As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Steam Holiday Miracle is over!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Ground Zeroes S-Rank achieved, yay!

...still just 5 patches though, but since the pressure is off, I can scour the map to my heart's content

Soon you will be on my quest to S rank all the missions and get 100% complete! At 77% myself right now. :D

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I really really want Elite Dangerous, but it's still $60 because it just launched and I don't know 100% if I have this job or not till next week, but new job or not, I'll likely snag it on the 1st. I want to skim all the stars for fuel and chase bounties past far undiscovered moons.

• Options
    Also I really wish Steam had an option to filter friends by game because I don't know who I can play Depth with.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    I'm toying with buying Wargame Red Dragon... hrmm...

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Weaver wrote: »
    Also I really wish Steam had an option to filter friends by game because I don't know who I can play Depth with.

There's the "friends that own" section on a game's store page. Is that too limited, or

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tamin/friendsthatplay/274940 ?

Tamin on
  • Options
    It'd be way better to be able to pull your friends module and then have a filter option.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

It isn't ideal, but if you go to the store page for the game, it'll show friends who already own it on the right side.

Edit: I'm slow.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ground Zeroes S-Rank achieved, yay!

...still just 5 patches though, but since the pressure is off, I can scour the map to my heart's content

Soon you will be on my quest to S rank all the missions and get 100% complete! At 77% myself right now. :D

That quest started with clicking the "purchase" button

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I'm streaming some Elite: Dangerous now if anyone is on the fence about it.

But you should really be buying games on steam right now if that's the case.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    How's the learning curve in Elite? I could never get into the X games because the tutorial was shit and I had no interest in spending hours reading a wiki.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    How's the learning curve in Elite? I could never get into the X games because the tutorial was shit and I had no interest in spending hours reading a wiki.

The tutorials are pretty basic, but it covers combat, taking off, docking and jumping between systems. I skipped some of the more advanced combat tutorials, but everything other than what I mentioned you kinda have to just pick up on the run. It no doubt helps if you've played any of the old Elite games, but it's not that hard to get the hang of the basics.

Weirdly, there's a "new players should watch this video" link in the game that just kicks you out to a browser window and this YouTube video from the developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crL9H_Vx68Y

There are a couple more of them and it's fine that they do it, it's just a little jarring.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Alright

This is the important question

How is the music in Elite: Dangerous

If it is sort light and moody electronic stuff kinda like an X game I will buy it the second I get home

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    My main complaint with X3TC was how not-interactive is was. Pilot the ship to a gate, speed up time, slap on auto pilot, rinse repeat. You spent a lot of time just watching the screen and not even touching the controls.

Watching monsterror play ED I am even more on the fence about the game. The sound is really terrific, and it's quite pretty, but space trucking is a matter of choosing a mission, undocking, warping to the system, docking, completing the mission. I think I would want some pretty reasonable progression so I'm not space trucking for very long.

• Options
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    My main complaint with X3TC was how not-interactive is was. Pilot the ship to a gate, speed up time, slap on auto pilot, rinse repeat. You spent a lot of time just watching the screen and not even touching the controls.

Watching monsterror play ED I am even more on the fence about the game. The sound is really terrific, and it's quite pretty, but space trucking is a matter of choosing a mission, undocking, warping to the system, docking, completing the mission. I think I would want some pretty reasonable progression so I'm not space trucking for very long.

To be fair, I was only doing courier missions. Actual space trucking is a lot more involved with having to play the market on the Commodities Market and going system to system to sell at a higher price. Some systems ban certain commodities, though, so you have to make sure you don't go to the wrong one and wander too close to a station.

• Options
    Also its important to note that that game is still super early access. They don't have much of a story implemented at all yet, so right now its probably going to be just space trucking/pirating.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I should be less obvious about sending friend requests during sales. It opens me right up to pre-emptive gifting opportunities.
    AhavaSaga_zps529839e5.jpg

My inventory is now a procession of Sarahs.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I caved and put Valkyria Chronicles on my wish list because it reminds me of-

http://youtu.be/SUjiXriGFbo

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Fishman wrote: »
    I should be less obvious about sending friend requests during sales. It opens me right up to pre-emptive gifting opportunities.
    AhavaSaga_zps529839e5.jpg

My inventory is now a procession of Sarahs.

That is an awesome message

The game is supposed to be good too, I suppose

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    VC was on daily so it's probably not going to be again, or lower than 25%.

• Options
    monsterror wrote: »

To be fair, I was only doing courier missions. Actual space trucking is a lot more involved with having to play the market on the Commodities Market and going system to system to sell at a higher price. Some systems ban certain commodities, though, so you have to make sure you don't go to the wrong one and wander too close to a station.

Is there any reason to explore around? Like, cool stuff to find hidden off to the side. It is a multiplayer game so I assume there won't be stuff like random ships to take like in X3, but I'd like some more things to do than just buying and selling.

