As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The DC Universe (Established 2011) + Sept. Solicits

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munch wrote: »

Munch. I'm sorry but you will be getting the bill from my ophthalmologist for that spoiler.

Maximum on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

Please don't ever post that image again.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have to.

It will stay with you forever.

Munch on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If batman is younger.... that would cull a whole lot of robins from continuity right?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What if Dick, Jason, and Tim were all the same age?

Tairu on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What if there were 2 Supermen made of electricity

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What if Superman is the only man capable of taking Wonder Woman's virginity?

Algertman on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What if there were 2 Supermen made of electricity

:v:
    Algertman wrote: »
    What if Superman is the only man capable of taking Wonder Woman's virginity?

:v: :v:

Solar on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What if Batman was stuck in the Hyborian Age?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What if Batman was stuck in the Hyborian Age?

:^:

Solar on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, I was looking forward to the Mr. Terrific series until you all made me doubt that. I'd never heard of Wallace, but now it sounds like it'll be awful :( I might pick up the first issue anyways, because he was one of my favorites from JSA, always wanted to see more of him.

Also looking at Wonder Woman (although not sure how Azzarello will write her), JLI, and maybe Firestorm.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    One thing I forgot to mention; Cliff Chiang actually makes Jim Lee's Wonder Woman redesign look good.

I think it's because he doesn't make her look so waifish, with her breasts almost popping out of her top.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What if Wonder Woman is the only woman capable of taking Superman's virginity?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that top definitely works better when it's not skin tight.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Duane Swierczynski writing a Batman book?

At the very least he signed a DC non disclosure agreement, meaning he's writing something for the company.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd actually love that.

He is a pretty good writer, his Iron Fist was fantastic.

thinking about that I hope there is a Dr. Fate series somewhere in this relaunch

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

At the very least he signed a DC non disclosure agreement, meaning he's writing something for the company.
    See now, that's awesome. That guy can write great neo-noir, and he killed it on The Immortal Iron Fist.

I kind of want to make a big wishlist of books I'd like to see DC make, and the creative teams I'd like to see on them. #1 would be a Martian Manhunter book, written by John Layman.

Also, I'd somehow forgotten that Azzarello and Chiang had done Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality together, which has me more excited for Wonder Woman.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah Azzarello can do fun stuff, and the fact that Chiang is on art makes it look like it won't be a dark, gritty take on Diana.

Hell, I'm buying it and I am incredibly indifferent to Wonder Woman.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Firestorm, you've seen better days:
    315cy28.jpg

It's like someone's grabbed me by the shoulders and shouted into my face, "'90s!"

Munch on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Paul Cornell's tweets seem to suggest a full reboot:

Best things about the DC relaunch 1: 'Where do I start with DC?' 'Anywhere.'

Best things about the DC relaunch 2: comic conversations will now be about story, not continuity. 'Good twist? Great plot?' That's back.

Best things about the DC relaunch 3: it gives the general public a chance and a reason to buy comics, at the same time.

The only way Point 2 works is if the old continuity doesn't matter anymore. If they do the whole "well this might be in, and that might be out, and we don't know about this" shit like from Crisis, then the conversation will only be about continuity.

Starting from a blank slate would help that.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eeeeh

If they lost the silly shoulder points it would be fine

Especially if they are keeping the whole "we are going to explode and kill everyone soon" and that is the dangerous Pure Firestorm that Ronnie and Jason use in tandem.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It just looks very Day-Glo Ghostrider, to me. I mean, he's even holding a fiery whip.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Firestorm, you've seen better days:
    315cy28.jpg

It's like someone's grabbed me by the shoulders and shouted into my face, "'90s!"

Age of Apocalypse- holocaust much?

406px-Holocaust_(Age_of_Apocalypse)_Head.jpg

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah but Firestorm has always been super garish

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I

I actually think that looks pretty cool

please don't hurt me

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Its okay Solar

We can go make a clubhouse

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Justice League #1 to have print/digital combo edition:
    On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will make publishing history again with their first-ever comic book combo pack. Each issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE, by New York Times bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and bestselling artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee, will be available in a convenient combo pack including a print edition and digital version of the comic book.

Those who want a physical copy of JUSTICE LEAGUE to read and collect, as well as the ability to download it onto their favorite device for easy transport, get ready. Each print edition of the comic book and an individual code for digital download will be wrapped in a poly bag and available for $4.99. Separately, the standard version will retail for $3.99 and the digital version will retail for $3.99.

“As we continue to expand our readership and make our titles more accessible to readers everywhere, we’re excited to provide our comic shop retail partners and their consumers with multiple formats of JUSTICE LEAGUE in one convenient place,” said John Rood, EVP Sales, Marketing and Business Development.

Not only will Johns and Lee be collaborating for the first time, but their contemporary take on the origin of the comic book industry’s premier superhero team will be available in DC Comics’ historic first comic book combo pack.

