As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Games and Technology
QvV71.png

And now, some history, thanks to Jucksalbe & HG101.

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (September 11th, 1987)

VxGZz.pngkVyjV.pngpVjDc.png

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II (April 6th, 1990)

6oGkr.jpgnJpsO.pngQJHEC.png
  • Released for: Famicom, Super Famicom (Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei)
  • No English release available!
  • Screenshots by HardcoreGaming101

Shin Megami Tensei (October 30th, 1992)

tn7Sub.pngpJ00ab.pngiDSf8uaP3awy.png ipk3KJz5bnTny.png

Shin Megami Tensei II (March 18th, 1994)

iKUKR.pngy0ESu.pngOIvwM.png KdUXc.gif
Shin Megami Tensei if... (October 28th, 1994)

MEwe7.pngrvBIc.pngZtr3J.png
Shin Megami Tensei (III): Nocturne / Lucifer's Call (February 20th, 2003)

tMbx2.pngmiOVa.pngkxRVH.png
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Kkpcs.pngMQJvJ.pngSsmoF.png
  • Released for: 3DS (JP: 2013)
  • English release not yet announced

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (October 8th, 2009)

nny2m.pngWQj8o.png MOqe1.png bAmnr.png ej0Ph.png

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (December 25th, 1995)

C9cyC.pngJzkpL.png cOO3M.png 05kZj.png
  • Released for: Sega Saturn, PSP
  • No English release available!
  • Screenshots by Saint35.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (December 13th, 1997)

m22Md.pngwktCm.pngyPvrM.png

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (March 2nd, 2006)

rBFfe.pngE5aSx.pngd15R1.png
  • Released for: PlayStation 2
  • English release available (NA and PAL region)!
  • Music: Battle

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (October 23rd, 2008)

DPdUS.pngNoZe6.pngdRHgt.png
  • Released for: PlayStation 2
  • English release available (NA only!)!
  • Music: Adventure

Revelations: Persona (September 20th, 1996)

VmTRh.pngbB30z.pngaTXeC.png

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (June 24th, 1999)

Dlpz6.pngZ2O9Q.png1byLR.png
  • Released for: PlayStation, PSP
  • English release available (PSP only, NA and PAL region)!
  • Fan translation (PSX version)

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (June 29th, 2000)

8AnlJ.png8okh5.pngnPCbW.png

Persona 3 / Persona 3 FES (July 13th, 2006)

0XEhE.pngQG3oc.pngFuKmx.png
  • Released for: PlayStation 2, PSP, PSN (FES version)
  • English release available (PSN version only in NA, every other version released everywhere)
  • Best version: FES on consoles, P3P on the go
  • Music: Want to Be Close, Danger Zone (PSP only), Battle Hymn for the Soul

Persona 4 (July 10th, 2008)

wb9Xg.pngly1Z8.pngodMTP.png

Persona 4: The Arena (March 1st, 2012)

DOroH.png
  • Released for: Arcade, PlayStation 3, XBox 360
  • English release available (released in NA, PAL region: someday)

Digital Devil Saga (Avatar Tuner) (July 15th, 2004)

YxKDE.pngGnq2c.pngN8nUI.png

Digital Devil Saga 2 (Avatar Tuner 2) (January 27th, 2005)

Z86tR.pngSxY6W.pngAbeXp.png

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Overclocked) (January 15th, 2009)

JMjJo.png0mqMp.pnglsROo.png
    • Released for: Nintendo DS, 3DS
    • English release available (DS: NA only, 3DS: released (NA), 2012 (PAL))

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (July 28th, 2011)

J2NXw.pngExVgO.png12h0c.png
    • Released for: Nintendo DS
    • English release available (released (NA), 2012 (PAL))

Oh, and one more thing.

tumblr_m9rcpz5ise1rcj4y6o1_500.png

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, there are a lot more Megami Tensei games than I was aware of. Also, Persona 4: Golden is generally considered the best version of P4 (aside from weird people who think Chie's original voice actress was better), yes? I am certainly enjoying it.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Question.

I've been playing Persona 4: Golden, and every so often in a dungeon I hear rattling chains. What is up with that?