• Options
    Ok, had 4 patches, got 5 now. I got tapes 2, 3, 4, 5.
    And I found nv goggles! I thought they'd help me spot the remaining patches, because it outlines interactive objects slightly (got another tape thanks to it), but nooope.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Good golly ground zeroes is a pretty game

and the sound design is awesome

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    It's really, really nice on a pair of surround headphones. Well, it is on the PS4, at least, so I imagine that is still true on the PC.

Does the PC version have second screen smart phone / tablet support?

• Options
    Snake is so goddamn jacked you guys

look
    at
    dem
    legs

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Is there any reason to explore around? Like, cool stuff to find hidden off to the side. It is a multiplayer game so I assume there won't be stuff like random ships to take like in X3, but I'd like some more things to do than just buying and selling.

Voyager 2 is somewhere in there (where it would actually be by the time ED rolls around, apparently), there are distress calls, you can mine asteroid belts, you can fly around and explore systems and then sell the map information to Universal Cartographics. And there's all the combat stuff as well, whether it's mercenary work, bounty hunting or some good old-fashioned piracy.

And there are other types of missions than just courier. I had one where I had to go to the aftermath of a pirate ambush and use my cargo scoop to scoop up the black box from the wreckage before the cops got there.

But monsterterror is right when he says that it's really an early access game even if its not billed as such. They're talking big about landing on planets and first person segments being added in updates (or paid expansions) later on, but right now it's "just" a prettier version of Elite.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I beat Transistor last night, what a bizarrely disappointing game with a wonderful soundtrack and art.

• Options
    Anyone who has Depth or Guns of Icarus, those are the two multiplayer games I'm focusing on tonight so hit me up if you want to play.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Snake is so goddamn jacked you guys

look
    at
    dem
    legs

I'm gonna get those Puma boots ...

One way or another.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

So far the bulk of my gameplay has been bounty hunting. I put a warrant scanner on my ship which tells me if there are any outstanding bounties on a given ship for any of the main governments. Then I just cruise around asteroid fields and planetary rings in anarchistic star systems looking for criminals to blow up.

You can put a scanning suite on your ship which lets you collect data for unexplored star systems and sell the info to Universal Cartgographics. In addition there's just some cool stuff out there, if the idea of planetary nebula and systems with 14 suns are things that particularly excite you.

You can also participate in civil wars or the overarching galactic drama and... I don't know. Mostly it's just a really chill game about flying around in space. There's pretty much no end of stuff to do, but like, say, DayZ, you really have to set your own goals and there's a lot of down time just running from point A to point B. Also a lot of people will probably find the tasks pretty repetitive.

I think it's pretty fucking awesome but I've always wanted to live out the most boring parts of Cowboy Bebop. Stuff like docking and setting hyperspace routes and just existing in a fantastical setting. In that respect the game is really fleshed-out. Some people probably hate that it takes 15 seconds to lower your ship from a landing pad into the outfitting hangar, but I've played maybe 10 hours this week and all of that stuff still makes me grin like a dumb nerd.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    That sounds pretty amazing, ugh

60 dollar amazing though?

Maybe

Maaaaybe

Yeah I'm probably going to end up doing it. I'll be up all night anyway, getting off work at 11 tonight then going in tomorrow at 8.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I bought Don't Starve Together and Banner Saga!

I am probably gonna cut back on my Steam spending now though

Too many real-world things to pay for :(

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Both of those games are going to wait though, because I just made a ballin' baller Qunari Inquisilady and Dragon Age is too good not to play again

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    What's the Banner Saga like? Viking XCOM?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It is incredible characters with a really cool battle system on the worlds most boring arenas

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What's the Banner Saga like? Viking XCOM?

Half of the gameplay is like oregon trail where you run into decisions to make about what to do with the people and situations your caravan encounters.

The other half of gameplay is a turn based tactics game, maybe closer to fire emblem then XCOM. It had pretty unique mechanics overall for a turn based game.

The writing, art and music are all top notch too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Cilla Black

Here's the music during Supercruise (in system speedy travel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiaSzaTFRKA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqcqFssESM

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Steam doesn't have an option for filtering friends by what games they have, so if anyone has Depth and wants to join up in either fighting sharks, or being a shark, hit me up. My steam name is in my sig.

I now wish I had clipped that webcomic with the smarmy guy going "Actualllllyyyy" or whatever, but anyway.

Steam -> Library -> Games -> [Game you want to play] -> View all friends who play this game.

6fjKCOi.jpg

The View all button will bring up a screen with three categories.

Friends who have played the game in the last 2 weeks, friends who have played the game before that, and friends who want the game.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    @zoel has gotten me the gift of Transistor. Also reminded me of a nickname i used in jokes mostly.

In short, Zoel is pretty great.

• Options
    Ok Fyndir that is a way of doing things, but it isn't a single click option from the friends module.

This discussion has been closed.