Both digital and print editions of DC’s comics will have parity pricing for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles drop in price down to our standard 1.99 digital price point. Oversized issues, including JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, will start at $3.99 and drop to $2.99 after four weeks.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, I like the idea of the two Firestorms and the combo

Antimatter on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like that titles will drop to 1.99 after 4 weeks. in most cases, i will be able to wait 4 weeks to try the digital version.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Solar, Blankzilla and Antimatter clubhouse

no haters allowed

primary colours mandatory

Solar on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some of these solicits just reek of throwing something, anything, against the wall and hoping it sticks. I don't understand the need to just toss something like Mr. Terrific out there when the best thing it has going is a JG Jones cover.

By the way, I like almost all of these covers, so at least the line will look good on the racks.

I also really wish they would stop making artists become writers. It makes it seem like their philosophy is that anyone can write, it's easy! It is almost as if that in order to deal with their poverty of mid level talent, they turn an artist into a writer since that has some small buzz and mystery to it.

Lux on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well, some writers can be good artists, and vice versa

and then you have people who can write and draw their comics at the same time, which is no mean feat

we'll see how it goes

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Justice League #1 to have print/digital combo edition:
    On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will make publishing history again with their first-ever comic book combo pack. Each issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE, by New York Times bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and bestselling artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee, will be available in a convenient combo pack including a print edition and digital version of the comic book.

Those who want a physical copy of JUSTICE LEAGUE to read and collect, as well as the ability to download it onto their favorite device for easy transport, get ready. Each print edition of the comic book and an individual code for digital download will be wrapped in a poly bag and available for $4.99. Separately, the standard version will retail for $3.99 and the digital version will retail for $3.99.

“As we continue to expand our readership and make our titles more accessible to readers everywhere, we’re excited to provide our comic shop retail partners and their consumers with multiple formats of JUSTICE LEAGUE in one convenient place,” said John Rood, EVP Sales, Marketing and Business Development.

Not only will Johns and Lee be collaborating for the first time, but their contemporary take on the origin of the comic book industry’s premier superhero team will be available in DC Comics’ historic first comic book combo pack.

Both digital and print editions of DC’s comics will have parity pricing for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles drop in price down to our standard 1.99 digital price point. Oversized issues, including JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, will start at $3.99 and drop to $2.99 after four weeks.

That poly bag sounds like a really dumb idea. Really dumb.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ohh my god, I just woke up, and all the artists are writing all the books.

What the fuck happened. Where is James Robinson Hawkman? Why is Manipal writing the flash?

What the fucking fuck?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    well, some writers can be good artists, and vice versa

and then you have people who can write and draw their comics at the same time, which is no mean feat

we'll see how it goes

But that's exactly it. It's like instead of developing or signing people who have a proven track record and will have a buzz around their book, they choose a known name with a big question mark because "Francis Manapul? I wonder if he can write," is better (neutral) hype than "JT Krul? Okay, I'm skipping that."

It's just such an unfortunate way to deal with their small talent pool.

Lux on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cornell's tweets keep making me wonder just how many new readers is DC really expecting with this threeboot. Everyone keeps talking like the floodgates are going to open because the dam of continuity has been crushed, killing the Transformer inside of it.

And with the whole artist becoming writers, it doesn't bother me when the artist works his way up the ladder to get a top spot. Jurgens started as an artist, worked on a c-list character in Booster to develop his skills, and ultimately got bumped up to Superman and DC architect of the 90's. That's a completely fair way to go about it. The same thing with Phil Hester using the indy scene to get the WW gig. But just throwing Dave Finch and Tony Daniel a big name Bat book, what the hell.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, looks like I'm going to be a month behind on all my DC books, moving forward.

Munch on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But just throwing Dave Finch and Tony Daniel a big name Bat book, what the hell.

To be fair, Tony Daniel has written before on his own creator-owned work with The Tenth and F5.

But yes, it does seem like "I've draw his stuff, I think I get how it works. Words come out of their mouths right?"

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

This right here is reason enough to be cautiously optimistic about the reboot.

His run on Iron Fist was some of the best stuff I've read in years. I'd love to see what he could do with Batman.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty unhappy with all of this. I would have chanced a James Robinson Hawkman picking up from Brightest Day, but an enritely rebooted one by Tony Daniel and Philip Tan sounds utterly terrible. Why would they build the profile of these characters and then smash them with horrible creative teams and a complete reboot?

Mr. Terrific and Captain Atom also could be good books under writers who have used them before, but Eric Wallace and JT Krul? Nope.

I hope Manipal on the Flash is good, because his art is wonderful, but I've got a bad hunch. I'll wait until this hits trade to even give it a chance.

Here's what I'm interested in so far:
    JLA
    Aquaman
    Firestorm (If Gail wasn't involved, I would not even bother)
    JLI

If my wallet can handle it, Wonder Woman.

Let's hope the other 41 titles aren't awful. DC has really dropped the ball here. I don't mind a reboot, but their biggest problem these last few years have been horrible creative team choices. It seems like they're assigning writers out of a hat now; at this rate we'll have another full reboot in 12 months, and it will end up being Heroes Return.

Needless to say, most of my excitement for this has dissapated.

HadjiQuest on