Also, is it me or does Rise cheering you on during all-out attacks cause them to do much less damage?

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Razia wrote: »
    Question.

I've been playing Persona 4: Golden, and every so often in a dungeon I hear rattling chains. What is up with that?

You've been on a floor too long. Death is coming. Run.

@Dusda: Yes, it does add a lot of content, but I'm satisfied with the PS2 version for now. The core version was already a fantastic game(even if NG+ draaaags).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Question.

Also, is it me or does Rise cheering you on during all-out attacks cause them to do much less damage?

You are about to be eaten by a grue.
    I'm only half-kidding, that is the sound of the Reaper and it is a thing that will wreck you and everything you hold dear.

For the Rise Cheer thing, I have been keeping an eye on that, but it's been doing more damage for me. Only a marginal amount, but more nonetheless.

Also ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooou Void Quest.
    Fought Mitsuo for a good fifteen, twenty minutes basically whittling him down because I didn't want to grind anymore and I figured my level 41 party with my main using a pimped King Frost would manage. I was...mostly right since I had him whittled to completely out of health. I guess his shell prevents him from fully dying, though? Anyway, I knocked him off of it once, he attacks my protag (only character left alive) and then uses Fear Touch. "Donthitdonthitdonthitgoddamnit" Main character is too afraid to use the last turn that would be necessary to kill the fucking thing and GUESS WHAT GASTLY WAIL.

Fuck you, Mitsuo.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yosuke has forever ruined Ryoji for me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Question.

@Dusda: Yes, it does add a lot of content, but I'm satisfied with the PS2 version for now. The core version was already a fantastic game(even if NG+ draaaags).

They changed things in P4 Golden. Death is coming, but he doesn't chase you anymore. He'll just inhabit a regular chest on the level. If you start to open a chest and get a really bad feeling about it (the game makes it abundantly clear when this happens), just say no.

I'm pretty sure even if you dislike Chie's new VA, there will be enough new stuff in P4G to make it the best version of the game for you. They've improved the fuck out of the game, somehow, even though the original was amazing.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I always hear about this Persona thing. And it reminds me I need to watch the anime, and probably play one of them one of these days....

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Question.

They changed things in P4 Golden. Death is coming, but he doesn't chase you anymore. He'll just inhabit a regular chest on the level. If you start to open a chest and get a really bad feeling about it (the game makes it abundantly clear when this happens), just say no.

I'm pretty sure even if you dislike Chie's new VA, there will be enough new stuff in P4G to make it the best version of the game for you. They've improved the fuck out of the game, somehow, even though the original was amazing.

I'm no fan of the creepy fan service content, but from what I've seen, I'd honestly buy it just for the Jester link.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Hooray for the new thread. I'm glad it's back in your hands cj.

I recently started up a replay of P3:FES, because I grabbed it when it was on sale on the PSN. Does this version still have some horrible glitch that deletes saves?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm finishing up my replay of P3 Vanilla, ideally to kill Elizabeth(in Kyoto now), and then I might do The Answer for kicks.

Wonder if there's some way to make it even harder...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Question.

I'm no fan of the creepy fan service content, but from what I've seen, I'd honestly buy it just for the Jester link.

I don't want to defend the fan service stuff too vigorously, but it's a pretty small percentage of the additions overall. I'm not saying go buy a Vita just for the game, but if a Vita happened to fall off a truck and into your lap, P4G is one of the first games you should own for the system.

• Options
    The first game I'd buy would be DJ MAX Technika. P4G would probably be the second.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    P3 and P4 are all about hanging out with yo girls and yo bros. With occasional dungeon crawling on the side.

Oh yeah, Golden's fan service-y moments, sexual or not, do angry up the blood, but I found the whole package to be very much worth a Vita.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I really wish that P3P was as awesome as P4G.
    I miss animated cutscenes and walking around town. :(
    At least it added the ability to control your party members though, I suppose.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I dunno, persona fanservice is pretty tame I find

bath towels, swimsuits, and kimonos are not exactly the most scandalous things in the world

It feels more like it's for the characters themselves than the player

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Most of it is pretty easy to ignore.

