that has even less RAM than that?
    min sys reqs:

windows xp/vista
    pentium 4 2.4ghz/athlon 64 +2800
    1024mb ram
    128mb video RAM or greater with dx9 vertex shader/pixel shader 2.0 support (nvidia geforce 6600 or ati radeon 9800 or better)
    8.5gb free hdd space.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure a gig of ram costs less than this game does.

Rook on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arthil wrote: »

I would not recommend it. The game seems very poorly optimised, with lots of framerate stuttering and such. I just finished Crysis and Crysis: Warhead, I played both of them with everything set to max, and I generally got a smoother framerate than with this.

I'm not saying that you need a Quad Core or an i7 to play this, because you don't. Not even nearly. But I wouldn't even try to run the game with less than system requirements. I doubt I'd bother with less than the recommended hardware.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just bought this on Steam, and maybe I'm missing it, but is there an option to change the spoken language from English in the Steam version? I'm not very far into the game and the voice acting is making my head hurt. None of the VA's have any kind of inflection or emotion...

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just bought this on Steam, and maybe I'm missing it, but is there an option to change the spoken language from English in the Steam version? I'm not very far into the game and the voice acting is making my head hurt. None of the VA's have any kind of inflection or emotion...

I'm almost certain that the steam version you have is the Enhanced Edition - if not, not only is the woice acting considerably worse, there's no official support for mulitple languages. If you do have the EE, it should have been one of the options at install - you check the boxes for the languages you want, although they might all be selected by default.

Then you simply go into the sound options from the menu screen, and drag the slider for 'language' across to another language - Polish would obviously be preferred if you want the 'classic' VA.

For what it's worth, I'd persist with the voice acting until at least partway into Chapter 1 - the VA in the prologue is emotionless because it's almost exclusively between serious, serious people. Things perk up dramatically with the various NPCs in the following chapters, but is obviously up to you.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I got the Enhanced version. But given that it was through Steam, there was no traditional "install" process, and I wasn't given the option to decide what languages to include. I checked the Audio options, but didn't see anywhere to change the dialogue.

I guess I'll stick with it. These people are terrible, though. It's like they don't know the meaning or context of the words they're reading and no one bothered explaining it to them. The dude who plays Geralt actually has a cool voice, but he's so utterly deadpan, it ruins it.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cheer up, except for one of them
    you'll never see or hear the rest again

Aldo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't played it in a while but I'm sure somewhere in options you can change the language.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Ah, hard mode, haven't tried that yet. Maybe for my next playthrough. Where'd you get the specter oil recipe? I'm near the end of Chapter 2 and still haven't seen it.

Couldn't remember so I looked it up. Apparently Abigail will sell you the recipe so that must be where I got it from.

In chapter 2, don't know. Abigail isn't around so who knows. There might be a book or scroll with one of the vendors.

subedii on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    I haven't played it in a while but I'm sure somewhere in options you can change the language.

You actually download separate language packs from their website - there're so many lines in witcher that to include every language they have would be like fourish gigs IIRC, so they have you pick and choose. I have been told that they work on the steam version.

Maticore on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, so I'm retarded and I don't remember how to download the EE patch (I have the original version). Anyone care to guide me through the process?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I first downloaded the game off of steam, I set it to Polish with English subs and played it for a few hours. When I came back to it later, it was back in English.

I think the steam version comes with at least English and Polish VA (possibly more), but the game likely automatically sets the language based on whatever steam or Windows is set to.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, so I'm retarded and I don't remember how to download the EE patch (I have the original version). Anyone care to guide me through the process?

You need to register your game on their website first, and then you should see the links to download it all: http://www.thewitcher.com/registration/

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is the most annoying game to even approach running. Even downloading the demo was awful. Having done a bit of the demo, though, I think I want to get this when I get a new computer. It's interesting, but it runs like lead and looks like crap on my current one.

How is the Enhanced Edition different from the Unenhanced one?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)#Enhanced_Edition
    The significant changes featured in the enhanced version are over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, redesigned inventory system and load times reduced by roughly 80%. In addition all bugs are said to be fixed and the game manual completely overhauled. There are also two new adventures available to play through: Side Effects and The Price of Neutrality. A new option is to mix and match ten different languages of voice and subtitles. For instance, players can now choose to play the game with Polish voices and English subtitles. Other featured languages are Russian, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Czech, Hungarian and Chinese.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is the most annoying game to even approach running. Even downloading the demo was awful. Having done a bit of the demo, though, I think I want to get this when I get a new computer. It's interesting, but it runs like lead and looks like crap on my current one.

How is the Enhanced Edition different from the Unenhanced one?

I won't disagree about it running poorly, because it sometimes struggles on my brand new computer which is pretty damn good. However, if/when you get a computer that can handle it, I definitely recommend it. Once I got it running, I had so much fun with it, and the moral system is exactly what I want a lot more games to use.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm curious about this game and will join in the fun. I'm going to witch the fuck out of some fucking witches.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.