Still creepy though.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    old thread discussions:

-Yosuke is the best/worst/good/bad/horrible/teenager/likable/hate-worthy/okay character in P4, but everyone agrees he's a creeper in training.
    -Kanji is the bro-est bro there is
    -Rise is loved/reviled by everyone, y u no see that?
    -Chie's new VA is the best/the worst/actually the best. haters gonna hate. Otakus feel betrayed by Atlus.
    -Teddie is awesome if he didnt squeek everytime he walked.

that's most of it, ya'll can fill in the rest :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not sure if I would like Rise as much as I do if she wasn't voiced by Laura Bailey.

Thankfully, we don't live in a world where I'll have to find that out.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, might as well try out this Janitor job in P4G. Saw a lot of people doing it in the "cloud", so figured might as well.

...oh, hey, someone with a portrait and voiced, they've gotta be important...
    oh god I need a adult D: Can't say I was expecting the Devil link to be THERE...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I really liked Chie's new VA.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I see people bitch about it being fanservice-y.

I play it and see nothing out of place and a set of situations that are actually pretty normal and generally come out naturally.

I must be missing these bits people are bitching about. Or these people bitching are wizards who spent their highschool years learning magic.

I am not sure which.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    You forgot to put Best Version: Vita under Persona 4 Golden.

And the creepy fanservice elements are miniscule. They added like a 40 second bathing scene if you beat the optional dungeon. Sure, it's lame but it's also pretty tame by anime standards (lots of smoke & fog) and represents a tiny part of all the stuff they added and improved. Oh and I guess they added some skimpy optional costumes as well but those were in Persona 3 as well. Ignoring the many hours of new content and the extensive improvements they made to the gameplay just because they threw in a short PG-13 bathing cutscene is ignorant. And hey, if it really bothers you, just skip the cutscene.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Also it's almost written in stone that the DS 2 anime will produce an overclocked for that game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The cast of the upcoming Persona 4 live action movie has been confirmed. Produced/directed by Tyler Perry.
    tumblr_m7dys2zpr51qj0ouyo1_500.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    The cast of the upcoming Persona 4 live action movie has been confirmed. Produced/directed by Tyler Perry.
    tumblr_m7dys2zpr51qj0ouyo1_500.jpg

Yosuke is the best part of this image. And that's some tough competition, given that it is in general a fucking amazing image.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As someone who has never played this games, Persona 4 is almost cult-like in its following.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    Holy crap, there are a lot more Megami Tensei games than I was aware of.
    There's TECHNICALLY alot more spinoffs even, but most of them aren't worth mentioning, or are downright bad. (We don't talk about demikids)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    As someone who has never played this games, Persona 4 is almost cult-like in its following.

Join us... it's bliss!

• Options
    edited December 2012

It's a pretty good game. I say this as someone who generally loathes JRPGs.

Persona 3, 4, and Radiant Historia are the only JRPGs in the past many years I'd say are just all around good games with no need for qualifying statements.

I'm not counting Zeboyd Games as JRPGs.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    You really need to do something about that. ;)

These are the best JRPGs money can buy.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't own a PS2.

The remake is on the Vita...do I need to go further?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Man how do you not own a PS2

Lacking a Vita...I understand completely. The only reason I'm getting P4G is the Vita is coming out of somebody ELSES money.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I don't own a PS2 either, so I can understand.
    I have a first gen PS3 instead.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Join us... it's bliss!

L3vi3.png

(forgive me, I have only MS Paint to work with on this computer.)

• Options
    I don't own a PS2.

The remake is on the Vita...do I need to go further?

If you have a PS3 or PSP, you can get Persona 3 (either P3:FES or P3:Portable). Persona 3 isn't as good as Persona 4 Golden but it's still a good game.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Got to be honest, I know I'm greatly outnumbered but I still like Persona 3 more than 4 but not by much.

Theres a Junpei and Aigis sized hole in my heart that Yosuke and Teddie just can't fill.

Burn my dread is my musical religion.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You are freaking KILLING me Atlus. bring some of those fuckers to the Vita! Or port P4G! One or the other!